Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jigsaw Mystery

theurbanlegendsguy

There was an old lady who lived on her own in a very foggy part of Dart moor. She had lived alone for fifteen years, ever since her husband had died in a mysterious car accident. However, the car accident is not my present purpose on which to dwell. You see, this old lady had a passion for jigsaw puzzles, it probably came with the stigma of being alone for she had no family or friends and lived in a very secluded spot. Every night she would sit at her dining room table and work on her current jigsaw puzzle until it was finished, then she would start a new one.

However, there came a night, a rugged, windy, stormy winter night when she ran out of jigsaw puzzles. She was extremely upset as she had nothing else to do (this was in the days before TV and her radio had no signal in so removed a place). She was just thinking of going up to bed earlier than usual when she heard a thud, as if something had fallen onto the mat from the mail flap.

Intrigued, the old lady hobbled downstairs to find a rectangular parcel had been put through the door and now lay, invitingly, on the mat. She picked it up, carried it upstairs to her dining table and opened it to reveal a new jigsaw puzzle! It had no picture of what it made up on the front but the old lady didn’t care. Neither did she care who had sent it, she was just so happy to have another puzzle to do.

It took her about an hour to complete it but as she began the get the entire picture her consternation grew for she saw that the picture being made up was that of the very room in which she now sat. Then, she gasped, for she realized that the woman sitting at the table in the picture with her back to the window was a picture of her. Her fingers trembled as she placed the last four pieces of the puzzle to reveal a picture of a crazed madman at the window staring into the room, holding an axe.

The last thing that old lady ever heard was the sound of breaking glass…

• Like 2

As with all stories that end in "The last thing they heard/saw was..." how would the story teller know? :huh:

• Like 3

Sounds like a scarey camp fire storey for the girl guides.

• Like 1

As with all stories that end in "The last thing they heard/saw was..." how would the story teller know? :huh:

Easy, the storyteller is the one who committed the crime. lol :P

• Like 4

-Applaudes- good answer :P Although it would be a bit of a give away, and not a slip up you'd want to make if they take you in for questioning :lol:

• Like 1

Nice Story...with a twist at the end.

• Like 1

Creepy! Reminds me of a UL I heard a while ago. Same sort of thing but with a crossword puzzle and all the clues were about local murders and weird goings on and the last clue was who's next? And the answer was her name. These types of story always make me think who passed the story on its either a very proud and stupid murderer or a very cowardly witness with no morals lol

• Like 1

delightfully creepy!! i rather enjoy how the madman took the time to have a puzzle made depicting the scenario and how, assuming he did not make it himself, no one turned him in ^.^

but seriously, thats creepy as hell.

• Like 1

I remember reading a story like this in fifth grade. Only the woman (who was younger) bought the puzzle at a mysterious antique store, instead of having it mysteriously delivered to her.

• Like 1

Did the mysterious antique store just disappear after she walked out? :P

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

This ul for some reason reminds me of my grandma. For about 18- 20 years she lived by herself after my grandpa died. Many of those years, she lived in this big old farmhouse and there weren't really any neighbors that were really close by. Eventually, she moved to a smaller house with neighbors that were closer by, but she still lived on her own for a few years. She liked to do puzzles and she would stay up till 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning because she was use to doing that. So I put put my grandma in the place of the the old lady. It freaked me out.

• Like 1