Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meat grown in laboratory in world first

Still Waters

Scientists have managed to grow a form of meat in a laboratory for the first time, according to reports.

Researchers in the Netherlands created what was described as soggy pork and are now investigating ways to improve the muscle tissue in the hope that people will one day want to eat it.

No one has yet tasted their produce, but it is believed the artificial meat could be on sale within five years.

Vegetarian groups welcomed the news, saying there was “no ethical objection” if meat was not a piece of a dead animal.

Mark Post, professor of physiology at Eindhoven University, told The Sunday Times: “What we have at the moment is rather like wasted muscle tissue. We need to find ways of improving it by training it and stretching it, but we will get there.

“This product will be good for the environment and will reduce animal suffering. If it feels and tastes like meat, people will buy it.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Neognosis

• Whateversmurf

• Admiral Danger

• DurgaMata

It sounds disgusting now, but if/when they get it right, I'll be all for synthetic meat. :tu:

i'm vegetarian, but i think that's gross

i'd rather eat real animals that.

imagine all the chemicals it'd have in it :unsure:

Edited by Strify

So this is good news for animal welfare?

What do you think is going to happen to all those moo cows, piggywigs, lambsies and chooks once they have perfected artificially grown meat? :unsure2:

Of course they will all be set free and allowed to live out their lives in peace and harmony won't they? :innocent:

News for you, Once we don't need them they will all quietly be allowed to become extinct, (i would imagine in about 1 week following the decision to go totally synthetic) after all why waste resources on animals that have no further use.

Mmmm - Soylent Green anyone? :devil:

People don't really think about that glyndowers. We can't let them loose because they would destroy the ecosystem, as they aren't really native to anywhere (cows at least). Pigs and chickens might have a better chance.. .Pigs make some people great pets and chickens can still lay eggs. Cows, however, are expensive. Unless you have land for them to graze on and can afford the vet bills, I can't see people actually having too many as pets. Maybe a longhorn instead of a guard dog here and there. . .hehe.

I read one article where the guy that was involved in "growing" the meat said there was no way he'd ever eat it, even after it was "ready for the market". I think its sort of gross. . .and disturbing on a few levels. I'm all for better treatment of animals, especially those used for food purposes. . .but I'll stick to eating my humanely raised and/or organic meat rather than buy something that was grown in a lab. *shivers*

If they can grow steaks, maybe they can eventual produce one that is bigger then is naturally available? A 200 pound tri-tip anyone?

I agree food animals would not be replaced and probably would just be killed to save money.

If it's tasty, point me at it. I don't eat real food now as it is, so there would be no difference for me. As long as we have sufficiently developed the fake limp meat into something able to be combined with today's burger technology, might as well put vitamins, flouride, fiber and weight loss stuff in there too, I'd find that helpful.

The article says "broth of animal products" so there are still animals being killed for consumption here. Although a lesser degree. Add to that pesticides, herbicides etc. Let's face it we need to kill to eat.

What do you think is going to happen to all those moo cows, piggywigs, lambsies and chooks once they have perfected artificially grown meat?

First off, some will go to zoos.

second, animals that are raised for food now will just live out their usual life expectancy and be slaughtered at the same time they would have been, they just won't be replaced IF the synthetic meat can be made cheaper.

And lastly, all our domesticated food animals are species modified and created by man through selective breeding. Their wild counterparts, for the most part, still exist. Man made the domestic cow and pig and chicken, it is not a horrible thing for them to largely disappear if man stops using them for food.

Like with domestic dogs... you hear on dog shows about "the west georgian cart pulling Mastiff" and you hear how the species was once almost extinct, as west Georgians don't need dogs to pull carts anymore... but the breed was revived due to "the noble efforts" of someone named something like Sir Rowly Fizzlewigs or something like that. Why, exactly, is reviving a breed man created "noble" when man doesn't need that kind of dog anymore, so stopped breeding them?

Eh, I thought that this was what McDonald's already served.

Nibs

First off, some will go to zoos.

second, animals that are raised for food now will just live out their usual life expectancy and be slaughtered at the same time they would have been, they just won't be replaced IF the synthetic meat can be made cheaper.

And lastly, all our domesticated food animals are species modified and created by man through selective breeding. Their wild counterparts, for the most part, still exist. Man made the domestic cow and pig and chicken, it is not a horrible thing for them to largely disappear if man stops using them for food.

Like with domestic dogs... you hear on dog shows about "the west georgian cart pulling Mastiff" and you hear how the species was once almost extinct, as west Georgians don't need dogs to pull carts anymore... but the breed was revived due to "the noble efforts" of someone named something like Sir Rowly Fizzlewigs or something like that. Why, exactly, is reviving a breed man created "noble" when man doesn't need that kind of dog anymore, so stopped breeding them?

I suppose you have to have a love of dogs and/or livestock breeding of any kind to appreciate that. It takes time and effort to create the perfect breed with the desirable traits and so considerable time and effort needs to go in to preserving those traits.

I think I'll stick with the good ol' fashion farmer raised cattle! That picture is making me hungry too. Mmmm.

Does it taste like chicken?

everything tastes like chicken :yes: except for the things that dont :unsure2:

So this is good news for animal welfare?

What do you think is going to happen to all those moo cows, piggywigs, lambsies and chooks once they have perfected artificially grown meat? :unsure2:

Of course they will all be set free and allowed to live out their lives in peace and harmony won't they? :innocent:

News for you, Once we don't need them they will all quietly be allowed to become extinct, (i would imagine in about 1 week following the decision to go totally synthetic) after all why waste resources on animals that have no further use.

Mmmm - Soylent Green anyone? :devil:

Exactly my thoughts. Our livestock is the result of centuries if not millennia of breeding efforts. Giving all of that up in favor of some pseudo-meat does not seem prudent somehow.

that picture just ruins it for me. they should have showed a picture of a tee-bone or something...

the hell is it suppost to be anyways?!?! burnt fish?!

i'm vegetarian, but i think that's gross

i'd rather eat real animals that.

imagine all the chemicals it'd have in it :unsure:

I'm not a vegetarian, but my thoughts were the same as yours. It's a little too weird for me. . . we're gonna be eating meat that was produced in a lab within 5 years (according to the article)? Cloning the animals that produced the best meat wasn't enough - now we're just gonna "grow" our own?

This type of technology creeps me out. I think sometimes it's best to let natural things actually occur naturally.

I am vegetarian, one of the reasons I became one, is when I learn how some of the meat is processed or prepared.

Like those chicken nuggets from McDonald's who really knows what is in them??

sausages? Have you ever seen those pieces of Jamon Serrano (some type of pork) from Spain? they look like momified pieces of meat. What's in the Spam cans?

I don't see much difference between meat from lab and all these type of meats.

Just my two cents

I am vegetarian, one of the reasons I became one, is when I learn how some of the meat is processed or prepared.

sausages? Have you ever seen those pieces of Jamon Serrano (some type of pork) from Spain? they look like momified pieces of meat. What's in the Spam cans?

Just my two cents

Ha, I was once told Spam had chemicals that can cause cancer.

suppose you have to have a love of dogs and/or livestock breeding of any kind to appreciate that. It takes time and effort to create the perfect breed with the desirable traits and so considerable time and effort needs to go in to preserving those traits.

I LOVE dogs. I don't love breeding though, I suppose. Seems like human folly to continue to breed a dog that isn't needed anymore. I just think that when a breed's use goes away, if that breed doesn't transition into another modern use, it should be allowed to fade away. The labrador is an excellent example of a breed that should stick around, because although it's original intention is not popular any longer (most people dont' hunt waterfowl or pull in nets full of fish), the traits that made it a successful fisherman's and hunter's dog make it a good family dog: it is gregarious, gets along with other dogs and animals, is happy, good around kids, compliant, eager to please, etc. etc.

But other breeds, IMO it is not doing anyone, including the dogs themselves, to continue to breed dogs that have a high drive to do something that is no longer done, unless that breed can transition well to a modern use, even if it is just companion dog. idk. I hate the AKC though. I think that they have done more harm to dogs than good.

Let's face it we need to kill to eat.

Yep and that includes plant and fungi.

Yes I have.

In Europe, just chicken breast.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/food/nutrition/our-ingredients.mcd?menu_item=3314#dl

You can check the ingredients list though.

sausages?

Are wonderful, especially dried cured on ones and bratwurst from the Wein nacht markt.

Have you ever seen those pieces of Jamon Serrano (some type of pork) from Spain? they look like momified pieces of meat.

It is dried cured ham and one of the most amazing taste experiences there is, similar to prosciutto di Parma and prosciutto di San Daniel. All that is done to they is salting and drying.

Fresh hams are trimmed and cleaned, then stacked and covered with salt for about two weeks in order to draw off excess moisture and preserve the meat from spoiling. The salt is then washed off and the hams are hung to dry for about six months. Finally, the hams are hung in a cool, dry place for six to eighteen months, depending on the climate, as well as the size and type of ham being cured. The drying sheds (secaderos) are usually built at higher elevations, which is why the ham is called mountain ham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam%C3%B3n_serrano

It is one of the finest foods in the world.

What's in the Spam cans?

Spam

Just my two cents

Erm, you have Serrano ham on that list and you are comparing it to lab produced meat. :no: That is sooooo wrong it is silly.

And vegetarian food can be just as full of rubbish, it just tastes much worse too.

Edited by Mattshark