Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious headless marine animal washes

Still Waters

Neither local residents Warrick Lovell, Rich Park, Basil Park, or anyone else it seems, knows what the big creature found dead on a beach here this week might be.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans in Corner Brook intends to check out the Lower Cove site today hoping to find some answers for the question of many curious onlookers who went there to see for themselves what Lovell found during a Wednesday afternoon walk on the beach.

“It would be nice to see if anyone knows what it is,” says Lovell. “First I thought it was a seal washed up (on the high tide earlier in the day), but when I went down to check on my boat that evening, I walked over to see and then I knew it wasn’t a seal.

“But, I don’t know what it is.”

Of unknown origin and species, so far, the odd-looking seaside carcass sits high and dry on the low tide, its approximately 15-foot length includes a pointed, 10-foot tail twisted in the sand, conjuring up Loch Ness monsters for some.

The animal, bearing a single flipper-like appendage on its right side, appears to have been decapitated and shows other signs of damage.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Why is everyone's first reaction to poke it with a stick?

I personally have no idea. Interested in hearing the diagnosis on this one.

Unknown species? I thought they were all discovered by now. Perhaps this creature was just born differently? Would really like to keep myself updated on this one.

Fortunately, the truth is only a DNA test away.

If the "master scientists" from Monster Quest do the DNA test then I am sure it will be "inconclusive" :rofl:

Not to sure from looking at that photo, how you could make heads(no pun intended) or tails outta that, but that fact that it's missing a head makes it immediately unlucky, if nothing else...Unless it was unhappily married.

there will probably always be unknown species :)

there will probably always be unknown species :)

Yes, but they will tend to be small. This will likely prove to be a known animal.

Edited by sinewave

Yes, but they will tend to be small. This will likely prove to be a known animal.

what if its not though? i dont think most people on here could handle it if that was a real cryptid.

Fortunately, the truth is only a DNA test away.

Unfortunately a lot of people are not interested in the truth because it's not as exciting.

The fact that it's headless could imply it got caught in fishing gear and cut out, happens all to often, some comments on the article suggested a rotting 7 gill shark and think that that's a lot more likely than an unknown monster....

• Like 1

what if its not though? i dont think most people on here could handle it if that was a real cryptid.

couldnt handle it? Why would we be on this forum if we weren't hoping a cryptid is found someday?

Cryptids by definition are undocumented species but not all undocumented species are cryptids.

couldnt handle it? Why would we be on this forum if we weren't hoping a cryptid is found someday?

you'd think so wouldnt u, but it seems there is a small group on here that go around shouting down any new discoveries, they make it harder for true believers like us.

you'd think so wouldnt u, but it seems there is a small group on here that go around shouting down any new discoveries, they make it harder for true believers like us.

This is simply because most, if not all, "new discoveries" are overhyped and can be debunked with five minutes of googling.

It makes it harder for true believers like you to do what exactly? I am not aware of anyone arguing with the discovery of new species let alone shouting them down. The fact is new species are being discovered all of the time. It has been the nature of zoology since the beginning.

unexplained mysteries? more like every mystery has been explained so dont bother asking :angry2:

It sounds like you are more interested in being entertained than enlightened.

It sounds like you are more interested in being entertained than enlightened.

believe me, i beleive nothing 100% without independent evidence, but I am more on the side of believeng than skeptic

believe me, i beleive nothing 100% without independent evidence, but I am more on the side of believeng than skeptic

you sure could have fooled us, with these posts youve been making (and the ones on other threads as well).

you sure could have fooled us, with these posts youve been making (and the ones on other threads as well).

if u look at my vampire theory, it actually makes a lot of sense, to anyone with common sense, there has to be some truth to the legends.

if u look at my vampire theory, it actually makes a lot of sense, to anyone with common sense, there has to be some truth to the legends.

I thought to anyone with common sense it was just ignorance of the decay process coupled with superstition. But hey, I am more a skeptic than believer.

I thought to anyone with common sense it was just ignorance of the decay process coupled with superstition. But hey, I am more a skeptic than believer.

i would start a new thread for it but theres about 100 vampire threads on here already. Basically i believe that vampires were a race of humans which lived underground, which explains why they were allergic to sunlight and pale. Now every now and then they had to come above ground to feed, which may have looked like they were coming out of graves. Why they evolved underground i have yet to work out, but am sure it will come to me in time. Obviously, once they were dead there was no evidence of them, as they would just look like any other human skeleton. Wouldn't you rather they were real than made up?