Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange sea phenomenon in Aigina island

innerverse

A strange and worrying sea phenomenon took place yesterday morning at the port of Aigina island in Greece. At 11:00 a.m. the sea level started rising gradually until it covered the port and the roads adjacent to it. The phenomenon continued for nearly three hours. Another strange event was the fish that started to reach the surface of the sea as if they wanted to breathe....

troktiko.blogspot.com

Here is a video on youtube with the whole event:

I think this is the first time that i see something like this. What could be the cause of such an event? Can it be harmless?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• innerverse

• Mattshark

• Stormcrow

• Talion

The effect of a spring tide probably, rare in the Med, but they can happen.

We have mysterious rouge waves, multiple 6.8-8.8 seaquakes and now this phenomonemum happening. Something strange is happening too our oceans and I dont think anyones connecting any dots yet. And if someone has there keeping very mum about it. :mellow:

Edited by Talion

Is there any possibility that it may be related with tectonic / seismic activity? unsure.gif

Possibly... But I don't know. On Sunday there was a small quake in Crete. About two hours ago there was a 6.5 off of Sumatra. It might be worth keeping an eye on, never know.

I would also guess it could be trapped gas being released like whats been therorized in the bermuda triangle as a possible ship sinking phenom.

Really depends on the lenght of time and levels that have risen and subsided.

Possibly... But I don't know. On Sunday there was a small quake in Crete. About two hours ago there was a 6.5 off of Sumatra. It might be worth keeping an eye on, never know.

Sumatra won't affect the Med.

It is just spring tide with some rough sea's atop of it.

Edited by Mattshark

It is just spring tide.

I know. :lol: But I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

Is there any possibility that it may be related with tectonic / seismic activity? unsure.gif

That's my bet!

The fish were kinda freaky!

Edited by Spectre1979

We got a little "shake" now...don't know where was the epicenter was or the magnitude (somewhere between 4.3 to 4.6 or something i would guess)...not a strong one probably, though it was enough to wake me up and shake the room a bit...i hate quakes... ph34r.gifhmm.gif

Edited by innerverse

It was 4.3 M (i should had become a seismologist rolleyes.gif ) with the epicenter north from Evoia (60-70 km away from athens i would guess). This was the second one thought, half an hour before that there was a 4 M one. I hope this one was the major one.

Edited by innerverse

It is just spring tide with some rough sea's atop of it.

Tides don't cause fish to rise and breathe on the surface though. Plus this exact same event happened to Pratas - Greece, a week beforehand. And 24 hours ago, Pratas experienced a 5.0 earthquake directly after Turkeys. You even said yourself, spring tides are extremely rare, especially in the Med.

This is a very interesting event because nothing can explain this without cancelling out the other. For example, if a tide is to blame, what caused the fish to rise to the surface as if they're suffocating? If a ocean overturn (loss of oxygen in the depths) is to blame, what caused the water to rise an exponential height?

It isn't gas because we don't see any dead fish floating on the surface either. I'm stumped tbh.

Edited by Xiphos

Tides don't cause fish to rise and breathe on the surface though. Plus this exact same event happened to Pratas - Greece, a week beforehand. And 24 hours ago, Pratas experienced a 5.0 earthquake directly after Turkeys. You even said yourself, spring tides are extremely rare, especially in the Med.

This is a very interesting event because nothing can explain this without cancelling out the other. For example, if a tide is to blame, what caused the fish to rise to the surface as if they're suffocating? If a ocean overturn (loss of oxygen in the depths) is to blame, what caused the water to rise an exponential height?

It isn't gas because we don't see any dead fish floating on the surface either. I'm stumped tbh.

Could be a mix of the two. The Med is well known for its level of pollution, which could lead to oxygenation problems.

Mattshark thanks for your replies. It seems that many other ports and coast-line areas experienced the same phenomenon as Aigina, all in the perimeter of Attiki, Athens. This is taken from Glyfada, Αthens (scroll down the page for the video - the speed is doubled to show the phenomenon clearly):zougla.grWe have seismic activity in the Corinthian golf (southwest of Athens) as well as North Evoia (northeast of Athens). Could this be related? Also, residents in villages of Evoia that live near the epicenter are complaining that they can smell sulphur in the air...

Smell of sulphur in the air? Like before the volcano eruptions?

There are no volcanoes in that area, I sincerely hope you won’t suddenly get one.