Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Creepy Book Suggestions

ploppy

Hey the Ereader was a gift and one I'm grateful for. I still get books but this way I can read even more for free. I'm not one of those people that needs to have the physical book or the cd, dvd ect. At the end of the day it's still words just this time on a non-paper screen.

Great suggestions coming I'm going to add most of them.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Black Hound

• ploppy

• susieice

• Drago

Try Night Stalks the Mansion. I believe it may be out of print, but you can still get it on Amazon. It is supposed to be a "true" haunting story. It has lots of atmosphere and is not outrageous like Amityville. Very subtle, but creepy and told by the father, who seems well-educated. It almost reads like a mystery with the history of the house being told throughout the book with somewhat of a sad ending, not for the family, but what happened at the mansion.

Also, try Ghost Story by Peter Straub. Not a lot of blood and guts there, definitely tons of creepy atmosphere. The storlyine unfolds slowly, creepily and in mystery fashion. I could go on forever.... :-) I love spooky books!

The Stand is an excellent book, but is more end of days/judgment day than spooky or creepy.

"Weaveworld" by Clive Barker is good, and I just read "False Memory" by Koonzt and that is good, too.

'Woman In Black' by Susan Hill was pretty creepy.

'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson is quite a shocker - much better than the crappy film. :)

:tu:

Aye. The 'legend' he is in the book is much better than the 'legend' he is in the movie. But that's just my opinion.

I also thought Bram Stoker's Dracula was pretty creepy. But that might have to do with me reading it at age 12. For some shock value, I'd recommend reading Stephen King's The Mist THEN watch the movie. The ending in the movie is technically true to the book, for a particular reason, which I won't ruin for you.

Came across a good book by Jeff Belanger, ENCYCLOPEDIA of HAUNTED PLACES. Advertised at other sites, which will not be cited.

I was told to check out James Herbert. Anyone read his stuff?

I used to read his stuff, but I got a bit bored after about the third book. I did enjoy his novel "Once" though.

Most of my variouus books, novels, etc, are academic in nature. though they deal with topics rnging from "ghosts" to pure supernatural, I would not identify any as "creepy"

Can anyone reccommend really creepy scary books for me? I'm thinking I'm going to get a lot of Stephen King suggestions ^_^ I've already gotten my hands on the Stand and will give it a go.

Anything is welcome?

Just about anything written by H.P. Lovecraft.

That man had some issues LOL.

I you get sucked in to his world and trail of thoughts it surely will be a test of your own sanity. :o:wacko:

Almost everything he made was like the John Carpenters - In the Mouth of Madness movie on crack.

Some movies like:

Dagon

Necronomicon

The Unnamable

From Beyond

The movies don't do the books justice, but they sure give an inkling of his twisted imagination and haunting nightmares.

Happy reading/watching. :D

Link: H.P. Lovecraft > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft

Edited by EllJay

Here are a few: The Watkins Dictionary of Magic by Nevil Drury

HAUNTED PLACES by Dennis Hauck

Unternational Directory of Haunted Places by Dennis Hauck

T he Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits by Rosemary Ellen Guiley

Encyclopedia of Haunted Places by Jeff Bellanger

The Encyclopedia of Angels by R.E. Guiley

The Encyclopedia of Magic and Alchemy by R.E. Guiley

The Encyclopedia of Saints by R.E. Guiley

The Encyclopedia of Vampires,Werewolves, and Other Monsters, by R.E. Guiley

The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft, by R.E. Guiley

Plus 2 ceilining high bookshelves with all kinds of interesting stuff in them.

Here are a few: The Watkins Dictionary of Magic by Nevil Drury

HAUNTED PLACES by Dennis Hauck

Unternational Directory of Haunted Places by Dennis Hauck

T he Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits by Rosemary Ellen Guiley

Encyclopedia of Haunted Places by Jeff Bellanger

The Encyclopedia of Angels by R.E. Guiley

The Encyclopedia of Magic and Alchemy by R.E. Guiley

The Encyclopedia of Saints by R.E. Guiley

The Encyclopedia of Vampires,Werewolves, and Other Monsters, by R.E. Guiley

The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft, by R.E. Guiley

Plus 2 ceilining high bookshelves with all kinds of interesting stuff in them.

I've got several of those books myself ^_^

Anyones you have, I'd be interested in knowing about them Thanks

Oh lord, I've got two bookcases full...I'll have to make a list when I get a chance :)

Oh lord, I've got two bookcases full...I'll have to make a list when I get a chance original.gif

No rush, just me being nosey. Thanks for offering to do some looking. Just drop me a pm or something less obtrusive than posting . If that's not some kind of violation?

Edited by Graveyard Hound

No rush, just me being nosey. Thanks for offering to do some looking. Just drop me a pm or something less obtrusive than posting . If that's not some kind of violation?

that was the plan :)

Apologies if these have been posted but I reckon old school is best... try the Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allen Poe and the Turn of the Screw for starters...

• 4 weeks later...

House of Leaves is incredibly creepy and one of my favorite books. I'd say anything Stephen King - pre 1997. Carrie gave me nightmares. The Stand is the best King book out there, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything by H.P Lovecraft is creepy as hell, some of the stories disturbed me for days after i read them.

Not a book, but the computer game Bioshock (not the second, have not played it yet) i found to be very creepy, not scary, but just.... creepy and disconcerting the bit towards the end of the game in the little sisters training area espechially.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. First read Relic then Reliquary.

The stand by Stephen King Pardon me, if this has been mentioned.

Cristina by Stephen King

Communion by Whitley Strieber is a good creepy read, if you like aliens that is :alien:

This book is one of the creepiest I've ever read... the movie is too. I don't really like aliens..

Just about any Stephen King book is entertaining... some aren't so creepy, just enjoyable..here's some I have and enjoy reading..

The Stand

The Tommyknockers

Pet Semetary

Christine

The Shining

It

Cujo

Nightmares and Dreamscapes (short stories)

The Mist

The Langoliers

Carrie

As for books that aren't creepy hardly at all, but very enjoyable...

Peter Benchley's books (jaws, ect.)

Steve Alten's books (meg, the trench)

John F. David (footprints of thunder, thunder of time)

these ones are more science-fiction-esqe type books (no robots or futuristic sagas, though) but are very good reads.