Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dancing Star In Night Sky

perplexedstargazer

Three nights ago I remembered a strange experience I had around this time last year (2008). Can't remember the exact day anymore, and I didn't write it down. It was around midnight or a little later, but I saw two stars fairly close together through my bathroom window that looks off to the north - northwest side of our house. Not in union, but these two stars were dancing high in the night sky. By dancing I mean, standing still, jumping a little west, jumping a little up, jumping a little east, and jumping quickly a little downward. Sometimes as it was stationary, it seemed to black out and disappear. The dance was 'not' in any kind of pattern. It was actually random. The light from these stars 'seemed' to be flickering or flashing. I thought I could see blue, white, green, red & yellow. Not at the same time either. It was such a strange experience for me that I decided to go outside on my back porch and get a better view. I did, but I could not find the stars again. I just shrugged it off as my eyes playing tricks on me.

Three nights ago, 14 Dec 2009, around 8:30 p.m., I remembered this experience and went out on my back porch to look at the night sky. I look off toward the same direction (north) and just rested my eyes there. After a few seconds movement caught my eye, and low and behold, there was one star up in the sky doing the same weird dance as the year before. Not two this time, just one. Just guessing now, it was probably positioned just right to be over Phoenix, AZ. I live in Cochise, AZ.

Anyway, I really got excited. I thought to myself that hey, I'm not crazy. Just to make sure, I called my husband out on the porch and asked him to look off into the north to northwest area of the sky and let his eyes rest there until something caught his attention. He did, and he told me he was seeing a crazy moving star. I got so tickled and kept repeating that I wasn't crazy. I now have a witness.

The next night, 15 Dec 2009, I was in the kitchen late doing some of my Christmas baking. I did not get outside until about 9:47 p.m. The same dancing star was there, but it was more north this time. In about 15 minutes or so I could only pick up flashes of it for it was behind our tall Elderica pine windbreak. My husband came out and saw it for a few minutes, and said he thought he spotted another one further to the north and higher than the other one.

16 Dec 2009, last night I worked late on Christmas preparations and did not get to go out and look, I'm sorry to say. I was exhausted and around 1:24 a.m., I fell into bed. Tonight I want to try to remember to look for the strange dancing star again.

I've searched the internet looking for reports of others seeing this same thing, but nothing has matched up with what I and my husband saw to my disappointment. That is why I'm here typing this up for others to see, and I hope I'm doing the right thing. I'm really not sure what exactly we were watching. It looked just like any other star to me, other than the strange dance movements. I'm hoping that others will see & read this, and go outside tonight and look for this thing themselves. If you do, and if you also witness this, please leave me a reply about it. Otherwise, I feel like I've done enough with reporting this, and I probably won't be back otherwise. Folks, I live in a small settlement where everyone knows everyone else, and I (nor my family) do not need any trouble or ridicule about my sightings. It's just hard to imagine that we are the only ones that have seen this with so many, many folks out there watching the night sky as a hobby these days.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope it made sense to you.

Merry Christmas And May God Bless Each And Everyone.

Edited by perplexedstargazer
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

I saw the same thing a few years ago. If it's dark enough and you have patience, you'll see stuff on any given night. This night I was ready getting ready to go in the cabin but just decided to look up one more time and there it was. Zig-zagging all around. I thought it was pretty far up there and then a satellite passed under it! Weird stuff. I got scared and ran in the cabin and kept it to myself 'til morning.

• Like 1

I saw the same thing a few years ago.

Thank you so much for replying. Zig-zagging is a really good description of the strange dance the star was doing. I'm sorry you were so scared by what you saw. It did not scare me, it only excited me, and it has left with me with a strong 'need to know' exactly what it truly is. I may never find out, but at least I know for sure that it wasn't a weather ballon... Actually, I've never seen anything that could move like that in the sky, night or day.

We're lucky where we live. We have 40 acres around us, and the only lights are the ones we choose to turn on & off. We're able to light this place up around us like little Vegas when we want or need to, but normally it's dark & quiet. With the exception of the big dogs barking at the deer or havalina passing by the fence line ever so often. I like to tell folks that we live out so far that the hawks & owls play with the chickens for something to do. The sky is huge and open out here in the high desert, and the only obstructions are the large tall windbreaks that we planted ourselves. Star gazing is not a hobby of mine or my husband's, but we do enjoy coming out and viewing the night sky when we can.

Thanks again for sharing your story. I hope others will, too.

• Like 1

I've seen this too but I put it down to small involuntary eye movements

During the day you dont notice these due to the large amount of light information entering your eyes,

But at night, trying to concentrate on a small pinprick of light, it becomes more noticeable because the small amount of light is only firing up a few light receptors in the back of the eye, hence the 'jerky movement which only increases as you try to focus on it and keep it in your field of view.

also the light may enter or cross your 'blind spot' causing it to momentarily dissapear making it look like its jumped

• Like 2

I've seen this too but I put it down to small involuntary eye movements

Thank you for replying and trying to help. I just came back inside from trying to find the dancing star again for the second time tonight. I went out at 7:00 p.m, but did not see it anywhere. I did find it the second time, 17 Dec 2009, 9: 09 p.m. It was northeast of my backyard, above my roof line, and doing the same zig-zag little dance. No other star was doing this, for I look at many while trying to find it.

I put on my glasses and I saw it better, still dancing. I took off my glasses and used two different binoculars. Still dancing. Lots of stars out, but only this one dancing. Sorry but I do not agree with your explanation. There is something going on with this particular star, if it is a star, and I don't believe it is a problem with my eyes.

Why not try to find it in the night sky yourself. If you see it and you still believe your explanation, then that is your right. Me? I'm going to continue to track it when I can, and continue to look for another explanation for what it is, and why it's acting so peculiar.

Thank you again for trying to help.

• Like 3

Three nights ago I remembered a strange experience I had around this time last year (2008). Can't remember the exact day anymore, and I didn't write it down. It was around midnight or a little later, but I saw two stars fairly close together through my bathroom window that looks off to the north - northwest side of our house. Not in union, but these two stars were dancing high in the night sky. By dancing I mean, standing still, jumping a little west, jumping a little up, jumping a little east, and jumping quickly a little downward. Sometimes as it was stationary, it seemed to black out and disappear. The dance was 'not' in any kind of pattern. It was actually random. The light from these stars 'seemed' to be flickering or flashing. I thought I could see blue, white, green, red & yellow. Not at the same time either. It was such a strange experience for me that I decided to go outside on my back porch and get a better view. I did, but I could not find the stars again. I just shrugged it off as my eyes playing tricks on me.

Three nights ago, 14 Dec 2009, around 8:30 p.m., I remembered this experience and went out on my back porch to look at the night sky. I look off toward the same direction (north) and just rested my eyes there. After a few seconds movement caught my eye, and low and behold, there was one star up in the sky doing the same weird dance as the year before. Not two this time, just one. Just guessing now, it was probably positioned just right to be over Phoenix, AZ. I live in Cochise, AZ.

Anyway, I really got excited. I thought to myself that hey, I'm not crazy. Just to make sure, I called my husband out on the porch and asked him to look off into the north to northwest area of the sky and let his eyes rest there until something caught his attention. He did, and he told me he was seeing a crazy moving star. I got so tickled and kept repeating that I wasn't crazy. I now have a witness.

The next night, 15 Dec 2009, I was in the kitchen late doing some of my Christmas baking. I did not get outside until about 9:47 p.m. The same dancing star was there, but it was more north this time. In about 15 minutes or so I could only pick up flashes of it for it was behind our tall Elderica pine windbreak. My husband came out and saw it for a few minutes, and said he thought he spotted another one further to the north and higher than the other one.

16 Dec 2009, last night I worked late on Christmas preparations and did not get to go out and look, I'm sorry to say. I was exhausted and around 1:24 a.m., I fell into bed. Tonight I want to try to remember to look for the strange dancing star again.

I've searched the internet looking for reports of others seeing this same thing, but nothing has matched up with what I and my husband saw to my disappointment. That is why I'm here typing this up for others to see, and I hope I'm doing the right thing. I'm really not sure what exactly we were watching. It looked just like any other star to me, other than the strange dance movements. I'm hoping that others will see & read this, and go outside tonight and look for this thing themselves. If you do, and if you also witness this, please leave me a reply about it. Otherwise, I feel like I've done enough with reporting this, and I probably won't be back otherwise. Folks, I live in a small settlement where everyone knows everyone else, and I (nor my family) do not need any trouble or ridicule about my sightings. It's just hard to imagine that we are the only ones that have seen this with so many, many folks out there watching the night sky as a hobby these days.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope it made sense to you.

Merry Christmas And May God Bless Each And Everyone.

• Like 1

ssing by it.illstop and gaze into,but on the 14 the mist or what i thought was when i focused in on it it wasnt 2 more orbs,but groups of orbs 15, 8, 20 ,10 ...etc.between 75 and 100 parked in circles,grouped in twos,some of the single orbs split into two orbs they were coming in and leaving the meeting place or whatever you want to callit i grabbed everyone in the house to view. my girlfriend went up to store to grab batterys for her digital camera.the pictures she got were to dark.but if you put it on the computer you can zoom and photo enhance tools you can see the outline of them and the pattern on them.shes got other pictures from other nights that have strange things on them but the 14 was by far the tops so far gazing the stars ,i reported it the night of the 14 also well i hope that might help you out.

• Like 1

In regards to the OP I have seen this before, it was with Sirius, and it was something everyone has to see at least once in their life. It was so bright it looked like a plane but it did not move. You could see it like it was almost dancing, never before had I seen it, what happens is when a star is low on the horizon you have to see it through more layers of atmosphere than if it was directly overhead. This causes some atmospheric interference, in my case it was a hot day and the heat waves were still dominant in the air, so it was like seeing a light in a mist.

Thursday, December 24

Christmas star: This week brilliant Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky, rises around 7 or 8 p.m. (depending on where you live in your time zone). Orion's Belt points down nearly to its rising point, showing where to watch for it. When Sirius is low it often twinkles in vivid, flashing colors, an effect that binoculars reveal especially clearly.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance

Edited by Rosewin

Sorry but I do not agree with your explanation.

People on boards will always try to explain things away, but until they see them in person, it means nothing unless the witness can agree that it is plausible. The reason it scared me, is because nothing we know of can move like this, not that high, not that fast. It's an amazing sight to see.

• Like 1

Thank you for replying and trying to help. I just came back inside from trying to find the dancing star again for the second time tonight. I went out at 7:00 p.m, but did not see it anywhere. I did find it the second time, 17 Dec 2009, 9: 09 p.m. It was northeast of my backyard, above my roof line, and doing the same zig-zag little dance. No other star was doing this, for I look at many while trying to find it.

I put on my glasses and I saw it better, still dancing. I took off my glasses and used two different binoculars. Still dancing. Lots of stars out, but only this one dancing. Sorry but I do not agree with your explanation. There is something going on with this particular star, if it is a star, and I don't believe it is a problem with my eyes.

Why not try to find it in the night sky yourself. If you see it and you still believe your explanation, then that is your right. Me? I'm going to continue to track it when I can, and continue to look for another explanation for what it is, and why it's acting so peculiar.

Hi there No problems,

I was not saying you had problems with your eyes, everyone eyes have these micromovements its part of how your optical system works.

You say you have tried 2 pairs of binoculars with the same result, well that only leaves 2 common denominators - the star and your eyes.

the other thing I thought of was perhaps atmospherics, you say you live way out in the desert, maybe thermals rising at night from the cooling desert are distorting the image under certain conditions,

As i said I have seen phenomena similar to those you describe, mostly they turn out to be Iridium satellite flares or the eyes trying to make sense of what you are seeing. the decision to accept as possible or to deny outright the explainations I offer is of course your perogative!

Wishing you a good Xmas and a peaceful new year.

I saw something exactly like this when I was a teen. My first UFO. :) I stared at that darn thing for a long time, but could only find it that one night. I too thought of my eyes twitching. Makes sense that your eyes would do that after staring at a tiny prick of light for so long, but it didn't happen with the others stars I looked at. Mine changed color too: green, blue, orangey-red.

It's one of the "Hmm... interesting" things I filed in my memory banks.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

im staring at this star right now, the past two nights ive been trying to fall asleep and staring out the window, and i keep thiking its plane because i thought i saw it move, i would squint my one eye and try to see if it moved up at all. tonight i saw it again, i went over to the window and stared at i and its changing all diff colors green, blue, red, yellow, and moving al around in no order its so cute!! and facinating i cannot stop starring at it!!!

• Like 1

I have seen this too. I started a topic about it in the UFO section. It's called "WTH is that?? Jumping stars?" You should take a look I posted some videos from Youtube that someone recorded in my home town.

• Like 1

My brother and I witnessed two dancing black dots, one following the other, high above the clouds on a sunny day. Not zig-zagging but doing big loop-the-loops then little loop-the-loops all over the blue sky but high above the clouds. It was very graceful to watch. These sorts of things just stop you in your tracks.

Twinkling Stars ..one of natures gems

and inspiration of the old nursery rhyme 'Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are'

• Like 2

My brother and I witnessed two dancing black dots, one following the other, high above the clouds on a sunny day. Not zig-zagging but doing big loop-the-loops then little loop-the-loops all over the blue sky but high above the clouds. It was very graceful to watch. These sorts of things just stop you in your tracks.

This could very well be birds: eagles or vultures or such. They fly very high and do travel up there in loops... catching air currents.

This could very well be birds: eagles or vultures or such. They fly very high and do travel up there in loops... catching air currents.

Yeah I know what you mean, but even high up you can still tell they're birds. No, these were faster than that and maneuvered in such a way that after a few seconds I knew we weren't looking at birds. They covered quite large areas of the sky in short spaces of time then would dip quite low then shoot back up into the sky maneuvering and doing loop-the-loops the whole time one close behind the other. Jet aircraft? Just,no.

• 2 months later...

I saw this one too before, when me and my friends decided to took a hike in the mountain of daraitan in tanay rizal philippines on june 11 2011, and when the night falls.. around 3am as the bright sky is field with lots of stars, me and my friends notice something unexplained when one star appears to be dancing as it goes upwards, downwards and side wards, it change colors too into blue, green, orange and yellow. I wonder what this object is all about, its actually look like a star, but the thing is.. its dance so fast that over a million of years to go to a one star, you can actually see it dancing in front of you in a split seconds. This could be an official unexplained mysteries.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

• I have just witnessed a dancing star in the sky in Dundee, Scotland. I am still shocked and just joined this site to post in the hope that there is an explanation. The star shot across the sky, stopped, zig zagged, dropped up and down then shot back the other way. I have never seen anything like this. The whole thing lasted around 2 minutes and covered an uncomprehendable distance in such little time. I have seen shooting stars in the past but this was not a shooting star, I really dont know what I have just seen.

I see these "jumping or dancing stars" every night. they are not birds, because it's in space!! there isn't anything wrong with anybodies eyes either, because it's real!!!

I was told that they are satellites. maybe they are or are not, but whatever the case is, they are there!!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I didn't read these posts too closely but, no, no one is crazy. It could be correct however to say "you're hallucinating".

Back in my thirties, I participated in an all-night star party atop Glacier Point in Yosemite with an astronomy club. After a long night, we were waiting for the full moon to appear from behind Half Dome. I was looking at a very bright star and suddenly it began to exhibit non-ballistic motion! I pointed it out to the old-timers who, of course, could see that the star wasn't dancing.

They explained that when you're fatigued and there is no point of reference (like the horizon) in your field of view, your eyes will start making small erratic movements (perhaps looking for a point of reference?). As soon as I heard the explanation, that star really began dancing(!) which made me laugh.

There is a name for the behavior (which I've forgotten and was looking for when I found this post) that dates back to the days of sail, when sailors spent long hours on watch during the night.

So if you're trying to reproduce the effect, get good and tired, then stare at a bright star or planet with nothing else in your field of view. Or better yet, get someone else to do it and enjoy their excitement.

Hmm. Can't edit.

It couldn't have been a "full" moon after a long night. It was near enough to daylight that only Venus(?) was still visible.

The only reference I could find was to a 19th century Dutch astronomer who called the phenomenon "telekenesis", meaning the movement was caused by the viewer's mind.

I have heard stories of people i know seeing faint stars dancing around in the night sky. They say you have to look very closley to see them. I watch the night sky very carfully to see shooting stars and satallites and what not but i have never seen the dancing stars.

• 4 months later...

About a week ago (7/30/13) I was sitting out on my back deck (10:30pm) talking with my boyfriend and it was dark and we didn't have any lights on. We were just sitting there having a cigarette and enjoying each others company. I noticed a star that appeared to be "dancing" or "jumping" in a zig-zag motion. Up, down, left, right. I watched it for about 10 minutes before bringing it up to my boyfriend so I could be sure that I wasn't seeing a plane or satellite or some other explainable idea. I said to him..."hey, take a look at that star and tell me if you see anything out of the ordinary". After he watched it for a minute he claimed to not see any star "dancing". He said that if I am seeing that then I am probably seeing the Earth rotating, which I am pretty sure is not possible and if it is, that's not what I was seeing. Disappointed and feeling a little insane, I said okay and we continued our conversation and cigarette. Even though he didn't see what I saw, I was still positive that it was something that can not easily be explained.

My mother has come to stay a couple of weeks with me and she likes to look at the sky at night time so I didn't bring it up to her, in hopes that she would notice it and say something to me. Well, last night I was in making pizza and she called for me to come out on the back deck. I knew what she was going to say and I was right. She said "there is a star in the sky that is moving and dancing"!!! I told her that I had seen that about a week ago but couldn't get anyone else to see it. Or at least admit to seeing it. So we looked at it for awhile and discussed the explainable reasons that this would be happening and we could not come up with anything that was logical. Both my mother and I are intelligent people and are aware of how the atmosphere works and still could not scientifically explain what was going on. So we had my twin brother come up from downstairs and look at it to see if he could see something. He said he could but he was very nonchalant about it which made us believe that he could not see what we were seeing.

My mother and I see it again tonight. It is very strange and a little creepy, honestly. I'm positive that there are thousands if not millions of unexplainable occurrences in our atmosphere but most we will never see or hear about. This star (or whatever it is) seems so close and so abnormal. We just can not explain this. I began looking on the internet to see if there is anyone else out there in this big world of ours that has seen the same thing. Though there is not ample coverage on this, we at least feel a little better that you folks have seen it too. And you're all the way in Arizona. We are in Washington State. In our area there are a lot of clear nights with a lot of stars and planets out so we have always been star gazers yet we have never, ever seen this "dancing star". Something isn't right and I can't tell whether it is worth reporting or not. For now, we will just continue to monitor this unexplainable matter.

Good luck to you all and please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like more information as to what we saw or you just want to chat about it. I truly do not and will not believe anything like "it's our eyes playing tricks on us", or "it's just because you are fixating on a particularly small thing". So if those are your explanations you do not need to contact me with that unless you have some solid proof that what we're seeing is an optical illusion or that of something within our minds.

Feel free to email me anytime at: byrunbower1985@gmail.com

• I have just witnessed a dancing star in the sky in Dundee, Scotland. I am still shocked and just joined this site to post in the hope that there is an explanation. The star shot across the sky, stopped, zig zagged, dropped up and down then shot back the other way. I have never seen anything like this. The whole thing lasted around 2 minutes and covered an uncomprehendable distance in such little time. I have seen shooting stars in the past but this was not a shooting star, I really dont know what I have just seen.

seen this myself, something zipping across half the sky in 2 to 3 seconds moving up, down, diagonally, when working one summer in Yosemite. Whatever it was it was super fast and clearly not a typical aircraft.

• The topic was locked