Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Twilight

UltraThunderMan

Because all the negative things discussed so far are just so highly exaggerated and emotionally fueled by hate. Also my whole life I have seen how people always hate the attractive people in a similar manner. They say many bad things about them but never will say they are just simply jealous. When it comes to females, some of the most attractive ones are miserable, since most guys either are too afraid to approach her as a person, others will hate instead because they think they will never have a chance. The females are worse though with the many terrible things they will say. This reminds me of all that. Maybe I am wrong but the hate here seems excessive and not totally accurate or justified.

I have not read the books yet. Reading Charlotte Sometimes now, a children's book, and then going to read Dancing with the Demon by Terry Brooks before I break into my Twilight books. I do open them and read scenes from them from time to time.

On a side note, related to the OP, I was reading a few pages of Eclipse at the store, some lady started talking to me about how she wanted to buy the New Moon book but her students, she was obviously a teacher, told her she had to get the first book before the second, she then mentioned she keeps confiscating them in class which is why she was interested in them to begin with. It does seem the saga is just going to get more popular. If you love it this is good news. If not, I am sorry, but hating and wanting to tear down things is never healthy, why not just ignore it? It is possible?

She keeps confiscating the original Twilight book?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• Queen in the North

• Rosewin

• Drago

I have noticed on a few threads some guys hating on the role of Edward. Jealousy perhaps? Never had quite the same amount of attention or girls fawn over you? Sorry, I just do not get the hate.

Seriously? You're going to put our problems with the story as a whole down as jealousy towards a single character?

That's just insulting. But then again, you meant it to be. And don't go 'I didn't mean it to be insulting,' anytime someone devalues and downplays a host of reasons given during an argument down to something so silly, it's meant to be insulting.

Yes, yes, we GET that you don't get the hate, you don't WANT to get the hate, that you REFUSE to get the hate, and quite frankly you're OFFENDED by the hate. Good for you. Here's a Twilight Cookietm.

I also consider the church quite priggish when going on and on about how such and such book is evil or has bad morals. No difference here.

You're going to try this argument again too? Good lord, you're just trying to make us angry aren't you? Not only insulting us but doing it in ways that have already been completely trumped when you tried them in the LAST Twilight thread.

There is every difference here. We are simply voicing opinions. We are simply talking. We have no intention of taking any kind of action against these books except by telling people we think they're horribly written pre-teen fantasy fodder with no redeeming qualities.

We are NOT advocating the burning, the banning, or the prosecution of these books.

You know, I really do think you must live somewhere very non-religious. The way you throw around this point about church moralism in a situation like this makes me think you have absolutely no idea of what they're like. I grew up - and live in - an area where this kind of crap is COMMON. I grew up with people who'd tell me, and MEAN IT, that evolution was a load of BS, that we didn't evolve from monkeys and school shouldn't be teaching that crap. Nevermind they showed their ignorance by making such a statement. I grew up in an area where parents would literally forbid their children from playing such a satanic, demonic game as D&D. I grew up in an area where for years Harry Potter was a quick way to p*** off every religious person in the room. Which was most of the people in the room.

Don't even get me STARTED on the crapstorm that started when The Golden Compass was made a movie and made the His Dark Materials trilogy more noticeable. My own SISTER would tell me about how twisted and evil and demonic the stories were, and she'd never read one of them for herself to know - She was listening to some nut-job on the radio who'd also obviously never actually read the books! I read the books, they were incredible stories, and when I started explaining why the Radio Nut-Job was wrong and there was NOTHING like any of the crap he described in the books, SHE TOLD ME TO SHUT UP. She wasn't going to listen to her own brother who'd actually READ the books, she was going to trust some Radio Whack-Job and her CHURCH. Harry Potter and Golden Compass books got BURNED around here, on the word of people who knew so little about them they couldn't even identify the main CHARACTERS.

So do NOT tell me that there's no difference between us expressing our dislike of these books, and what religion does. Anybody who's ever actually PUT UP with what religion does to books and ideas it doesn't like is not only going to laugh at you, they're likely to then get p***ed off that you'd take something so DANGEROUS so LIGHTLY.

Short version: Quit using this comparison. It's idiotic on levels you obviously don't comprehend.

I used to love Degrassi!

Which Anne Rice would book would you or Moon recommend as being really good? I do not necessarily have to start with the first one either.

I know it's not targeted at me, but I'll answer anyways. I dislike her and her works entirely but I HAVE read them. Her better work is definitely towards the beginning of the Vampire Chronicles. Interview With the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat. Most people also round off to a trilogy with Queen of the Damned, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the first two - it had apocalyptic overtones that just seemed kind of silly and overstated at the end of the whole mess. Rock music triggers an apocalypse - go figure.

If you don't mind seriously huge amounts of "What the F-" and "Oh God that's sickening," the Lives of the Mayfair Witches trilogy is much better written than the Vampire Chronicles, but it also suffers for it - she draws everything out to annoying lengths and she'll spend way too much time describing something that was already making your stomach churn. The books are huge because of it, and can have long stretches of boring filler. Seriously long read.

Probably the only book I read by her that I liked was The Mummy, or Ramses the Damned. Totally standalone work. Historical horror story about a mummy, predictably enough. Immortality elixir, Cleopatra, a bunch of murders, and some really weird morality choices also figure in. And the whole thing is actually romance-driven, and has moments you'd probably like a lot Rosewin.

It's the only book out of her entire repertoire I'd use the word 'good' during the description of.

Libby I am actually discussing the movie. Maybe we are talking about two things after all. Why would anyone be jealous of a book?

Kuret, mhmm that is what she said, she keeps confiscating the books in her class, I am guessing more than just the first one?

Edited by Rosewin

You haven't read the books? You're calling us jealous, you're calling us over-emotional liars, for our criticisms of a series you haven't even read?

It's too early for this. My mind literally cannot comprehend how you can call us such things and compare us to church-morality-book-burners for expressing opinions on something YOU HAVEN'T EVEN READ FOR YOURSELF. You have absolutely NO platform to be standing on to be calling us the kind of garbage you've been calling us in this thread!

Seriously? You're going to put our problems with the story as a whole down as jealousy towards a single character?

That's just insulting. But then again, you meant it to be. And don't go 'I didn't mean it to be insulting,' anytime someone devalues and downplays a host of reasons given during an argument down to something so silly, it's meant to be insulting.

Yes, yes, we GET that you don't get the hate, you don't WANT to get the hate, that you REFUSE to get the hate, and quite frankly you're OFFENDED by the hate. Good for you. Here's a Twilight Cookietm.

Thanks, for the cookie.

You're going to try this argument again too? Good lord, you're just trying to make us angry aren't you? Not only insulting us but doing it in ways that have already been completely trumped when you tried them in the LAST Twilight thread.

There is every difference here. We are simply voicing opinions. We are simply talking. We have no intention of taking any kind of action against these books except by telling people we think they're horribly written pre-teen fantasy fodder with no redeeming qualities.

We are NOT advocating the burning, the banning, or the prosecution of these books.

You know, I really do think you must live somewhere very non-religious. The way you throw around this point about church moralism in a situation like this makes me think you have absolutely no idea of what they're like. I grew up - and live in - an area where this kind of crap is COMMON. I grew up with people who'd tell me, and MEAN IT, that evolution was a load of BS, that we didn't evolve from monkeys and school shouldn't be teaching that crap. Nevermind they showed their ignorance by making such a statement. I grew up in an area where parents would literally forbid their children from playing such a satanic, demonic game as D&D. I grew up in an area where for years Harry Potter was a quick way to p*** off every religious person in the room. Which was most of the people in the room.

Don't even get me STARTED on the crapstorm that started when The Golden Compass was made a movie and made the His Dark Materials trilogy more noticeable. My own SISTER would tell me about how twisted and evil and demonic the stories were, and she'd never read one of them for herself to know - She was listening to some nut-job on the radio who'd also obviously never actually read the books! I read the books, they were incredible stories, and when I started explaining why the Radio Nut-Job was wrong and there was NOTHING like any of the crap he described in the books, SHE TOLD ME TO SHUT UP. She wasn't going to listen to her own brother who'd actually READ the books, she was going to trust some Radio Whack-Job and her CHURCH. Harry Potter and Golden Compass books got BURNED around here, on the word of people who knew so little about them they couldn't even identify the main CHARACTERS.

So do NOT tell me that there's no difference between us expressing our dislike of these books, and what religion does. Anybody who's ever actually PUT UP with what religion does to books and ideas it doesn't like is not only going to laugh at you, they're likely to then get p***ed off that you'd take something so DANGEROUS so LIGHTLY.

Short version: Quit using this comparison. It's idiotic on levels you obviously don't comprehend.

I understand your opinion and do not find it idiotic in the least but will disagree.

I know it's not targeted at me, but I'll answer anyways. I dislike her and her works entirely but I HAVE read them. Her better work is definitely towards the beginning of the Vampire Chronicles. Interview With the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat. Most people also round off to a trilogy with Queen of the Damned, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the first two - it had apocalyptic overtones that just seemed kind of silly and overstated at the end of the whole mess. Rock music triggers an apocalypse - go figure.

If you don't mind seriously huge amounts of "What the F-" and "Oh God that's sickening," the Lives of the Mayfair Witches trilogy is much better written than the Vampire Chronicles, but it also suffers for it - she draws everything out to annoying lengths and she'll spend way too much time describing something that was already making your stomach churn. The books are huge because of it, and can have long stretches of boring filler. Seriously long read.

Probably the only book I read by her that I liked was The Mummy, or Ramses the Damned. Totally standalone work. Historical horror story about a mummy, predictably enough. Immortality elixir, Cleopatra, a bunch of murders, and some really weird morality choices also figure in. And the whole thing is actually romance-driven, and has moments you'd probably like a lot Rosewin.

It's the only book out of her entire repertoire I'd use the word 'good' during the description of.

Thank you for your this. I appreciate it lots Drago.

Libby I am actually discussing the movie. Maybe we are talking about two things after all. Why would anyone be jealous of a book?

OH, CREDIBILITY.

Oh God EK, room for me to join that headdesk fest?

Edit: in fact, Rosewin, just see my avatar.

Edited by storminateacup

You haven't read the books? You're calling us jealous, you're calling us over-emotional liars, for our criticisms of a series you haven't even read?

It's too early for this. My mind literally cannot comprehend how you can call us such things and compare us to church-morality-book-burners for expressing opinions on something YOU HAVEN'T EVEN READ FOR YOURSELF. You have absolutely NO platform to be standing on to be calling us the kind of garbage you've been calling us in this thread!

Why would anyone be jealous of a book? Unless of course they were writing one themselves. When I mentioned jealous haters it was in regards to the movies, that had to be clear, also maybe you should know I made a few generalizations, if you feel one of them fits and are taking offense, that is still no reason to begin calling my opinions idiotic or the like. You did say my view on the the priggish church in comparison to the moral police on this thread was idiotic on so many levels yet you do not know my religious background. Also, if you persist I will simply ignore you, so while you might passionately disagree there are ways to avoid personal attacks.

Edited by Rosewin

Why would anyone be jealous of a book? Unless of course they were writing one themselves.

By that same token, why would we be jealous of a movie?

Why would anyone be jealous of a book? Unless of course they were writing one themselves. When I mentioned jealous haters it was in regards to the movies, that had to be clear, also maybe you should know I made a few generalizations, if you feel one of them fits and are taking offense, that is still no reason to begin calling my opinions idiotic or the like.

Does not compute.

By that same token, why would we be jealous of a movie?

Seriously? All the comments directed towards K Stewart, how bad she acted, this and that, on the actress herself, clearly shows jealousy, at least that is what I suspect. That is how someone can be jealous of a movie. Really hearing someone call her unattractive made me lol...what a liar they are.

Honestly, weren't you saying we were jealous of the characters? Which the book and movie both have? I'm not sure how we can be jealous of a movie or book, so surely you did mean that we were jealous of the characters themselves, regardless of which media they're portrayed in.

Really hearing someone call her unattractive made me lol...what a liar they are.

Because you think someone is attractive doesn't mean that everyone else is going to.

Additionally, one comment was made by a friend, "Kristen Stewart is not pretty she looks stoned all the time and in the films she looks like a confused chipmunk."

Edited by Ebonykrow

I understand your opinion and do not find it idiotic in the least but will disagree.

There was nothing there to disagree with, Rosewin. That you could take such a dangerous concept so lightly as to apply it to us in a situation like this shows a marked lack of experience with said dangerous concept. If you KNEW what it was actually like to go through that kind of crap, you would not be able to treat the concept of it so casually.

There was nothing there to disagree with, Rosewin. That you could take such a dangerous concept so lightly as to apply it to us in a situation like this shows a marked lack of experience with said dangerous concept. If you KNEW what it was actually like to go through that kind of crap, you would not be able to treat the concept of it so casually.

Again you have no clue of my background. Either way I hope we can be amicable, I really like some of your posts.

Seriously? All the comments directed towards K Stewart, how bad she acted, this and that, on the actress herself, clearly shows jealousy, at least that is what I suspect. That is how someone can be jealous of a movie. Really hearing someone call her unattractive made me lol...what a liar they are.

Or quite possible it shows she did a bad job acting. Just a thought. You know, many people, reaching a consensus on something... It's quite possible if a lot of people are saying "You know, she didn't act very well in that part..." then the actress didn't act very well in that part.

No, it has to be you who is not being serious.

To the average Twilight fan, Bella and Edward have this perfect love story going on. These books are close to their hearts. Why would they not be jealous of the girl with the amazing, purple perfect, beautiful wonderful, Adonis-like boyfriend? You don't seem to be clear on whether we're supposed to be jealous of the actors or the characters. The book AND the movie have the same characters.

To be quite honest, I can say with some conviction I am not jealous of that girl. I'd want to be recognised for something I'm skilled at, which acting, she is not. And... no I can't say that it'll get deleted by a mod anyway :lol:

Did it not occur to you that we say she is a bad actor because she is? Please find me evidence that she has more than one facial expression throughout both movies.

And I know of several people who think that Kristen Stewart is unattractive, and really they have no reason to tell me anything other than their honest opinion.

Or quite possible it shows she did a bad job acting. Just a thought. You know, many people, reaching a consensus on something... It's quite possible if a lot of people are saying "You know, she didn't act very well in that part..." then the actress didn't act very well in that part.

When it is said with so much hate...I can only help think jealousy. I have seen it too many times.

So in that undertone...that also makes me jealous of Kristen S as Bella? I can assure anyone with all my might of gathered honesty that I am NOT Jealous of that boring, useless character Bella. That's like me being jealous of a child drawn cartoon cardboard cut out. Even that would be easier to be jealous of. (Especially if the kid was a better drawer then me lol)

Guys, just stop, we're not going to get anywhere because we're all jealous of something or another, and there's no way to get around it. We should just realize that we're jealous of something Twilight related and get on with our pathetic lives, because we have nothing worth doing other than aspiring to be something so ridiculously ridiculous that we can't even comprehend our jealousy of it.

And I know of several people who think that Kristen Stewart is unattractive, and really they have no reason to tell me anything other than their honest opinion.

Fair enough.

Guys, just stop, we're not going to get anywhere because we're all jealous of something or another, and there's no way to get around it. We should just realize that we're jealous of something Twilight related and get on with our pathetic lives, because we have nothing worth doing other than aspiring to be something so ridiculously ridiculous that we can't even comprehend our jealousy of it.

I do not suspect the lolhaters are jealous in the least, HerNibs and Libby especially, they seem to be in it for fun and do not truly hate from the bottom of their heart. I might be wrong...they might actually really hate it deeply so that it really affects their emotions.

So how are the lot of us any different...?

Thanks, though. I'm just curious if your insults could get any lower. :/ That was probably the icing on the cake right there.

Edited by Ebonykrow

Again you have no clue of my background. Either way I hope we can be amicable, I really like some of your posts.

No, I don't have any clue of your background. This has little to do with my point that had you gone through or lived closely with religious persecution of books or ideas, and seen what it actually does to people, you would not be able to treat the idea so lightly as to apply it to a thread full of people saying "Hey, I didn't like that story. It makes women look weak and insignificant compared to the men."

To continue to compare our statements in this thread to true religious persecution of the books is idiotic, and in the end offensive, and anyone who's had to deal with or live closely with it is going to agree.