Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haiti quake victim rescue operation is over

Still Waters

Haiti's government has made the "heartbreaking" decision to declare the search and rescue phase for survivors of the earthquake over, the UN says.

The announcement came a day after two people, an 84-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man, were pulled alive from the rubble in Port-au-Prince.

The UN spokeswoman Elizabeth Byrs says 132 people have been rescued since the earthquake 11 days ago.

On Friday the official government death toll from the quake rose to 110,000.

Speaking in Geneva, Ms Byrs said that the decision to end the rescue operation was "heartbreaking" but that it had been taken on the advice of experts.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cadetak

• sear

• Still Waters

• MichaelW

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming this decision was made because if they haven't bin found and rescued by now then they are probably already dead? So they are relocating efforts to more pressing matters and will go back to finding bodies when time and resource allows?

I remember watching a report where there was an aid station that was attacked by looters and I think destroyed because neither the UN or the government has any control. What I think many people fail to see, but this is only my opinion, is that in order to distribute supplies effectively is to gain control of the population and at the moment, the UN has neither. A boost of security troops would be needed because when someone is that desperate that they are willing to kill for food is when the proverbial **** will hit the fan. Desperation could kill just as many as disease.

"Haiti's government has made the "heartbreaking" decision to declare the search and rescue phase for survivors of the earthquake over" from SW's post

Hours after this declaration, a young man was pulled from rubble, 11 days after the 1st quake.

Reports indicate he survived on sodapop, and cookies. He was reported to be in good condition.

I remember watching a report where there was an aid station that was attacked by looters and I think destroyed because neither the UN or the government has any control. What I think many people fail to see, but this is only my opinion, is that in order to distribute supplies effectively is to gain control of the population and at the moment, the UN has neither. A boost of security troops would be needed because when someone is that desperate that they are willing to kill for food is when the proverbial **** will hit the fan. Desperation could kill just as many as disease.

The United States has control of the Airport and the UN has control of the distribution. The local Haiti government is in dissaray, for all intents and purposes there isn't one, for the officials that aren't dead, injured, or missing many are taking care of their families...and for the ones who are not they are cut off from their usual offices and government buildings.

Infastructure and distribution is still the concern...roads are blocked off, communications are shakey, etc.

I imagine troops aren't the problem as everybody and their mom has their military there. What I believe may be the problem is that they are not authorized for security...foreign troops popping shots off at citizens after a catastrophe is not what anybody wants to see on the front page.

Cadetak,

I gather one of the things that had to be accomplished before U.S.' aid could begin to arrive was for the international agreements allowing it had to be approved by both governments.

Otherwise, instead of being an emergency rescue and relief operation, it would have been an invasion.

I don't know whether that formality actually delayed the arrival of U.S. aid.

But it at least demonstrates that it's not as simple some may think.

The United States has control of the Airport and the UN has control of the distribution. The local Haiti government is in dissaray, for all intents and purposes there isn't one, for the officials that aren't dead, injured, or missing many are taking care of their families...and for the ones who are not they are cut off from their usual offices and government buildings.

Infastructure and distribution is still the concern...roads are blocked off, communications are shakey, etc.

I imagine troops aren't the problem as everybody and their mom has their military there. What I believe may be the problem is that they are not authorized for security...foreign troops popping shots off at citizens after a catastrophe is not what anybody wants to see on the front page.

I agree and you can understand a) concerns over security B) the Haitian people become increasingly more desperate. I think the intensity could be diffused by the parachuting of emergency supplies of food and water. If the UN follows procedure in handing it out persoally then it will take much too long and who's to say the looters won't just take it back anyway. It is a right royal mess alright but the aid effort has lack co-oirdination to effective. Wasting time while time is a wasting for those people.

Cadetak,

I gather one of the things that had to be accomplished before U.S.' aid could begin to arrive was for the international agreements allowing it had to be approved by both governments.

Otherwise, instead of being an emergency rescue and relief operation, it would have been an invasion.

I don't know whether that formality actually delayed the arrival of U.S. aid.

But it at least demonstrates that it's not as simple some may think.

It's all legal, the Haiti government petitioned for Aid to the US and UN and we responded. After we all got there and realized the mess the shambled Haiti government gave control of their airport to the United States Military because the Haiti's realized they where in position to coordinate it themselves.

Relief and emergency rescue was on the ground within hours after the earthquake with full consent of the Haiti government and its people.

Any delays where a result of a destroyed infastructure...communications and electricity, blocked roads, docks, and all the world trying to get into one airport. As well as the local government being is disarray which made nobody sure who was in charge at first.

S2,

Security is important.

Getting enough food to Haiti to feed every man, woman, and child there that needs it doesn't help as much if only machete wielding thugs get the food.

There've already been reports of fights breaking out.

Keeping order during a disaster is at least as important as it is the rest of the time.

Cadetek,

Your description, though accurate, is discouraging.

But reports indicate things are improving daily.

That's encouraging.