Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Malta Cave and missing Children.

Columbo

That is exactly what I was thinking too. I love those books. He is a wonderful writer.

I have National Geographics dating back that far at my home in the States. When I return I will have to look for this story. Very interesting.

Are these novels or true stories this author writes?

I ran the title and author through two of the largest libraries I know, the Library of Congress and the New York Public Library. I got no results in either. You would think if it got the interest of NatGeo they would have this book in their catalogs. It couldn't have been a very popular read. They do have NatGeo but I can't find anyway to access the magazine's August 1940 issue online.

I believe that is called a "cover up."

I wouldn't say it's well documented in National Geographic at all.

First of all, the article isn't called THE REALITY OF THE CAVERN WORLD, by Riley Crabb; The article is called "Wanderers Awheel in Malta" by Richard Walter.

There is a pic of the underground caves with a blurb under that basically reiterates the 3 small paragraphs later in the article (I've circled the relevant paragraphs):

natgeopic.jpg

natgeo.jpg

Nothing spooky or creepy at all. Just an unfortunate story about children getting lost in a cave. Search parties were sent but they weren't found. Nothing about cut ropes or anything. As for the mothers hearing screams, I highly doubt it. If only the mothers heard it, they were probably hearing things because of the overwhelming grief they would be feeling. If others had heard it, I might buy into it.

That's all the entire August 1940 issue says.

Edited by shadowlark

• 8 months later...

i know this is an older topic, but i have just read it now. :) i find this one to be very interesting (and kind of spooky as well), and was wondering if anything else has come to light on this one :)

i know this is an older topic, but i have just read it now. :) i find this one to be very interesting (and kind of spooky as well), and was wondering if anything else has come to light on this one :)

Me too. This is an interesting read and I have never heard of it untill today. I would like to know more about it as well. OK I saw the article. That is fascintating. But this is one expedition I would not undertake. I absolutely deplore underground things, always have. If I get out of site of the opening of a cave I am a wreck.. Not scared of heights, been rappelling and flying. Not scared of water or being under water. Not scared of much in the natural world, but underground eeek.. Don't like it at all, but love to read about it lol

Edited by portraitartist

as an aside, i thought i would add, its surprisngly hard to find information on these caves at all :unsure2: (half-way reliable information)... :no:

i found (or thought i had found) two good links on the topic, but of course both pages failed to load. lol - it appears as if the topic itself is becoming cursed.lol

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if people in present day are allowed to venture into the cave(s) anymore? I'm curious to see if there are any other stories similar, whether here or around the world. This is truly a truly creepy story, whether fact or fiction! dontgetit.gif

Does anyone know if people in present day are allowed to venture into the cave(s) anymore? I'm curious to see if there are any other stories similar, whether here or around the world. This is truly a truly creepy story, whether fact or fiction! dontgetit.gif

probably not without special permission - we 'need' to assemble a team and explore the caves and find these monsters. *nods*

• 7 months later...

Thank you for the link, I am starting to read the book now becasue I have never heard of it before, so it will take me a while! It is a fascinating topic when you take the time to consider it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well It doesnt really suprise me about them getting lost I bet that happens a lot more than people think when people go into cave systems and tunnels that there not all that familiar with. It is interesting none the less though.

That is some creepy story. Like the others said, getting lost in a cave and never coming back isn't unexpected, especially when you are unfamiliar with the landscape.

• 2 weeks later...

One day.... I will go to these mysterious places, hopefully find out what happened.

• Like 1

Saw a program about the missing school children. Can't remember which chanel it was on. Seem to remember the investigator not being able to find any newspaper reports about the story, and that the locals were reluctant to believe that a class of kids could go missing.

• 1 month later...

SO National Geographic, some 70 years later, have made a documentary about this and are in fact telling the story of the giants living underground. They may use the word 'skeptical' but they are still mentioning it.

Documentary is called National Geographic Ancient X Files, and it's Series 2, episode 1 titled "Mona Lisa Code"

• 3 months later...

I'm interested in this thread as I plan to visit the Hypogeum next year and was doing a bit of reading up on it when I stumbled across this story.

The timing of the visits by Miss Jessup (cited as 1940s on many sites) and Walters (obviously pre August 1940) bothered me as there didn't seem to be much window of time for the events to occur and I've managed to find this link to the original article which has been republished by Borderlands Science.

http://journal.borde...e-cavern-world/

There is no mention in the article of Jessup being employed by the British Embassy, she merely states that she was visiting friends on Malta in the mid 1930s. (This would make her recounting of the story to Crabbe in 1960 around 25 years after the event).

Later in the article Crabbe states that she is an Englishwoman, i.e. not an American tourist as sometimes claimed.

The article states that Walters visited Malta in 1939 ( by the time the article was published Malta was beseiged (btw it was never taken by the Axis so the Nazis didn't use the tunnels).

If her recollection is correct and the children disappeared between her 2 visits a few months apart then that would make the events occuring in a window of around 1933 - 38 probably in summer or autumn as she states the weather was very hot on her first visit. (Malta tends to be cool and often foggy in the winter).

This would obviously make the tragedy (if it happened) very recent when Walters visited.

Interestingly Jessup's account makes no mention of the cries of the children being heard for weeks afterwards. I also note that she heard the story of the disappearing children from a friend who "called me to read an item from the Valetta paper" implying that she herself never actually saw the published article but was told about it over the telephone.

Edited by Collie2
  • Like 1

Hold on a tick...

...30 school children(presumably a semi mature age, around 13 maybe?) and shall we say 3 teachers, go missing, take out a minmum of 10% to account for injuries, leaves us around 26 people lost in a natural tunnel/cave system thats supposed to stretch beneath the island.

Split these into 8 groups of 3 and leaves 2 to tend to the wounded.

Thats 8 chances of finding another way out or at least a cavern close enough to civilisation to raise the alarm.

Guessing they had torches, if not, guaranteed one of the kids would of had matches/lighter.

As for the screaming and voices heard by the mothers, more than likely hysteria brought on by the grief of the loss of the children, which is understandable.

Edited by Redefining Success
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Didn't made an intro cos I'm not planing to stay but i just registered cos i came across this post and i want only to say that I'm from Malta and was very familiar with the hypogium catacombs and yes children where missing and no falls or sealing caved in ... Miss Lois Jessup did saw what she claimed and yes also the voices where heard .

The hypogium is out off bounce today and a very clever cover up was made , story forgotten and today is known as myth for most.

Hope this don't spark nothing and you let it be all a mystery of the past.

Ciao

I've been doing some homework on the Malta story, apparently there are other accounts in various places of similar creatures being seen by, and even attacking mine workers it seems. Creepier and creepier, eh? ohmy.gif

Could you please provide some links to this info you have found?

Could you please provide some links to this info you have found?

Hey Columbo, I wouldn't particularly call some of the things I've read about the related topics as reliable, even though they are still interesting in an entertaining sense. There's videos on youtube of a Phil Schneider and his supposed underground battle with grey aliens. Then there's also accounts of giant skeletons being found in miscellaneous caves and caverns in the western united states. So, it's kind of similar, but I would take it all with a grain of salt as there's not really any substantial evidence or proof of anything. :lol:

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

Hey Columbo, I wouldn't particularly call some of the things I've read about the related topics as reliable, even though they are still interesting in an entertaining sense. There's videos on youtube of a Phil Schneider and his supposed underground battle with grey aliens. Then there's also accounts of giant skeletons being found in miscellaneous caves and caverns in the western united states. So, it's kind of similar, but I would take it all with a grain of salt as there's not really any substantial evidence or proof of anything. :lol:

I can't believe Phil Schneider when he says Billy Meier is a real contactee.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hypogeum and old tunnels are mostly closed off to the general public supposedly for our safety - went once to the hypogeum and all I remember is a big cave, with cordoned off interesting looking tunnels - and an irate guide shouting at me, when I slipped off to explore (sob got me a week of punishment at school for my bravado 17-19 yrs ago).

Okay, you want a somewhat far-out theory? Not saying I endorse it or it's what I think happened here, but it's something that popped into my mind.

Humans first showed up on Malta in around 5200BC. Numerous megalithic sites were constructed by this culture, generally believed to be related to the Iberians. Now, here's the odd part: around 2500BC, this megalithic civilization disappears. Whether they were wiped out by Bronze Age invaders, or assimilated, nobody knows. But what if neither of these possibilities is what happened? We know the Hypogeum goes deep, and it's partially built from naturally-occurring caves in the soft limestone of the island. What if the megalithic society weren't destroyed at all, but retreated into their subterranean labyrinths?