Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Diamond oceans may be possible on gas giants

UM-Bot

New research has suggested that there could be liquid diamond oceans with solid diamond icebergs floating on Uranus or Neptune. The research is based on new studies in to the properties and melting point of diamond suggesting that the correct pressure and temperature conditions may have formed such diamond-rich features in our solar system's gas giants.

"Oceans of liquid diamond, filled with solid diamond icebergs, could be floating on Neptune and Uranus, according to a recent article in the journal Nature Physics. The research, based on first detailed measurements of the melting point of diamond, found diamond behaves like water during freezing and melting, with solid forms floating atop liquid forms."

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: Discovery News

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TrueLiez

• pallidin

• Paracelse

• Zaphel

You'd be microscopic dust particles before you even got to sit in a diamond bath. The article said that the liquid diamond is subjected to pressure 40 million more time than the pressure at sea level and that it is heated to more than 50,000 degrees before it melts. I'd love to see it though, from a safe distance in a super air conditioned room, lol.

Edited by Raina

Wouldn't it be cool if the people who really cared about that **** left Africa & South American peasants alone and all took off for Uranus?

If they did maybe we drop the first syllable of the planet's name in honor of its inhabitants.

I'll bet liquid diamond oceans would be an translucent liquid. It would be an amazing site to see. So amazing in fact that it would be impossible to see.

You'd be microscopic dust particles before you even got to sit in a diamond bath. The article said that the liquid diamond is subjected to pressure 40 million more time than the pressure at sea level and that it is heated to more than 50,000 degrees before it melts. I'd love to see it though, from a safe distance in a super air conditioned room, lol.

oops i didnt even read the full article, my bad :P

off course I also want to see it, but thats not enough for me.

i want to touch it but prolly will be my death especially with 40 million times more pressure than @ sea level :rolleyes:

I guess it would not really matter at all. We can artificially produce huge diamonds now.

I assume everyone knows about that.

Scientists have also claimed that there are huge deposits of diamonds deep near the earth's core... maybe they would be a bit closer to home?? Although, maybe as likely to get obliterated in obtaining them! Mind you, sending the blood-diamond minders from Africa to Uranus would be beneficial to everyone!

Z

Just to mention, diamonds are not all that valuable. It's the controlled release that makes them cost so much. If DeBeers were to release even an 1/8th of their gem quality diamonds it would drive the price into the ground. If people only knew how many stones they were hoarding......

Does that mean you could cut glass with Uranus? ;)

Wouldn't it be cool if the people who really cared about that **** left Africa & South American peasants alone and all took off for Uranus?

If they did maybe we drop the first syllable of the planet's name in honor of its inhabitants.

:lol::tu:

lapiche