Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

`Father of the Computer', Honoured

Cufflink

Alan Turing, the genius who was at the heart of Bletchley Park's code-cracking war effort, died fifty years ago, yesterday.

It was his idea of creating a machine to turn thought processes into binary numbers which was one of the key turning points in the history of the computer. His revolutionary idea was for a machine that would read a series of ones and zeros from a tape. These described the steps needed to solve a problem or task.

He was of course, also involved with cracking Germany's Enigma code, which gave the Allies a huge advantage against the Nazis.

But by the 50's, he was hounded for his homosexuality, and eventually took his own life, by eating an apple laced with cyanide.

This great man has already been honoured by having a road named after him in Manchester, his adopted city, and the famous Manchester `Gay Village' area has a bronze statue of him. And on Monday, a plaque was unveiled outside his final home, in Wilmslow, to match a plaque in London, his place of birth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manches...ter/3781481.stm

user posted image

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cufflink

• Xenojjin

• Universal Absurdity

• imorningsun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The father of computers was gay....

well, that explains alot

well, that explains alot

In what way? blink.gif

QUOTE (UniversalAbsurdity @ Jun 8 2004, 05:39 PM)

well, that explains alot QUOTE

In what way?

In a fabulous and gay way . blink.gif

user posted image

In a fabulous and gay way . blink.gif

And for those of us who only speak English, what the hell does that mean? blink.gif

you mean English english not American english ?

I shall translate then . In America gay can mean . ....

A ) fabulous

B ) awesome

C ) stupid

D ) Lame

E ) dorky

F ) happy

G ) wierd

H ) funny

I ) homosexual .

my guess is he was referring to H , since many computer nerds are dorky . Hence , the father of computers being gay explains a lot .

And in England, we have an expression `talking b******s', which in American English means, `jibberish'.

There seemed to be a fair bit of this form of `jibberish' being spoken, in reply to me asking a simple question. Could UA perhaps expand on his post?

no . original.giflaugh.gif

Accept thy jibberish .

Sadly, that is often the only thing on offer. rolleyes.gif

Meanwhile, back in topic land...

Could UA perhaps expand on his post?

Perhaps i should have elaborated, but then i would have missed the hilarous posts above. Now that the fun seems to have died down, here is my explanation:

It seems that Alan Turning, was in his early to mid 30's from what the pic looks like. He died 50 years ago, so some time in the late 1930's i assume he figured out that he was gay, which was not at all accepted by the very christian dominated society back then. I'm sure this gave him pleanty of time to do something besides chase girls, which is what most adolecents do. Perhaps he educated himself a bit more than the average person to the point where he got a brilliant idea.

1's and 0's

yes and no.

That explains alot.

*The edit was to re-position the 'yes and no' to further show my point with a tad bit of symbolism, if you can catch it.

post-52-1086758200.gif

Edited by UniversalAbsurdity

Why is that creaters before thier time always go MAD in some sort of way? Example; Ignaz Semmelwieze, The first man to introduce the bacteria concept. He went mad, and spent a half a lifetime in an Asylum. At any rate, I am greatful!

Why is that creaters before thier time always go MAD in some sort of way?

He didn't go mad. He was broken-hearted that a world he had done so much for, treated him like sh**.

btw, thanks for the explanation UA. thumbsup.gifgrin2.gif I see your point, now.

So what if he was gay, without him all us Brits would now be talking German, a true hero. And I for one will honour him.

Edited by jimma