Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Font Hill Haunting in Newick...

Bellasawrrr

Hello,

4464938_1_propertyDetails.jpg

I live in Newick and i have heard an extremely interesting story about an old house in Newick called Font Hill..

http://www.savills.co.uk/residentialsearch/propertydetail.aspx?pID=L33177 this is a rent advertisement..

Basically i have heard a lot about some strange things that have happened at this house over the past 300 years or so..

It was an Old School House dating back to 1771, and i have heard of some terrible things that have gone on there, i hope that by making a forum on the matter, maybe we can uncover some secrets about this house and maybe get some good ideas about it.

I have heard from a friend who has lived in Sussex for most/all of her life. She tells me about how she went to school with two girls at Burgess Hill school for Girls, and these two girls (who were sisters) both lived at Font Hill with their mother and Father, and apparently about 20 years ago one of the daughters and her father were travelling in a helicopter to the Isle of Wight and their helicopter crashed and they both lost their lives... :(

But, the most sinister and scary thing is, Exactly a year on to that day, the mother and remaining daughter were leaving the house in a storm by driving out and a tree branch was struck by lightning and it fell on their car and crushed them to death.

This is an extremely horrible story, because i know that it is 100% true and it shocks me that something like this could happen in such a small rural village in the sussex countryside..

There have also been many different stories connected to that house, such as hitchhikers being picked up on lanes close to the property, and the driver discovering that it is infact a ghost that he has picked up..

And an elderly lady who lived with her family in a house close to Font Hill apparently just dropped dead one day and the autopsy showed no signs of her cause of death :s

We were told that no birds sing outside that house, which some may think is crazy, but my mother said it is completely true, when she arrived there was this terrible and eerie silence which would cause chills in your spine..

There was also this huge, gnarled tree, which my mum actually described as Scary, which is unlike her, as she was a gardener for over ten years and i would doubt that she would find any tree scary :P apparently it seemed about three meters thick and it had been chopped off so it wasnt that tall, yet the bark was all burnt and ruined as if something had struck it :s

Maybe they chopped off the tree because it was one that caused the death of the mother and daughter?

Why were the mother and daughter leaving the house in such a hurry in a thunder storm? Where they fleeing from something?

4464947_5_propertyDetails.jpg

My mother and her partner actually went to view this house- this is how we found out about it- and she told me she was getting extremely bad vibes off of the place and she is not someone who would usually get scared but she said that it had such a bad feeling that she would be too scared to live there or even spend one night there. her partner also said that he could smell something and my mother couldn't.. :s

My mother said that the house could have a bad omen and it curses any one who gets involved in it or lives in it, if you compare the family to a film like final destination, maybe the fact that they lived in that house cursed them and they had no choice to live they would all die eventually...

She says that maybe something extremely bad happened there such as a murder or sacrifice which would cause angry spirits..

It used to be a school house...

My mum doesn't want me getting too involved for obvious reasons, i'm just curious, but then theres always the saying, curiosity killed the cat...

4464944_3_propertyDetails.jpg

What i hope to get out of posting this on the web is hopefully some research and information. I am completely fascinated by this phenomenon and what this house is like.

Try and see if you can answer these questions..

Did you go to Burgess Hill school in the early 90's possibly around 1991?

Do you know Anything about the deaths of this family?

Surely its a whole family that had been wiped out, someone must know something ??

What do you think this house is..?

Do you live in Newick and do you know Anything about this house??

Thankyou for your time and i really hope you can help me (:

4464951_8_propertyDetails.jpg

• 1 year later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bellasawrrr

• Blues Girl

• oldaker

• Topcat

Hello,

4464938_1_propertyDetails.jpg

I live in Newick and i have heard an extremely interesting story about an old house in Newick called Font Hill..

http://www.savills.co.uk/residentialsearch/propertydetail.aspx?pID=L33177 this is a rent advertisement..

Basically i have heard a lot about some strange things that have happened at this house over the past 300 years or so..

It was an Old School House dating back to 1771, and i have heard of some terrible things that have gone on there, i hope that by making a forum on the matter, maybe we can uncover some secrets about this house and maybe get some good ideas about it.

I have heard from a friend who has lived in Sussex for most/all of her life. She tells me about how she went to school with two girls at Burgess Hill school for Girls, and these two girls (who were sisters) both lived at Font Hill with their mother and Father, and apparently about 20 years ago one of the daughters and her father were travelling in a helicopter to the Isle of Wight and their helicopter crashed and they both lost their lives... :(

But, the most sinister and scary thing is, Exactly a year on to that day, the mother and remaining daughter were leaving the house in a storm by driving out and a tree branch was struck by lightning and it fell on their car and crushed them to death.

This is an extremely horrible story, because i know that it is 100% true and it shocks me that something like this could happen in such a small rural village in the sussex countryside..

There have also been many different stories connected to that house, such as hitchhikers being picked up on lanes close to the property, and the driver discovering that it is infact a ghost that he has picked up..

And an elderly lady who lived with her family in a house close to Font Hill apparently just dropped dead one day and the autopsy showed no signs of her cause of death :s

We were told that no birds sing outside that house, which some may think is crazy, but my mother said it is completely true, when she arrived there was this terrible and eerie silence which would cause chills in your spine..

There was also this huge, gnarled tree, which my mum actually described as Scary, which is unlike her, as she was a gardener for over ten years and i would doubt that she would find any tree scary :P apparently it seemed about three meters thick and it had been chopped off so it wasnt that tall, yet the bark was all burnt and ruined as if something had struck it :s

Maybe they chopped off the tree because it was one that caused the death of the mother and daughter?

Why were the mother and daughter leaving the house in such a hurry in a thunder storm? Where they fleeing from something?

4464947_5_propertyDetails.jpg

My mother and her partner actually went to view this house- this is how we found out about it- and she told me she was getting extremely bad vibes off of the place and she is not someone who would usually get scared but she said that it had such a bad feeling that she would be too scared to live there or even spend one night there. her partner also said that he could smell something and my mother couldn't.. :s

My mother said that the house could have a bad omen and it curses any one who gets involved in it or lives in it, if you compare the family to a film like final destination, maybe the fact that they lived in that house cursed them and they had no choice to live they would all die eventually...

She says that maybe something extremely bad happened there such as a murder or sacrifice which would cause angry spirits..

It used to be a school house...

My mum doesn't want me getting too involved for obvious reasons, i'm just curious, but then theres always the saying, curiosity killed the cat...

4464944_3_propertyDetails.jpg

What i hope to get out of posting this on the web is hopefully some research and information. I am completely fascinated by this phenomenon and what this house is like.

Try and see if you can answer these questions..

Did you go to Burgess Hill school in the early 90's possibly around 1991?

Do you know Anything about the deaths of this family?

Surely its a whole family that had been wiped out, someone must know something ??

What do you think this house is..?

Do you live in Newick and do you know Anything about this house??

Thankyou for your time and i really hope you can help me (:

4464951_8_propertyDetails.jpg

An old thread, but I must comment.

I have lived in Newick most of my life. Font Hill is not a house name, but an area. There is Font Hill Farmhouse, but that is nothing to do with this story.

Many of these "facts" are just wrong!

An ex girlfriend of mine ( I shall not name her on a public forum, ) was later married and had been in the Crown public house with her husband, her very young baby ( I think about 10 months old at the time) and their little dog and a group of friends - me included. We all had a good evening , nobody had drunk too much, but the weather was taking a turn for the worst, and they decided to drive the short journey home. High winds blew down a tree, which landed directly on their car and they were all killed outright.

I might add that she (they) DIDNT live in the old school house - they were living with her parents in a house her father had completely rebuilt from a derelict house - If I remember correctly, only two or three walls remained from the original house. I cannot remember the house name, but will drive down there in the next few days and check.

The old school house mentioned did have a tree in the garden that had been struck by lightning many many years ago. I can't remember if this tree still stands.

Her father was a pilot, but I don't know anything about a helicopter crash. My ex girlfriend had 2 younger sisters, and as far as I am aware, they are both alive and well to this day. I seem to remember her mother took the death of her daughter very badly, and I think she died about a year later, but I'll have to check my facts and will report further once I know more.

How tragic! Very sad that they all died (even the dog!) :(

• 2 years later...

So lets see if I can help here. Some of what has been written is correct but time and imaginations has changed events.

To start Font hill in Newick is a very spooky place. it leads from the 11th century church down towards one of the oldest houses in the village. there is a stream here that runs under the road which then forks left towards Barcombe and right toward Chailey.

Many many years ago (1978) I was going down font hill at approx. 10pm on my motor bike on a very windy night. as I got half way down a tree fell across the road from the right hand side such that I actually went under it as it was falling. I remember seeing the trunk in front of me as it fell and ducking to avoid it hitting me. Four years later my brother was driving in the same direction on his way home with his wife, baby and dog at approx. 11pm on an equally windy night. As they got to the bottom of the hill a tree fell and landed in the middle of the car killing all outright with the exception of the dog. They were not living in Newick at the time but in East Chiltington and drove home this way for two reasons. one it was the shortest and quickest way home and two just around the bend on the right the family of the wife lived. Often they would pop in on their way home or just toot as they passed. The father of the Husband had been a pilot and the father of the bride was a builder. The mother of the wife did die within the year of Leukaemia which she had suffered from for a couple of years. The wife of my brother had three sisters and a brother. several years earlier her sisters boyfriend who owned a helicopter was trying to land it near the house and crashed it but no one was hurt. The husband (my brother) was one of three me him and our sister. Many years later when our dad died I rang several of my brothers friend to inform them of my dads death as he was known to them. After the crash my brothers best friend took on the dog which survived the crash and when I rang him to let him know about my dads passing he told me that the dog had died the same day. Spooky I know or maybe just coincidence. Losing my brother and his family when they were all so young (the baby only 11 months old) was very difficult for both the families. I believe it took twenty years off my parents life span losing both to heart attacks before they were 70. Not a day goes by when I don't think of my brother and his family and in fact today is the anniversary of the accident. The family are buried together in the village church.