Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extinct ibex is resurrected by cloning

Still Waters

An extinct animal has been brought back to life for the first time after being cloned from frozen tissue.

The Pyrenean ibex, a form of wild mountain goat, was officially declared extinct in 2000 when the last-known animal of its kind was found dead in northern Spain.

Shortly before its death, scientists preserved skin samples of the goat, a subspecies of the Spanish ibex that live in mountain ranges across the country, in liquid nitrogen.

Using DNA taken from these skin samples, the scientists were able to replace the genetic material in eggs from domestic goats, to clone a female Pyrenean ibex, or bucardo as they are known. It is the first time an extinct animal has been cloned.

Sadly, the newborn ibex kid died shortly after birth due to physical defects in its lungs. Other cloned animals, including sheep, have been born with similar lung defects.

But the breakthrough has raised hopes that it will be possible to save endangered and newly extinct species by resurrecting them from frozen tissue.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kratology

• Grandpa Greenman

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• blueandi

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember right they were going to try this with a mastadon as well,

If I remember right they were going to try this with a mastadon as well,

Yes, I remember that too. I suppose the DNA samples are too old compare to a freshly extinct one.

I think it would be easier just to not let these animals go extinct in the first place. It is sad, extinction is forever.

I think it would be easier just to not let these animals go extinct in the first place. It is sad, extinction is forever.

some animals are going extinct dispite man not because of him.

some animals are going extinct dispite man not because of him.

Yes, however mankind is directly responsible for many species becoming extinct and to waste resources trying to resurrect an extinct species smacks of hypocrisy to me. Far better to concentrate on lessening the impact humans make on the environment.

Hypocrisy or maybe a kind of atonement? But I'm not sure I see the point in resurrecting mammoths and dinos. Simple curiosity?

Hypocrisy or maybe a kind of atonement? But I'm not sure I see the point in resurrecting mammoths and dinos. Simple curiosity?

To put them in some kind of Zoo,like Jurassic Park. It'd make millions. There is little point resurrecting newly extinct species, if their environment has been destroyed. Nature made the dinosaurs and mammoths extinct, natural selection dictated they die out. Real atonement would begin with the protection and conservation of species that are here now.

I wonder what would happen if, along with extinct species we managed to resurrect some long since disease or parasite, that we had no control over?

good, cloning of extint animals are becoming reality.I hope soon we wil have plenty of Mammuth's and dino's walking around :D

Yes, however mankind is directly responsible for many species becoming extinct and to waste resources trying to resurrect an extinct species smacks of hypocrisy to me. Far better to concentrate on lessening the impact humans make on the environment.

I agree, protect habitat. There are ways it can be done. By adding wildlife corridors and green space when planning communities.

Right, 'cause ALL of us are directly responsible for the extinction of many species and therefore we have no right to try to bring them back. Mankind is a single entity and if people over-hunt animals to extinction, then that means that all of us approve of it and are directly responsible for it.

Right, 'cause ALL of us are directly responsible for the extinction of many species and therefore we have no right to try to bring them back. Mankind is a single entity and if people over-hunt animals to extinction, then that means that all of us approve of it and are directly responsible for it.

touche.

btw....what species do they plan on using to sustain a dinosaur embryo? never gonna happen, dna is too old and this isn't jurasssic park lol

it is cool though, and they may be able to bring back some newly-extinct species with more time, but not ancient ones.

touche.

btw....what species do they plan on using to sustain a dinosaur embryo? never gonna happen, dna is too old and this isn't jurasssic park lol

it is cool though, and they may be able to bring back some newly-extinct species with more time, but not ancient ones.

I would assume a modern counterpart with a close or similar matching DNA sequence. Hopefully, with a little common sense, the dinosaur chosen will be a herbivore.

And so they re-introduced the extinct species to the world, and immediately found why it had gone extint before... The animals smelt strongly like cheeseburgers. :w00t:

Delicous.

I would assume a modern counterpart with a close or similar matching DNA sequence. Hopefully, with a little common sense, the dinosaur chosen will be a herbivore.

haha true that.

but what animal alive today mostly resembles dinos? crocodiles/aligators, ostrich, most dinosaurs from what we know laid some pretty big eggs. maybe a smaller species is possible, but i dont know. recently extinct species maybe, dinos.....i just dont see it. not in our life time anyways.