Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can't afford college ? That smarts

UM-Bot

Phillip Tilley: More and more college students are dropping out and moving home or getting menial jobs. Maybe you are one of them. Not because you cannot make the grade, but because you have run out of money. Some colleges report enrolments down 6-20%. Add to that the fact that college tuition has risen by 6.6% and the problem compounds.

Why should it matter if students are dropping out of college? According to the U.S. Census Bureau it matters. Their figures show direct correlation between the level of your education and how much you will earn over your lifetime. If you have a High School diploma you earn on average $27,915 per year and over your lifetime will earn 1.2 million Federal Reserve Notes.

If you get an Associates Degree you earn on average $37,000 per year and 1.4 million Federal Reserve Notes over your lifetime. A Bachelors Degree nets you $51,206 per year and 1.6 million over your lifetime. A Masters Degree earns on average $74,602 per year and 2.6 million over your lifetime.

According to the IRS, personal income fell this year by .5% on average and it fell by 3.5% in real spendable income. That means on average Americans earned less this year than the year before and after taxes had less to actually spend. It is no wonder consumers cannot spend their way out of this depression!

Also the standard of living in America fell. According to the IMF, the International Monetary Fund, the U.S. dropped from #4 to #9 in the world as far as standard of living is concerned. If you cannot complete college because you ran out of money, you earn less money and the standard of living in America will continue to fall.

You cannot expect the economy to improve if your smartest citizens are working as janitors and fast food cooks because they are too poor to continue their education. Maybe someone should write the book “Drop Outs for Dummies”. The brain drain is comparable to the Great Depression where the nations hope for a brighter future ended up swinging picks and shovels in government works programs.

Last year the U.S. patent office reported for the first time ever the majority of applications for patients, 51%, were filed by foreign companies and individuals, compared to 49% for Americans. A high college dropout rate costs the nation in lost innovation and creativity. Those are my findings anyway and if they are correct I have found what was lost.

It almost looks like a conspiracy to turn Americans into wage slaves. Oh, wait a minute, they already are. Not only have the powers that be calculated how much you will earn, they have also calculated how over your lifetime they will separate you from it. For the college dropouts this is in the form of student loans they must now repay or default on.

It is true to one degree or another that a fool and his money soon part. Wake up people, the money matrix has you.

Phillip Tilley is author of The Money Matrix of the New World Order and other articles.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Render

• Lithane

• Oen Anderson

• little_dreamer

Maybe more will begin taking up studies in Europe?

The cost contrast is huge. Sweden, Norway, Poland offer free higher education even.

The average cost in a lot of countries in Europe lies around 746$ US/year.

Maybe the US just tries to hard to make higher education something elite, with their massive campusses, etc. Causing to exclude everyone from that system eventually.

Like everything you pay a lot of money for, you should ask what the return is on your investment.

Will it really help your life once you graduate, or will you be stuck in student loan hell?

You can always come to Argentina, like a good number of USa students do, where you have both private and public Universities, and the most prestigious public University do not suck.

Maybe more will begin taking up studies in Europe?

The cost contrast is huge. Sweden, Norway, Poland offer free higher education even.

The average cost in a lot of countries in Europe lies around 746$ US/year.

Studying in Europe would oftentimes require that students learn an entirely new language fluently before they could even apply. I doubt Sweden, Norway, or Poland have any colleges that are English-speaking only. This creates an enormous language barrier for any American students hoping to escape the extremely high costs of education in their own country.

Studying in Europe would oftentimes require that students learn an entirely new language fluently before they could even apply. I doubt Sweden, Norway, or Poland have any colleges that are English-speaking only. This creates an enormous language barrier for any American students hoping to escape the extremely high costs of education in their own country.

Poland:

http://www.uw.edu.pl/en/page.php/stud/dge.html

Degree Programmes in English

* Studies in English

- degree programmes

o BA Philosophy Studies

o Executive MBA

o MA American Studies

o MA International Business Programme

o MA Program in Development Economics

o MA Program in European Finance and Banking

o MA Program in European Studies

o MA Program in International Economics

o MA Program in International Relations

o MA Program in Political Science

o MA Psychology Program

http://www.pwr.wroc.pl/26479.xml

Sweden

http://www.studyinsweden.se/Study-options/

Another decision is what language you would like to study in. Most likely you will study one of the 600 English-language degree programs, but if your Swedish is fluent, Swedish courses are open to you as well, giving you even greater choice.

Denmark

http://www.studyindenmark.dk/study-programmes/programmes-in-english/bachelor

Better equiped than thought.

Poland:

http://www.uw.edu.pl/en/page.php/stud/dge.html

Degree Programmes in English

* Studies in English

- degree programmes

o BA Philosophy Studies

o Executive MBA

o MA American Studies

o MA International Business Programme

o MA Program in Development Economics

o MA Program in European Finance and Banking

o MA Program in European Studies

o MA Program in International Economics

o MA Program in International Relations

o MA Program in Political Science

o MA Psychology Program

http://www.pwr.wroc.pl/26479.xml

Sweden

http://www.studyinsweden.se/Study-options/

Another decision is what language you would like to study in. Most likely you will study one of the 600 English-language degree programs, but if your Swedish is fluent, Swedish courses are open to you as well, giving you even greater choice.

Denmark

http://www.studyindenmark.dk/study-programmes/programmes-in-english/bachelor

Better equiped than thought.

It's quite surprising that all of those schools offer such courses! Wow.

What is unsurprising is that only the schools in Denmark and Poland offer Bachelors degree courses and all of them require that you are already enrolled in another school's exchange program or have already had some transferable course credits in place from a previous school. This wouldn't work out for a student that has not previously had the money to enroll in any sort of higher education.

I'm not at all complaining that other countries' schools aren't equipped to take those that do not speak the country's language; no, not at all. I simply find it unfortunate that in a country like the United States, the chance for a better future is not something offered to all who have the devotion and ambition to go after it, but is instead based upon who can afford it.

EDIT: brb, eating my words. Apparently, the Denmark school offers Bachelors courses for high school graduates who speak English proficiently. Quite impressive. I do believe I'll be looking into that. Tuition for foreigners isn't free, though, unfortunately.

Edited by Lithane

That's what happened to me. I couldn't afford to take more then one year. And I'm still paying that year off.

It's quite surprising that all of those schools offer such courses! Wow.

What is unsurprising is that only the schools in Denmark and Poland offer Bachelors degree courses and all of them require that you are already enrolled in another school's exchange program or have already had some transferable course credits in place from a previous school. This wouldn't work out for a student that has not previously had the money to enroll in any sort of higher education.

I'm not at all complaining that other countries' schools aren't equipped to take those that do not speak the country's language; no, not at all. I simply find it unfortunate that in a country like the United States, the chance for a better future is not something offered to all who have the devotion and ambition to go after it, but is instead based upon who can afford it.

EDIT: brb, eating my words. Apparently, the Denmark school offers Bachelors courses for high school graduates who speak English proficiently. Quite impressive. I do believe I'll be looking into that. Tuition for foreigners isn't free, though, unfortunately.

I didn't imply you were complaining..sorry if it came across like that.

I think in time they'll offer more programmes in English (they seem to be headed that way), and the more that sign up maybe the cheaper it'll get. I also think a student is extra motivated when they study abbroad. So if the school gets funds for every graduate this would work out smoothly.

I didn't imply you were complaining..sorry if it came across like that.

Oh, I know. I just wanted to throw that out there so that it was clear; I thought it sounded like I was expecting other countries to take care of our students. My apologies.

Phillip Tilley: More and more college students are dropping out and moving home or getting menial jobs. Maybe you are one of them. Not because you cannot make the grade, but because you have run out of money. Some colleges report enrolments down 6-20%. Add to that the fact that college tuition has risen by 6.6% and the problem compounds.

Why should it matter if students are dropping out of college? According to the U.S. Census Bureau it matters. Their figures show direct correlation between the level of your education and how much you will earn over your lifetime. If you have a High School diploma you earn on average $27,915 per year and over your lifetime will earn 1.2 million Federal Reserve Notes.

If you get an Associates Degree you earn on average $37,000 per year and 1.4 million Federal Reserve Notes over your lifetime. A Bachelors Degree nets you $51,206 per year and 1.6 million over your lifetime. A Masters Degree earns on average $74,602 per year and 2.6 million over your lifetime.

According to the IRS, personal income fell this year by .5% on average and it fell by 3.5% in real spendable income. That means on average Americans earned less this year than the year before and after taxes had less to actually spend. It is no wonder consumers cannot spend their way out of this depression!

Also the standard of living in America fell. According to the IMF, the International Monetary Fund, the U.S. dropped from #4 to #9 in the world as far as standard of living is concerned. If you cannot complete college because you ran out of money, you earn less money and the standard of living in America will continue to fall.

You cannot expect the economy to improve if your smartest citizens are working as janitors and fast food cooks because they are too poor to continue their education. Maybe someone should write the book “Drop Outs for Dummies”. The brain drain is comparable to the Great Depression where the nations hope for a brighter future ended up swinging picks and shovels in government works programs.

Last year the U.S. patent office reported for the first time ever the majority of applications for patients, 51%, were filed by foreign companies and individuals, compared to 49% for Americans. A high college dropout rate costs the nation in lost innovation and creativity. Those are my findings anyway and if they are correct I have found what was lost.

It almost looks like a conspiracy to turn Americans into wage slaves. Oh, wait a minute, they already are. Not only have the powers that be calculated how much you will earn, they have also calculated how over your lifetime they will separate you from it. For the college dropouts this is in the form of student loans they must now repay or default on.

It is true to one degree or another that a fool and his money soon part. Wake up people, the money matrix has you.

Phillip Tilley is author of The Money Matrix of the New World Order and other articles.

isn't there government funding for college education where you pay it back once you have a well paying job after you finish your degree.......it's like that where i live! :mellow:

It's unfortunate that Americans increasingly can't afford college, but, may I say this as a spokesperson for aspiring foreign students, universities in the US are still the best and most sought after. The economics needs to be fixed. Don't ditch the universities.

can they not get loans

Some people can't get a loan unless they have a co-signer. My own son had me co-sign his loans and it was enough to get him through a year and a half of his field of study. Now the banks won't loan any more funds, he can't continue going to college and I am stuck paying on his loans which all came due six months after he was no longer a student. With unemployment as high as it is it's double hard for someone without a degree or experience to get a good job. So he's working nights as a janitor to help pay off his loans. I don't think it's exactly the future he had in mind two years ago!

US university links exam success to weight loss

How would you feel if you had studied for your university degree but were unable to graduate because you were overweight?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8376858.stm

Only in America i suppose...sigh.

US eeps making such an ass of itself.

First it fattens itself up then it attempts to make it better by not giving ppl their degree they've worked for.

It's great that they finally realise something has to be done..but like this .. sheesh...No wonder the rest of the world thinks the US is retarded.

• 3 months later...

Some people can't get a loan unless they have a co-signer. My own son had me co-sign his loans and it was enough to get him through a year and a half of his field of study. Now the banks won't loan any more funds, he can't continue going to college and I am stuck paying on his loans which all came due six months after he was no longer a student. With unemployment as high as it is it's double hard for someone without a degree or experience to get a good job. So he's working nights as a janitor to help pay off his loans. I don't think it's exactly the future he had in mind two years ago!

I understand that feeling perfectly. I have to pay for BLET training to go into law and have to get accepted with a police force but that all cost money and the police forces have to think about payment as well. Many students and companies are making cut backs on budgets and people they have because it is getting way too expensive. Now with the idea of forcing people to have a government health care plan also known as health insurance, how are people going to pay for that as well. Think, you'll have people driving around without car insurance but have health insurance or visa versa, have car insurance but no health insurance. Then you've got power bills, water bills, house payments, apartment rent or own payments, car payments, food at the grocery stores with everyone knows isn't getting any cheaper, increase on taxes every where and on everything. There's also the new tax taking effect on resturants called a fast food tax. Then an increase on beer and cigarettes <-- sorry smokers, yeah they're raising it again. Increase mailing taxes are about to go into effect as well. The truth of the matter is that some of the world's most dangerous and smartest people are trying to work an everyday job and are living on the streets now too. The moral of this lesson is: You can only push someone into a corner but so far before they start coming back out swinging and HARD!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that feeling perfectly. I have to pay for BLET training to go into law and have to get accepted with a police force but that all cost money and the police forces have to think about payment as well. Many students and companies are making cut backs on budgets and people they have because it is getting way too expensive. Now with the idea of forcing people to have a government health care plan also known as health insurance, how are people going to pay for that as well. Think, you'll have people driving around without car insurance but have health insurance or visa versa, have car insurance but no health insurance. Then you've got power bills, water bills, house payments, apartment rent or own payments, car payments, food at the grocery stores with everyone knows isn't getting any cheaper, increase on taxes every where and on everything. There's also the new tax taking effect on resturants called a fast food tax. Then an increase on beer and cigarettes <-- sorry smokers, yeah they're raising it again. Increase mailing taxes are about to go into effect as well. The truth of the matter is that some of the world's most dangerous and smartest people are trying to work an everyday job and are living on the streets now too. The moral of this lesson is: You can only push someone into a corner but so far before they start coming back out swinging and HARD!!!

In Tilleys book he points out that you should never take everything from a man, because a man who has nothing has nothing to lose!

• 3 months later...

Free college used to be common in the US for low-income graduate students with high GPAs, such as California until the late 1990s. I would qualify for that but I didn't plan on remaining in the state, except acceptance does require relocation from where I live and the cost of air travel, plus other expenses to rent a dorm and purchase necessary essentials like textbook and supplies. The recommendation of a major (I was "undeclared") and to must take 1-2 or more years of prerequisite classes to qualify for the desired course (mine was cartography or meteorology, but could change it to demographics or journalism) that turns out not to be in high demand. A good alternative is community college which is closer, much cheaper and said to have more emphasis on studying or becoming eligible for employment in corporations whom normally do not accept degrees from community/junior colleges. Now what's up with that? <_<