Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Debate Staff Needed

Saru

For the new debate board season I am looking for 4 volunteers to help out with the debate organising and judging. Please only volunteer if you are serious about trying this, and have an interest in the debates.

I'm looking for 3 Debate Judges ( Taken ) and 1 Debate Organiser ( Taken )

The debate judges will be responsible for rating a debate once it has finished, you can both participate in debates and be a debate judge, however you can not judge a debate that you yourself have participated in.

The debate organiser will be required to help keep the debates board running smoothly, and will have moderator status in the debates board only. The organiser will help to post new debates for people to join, contact debaters who have disappeared in the middle of an existing debate, close completed debates and deal with people posting in debate threads of which they are not a participant. Note that debate organisers will not normally be able to participate in debates, except in special circumstances.

If you are interested in volunteering for either of these positions, please let me know either via private message or by sending me a private message. I cannot guarantee that if you do volunteer you will be accepted for the job, especially since there will likely be quite a few people volunteering.

Once these positions are filled, the new debates season can begin. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• reese2

• saucy

• cma

Top Posters In This Topic

Id like to be a judge. I will take it seriously. cool.gif

The Nameless One

I'm already a debate organizer and would like to continue the job if permitted. If you would like someone else to do this, that's fine. I think I did a good enough job last time to get re-elected. Just let me know

Edited by saucy

I'd be happy for you to continue as a debate organiser Saucy, I'm actually looking to have two debate organisers this time around, which is why i'm advertising for someone else aswell in this thread.

thumbsup.gif

Cool. I suggest last season's champion Universal Absurdity.

You might want to actually change your first post then Saruman that says there will be only one debate organizer

Edited by saucy

UniversalAbdsurdity would be welcome to give it a shot, but he might not want to do it since it would mean he wouldn't be able to participate in any debates himself.

you're already in just by saying you would like to be. Lottie, I would let you be organizer, but it's Saruman's say. Since you were the second volunteer, you've probably made it! Yay! grin2.gif

Have a look through some of the debates in the archive to see who on the forum has been involved in debates, then message someone you'd like to debate with.

Alternatively, once the debate organisers and judges have been sorted out we will be posting up a number of debates that you can participate in as well.

I'd Happily Become An Orginiser of debates , I have some Idea's on how to keep it competitive.

Anyway let me know thumbsup.gif

Thanks to everyone who has expressed an interest in being a debate organiser, the position has now been filled.

The debate organisers will be Scar and Saucy

Scar has been involved in some of the debates in the last season, and i've also discussed it all with him beforehand.

Lottie i'm sorry you didn't get to try your hand at the job sad.gif

Would you like to have a go at judging the debates ?

Could I be a judge and still participate?

on second thought maybe that might not be such a good idea. if i get slammed in a debate i might make judging personal. which would be bad.

I think this time around i'll just participate. Next time however sign me up first to be a judge.

Too bad scar is an organizer, i was looking forward to another hubble scale debate laugh.gif

I eagerly look forward to the start of the new debates

Thanks Celti for bringing this to my attention, and I would like to be considered as a Debate Judge...

That said, I'd like to know more details about how it works and what criteria will be used to evaluate the debates, etc...

original.gif

Go ahead and put me down for a judge position, that should be fun... I like reading the debates thus far..

Let me know, also, how that will be working.....

Reese

Edited by reese2

Guest Lottie

No probs Saruman sad.giforiginal.gif

Would you like to have a go at judging the debates ?

Okay that would be cool!

Lottie original.gif

Edited by Lottie

If all the debate judge positions aren't all filled, I would like to be considered for the job. Or, if they are filled, if you ever need a fill-in for some reason or another I would like to do that as well. original.gif I don't want to participate in the debates, but I would like to participate in this debate board.

Edited by MoonBaby

Can one be a judge and participate?

I feel i've shown my worth in the debates, and would love to be a Judge or any other term of staff for the debates, but only as long as i can still participate.

Can one be a judge and participate?

Yes, but you wouldn't be allowed to judge your own debates.

That said, I'd like to know more details about how it works and what criteria will be used to evaluate the debates, etc..

Each judge will need to rate each debate participant by giving them a mark out of 10 for each of four areas,

• Relevancy to the topic
  • Countering oponent's arguements
  • Style
  • Persuasiveness

Those points are then added up for each participant to get a score out of 40. That score is then combined with the other judge's scores and the average taken to get a final mark. The participant with the highest mark is the winner.

Each judge will need to rate each debate participant by giving them a mark out of 10 for each of four areas,

Relevancy to the topic

Countering oponent's arguements

Style

Persuasiveness

Sounds good, I would still like to be a judge...

When will you be picking the judges???

Reese

Edited by reese2

I'll be picking the judges tomorrow. wink2.gif

Can i also ask everyone who has expressed an interest in judging but weren't sure yet without more details, to confirm whether or not they'd like to try it now that i've posted more information on what it involves.

Thanks thumbsup.gif

I would like to try my hand at judging now that I know I can still participate. I can be impartial as long as I'm not involved in the debate I'm judging..

I like that criteria. I am indeed interested knowing what is involved. Show me where to sign! thumbsup.gif

Edited by BurnSide