Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Putin Says Russia Warned U.S. on Saddam

DC09

ASTANA, Kazakhstan (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin, in comments sure to help President Bush, declared Friday that Russia knew Iraq's Saddam Hussein had planned terror attacks on U.S. soil and had warned Washington.

Putin said Russian intelligence had been told on several occasions that Saddam's special forces were preparing to attack U.S. targets inside and outside the United States.

"After the events of September 11, 2001, and before the start of the military operation in Iraq, Russian special services several times received information that the official services of the Saddam regime were preparing 'terrorist acts' on the United States and beyond its borders," he told reporters.

"This information was passed on to our American colleagues," he said. He added, however, that Russian intelligence had no proof that Saddam's agents had been involved in any particular attack.

The Kremlin leader's comments were certain to bolster Bush, whose campaign for re-election in November is under pressure from the Iraq crisis.

The U.S. leader has been on the defensive at home for insisting -- against the findings of an independent commission -- that Saddam had links with al Qaeda, the militant group behind the 2001 airline attacks in the United States that killed 3,000 people and prompted the U.S. war on terrorism.

Putin's remarks were all the more unusual since Russia had diplomatic relations with Saddam's Iraq and sided with France and Germany in opposing the invasion.

Full Article

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blood Angel

• bathory

• Babs

• Naveed

Top Posters In This Topic

So why were the russians against the war????

I believe they were having some sort of financial dealings with Saddam...

Edited by Kellalor

Saddams Baath party owed the Russian Federation, over 1 billion dollars. They ran up the debt after Russia supplied them with arms, when Saddam came to power.

They also owed France money...

Since 911, I thought that this was true. I was very worried about Iraq devil.gif ...and now it is out.

They also owed France money...

france also had a multi-billion dollar oil contract in place to go once sanctions were lifted

so where are all our lefty friends?

in IRC i linked the news article and you wanna know what arguement someone gave

"if it's the Russian special services, it's gotta be right, they'd never fabricate evidence"

i mean really

thats about as bad as me saying that the Sept 11 commision was a communist conspiracy and we should ignore it.

Since 911, I thought that this was true. I was very worried about Iraq  ...and now it is out

To be fair babs your first thoughts after 9/11 were "taht iraq and saddam husseign were part of the attacks".

We all know how thats ended.

I think the same as I did before. Saddam was a threat to us because he and the terrorists could make one hell of a problemo. ohmy.gif

Now, hopefully, things are coming to light. I said that there has to be more than a band of terrorists behind 911. I think that there were governments with the terrorists, those jackals couldn't have done it by themselves.

People over here thought this, scissor...not everyone, of course.

I think its bull****. Putin is just doing bush a favor by covering his ass. What russia knows, the whole world knows. Therefore America must have known. *shrugs*

*mumbles something about corrupt security services...*

Or you just can't accept that evidence is appearing that says Bush didn't screw up.

I'm not even going to get into this one, there was no connection with bin laden and saddam full stop....

good one Naveed thumbsup.gif

Pretty convenient for our "president" that Putin's statement comes immediately after the 911 commission reports that Saddam was not supporting bin Laden and Al Quaeda.

I think its bull****. Putin is just doing bush a favor by covering his ass. What russia knows, the whole world knows. Therefore America must have known. *shrugs*

Imagine if it had been "Putin slams Bush saying they gave him intelligence to the contrary" you'd have been all over it claiming its proof of how right you are, get over yourself thanks, a world leader, against the war, comes out and supports bush, he is more in the know than you will ever be.

get over yourself thanks, a world leader, against the war, comes out and supports bush, he is more in the know than you will ever be.

Putin sounds supportive alright...

Article

However, Putin said there was no evidence that Saddam's regime was involved in any terrorist attacks.

Russia opposed the invasion of Iraq and Putin said Friday the information did not effect its stance on the war.

He said there were international norms and procedures that weren't observed regarding "the use of force in international actions."

Regarding how the information might have been related to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, Putin said, "Whether or not this was sufficient basis to state the United States was acting within the boundaries of self-defense, well, I don't know. This is a separate issue."

The United States, meanwhile, never mentioned the Russian intelligence in its arguments for going to war.

Regardless, The White House is still sticking to the story that Iraq was linked to 9/11...So who knows what the heck is really going on...

Putin sounds supportive alright...

well it was supportive by saying that they had intelligence that suggested iraq was planning attacks, this adds more to Bush's justification. After that, Putin simply says that they however opposed the war blah blah

but yes it is odd that they would stick to their guns with Iraq being involved with 9/11, maybe Saddam said something:P