Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magnetic Fields

STIX

A copper wire with electricity flowing through it creates a magnetic field.

can this be reversed? so a magnetic field creates an electric current?

any other interesting information or concepts about magnetic fields and their implications are welcome. I am an inquiring mind!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• aquatus1

• Chauncy

• sasass

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a question of my own (I hope you don't mind STIX). Can a living thing randomly produce a magnetic field?

Good questions.

I know that with the Earth it is similar to a magnet and iron filings. Where the earth is like a dipole magnet with north and south orientations. With the dipole magnet and a piece of paper you could see the pattern made by sprinkling the iron filings on the paper and moving it over the magnet.

Our Earth's magnetic field collects charged particle in its field pattern like the iron filings on the paper. Therefore these charged particles could be what we need to create this electricity your talking about.

I don't know if humans have their own magnetic field or not....magnetism of a different nature I might speculate, because as of yet I've no problems with paper-clips sticking to me original.gif

post-52-1087240010.gif

It is my opinion through reading up on quantum physics, and sciences in general that all particles are comprised fundamentally of light, which is an electro-magnetic wave/photon. All things are minutely magnetic.

I have read an article on psychic phenomenon where a man claiming to be psychic was able to alter a very strong magnetic field. I dont know if he did this by creating his own magnetic field, but its interesting just the same.

The Article

In 1970, Ingo Swann started out experimenting mind’s ability to affect plants. He later went on to demonstrate PK under controlled conditions. At the Stanford Research Institute in California, under the supervision of H. E. Puthoff, succeeded in an impossible task. He altered a magnetic field in a magnetometer, which is a device used in measuring the direction and magnitude in a magnetic field. The magnetometer was placed inside an iron vault with four different shielding to prevent any outside influence. Ingo Swann went on to participate in the famous U.S. funded Star Gate program which involved remote viewing, psychic espionage

Source

As for a magnetic field creating electricity, i would not know. Maybe you should look up anything about Nicola Tesla. From what i remember he made quite a few things that relied on magnets. (i'm not sure, but try finding out about tesla coils)

A copper wire with electricity flowing through it creates a magnetic field.

can this be reversed? so a magnetic field creates an electric current?

Magnetic fields do generate electricity - this is called electromagnetic induction. There are many physics tutorials online describing visually the principle of EM induction. Just type "electromagnetic induction" in Google...

Alternatively, you can go to radioshack and buy a little generator set.

All a generator basically is is a magnet revolving around a coil of wire, imparting an electric charge to it.

UniversialAbsurdity had a good idea with suggesting research into Nikola Tesla and his works and ideas. The man himself was an enigma.

Tesla had a knack for visualizing inventions in their final, finished form. He also would envision a great many other ideas and concepts, which only later in this century would come to pass. One such idea was the creation of a large ring that would encircle the earth. Built on scaffolding, once completed, the scaffolding would be removed, and the ring would remain stationary. 20th century geosynchronous satellites work in a similar way.

http://www.apc.net/bturner/tesla.htm

He had over 700 patents to his name.

http://www.parascope.com/en/1096/tesindex.htm

He has his own museum in Belgrade. This place I would like to visit sometime.

http://www.yurope.com/org/tesla/uvode.htm

This site has all the info you need on Nikola Tesla.

http://home.earthlink.net/~drestinblack/teslatoc.htm

Magnetic fields generate electricity. blink.gif How could a magnetic field bring on paranormal events like some people say? Could electricity bring on paranormal occurences? I don't know anything about this, I am asking a serious question though. Would a magnetic field be felt...could it set up some kind of force field?

Sorry, that's probably off-topic, I was curious.

Edited by Babs

I am not aware of magnetic fields bringing paranormal phenomena, but some people believe that animals can feel the changes in the Earth's magnetic field. Others try to position their beds in North-South direction so the Earth's magnetic field creates positive vibrations in the body.

Actually, yes, magnetic fields do produce paranormal phenomena, but not in the way you think.

It is, at this point, a common trick of neuroresearchers to wave a magnetic wave generator over certain parts of the school and record the effects. One of the first effects documented was the sudden feeling of "presences" in the room, of deja vu, and of floating outside the body. Many experiences usually described as extra-sensory can be replicated using magnetic fields on the mind.

aquatus...Yes, I remember seeing this on tv. Yes, that was very interesting...don't know what to think of that.

I am talking about people just saying magnetic fields can bring on paranormal events; I mean, that is their explanation.

What about those mystery places or houses that have everything tilted...and people can't stand upright in them. They say it has something to do with magnetic fields or ley lines. Does anyone know what this is?

What are the exact effects of magnetism on the human brain?.....bettter yet, what are the effects of magnetism on any brain?

Those tilted field that you were referring to, (I'm assuming that you are talking about those 'mystery shacks' and whatnot, with the water falling at an angle and the brooms balancing on their ends) are actually rather large optical illusions. They are caused by a landslip, which is simlar to a landslide, except that the entire surface ground moves as one cohesive unit, causing all the uprights on it, such as trees and lightposts, to lean uniformly in a certain direction. Since our sense of balance relies so heavily on visual cues, it is very easy for the mind to perceive the background of the trees and posts as 'straight up', since, in most of our experience, that is exactly how these things are. The mind then perceives everything not in line with the trees as 'leaning'. People of this area then throw in a few other simple illusions that can be found in most library's books, and voila, instant tourist trap. No magnetism involved.

As far as people claiming that magnetic fields produce paranormal effects, I have found that to be less of a scientific answer and more of a paranormal investigator answer. In other words, what they are sensing for is for electrical disturbances that might effect certain components in certain equipment, causing it to act in a ghostly way, such as television sets with strange images, radios making eerie sounds, and, generally, electrical equipment acting in non-standard ways. Now, there are places where, for one reason or another, there are localized spots of high magnetic energy. They can affect electronic components in minor ways, but I have never seen any effects that could be considered dramatic. The reason I believe this explanation is bandied about so much is that some of the electronic devices effected by this sort of thing are (not surprisingly) the same devices used to detect these energies, i.e. magnetrometers and EMP detectors. By showing how dramatically different the readings in one area are compared to the reading in another area, they insinuate that these differences would be enough to account for mysterious occurences, without considering that the actual quantities in questions, while larger than normal, are still insufficient to create the alleged effect. There are, as always, exceptions, but by and large, naturally occurring magnetic fields do not have the power to effect electronic or electrical equipment in any major way.

Now, as to the exact effects of magnetism on the human brain, that is precisely the subject of ongoing investigation right now. Physically, the effect seems to be that the magnetic field causes the nerve cells to fire off repeatedly, to the point that they exhaust their NA/K balance, causing them to 'shut down' till they regain their balance and are able to properly work again. Alternatively, it also seems to energize certain cells, causing them to show certain abilities that were either not present or significantly muted before. I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, but I'll answer what I can.

Alternatively, it also seems to energize certain cells, causing them to show certain abilities that were either not present or significantly muted before

What type of abilities?

You stated that magnetism causes the brain cells to fire untill they shut down. Can this be controlled so that the magnetic field is only applied in enough strength to keep the cells firing but not so they shut down?

Yo I gotta question. you guys seem pretty sharp when it comes to magnetism.

If I wanted to take a Steel rail, And the magnetis it to North polarity and then did the same on a long piece of track would the rial float on the track?

That is if the Force field is strong enough.

Edited by Dragunai

aquatus...Yes, that is what I was talking about. I wanted to ask you what ley lines were, too?

What type of abilities?

You stated that magnetism causes the brain cells to fire untill they shut down. Can this be controlled so that the magnetic field is only applied in enough strength to keep the cells firing but not so they shut down?

Savant-like abilities. One test subject was suddenly capable of drawing beautifully detailed pictures of horses for several hours before the ability faded away. No other animals, just horses. And the other researchers claimed that he seemed more focused on this than usual, not responding to their questions in the manner that he usually did (as you might gather, these researchers are actually testing these things on themselves; not a standard practice within the scientific community.)

Neurons cannot fire indefinitely. Their firing depends on the Sodium-Potassium balance within their bodies. Once that balance is too far out of whack, they need to take some time to recuperate.

If I wanted to take a Steel rail, And the magnetis it to North polarity and then did the same on a long piece of track would the rial float on the track?

Not completely sure what you are asking, but it seems to be about magnetic levitation. Yes, you can balance two opposing poles against each other, but it is difficult and unstable without various controls being in place.

I wanted to ask you what ley lines were, too?

Mythically, they are lines of mystic power traversing the Earth in specific spots of lines, from which ancient magic-users could derive energy from. A more modern, yet still mystic definition is that they are natural flows of Earth's power, much like flares on the sun, which affect both your psychic self and your physical self (there is at least one report of a person being thrown out of a ley line by some mysterious force.).

Scientifically....well, the closest one can come to a science of ley lines is that they do seem to have a repeating geometric pattern of appearance. In other words, although ley lines and 'power spots' move around, they tend to stay the same relative to each other. This would indicate to me that it is a natural phenomena, probably geological in origin. As far as energy readings go, they do not differ from any other location. Some psychics claim to be able to see them as auras.

Edited by aquatus1

One test subject was suddenly capable of drawing beautifully detailed pictures of horses for several hours before the ability faded away. No other animals, just horses. And the other researchers claimed that he seemed more focused on this than usual, not responding to their questions in the manner that he usually did (as you might gather, these researchers are actually testing these things on themselves; not a standard practice within the scientific community.)

There is an ongoing study dealing with the effects of magnetic fields in the treatment of depression and degenerative brain diseases, which looks very promising.

" In other work, scientists are finding that additional brain ailments may benefit from TMS. For example, researchers found that TMS applied to the front part of the brain speeds up the ability of healthy volunteers to solve puzzles requiring skills in analogical reasoning. Next, they plan to test whether the technique can help reinstate lost abilities in patients with brain disorders, such as Parkinson's disease and stroke."

http://web.sfn.org/content/Publications/Br...timulation.html

TMS = transcranial magnetic stimulation

Psychiatry is very interested in TMS as well.

http://www.musc.edu/tmsmirror/intro/layintro.html

There is a method also where the magnetic fields of the brain are measured and used to diagnose epilepsy, stroke, and mental illness.

http://www.lanl.gov/quarterly/q_spring03/s...quid_text.shtml

So, no one really knows what ley lines are?

So, no one really knows what ley lines are?

It's a paranormal phenomena. Like all its kind, there are theories and conjectures, and many different definitions. Without any actual imperical evidence, there is no way to come to a commonly accepted definition of the phenomena, assuming it actually exists to begin with. There is another thread talking specifically about ley lines, they might have more info.

That's interesting Chauncy. Thanks aquatus... fascinating Erikl. original.gif

Edited by Babs

here it is as plainly as it can be put...

(almost)everything has a magnetic field

(almost)everything has an electronic signature

light, sound & temperature- are all biproducts of movement.(vibration)

vibration occurs from the movement of molecular particles.

(protons, neutrons, electrons)

the particles move because of similar and dissimilar

electro magnetic fields.

everything is moving and creating electricity and magnetism

either will produce the other

but neither can exist alone

and yes humans are an electrical magnetic entity, therefor, influenceable