Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Howell Mi Hauntings

Bird Flu

Anybody ever hear of Howell Mi? I'm sure the chances of that are slim, but my town is pretty famous for being haunted.

Howell was built over an old plantation, the MacPhereson plantation. my house is haunted, as well as my friends. hers is really famous though. it was built on top of an old graveyard and when they moved it they left some of the old graves on accident (They had to build a road in that area and now theres houses along it). so she has ghosts of 2 twin girls, a bank robber, and a guy in armor that walk up and down her stairs, turn on the bathroom faucets upstairs, and clang dishes in the kitchen. They even give tours of her house now. they've even gotten photos from their house that have been in the paper numerous times (I'll have to get the pics next time I go to the library). Once I spent the night there and we saw the guy in armor walk past the room door, go to the bathroom next to the room, and leave the faucet running. It was the creepiest thing I have ever seen in my life.

As for my house, our basement is haunted-my dogs attack air, like theres something there, the car doors in our garage open and slam shut at night, doors randomly open, lights turn themselves on, all sorts of strange stuff. I havent gone in my basement for 10 years about because its so creepy. you feel like you're being watched. this is my basement lol, it looks like the typical scary movie kind:

user posted image

I dont mind my house being "haunted" much because weird stuff only happens in the basement, upstairs its normal-which is odd because I always figured ghosts haunted entire houses, not just one area, but I could be wrong? Theres other places in our town that are haunted too. the oldest elementary has the ghost of a kid in 1930's clothing that's apparently the founders grandson who died on the lawn. Kids who have never heard of the story still report it to the office-my mom used to work there. and our courthouse has ghosts of chicks dressed in white with bright blue eyes apparently but I've never seen them.

our town also has an old insane asylum thats supposedly haunted. It later was rebuilt as a TB asylum and is now torn down again. My friends who skateboard go up there and skate in the tunnels and say its scary as hell. I even searched the internet for it and found a site that listed 2 of the places I mentioned above:

Howell - courthouse yard - People have mysteriously been hung on large tree branches, people have seen spirits, and have heard ghostly moans and screams. Sprits were seen in windows and in the court house yard. Females wearing all white and very pale, blonde hair and blue eyes have been seen. (people claim they have red eyes now, but this site says blue)

Howell - Hillcrest Sanitarium - Several miles outside of city limits, there is the remnants of what used to be an asylum, and later housed patients with TB. Various sighting, usually of children occur. The actual hospital has been torn down, but tunnels, and various outbuildings are still there. Strange noises are heard and lights are seen sometimes.

http://theshadowlands.net/places/michigan.htm

So I'm wondering, does this sound like a place thats really haunted, or are incidents like the ones I mentioned easily exaggerated? And has anyone ever heard of Howell? original.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bird Flu

• Monkyburd

• vulturetotem

• Me_Again

Stephanie , Is it just the basement you feel is haunted?

I thought we had a thread about the Hillcrest Sanitarium here somewhere but I'm sorry I can't find it .

Edited by Kismit

Stephanie , Is it just the basement you feel is haunted?

I thought we had a thread about the Hillcrest Sanitarium here somewhere but I'm sorry I can't find it .

Yeah its just my basement oddly. We know the guy who built the house, so I don't think anyone was killed in it or something. If I had to guess Id say the ghosts are probably from the plantation or something that used to be there.

thats freaky but kool that you have a town with a bunch of haunted places. ive never heard of it though.and yes, it is possible for one room in a house to be haunted. my old house's basement was haunted. i would always hear very strange noises coming from other rooms in it. also, the upstairs was haunted a bit too. there would be stuff flying off shelfs and stuff. one time, the tv turned off by itself and then made a charging noise like it was gonna blow up and then turned back on again. also, somethings would be gona from the place u lwft them and then would be there again later. you should try to record some activity in your basement. that would be cool.

Hi Stephanie, I live in Grand Blanc, MI, I'm not sure if you've heard of that town, but I have heard of Howell. I've never heard of the town being haunted though. Thanks for telling your story!

Hi Stephanie, I live in Grand Blanc, MI, I'm not sure if you've heard of that town, but I have heard of Howell.  I've never heard of the town being haunted though.  Thanks for telling your story!

cool, I've heard of Grand Blanc original.gif A lot of Howell is haunted but people tend to ignore that because its history with the KKK is more well known =/

Edited by Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stephanie,

I grew up in Brighton and spent many nights at Hillcrest about 10 years ago, I never experienced anything out of the ordinary but have heard stories of places in Howell, Brighton and Hartland being haunted. We use to go to old cemeteries in Brighton which was fun but, again, we never heard or saw anything.

• 5 months later...

Hi there fellow Michiganders original.gif Rochester here original.gif

I remember hearing stories (when I was younger...lol) about Howell and the old sanitarium. Tell me whats up with the KKK thing, I remember that too. Is it still prevalent there? Ever heard of the Holly Hotel that is supposed to be haunted too !!

I have experienced the 'ghost' thing and when thinking back, I get freaked out. So don't invite me over w00t.gif

I'll read about it though...I prefer pretend haunted houses laugh.gif

Keep us posted thumbsup.gif Best wishes and happy thoughts wub.gif

Have any of you clowns ever heard of "Luke The Spook"???? be scared be very muthaf^^kin scared tongue.gif

Haven't heard Whom God...please tell the story thumbsup.gif

I don't know all the details, but something like this, he was a Dr. rushin to see someone on his horse and buggy and it was snowing that night, this happend a long time ago obviously, well anyways his horses and buggy went over a slipery bridge and died, as legend says I guess sometimes you can see two larterns chasing you at night down a certain road, I think it was somewhere around Romeo MI,

Hi there fellow Michiganders  original.gif  Rochester here  original.gif

I remember hearing stories (when I was younger...lol) about Howell and the old sanitarium. Tell me whats up with the KKK thing, I remember that too. Is it still prevalent there? Ever heard of the Holly Hotel that is supposed to be haunted too !!

I have experienced the 'ghost' thing and when thinking back, I get freaked out. So don't invite me over  w00t.gif

I'll read about it though...I prefer pretend haunted houses  laugh.gif

Keep us posted  thumbsup.gif Best wishes and happy thoughts  wub.gif

404745[/snapback]

The grand dragon I think died in the early 1990s and hadnt been active since the 1970's or around there, Howell isnt racist at all anymore and I dont think much of the KKK still resides here now

Edited by Stephanie

• 4 months later...

hey yai know howell sanitarium is sweet!! and ya rom miles the kkk dragon used to live down the road never had huanting tho

This is all fascinating, even though I'm not from Michigan (though I have been to Lansing once and I'm hoping to go back this summer. original.gif)

I do have to ask, though, why a ghost in armor? That sounds kind of weird for the U.S. (though there were a few men in armor round these parts long ago.) Are there any stories to explain why he's dressed that way?

I'm from Pinckney Michigan, just south of brighton and howell, and yes I have heard a lot of those stories. Unfortunately the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Howell is the KKK, and not its ghost stories. hmm.gif

But yes, a very strange area in michigan nontheless.

Edited by Monkyburd

grin2.gif so this is where all the ppl from michigan are posting. Thats an interesting story I want to go to howell now and investigate.

so this is where all the ppl from michigan are posting. Thats an interesting story I want to go to howell now and investigate.

Well, I wouldn't get too excited. I've been to howell many many times and have yet to see anything spooky. Perhaps I just haven't been in the right house yet.

Hey Stephanie, can Monkyburd come over to spent the night? I'll be reallly quiet and don't eat much. crying.gif Plllleeeeeasssseee? laugh.gif

All these Michiganians!! I be in Waterford, just up da road.

I've heard the Holly stories but not the Howell ones.

Got any more??

Seems to me the lights on the track story was closer to

monkeyburd there in Pinckney (which ain't far from Hell).

There is also a state park in the thumb that has a weird

light, me folks saw it years ago.

Oh yeah, monkeyburd, good to see a fellow tool fan!

Edited by vulturetotem

Seems to me the lights on the track story was closer to

monkeyburd there in Pinckney (which ain't far from Hell).

Yeah, Pinckney is right nextdoor to Hell. There's a 5k race there every year called the Run Thru Hell and is a big deal. Nothing scary has happened here yet, DANG. hmm.gif

And yes, always awesome to see someone with an appreciation for Tool. Unlike popular music today, the more I listen to Tool, the more I hear and understand. thumbsup.gif

wow thats cool and scary, but i no if my house was haunted ( i dont think it is tho) id move as soon as possible it would jut freak me out and id never fall asleep

I'm not from Michigan but I lived in Oscoda at Wurtsmith Air Force Base when my hubby was stationed there. Has anyone ever heard of the housing on the base being haunted? While we lived there we got the feeling we were being watched. There was a bedroom upstairs that gave us both the creeps. I personally watched the door to that room close on its own once. unsure.gif I told myself that it was an old duplex and the house was just settling. I have searched the internet and have not found one thing that says if the base is haunted. If you have any info out there, please let me know. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Hi fascinating story thumbsup.gif In my experience hauntings that are usually focused on one area of the building, are normally down to a residual type haunting, and are just psychic imprints of energy that might have been recorded there, from something that happened in the past, or from something that repeatedly happened in the location the experiences are happening. They do not normally involve conscious spirits as such, only recordings imbedded into the surroundings, and sometimes they can be seen to replay them selves, especially if deep emotions are associated with the happenings or the past. Hauntings involving self aware spirits will usually involve a whole area and house, rather than just one room or hallways ect, so I am guessing yours is a residual type haunting.

all the best

Faeden

Edited by Faeden

Good info Faeden, thanx

Never heard of Wurtsmith being haunted but there

was a famous ufo sighting.

Yeah, Tool's lyrics and music will remain unmatched

for a LONG time if not forever...

Damn, now im jealous, i wish i lived in Michigan.

Here in Holland nothing exciting like that happens..keep me posted plz wink2.gif