Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blair Condems Euro 2004 Violence

Guest Lottie

ok aslan.

Channel 5 yesterday on the "right stuff" described them a s british.

GMTV described them as british

Sky digital news text when the initial trouble broke out described the hooligans as "brits".

The BBC article above described them as "britons".

However today its full of english this and england that after the victory.

Antother exampple was when damon hill won the formula 1 title he was described as english.

When David Coulthard won his first Grand Prix he was described as british by all news channels.

Im sorry but its rife.

It is not "absolute crap".

I could go on & on & on & on with many examples.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• Talon

• Stamford

• Cufflink

Top Posters In This Topic

Overly pithy though Jimma's post was, it's the truth.

I've never heard any terrestrial British TV station refer to England hooligans as 'British' hooligans. Not once.

I have... although, News24 at least seems to have been doing well this time on the matter, also other media forms.... Que artical from The Independent

"The legal rights group Fair Trials Abroad said the treatment of Mann and 10 other British fans ordered to be deported by the court on Wednesday night - seven of whom received suspended jail sentences - did not comply with the European Convention on Human Rights. The convention allows a defendant time to prepare a defence and call witnesses."

Does anyone need any more.

Im dure the BBc and ITV would gladly send us a few quotes from the thousands of letters and complaints tehy get ragarding this matter.

You obviously have no idea how frustrated we all get when we are all tarred by these hooligans and even more frustrated when you deny tehre existence and practically defenb them.

Scotland fans as with irish and welsh fans work hard toke make a good reputation for themseleves winning awards all the way.

Only for all that work to be destroyed by mindless idiont.

AND BY THE WAY.

It isnt much of a minority in beligium and hollad 2000 there were absolutley thousands, in france 98 tehre were thousands.

Im sorry but the way you were attacking us deserved this respons.

Im sorry but the way you were attacking us deserved this respons.

Wun, I doubt the comments where made as 'attacks', it is simply that being English they have no reason to particularly notice when the press uses English and when they use British, being Scottish, such things irritate and thus stand out more when they happen.... we are just more aware of it is all.

I'm afraid to point out that the hooligans who cause the trouble actually ARE BRITISH.

The 'England' fans who cause trouble are not just from England, but there are also Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh amongst them.

the difference is that England has the reputation for violence, so if Cardiff city hooligans, or Rangers ICF fancy a fight abroad, they do so under the English banner.

Having travelled abroad to see England play that last post is spot on. The people that make that journey are from all corners of the UK. the fact that England are playing tends to deceive people in to thinking they are all English. thumbsup.gif

Ok lol this is exactly why england teams never receive any awards and even get banned from competetions.

So what happens to these hooligans when our own national and club teams go abroad??????????????????????????????

Where do they hide??????????????????????/

DO they just become nice guys again????????????????????

Open your eyes.

How come 80 000 celtic fans can go to seville without 1 single arrest?

Yet england fans cant even behave theselves back in england after a game.

I have travelled abroad with celtic and scotland BTW and have been to tournaments where both england and scotland have been at the same tournament.

They are nothin like each other.

The reaon why your problem is gettin worse and worse is because of the attitudes of people like yourselves.

You deny that england fans do anythin wrong.

Try to share the blame on the rest of us.

Edited by wunarmdscissor

Your guys are still trying piece Wembley back together again. tongue.gif

You keep mentioning 80,000 fans and no arrests.....great, good for you. That's one game.

How about when Liverpool played Celtic at Anfield? Who were the green and white clad men being taken away in a police van? Youre fans, that's who. My 10 yr old son sure didn't appreciate the aggressive attentions of the Scots. I can quote times when we have had troubleless campaigns. but that doesn't hide the facts.

My eyes are open, totally. I have been there and seen it. thumbsup.gif

The reaon why your problem is gettin worse and worse is because of the attitudes of people like yourselves.

You deny that england fans do anythin wrong.

Where did I say our fans do nothing wrong? Answer: I didn't. Don't imply or assume on a whim. As for attitudes like mine, I have a son who I love to take to Anfield and see our team play football. We enjoy the train journey, we have a few drinks at the family pub and chat with other familes, we then go to the game and cheer on the boys. That's my idea of a good day out. My attitude is for a good day out, not to see hooligans.

Once again your narrow-minded views and your clumsy assumptions make you laughable.

Edited by phenomenon

The reality is that all countries have their elements of violent 'fans'.

The violence in Portugal is minimal compared to recent competitions and is has occurred not at the grounds but in City Centre bars - so technically it isn't footbal violence, but simply lads getting drunk and causing bother.

It certainly isn't on the same scale as France or Belgium/Holland.

I am sorry that you Scots, Welsh and Irish get tarred with the same brush, but we are tarred with the 'hooligan' label, which is unfair.

Consider the facts, there are thousands upon thousands of English fans over in Portugal at the moment, 99.9% of whom are law abiding citizens who are simply there to have fun, watch the football and have a few beers.

A few muppets get nicked and we all cop the 'hooligan' tag.

The reality is that all countries have their elements of violent 'fans'.

Exactly. thumbsup.gif

How about when Liverpool played Celtic at Anfield? Who were the green and white clad men being taken away in a police van? Youre fans, that's who. My 10 yr old son sure didn't appreciate the aggressive attentions of the Scots

ok i dont remeber any coverage whatsoever of that on the news mate, im not sayin your lying........................what was the excuse i heard earlier on tv...........oh thats it yeah maybe they were provoked.

I really dont remember that on the news.

So i guess they missed that when they awarded us the fifa and uefa faur play awrads eh????????????? tongue.gif

PLease quote the troubless campains if you would.

I am about as open minded as they come..

I have seen football violence as bad probably wors than most during and after an old firm game......difference is that as a nation we are trying to stop that as much as we can.

OUr clubs have major ant-bigotry campaigns our government is tirelessly working to stop it.

We NEVER make excuses ever.

however thats all ive heard comin from people all this week.

BTW i do feel for the vast majority of english people who get tarred by them.

My main quarrel is with the media.

A few muppets get nicked and we all cop the 'hooligan' tag

Stamford if it were just a few that wouldnt be that bad .

However it may be minority but its a large minority.

Your right everyone has their violence.

How come england has teh worst reputation tho.

BTW if scots welsh and irish cause trouble under england's flags then why is it always english people who get nicked and stopped from goin to the games.

Why were the 10 people arrested all english and not mixed.

BTW if scots welsh and irish cause trouble under england's flags then why is it always english people who get nicked and stopped from goin to the games.

Why were the 10 people arrested all english and not mixed.

I'm willing to hazard a guess that among the 2700 hooligans banned from leaving the country, more than a couple were Scottish, Welsh or Northen Irish.

I'm not trying to shirk any of the blame here, just pointing out that known Welsh and Scottish hooligans have openly admitted travelling with the English fans to cause trouble.

Stamford if it were just a few that wouldnt be that bad .

But Wun it is just a few.

As I said earlier:

Consider the facts, there are thousands upon thousands of English fans over in Portugal at the moment, 99.9% of whom are law abiding citizens who are simply there to have fun, watch the football and have a few beers.

The media loves the violence and manipulate the facts so that a few mindless idiots suddenly become thousands.

The violence, whilst a tradgedy, is still minimal.

I cannot deny that in the past England's name has been dragged through the mud. But let's get some perspective here; this is not full scale rioting by hundreds of English fans, but a minority of prats who cannot handle their beer.

i know, im not sayin your wronge either stamford.

Rite anyway lets just forget about it.

Rite anyway lets just forget about it.

thumbsup.gif

I would like to add one thing though mate, and that's that I wish our fans were as well behaved as the Tartan Army.

I think we all agree on that one.

Cheers .

BTW to all.

I do nont hate the english.

My posts may have come accross as anti-english,

I am defo not that.

My posts may have come accross as anti-english,

Not at all, mate.