Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A few interesting Bible facts...

Nxt2Hvn

Here's an intersting fact -

The word "Hasmal" (Hebrew) appears only twice in the bible, when Yechzkel describes what he sees when God appears to him. It is unknown what the biblical prophet actually meant by that word, but in Modern Hebrew the word means "Electricity".

user posted image

27: For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

• 3 months later...
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived:

neither fornicators, nor idolaters,......

Uh oh, people who have sex cant go to heaven. wink2.gif

That is the most peculiar bible verse I have ever read.

The Bible was written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek.

Just to point out that Koine Greek does not exist , what you meant is Koina Greek perhaps. Koina = common .... so common Greek. wink2.gif

As for the subject..... for me the Bible has truths but still was subject to a lot of addtions and biased interpetation. Like most historic and mythological texts, actual events are being used as frame before additional fictional elements are added for flavour.

Bon apetit !!! thumbsup.gif

konie is the proper term for common greek. the local liberal arts college has a couple of classes in 'konie' greek.

well now i have to add something more on topic i guess.

Man, you have no idea. The bible talks about everything. It even has great techniques on how to diet.
and relationship advice, buried in all that confusing symbolism and poetry of song of solomon.

sorry for the double post but this i found was rather interesting.

according to origen and some other sources, the first name of barabbas, the robber released by pilate instead of jesus, was jesus.

must have been a confusing trial.

according to origen and some other sources, the first name of barabbas, the robber released by pilate instead of jesus, was jesus.

Especially since the rest of his name translates "Son of the Father"..... wacko.gif

• 7 years later...

Fact. 1.The bible has been rewritten and eddited over 100 times. 2. All religions are designed to have a social function to help people behave correctly. This backfired a looooooooong loooong time ago causing more harm than good.

Fact. 1.The bible has been rewritten and eddited over 100 times. 2. All religions are designed to have a social function to help people behave correctly. This backfired a looooooooong loooong time ago causing more harm than good.

Hello Anal probe! ( I thought that I will never say that in my life)

religion defently didnt cause more harm then good. I can mention some Atheist states that were like hell.

Greatest work of fiction ever written.

Nope, that's Dune by Frank Herbert.

• Like 1

QUOTE actually, i do beleive islam is the largest populated religion in the world right now, and still growing.

The last time i checked, christianity is the world's largest, but islam is the world's fastest growing major religion (smaller religions usualy grows even faster)

Islam is the fastest growing major religion in the world... you are correct.. followed by paganism and low and behold.. Jedi..

Where did you get your information? As a long time student of history and archaeology I would have to see it to believe it. Everything that you have stated is either false or shaded to the false. There were several great flood in mesopotamia, of the Euphrates and the Tigiris - hardly world wide, no where in any egyptian document that I have heard of is there a mention of Joseph, Moses, plagues, Isrealites, or any of the mythology in the bible....Your legend about a man like Abraham was probably in reference to Gilgamesh. He was actually a King of Babylon, who had a story written about him - He was an actual person, Abraham probably wasn't. I await edification with your sources and I hope it isn't from some biased website like answersingenesis or the ICR.

I though the Noah story was the Epic of Gilgamesh.. not Abraham..

I don't think you'll get answers to your posts Dingo. The posters you quoted, last posted on this board 8 years and 5 years ago respectively.

LOL sensible.. you know.. I never looked at the time stamp .. was to busy reading LOL

And did you know? The word "Jesus" (where it means Christ) occurs exactly 888 times in the new Testament.

• 6 months later...

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived:

neither fornicators, nor idolaters,......

Uh oh, people who have sex cant go to heaven. wink2.gif

That is the most peculiar bible verse I have ever read.

sex is not fornication, if its with your married partner. The Bible also says to "keep the marriage bed undefiled".

QUOTE (paradigm_blue @ Jun 26 2004, 05:36 AM) Proof of divine inspiration? I certainly think so. Merely a morale book..well that's left up to the reader but I personally don't think so. I ask the question, is it the only religious book that stacks up with modern science? Before you answer that one, let's do our homework and not throw in the usual debate about evolution. Cause evolution has been proven to be a false science. There is nothing simple about a single celled organsim.

paradigm blue, this thread is simply about Bible "FACTS," interesting little tidbits. Nothing scientific or religeous.

Please lets not turn this into a flame war that will eventually get closed. There are other threads for the science/religeon debate.

I agree....lets be decent here..If someone doesnt believe the Bible anyway...pleas dont waste your time trying to get the rest of us persuaded to follow you.

Newbern, welcome to the forums! :)

You're quoting people from 8 years ago. They're not going to respond.

I agree....lets be decent here..If someone doesnt believe the Bible anyway...pleas dont waste your time trying to get the rest of us persuaded to follow you.

Then be expected to do the same thing and accept that some of us believe that the bible is just a moral guide book at best, instead of the ultimate truth.

• Like 1

Jesus was solid flesh and blood seen by thousands including the Roman garrison, so to dismiss him as a "myth" seems a bit harsh.

In scientific terms he was an alien visitor-

He said "I am not of this world" (John 8:23)....."I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going" (John 8:14)......"I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (Matt 13:35,

so isn't it a bit illogical of us not to at least listen to what he has to say?

Hey Spock would you listen to him?

"Affirmative, I'm all ears"

Spock-vwj.jpg

Jesus was solid flesh and blood seen by thousands including the Roman garrison, so to dismiss him as a "myth" seems a bit harsh.

The only reference to Jesus is in the Bible. Were he real, other documentation would exist to support what is written in the Bible and without them he can not be said to have existed.

In scientific terms he was an alien visitor-

He said "I am not of this world" (John 8:23)....."I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going" (John 8:14)......"I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (Matt 13:35,

so isn't it a bit illogical of us not to at least listen to what he has to say?

Hey Spock would you listen to him?

"Affirmative, I'm all ears"

With the lack of corroborating evidence he would be, in scientific terms, someone whose existence has not been proven.

Spock would say "You hold in your hands a book with accounts of a person called Jesus, yet there is nothing to substantiate what is written. It would not be logical to presume the existence of Jesus on that document alone"

• Like 1

So where are these thousands of accounts?

Matthew 27:52-53 says dead saints rose from their graves and appeared to many. Strange no one else bothered to record it.

Not everything a book says is true.

So where are these thousands of accounts?

Matthew 27:52-53 says dead saints rose from their graves and appeared to many. Strange no one else bothered to record it.

Not everything a book says is true.

Crikey may be referring to Tacitus.

may or may not BS, but where is the proof? We ask for proof in everything else, Where is your proof?

I can produce numetouks folks that will swear that there Re aliens fromrhe moon that are here right this minute, so where is your proof?