Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The witch of the Joshua Ward House

UM-Bot

Matt Forde: The town of Salem, Massachusetts is no stranger to macabre record and disturbing legends, but for the first time perhaps something belonging to the town’s supernatural facet has been caught on camera.

The Joshua Ward House has stood in mute witness to a dark history. The Georgian/Federal style building was constructed by Joshua Ward, a wealthy merchant sea captain, in the late 1780s on the remaining foundations of former sheriff George Corwin’s house on Washington Street. Corwin was a bloody figure whose zeal added to the unfortunate events surrounding Salem in the late 1600s. Nicknamed ‘The Strangler’ after his preferred torture modus operandi (which included tying his prone victims’ necks to their ankles until the blood ran from their noses), he is said to be responsible for many of the ‘witches’ deaths, including that of Giles Corey, a man who stood accused of witchcraft who Corey crushed to death by placing heavy stones on his chest in order to extract a confession (and, it must be said, to seize his property). Despite the horrific treatment Corey never confessed, indeed he is said to have implored his torturers to pile on more rocks and hasten his departure.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paraweird

• UM-Bot

• Welsh Shaun

• brlesq1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fantastic read!

I did a quick google search and found the attached pic from slightlywarped.com. No idea if it is a copy of the polaroid in question though.

Still, looks quite weird.

post-75432-126821811977_thumb.jpg

Fantastic read!

I did a quick google search and found the attached pic from slightlywarped.com. No idea if it is a copy of the polaroid in question though.

Still, looks quite weird.

It looks like a blurred photo of a woman stood infront of a laurel wreath

Thanx for finding the photo

Edited by Welsh Shaun

It looks like a blurred photo of a woman stood infront of a laurel wreath

Thanx for finding the photo

You're right - it does! Shame it's far from a sharp image, too. Though, with what has gone on in that house, it's quite easy to imagine that something lurks there. Not sure I'd like to walk around there alone at night, or during the day.

And no probs.

This is idiotic.

"He cursed them, see? Every sheriff since has died or quit due to health reasons!"

Aging truly is a monstrous curse upon us all.

Does look kinda like Diana Ross...

A creepier version with the same hairstylist to say the least. I got goosebumps when I saw the photo.

Goosebumps? Looks like she stuck her finger in an electrical socket....oh wait, that IS the same hairstylist.

• 3 weeks later...

Was there a link to the photo? I had to Google it because I couldn't find one. Either way, I didn't expect it to be so clear.. although it's not surprising considering what has been caught since the camera was invented.

• 2 months later...

If that's real, that apparition really was desperate to get their photo taken. I thought they'd use a colour polaroid camera too? I thought it strange that it was black and white, but who knows.