Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Invisibility cloak created in 3-D [Merged]

Still Waters

Scientists have created the first device to render an object invisible in three dimensions.

The "cloak", described in the journal Science, hid an object from detection using light of wavelengths close to those that are visible to humans.

Previous devices have been able to hide objects from light travelling in only one direction; viewed from any other angle, the object would remain visible.

This is a very early but significant step towards true invisibility cloaks.

Tolga Ergin, a scientist from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany led the study.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaoszerg

• Still Waters

• Moon Minion

• Samuronin

To all the beautiful ladies of UM, im coming to a locker room near you. Now just to steal it and use it.

To all the beautiful ladies of UM, im coming to a locker room near you. Now just to steal it and use it.

I'll fight ya for it LOL That reminds of the scene in the movie Spies like us when they are fighting for the binoculars LOL

I'll fight ya for it

Your my mate and I promise I will kill you as painlessly as possible, no one is taking my chance to perv on sexy ladies away lol

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/odd/6954681/scientists-hide-gold-with-3d-invisibility-cloak/

Scientists hide gold with 3D "invisibility cloak"

LONDON (Reuters) - German scientists have created a three-dimensional "invisibility cloak" that can hide objects by bending light waves.

The findings, published in the journal Science on Thursday, could in the future make it possible to make large objects invisible, but for now the researchers said they were not keen to speculate on possible applications.

"For now these...cloaking devices are just a beautiful and exciting benchmark to show what transformation optics can do," said Tolga Ergin of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.

Transformation optics use a class of materials called metamaterials that guide and control light.

In their study, Ergin and his colleagues used photonic crystals with a structure that looks like piles of wood to make an invisibility device, or cloak.

They used the cloak to conceal a small bump on a gold surface -- a bit like hiding a small object underneath a carpet and then making both the bump and the carpet invisible.

Edited by Still Waters
Quoted text shortened

lmao :tu: ...don't forget the camera

You know, I thought this was pretty neat until I saw the peeping toms commenting here! haha, Stay away from my locker room! :P

Your my mate and I promise I will kill you as painlessly as possible, no one is taking my chance to perv on sexy ladies away lol

and quote from article:

He added: "We won't have a body-sized invisibility cloak tomorrow but this has demonstrated a remarkable proof of principle."

sorry. doesnt sound like either of you will be able to fully hide in the ladies locker room. maybe you can invisiblify just a small part of yourself. lol maybe try hiding that raging boner so they wont be quite so offended when they see you standing there gawking? idk, unless your a leprechaun i dont think they'll have a cloak big enough for ya

Sorry to break it to these scientists, but Predator has had one of these for like 3 years.

But Professor Hess said that this was a great achievement and these photonic materials could be used in the development of lenses and in light storage and optical circuitry.

and for military purpose

Yeah I saw something on the development of this tech a while back as well. From my understanding, all they can do is pretty much make a microscopic bump not look so raised. I think it's quite a ways away from being able to have the ability to even hide the tip of your finger, let alone your whole body.

So if the cloak were to bend light around the subject, it would be impossible for them to see while invisible. An additional sort of "invisibility goggles" would have to be invented as well in order to let a small amount of light through. Otherwise a person wearing it would need eye-holes and just look like a pair of eyes floating around.

Additionally, the suit would have to be constantly clean and used only in dust-free dry environments, otherwise a thin film would appear on the surface making the figure look like a ghost. While it would be difficult to spot someone using the cloak, countermeasures based on infrared could be set up at installations that sprayed glowing or glittering dust on anyone who tripped an infrared detector. Since heat emanates from the human body, subjects within the invisibility suit would likely show up on infrared.

Additionally, an invisibility cloak user's gloves and boots would be the most visible things, as they would track in dust and particles from the environment. The eventual system would only be 100% effective in environments which were enclosed and free of floating particles.

To get around this, microscopic vacuum pumps working on silent might be able to channel some particles around the cloak just as light is channeled while a thermal suit could make the subject less likely to trip infrared. There has been research that certain types of robot can operate without giving off recognizable heat signatures, but I can't remember what they called them. Additionally, a robot could have the "cloak" installed in its protective shell rather than a fabric-like material.

The best/worst part of invisibility cloaks? A nation would only have to have one and say it's deployed, and it's the perfect tool of psychological warfare to inspire anxiety and paranoia.

Whoa, watch out for perverts!! :lol:

Just imagine all the mischief making one could accumulate. :devil:

But you wouldn't catch me checking out the hunks in the locker room... :whistle:

Besides, I'd probably give myself away with all the uncontrollable giggles. Pity. <_<

This could be the item that gives the most money to a spy or double agent in history...lol ;)

Well its nice to see that there is SOMETHING finally invented that will NOT be used for any deceiptful purpose such as assassinations, theft ...etc. :tu:

Edited by Universal Sight