Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Expert: Australia like drug dealer of coal

Barnacle Battlefront

SYDNEY, March 4 (UPI) -- A climate scientist often referred to as the "godfather of climate change" said Australia's massive coal exports are almost equivalent to being a drug dealer to the world.

In kicking off his visit to Australia for a series of lectures on nuclear energy, James Hansen, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, had a message for the world's largest exporter of coal: Phase it out.

Australia exported about 60 percent of its coal production in 2008 -- about 268.5 million tons -- accounting for 25 percent of global coal exports.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• Karlis

• Barnacle Battlefront

• stevewinn

In that case ^ I would think that this same James Hansen, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, should have the same message for the world's largest exporter/s of oil: Phase it out. Now that would solve all environmental problems: Factories would have no fuel sources for building motor vehicles, and motor vehicles would have no fuel.

Way to go, right? :rofl:

Karlis

Charming analogy.

He fails to mention Australia is currently undergoing a massive push toward clean energy. Green buildings, and mainly solar. It is a boom industry at he moment. That percentage would be fluctuating.

Edited by psyche101

in true Aussie style tell this plank where to go.

Not a fan of Coal generated energy, and as psyche briefly stated, Solar even Wind power seem the best way forward, don't mind Nuclear either, Aussies are in the top 3 exporters there also. But this dude (Hansen, NASA) sounds like an alarmist hypocrite. He's pro Nuclear energy but I wonder who'll have the monopoly on all that energy down the track(?)

Also, they seem to be 'monitoring' everybody else but their own?

"A single shuttle launch spews 28 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere alone! But that's a mere burp compared to the glut of pollution that gets dumped on and near the Kennedy Space center post-blastoff. 23 tons of harmful particulate matter settle around the launch area each liftoff, and nearly 13 tons of hydrochloric acid kill fish and plants within half a mile of the site ... the environmental cost per launch is the same as that of New York City over a weekend ..." NASA pollution is out of this world

And all for what, so we can have pretty wallpaper images for our PCs lol!

Charming analogy.

He fails to mention Australia is currently undergoing a massive push toward clean energy. Green buildings, and mainly solar. It is a boom industry at he moment. That percentage would be fluctuating.

I saw an interview with Kevin Rudd not that long ago about this.....he was saying that with us up there as one of the worst offenders....we couldn't possible expect any other country to follow suit and make changes unless we ourselves made positive steps and actually make changes...........

I saw an interview with Kevin Rudd not that long ago about this.....he was saying that with us up there as one of the worst offenders....we couldn't possible expect any other country to follow suit and make changes unless we ourselves made positive steps and actually make changes...........

I have heard him say this, but Rudd is just a media turkey.

Country	
Total Emissions
(Million metric tons of CO2)

Per Capita Emissions
(Tons/capita)

1.	China	6017.69	4.58
2.	United States	5902.75	19.78
3.	Russia	1704.36	12.00
4.	India	1293.17	1.16
5.	Japan	1246.76	9.78
6.	Germany	857.60	10.40
7.	Canada	614.33	18.81
8.	United Kingdom	585.71	9.66
9.	South Korea	514.53	10.53
10.	Iran	471.48	7.25
11.	Italy	468.19	8.05
12.	South Africa	443.58	10.04
13.	Mexico	435.60	4.05
14.	Saudi Arabia	424.08	15.70
15.	France	417.75	6.60
16.	Australia	417.06	20.58
17.	Brazil	377.24	2.01
18.	Spain	372.61	9.22
19.	Ukraine	328.72	7.05
20.	Poland	303.42	7.87

As you can see, Oz is way down on the contributors list, I would like to see his explanation on how we are a top offender considering this list. Why would the US, China, Japan, Germany or the UK see us as a model to follow? Looking at our culture, Harleys, Anime/Manga, Rap, it seems we follow them? Rudd has it all **** about as usual.

Not a fan of Coal generated energy, and as psyche briefly stated, Solar even Wind power seem the best way forward, don't mind Nuclear either, Aussies are in the top 3 exporters there also. But this dude (Hansen, NASA) sounds like an alarmist hypocrite. He's pro Nuclear energy but I wonder who'll have the monopoly on all that energy down the track(?)

Also, they seem to be 'monitoring' everybody else but their own?

"A single shuttle launch spews 28 tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere alone! But that's a mere burp compared to the glut of pollution that gets dumped on and near the Kennedy Space center post-blastoff. 23 tons of harmful particulate matter settle around the launch area each liftoff, and nearly 13 tons of hydrochloric acid kill fish and plants within half a mile of the site ... the environmental cost per launch is the same as that of New York City over a weekend ..." NASA pollution is out of this world

And all for what, so we can have pretty wallpaper images for our PCs lol!

I don't mind Nuclear either, but the average Aussie seems dead set against it, going from personal experience. Everyone here seems to think all Nuclear plants are destined to end up as Chernobyl did. It would be good if the Government could get some education on the process happening.

I have heard him say this, but Rudd is just a media turkey.

Country	
Total [b]Emissions[/b]
(Million metric tons of CO2)

Per Capita Emissions
(Tons/capita)

1.	China	6017.69	4.58
2.	United States	5902.75	19.78
~~~
16.     Australia       417.06  20.58

As you can see, Oz is way down on the contributors list, I would like to see his explanation on how we are a top offender considering this list. Why would the US, China, Japan, Germany or the UK see us as a model to follow? Looking at our culture, Harleys, Anime/Manga, Rap, it seems we follow them? Rudd has it all **** about as usual.

Hi Psyche, I agree with you concerning the views of our PM, but in the OP article Oz was being castigated for being the major exporter of coal' not about our CO2 emmissions.
SYDNEY, March 4 (UPI) -- A climate scientist often referred to as the "godfather of climate change" said Australia's massive coal exports are almost equivalent to being a drug dealer to the world.

Just trying to stay on topic, but you are 100% spot on, :tu:

Karlis

Hi Psyche, I agree with you concerning the views of our PM, but in the OP article Oz was being castigated for being the major exporter of coal' not about our CO2 emmissions.

I am with you :tu:

I believe Cluey was referring to our CO2 emissions, she stated exactly the same in the Tony Abbot/Tree Planting thread. I am assuming she was referring to the end result, but you are indeed 100% correct :tu:

If not, sorry Cluey.

Just trying to stay on topic, but you are 100% spot on, :tu:

Karlis

Agreed, it is the end result of burning Coal I guess that is he real problem, so we are sorta in the guidelines. Ever seen Robin Williams take on it all? Absolute classic.

6) The US / UK / Australia will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

Edited by psyche101