Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are we living inside a brain ?

UM-Bot

Jay Alfred: In the 1930s and onwards, neurosurgeon Wilder Penfield developed a surgical procedure for epileptics in which he operated on a patient’s exposed brain while the patient remained fully conscious. When an electrode was placed on the patient’s temporal lobe, the patient had a complete flashback to an episode from earlier in his life. (Applying the electrode to other parts of the brain did not produce this.) The scenes always moved forward, and only forward. If music was involved, this followed the precise original tempo; the full score of which the patients would be able to hum with total accuracy — much as an autistic savant would be able to reproduce music with almost complete accuracy — like a recording on a video or compact disc.

Penfield, in his book The Mystery of the Mind recounted, “They were electrical activations of the sequential record of consciousness, a record that had been laid down during the patient's earlier experience. The patient ‘re-lived’ all that he had been aware of in that earlier period of time as in a moving-picture 'flashback'.” He said, "Each time I re-stimulated, she heard the melody again. It began at the same place and went on from chorus to verse." Penfield concluded that the brain stores everything its owner has ever experienced in its original form. The flash-backs seemed to play themselves out in their proper order like scenes in a movie. "Since the electrode may activate a random sample of this strip from the distant past," he reasoned, "and since the most unimportant and completely forgotten periods of time may appear in this sampling, it seems reasonable to suppose that the record is complete and that it does include all periods of each individual's waking conscious life".

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

A tremendous article. I consider all of Jay Alfred's columns here to be "must reading."

I really wish more people would start to look at their own consciousness and the way their own perceptions occur in a new way. For too long we've been locked into this idea that our brain is basically a self contained "meat computer" -- when in fact, something far more complex may be going on in terms of how we think, what thinking and thoughts are, and how the brain is perceiving and processing information, and how the brain is intimately connected to the rest of the universe.

Jay Alfred: In the 1930s and onwards, neurosurgeon Wilder Penfield developed a surgical procedure for epileptics in which he operated on a patient’s exposed brain while the patient remained fully conscious. When an electrode was placed on the patient’s temporal lobe, the patient had a complete flashback to an episode from earlier in his life. (Applying the electrode to other parts of the brain did not produce this.) The scenes always moved forward, and only forward. If music was involved, this followed the precise original tempo; the full score of which the patients would be able to hum with total accuracy — much as an autistic savant would be able to reproduce music with almost complete accuracy — like a recording on a video or compact disc.

Penfield, in his book The Mystery of the Mind recounted, “They were electrical activations of the sequential record of consciousness, a record that had been laid down during the patient's earlier experience. The patient ‘re-lived’ all that he had been aware of in that earlier period of time as in a moving-picture 'flashback'.” He said, "Each time I re-stimulated, she heard the melody again. It began at the same place and went on from chorus to verse." Penfield concluded that the brain stores everything its owner has ever experienced in its original form. The flash-backs seemed to play themselves out in their proper order like scenes in a movie. "Since the electrode may activate a random sample of this strip from the distant past," he reasoned, "and since the most unimportant and completely forgotten periods of time may appear in this sampling, it seems reasonable to suppose that the record is complete and that it does include all periods of each individual's waking conscious life".

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

This is one of the most important articles ever to appear on this post. In addition to being well written, it presents ideas that need to be investigated thoroughly. William B Stoecker

Living in a brain? Of course not! Ive been living without a brain for...wait. What? :w00t:

Living in a brain? Of course not! Ive been living without a brain for...wait. What? :w00t:

Spoken like a true skeptic!! :yes: Jk

I really enjoyed this article, it mirrors many of the same beliefs I have always held. I do believe this planet does have its own concious, and that we extentsions of its biological system.

WOW!!!!!!this article is very interesting......i have a father with parkinson's who has had brain surgery and has metal rods inserted in his brain......and one 7 year old boy with autism.......so i do understand this all too well.We as a family...find it all very frustrating...as his brain behaves differently than it ever did before.....he get's out of sorts so to speak quite a lot......and the messages stop traveling to his brain properly......he has to see his doctor and put very simply....they use those metal rods to re direct the brain waves to sending the right messages to the brain again.As for my son with autism.......and an intellectual impairment.....he kinds of behaves the same way........they both have trouble talking,as that part of the brain is affected........their disabilities are both so very different.....yet behave so similar at times.I agree....the brain behaves in the most amazing way......consciously and sub consciously..............there are so many factors that come together to be what we know as the brain.....and that is no different to the factors and variables that also come together to be what we know as the universe....

Edited by cluey

Splendid article, I have always thought that we lived in more complexed world this article confirms my thought for me.

Edited by Ryinrea

Perhaps we use our own brains to come up with such concepts ;)

Perhaps we are living inside the brain of God.

Why bring god into it:rolleyes:

David icke does alot on this stuff, why did I mention david icke:rolleyes:

Havn't got time to read this yet and fully enjoy it will get round to it a.s.a.p:)

Fantastic article. I have not been on this FORUM for a few months and I really should log in more often as the standard of articles are always exceptional.

Indeed it is my intention to place a link to Jay's article from my own forum at Anthony Peake's FORUM because I am sure that many of the regulars on there will find this article of great interest.

In my books I reference in some detail the work of Wilder Penfield (and the subseqent work of Jose Delgado and Ernest Hilgard). I am of the opinion that these experiments suggest that a full-life memory is encoded within the neurons of the brain .... or possibly these encodings facilitate access to the "Akashic Field" as Ervin Laszlo suggests in his book Science And The Akashic Record - An Integral Theory of Everything. A few years ago I was in email contact with an associate of Penfield, Professor Karl Pribram. Karl has long proposed a holographic basis to memory and he informed me in an email that towards the end of his life Penfield became even more sure that the brain either stores, or has access to, every single event of a life .... not just sight and hearing but all the other sensory data as well. In my books I suggest that these "records" are re-perceived at the point of death in a three dimensional, super-sensesurround recreation of a person's life. I call this "Matrix-like" illusion the "Bohmian IMAX" (in reference to the "holomovement" theories of the late Professor David Bohm).

I would be delighted if Jay checked out the discussions on this subject that are going on at the moment on my FORUM. I am sure that he will find this stuff not only of great interest, but he may be amazed at the synergy between our stuff and his own. Even better if he contributed a posting or two of his own fascinating point of view. Jay, and, of course any other interested members of Unexplained Mysteries, are very welcome to check out our "Particle Physics section at AP Forum - Particle Physics and the Neurology section at AP Forum - Neurology. I think that you will find of particular interest the Collapsing The Consciousness Wave (CtCw) hypothesis of FORUM regular Karl L LeMarcs.

Indeed if any of you folks are based in the South East of England I have been invited by the Society for Psychical Research to present a lecture on my (very) related hypothesis (something I call "Cheating The Ferryman". This will take place at 1835 on Thursday 4th February 2010 at the lecture theatre in Kensington Central Library. Full details can be found at SPR Website - AP talk

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! Deep, stimulating, and enjoyable! Never thought of it from that standpoint...

David icke does alot on this stuff, why did I mention david icke:rolleyes:

Havn't got time to read this yet and fully enjoy it will get round to it a.s.a.p:)

to an ant you would be a god.

• 4 months later...

to an ant you would be a god.

will an ant even have the brains to realise this?

We are theirfore ants to the beings that visit this earth, ew are nothing more than a power source for them.

We are theirfore ants to the beings that visit this earth, ew are nothing more than a power source for them.

Great Avatar,And Great Thread!

We may someday,If we survive ourselfs,Unlike Dr.Frank Fenners artc,suggest get to Understand our

Own Universe and In doing so May get a Look into the actual inner workings of the Sub-Sub Atomic

World Our Brain being the most interseting of Universes of All.

With out our consciousness Of even Being would we even exisit to Create all that we Think We See

Around us. Is it Really there? :unsure:

post-68971-127695747651_thumb.jpg

if we are just ants to them, then we are probable just a point of wonder like ants are to us.

well not god as in christian god but someone who can be called god because we will never be greater than he is or more powerful. He can create or destroy us with just one thought, he can do as he pleases in our world, nothing is impossible when everything here is located in his mind ..... pretty interesting if you ask me.

hehe did someone realize that he/she is God??

did this brain thing give a power to recreate everything??

• 10 months later...

As Spiritual teachers of renown have been telling us for centuries and as Quantum physics has been telling us for years, the microcosm and macrocosm are one. Now, what that means on a perceptual level is for us to decide. Wonderful articles and follow ups.

Have I not told you, that you are Gods? What does that mean?

There are universes within us as well.

• Like 1

As Spiritual teachers of renown have been telling us for centuries and as Quantum physics has been telling us for years, the microcosm and macrocosm are one. Now, what that means on a perceptual level is for us to decide. Wonderful articles and follow ups.

Have I not told you, that you are Gods? What does that mean?

There are universes within us as well.

Please don't confuse Quantum Mysticism with real Quantum physics .

LOL just had an image of a huge Galactic being looking down on us tiny human specks and thinking will a human even have the brains to realise this?

:rolleyes:

The beauty of any science is imagining how the impossible could be translated into plausible. :)

This article, I will continue to read it several times and perhaps add my own input.

Perhaps we use our own brains to come up with such concepts ;)

Well said!

Thanks for your concern. I don't.