Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The West Lothian UFO Incident ~ 9th Nov,1979.

karl 12

Very intriguing Scottish UFO incident in which forester Bob Taylor states he was attacked by a UFO - in the documentary below it also states the incident was verified by the British Authorities; that ground-trace evidence was found at the scene and that the incident was subject to a full,extensive police investigation.

Artist Impression:

be163d81bfd1.jpg
Robert Taylor, a forester from West Lothian, Scotland, encountered a strange object and equally strange smaller objects or "entities". The rounded larger object, 20 feet in diameter, hovered above the ground. Then, two small objects, which were round but had appendages, "rushed" toward him. These objects each attached itself to one (each) of his trouser legs and tugged him towards the larger object, at which time Taylor lost consciousness. Ground marks were discovered at the scene of the encounter.

Full Documentary:

He didn’t see little green men exactly, but 30 years ago forester Bob Taylor had a remarkable encounter with a UFO at Dechmont Law in Livingston.

Experts say it is the only one ever to have left tangible and recorded evidence, has been verified by the authorities and was the subject of a full police investigation.

Part One:

Part Two:

Anyone have any ideas or opinions about what happened to Bob Taylor - it seems a lot of people (including policemen) are completely stumped on this one.

Cheers.

Extensive Link

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoser

• DONTEATUS

• sinewave

• seeder

The Venus theory is totally implausible. There is simply no precedent for that degree of refractive magnification. It is true that the moon appears to be larger when low in the sky but only slightly. Certainly not enough for Venus to appear that large.

I suspect the heart of the matter is Taylor's loss of consciousness. Was it an effect or the cause? Epilepsy does not seem likely. There was no mention of whether or not he was tested for mild stroke which is far more common. That is certainly a possibility as interruption of blood flow to any part of the brain could cause any number of bizarre effects. The marks on the ground may or may not have had anything to do with the event. The round marks are similar to those left by certain woodland mushrooms that spring up in clearings. I don't know if that was the case here but it certainly must be considered. The other ground marks were not documented in photographs so their true nature is not clear.

Edited by sinewave

Some things that don't make sense to me.

1. The apro account differs from several of the others that are linked to in the story. (Apro) driving a van. (Others) driving a pickup truck. (Apro) inspecting trees. (Others) looking for stray sheep or cows and sheep. (Apro) No ill effects. (Others) Headache, sore throat and thirst that last any where from a few hours to a couple of days.
  2. Even the other accounts don't always match. For example, in some he hears a hiss as he awakes as the UFO is leaving. In others nothing is heard and the UFO is already gone.
  3. M8 is the busiest road in Scotland as it connects the two largest cities and therefore would be very busy with traffic, especially mid-morning on a Friday. Though the clearing is not visible from M8 anything the size of the craft landing or ascending into the sky would be noticed while it is above the trees. No reports were filed.
  4. He was supposedly dragged towards the craft by the two smaller objects with his boots scrapping the ground, but no reports afterwards of any scrape marks being seen by any investigators.
  5. Upon awaking, he crawled 300 feet to his vehicle and attempted to radio for help wich didn't work. Then he tried to drive but his vehicle got stuck. Now instead of going the 300 feet to M8 where a passerby could have possibly called for help, he walks, staggers a mile to his home. Not someting a person in need of help would normally do.
  6. The holes in the sketch don't add up. When compared to the sketch of what the smaller objects look like, the 4 holes in the upper left are too close together. Also where the holes created by the object on the left clearly make a circuit back to the area supposedly under the main craft, the ones on the right do not complete the circuit but stop at a distance from the craft. Even though it would be conceiveable for an object to retrace it's steps. Anything that doesn't care that it leaves tracks in the first place wouldn't care about putting it's feet (so to speak) back exactly where they made the originasl holes.
  7. his clothers were examined but only the tears were found. Since more than one of the versions indicate it was a damp morning, there should have been mud and grass stains on his pants as he crawled 300 feet to his vehicle, but no report of any stains are indicated.

Steuart Campbell became renowned for his refraction of Venus explanation for any UFO sighting going...

Ultimately, and despite the ground traces at the time (someone must still have decent photos of these), this event remains a single witness account. After Bob Taylor's death some have claimed this event was a hoax - then again the witness is no longer able to defend himself. The trousers are the only evidence still occasionally in the public domain, but they were and are inconclusive, the tears could have been caused by barb-wire.

The traffic on M8 is good observation digitalartist. The number of potential eyes passing the site suggests someone would have seen something had a craft taken to the air.

Shadow Wolf makes a good point that it is a single witness case. Why is it so highly regarded among believers?

From the evidence, Taylor did not seem like the kind of man to have made up a story like that. It does not mean he didn't but I am inclined to believe something happened. Something well short of an alien attack. I suspect there was some kind of medical emergency perhaps not epilepsy as Campbell theorized. Assuming Taylor told the truth about not having seizures it is very unlikely he had epilepsy. Campbell's theories so far seem to be nearly as fantasy based as those of true believers. I place very little stock in anything he has to say on the subject. Having said that, it does not rule out other possible medical problems including stroke.

If Taylor did make it up, some of the evidence seems to fit. The pants are said to have been torn upwards. That is the natural way to pull them if someone were to cut and tear their pants while wearing them. Of course if Taylor did have some kind of seizure he might have grabbed his pants and tore them himself without knowing it. The tears fit either way. Also as digitalartist pointed out, the pants were clean. A 300 foot drag would have left some visible marks. Then there is the mile walk home after the 300 foot struggle. It does seem odd. The question is, what would he have had to gain from such a story? I guess we will never know for sure but it still seems very unlikely he made it up.

Edited by sinewave

• 3 years later...

Ive always liked this story, if only for the unique description of the orbs that rolled across the ground on spikes.

Although the part of the story that said - "Protruding from the outside of the UFO were stems pointing up, and topped with propellers" doesn't seem too far advanced for aliens in my opinion

It is indeed a good case and well investigated too.

Bob Taylor just wasn't even remotely the sort of guy that would be inclined to make up a story like that.

No evidence other that what the guy actually said. How he got to become unconscious is not really clear. Was it an impact to the head? I can't remember. Interesting depiction of the UFO and it's satellite probes. If that is what they actually were.

Some Artist rendering ! Give me a brake ! ,BEtter yet Give me the Master control panel SO I can Warp outta here ! :tu:

Some Artist rendering ! Give me a brake ! ,BEtter yet Give me the Master control panel SO I can Warp outta here ! :tu:

It's all we have Don I'm afraid. Why would the guy lie? As for hallucinations? Why didn't he hallucinate about finding a chest of gold or some fantasy about female mud wrestling or something?

Ive always liked this story, if only for the unique description of the orbs that rolled across the ground on spikes.

You mean you believe him? Wow.

Oh_My_God-0013.jpg

I should Look into becoming a Forensic Artist for Sightings ! IT would be an interesting job Indeed ! :clap:

I should Look into becoming a Forensic Artist for Sightings ! IT would be an interesting job Indeed ! :clap:

More worthwhile if you listened to the witnesses properly first. Just a suggestion.