Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Major Donald Keyhoe's UFO Archives.

karl 12

Very interesting free E-book on the UFO subject dedicated to Major Donald Keyhoe:

TO:

MAJOR DONALD E. KEYHOE, USMC (Ret.):

FOR HIS SINCERE AND TIRELESS EFFORTS IN

ALERTING THE WORLD TO UFO PHENOMENA.

AND ENCOURAGING A RATIONAL INQUIRY

THE CHALLENGE OF UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS

PRESENTED IN A SERIES OF SEPARATE ARTICLES BY

Charles A. Maney, Board Member

And

Richard Hall, Secretary

9451e135b3ea.jpg

Accounts of phenomena popularly referred to as "flying saucers,” more dignifiedly labeled "unidentified flying objects" or UFOs, con­tinue to persist in the world news. The reports of these strange phenomena of the skies have been attracting public attention for thirteen years and there is apparently no let-up in sight. Although within a given region on earth long lulls between sightings have been noted, during such local lulls, other parts of the world have witnessed extra concentrations of sightings.

Table of Contents

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• skyeagle409

• booNyzarC

Yet more reading material! Again, thank you Karl.

On another note...

All these many months I've looked at that Video link in your signature and wondered what it was. I didn't click it until just now. I don't know why I waited to click it and watch, but I did.

Fantastic video. Thanks mate. :tu:

Fantastic video. Thanks mate. :tu:

Hey bud, Carl Sagan was a great chap and there's a thread here about the picture - certainly puts things into perspective. :)

Cheers.

The L, thanks for the reply and Donald also pops up towards the end of this clip discussing the ETH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwz5FgX7MRs

Cheers.

That video of the hovering saucer reminded me ot the saucer that was hovering over Wright-Patterson AFB. The film from an Air Force aircraft is shown here.

true3b.jpgMy Link

SkyEagle, thanks for the post mate and I've always wondered about those Wright-Patterson pics - do you know if the original footage ever turned up?

As for Major Keyhoe and UFOs, it's been claimed that Captain Ruppelt made some interesting comments to him about CIA debunking tactics:

Shortly thereafter every effort of the government went into debunking UFOs even if it would mean embarrassing its own people. It soon became known the best way to destroy your military career was to report a UFO.

Captain Edward J. Ruppelt, Chief of the Aerial Phenomena Branch at the Air Technical Intelligence Center, said that the CIA ordered the Air Force to debunk sightings and debunk witnesses. "We're ordered to hide sightings when possible," he told Major Keyhole, but if a strong report does get out we have to publish a fast explanation--make up something to kill the report in a hurry, and also ridicule the witness, especially if we can't figure out a plausible answer. even have to discredit our own pilots."

National Policy Of Debunking UFOs Began With The Robertson Panel

Cheers.

Guys I can't see anything!!! I don't want to be at work anymore. :angry:

• 2 months later...

Guys I can't see anything!!! I don't want to be at work anymore. :angry:

Hey Arenee, not to worry :) - here's some more info (and a great article) about Major Keyhoe's interview and subsequent censorship on the television programme ' Armstrong Circle':

On 22 January 1958, the popular CBS television show Armstrong Circle Theatre presented an entire programme dedicated to the subject of unidentified flying objects entitled: “UFO: Enigma of the Skies.” Among the high-profile experts invited to speak on the show, retired US Navy Major Donald Keyhoe – director of the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP) – was notable for his outspoken views on government secrecy surrounding the UFO phenomenon. Arguing against UFO reality on the programme were astronomer and vehement UFO sceptic Donald Menzel and Air Force representative Col. Spencer Whedon of the Air Technical Intelligence Center (ATIC). Their task should have been an easy one as the show’s content had been scripted in advance by CBS in conjunction with the US Air Force, and all guests – especially Keyhoe – had been instructed to read their preapproved material from a teleprompter.

When it came time for Keyhoe to speak, in frustration he veered from his script and stated to the nation: “And now I’m going to reveal something that has never been disclosed before...”1 The rest of his announcement went unheard by television viewers: unbeknownst to Keyhoe, his microphone had been cut by the station..

A History of Government Management of UFO Perceptions through Film and Television - pdf file

Cheers.

Hey karl, great info in this thread. I have to come back to it again because I somewhat skimmed through pieces, but I wanted to let you know about something I came across today while researching something else entirely.

This page has an audio archive including a radio program which aired right after the classic Keyhoe cutoff televised program. A description of the primary part:

Long John Nebel Program (Circa 1958)

Long before Art Bell, Long John Nebel owned the airwaves at night. Broadcasting from a studio in New York, his program often dealt with unusual subjects that were designed to attract the overnight audiance, and many times that meant UFOs were the subject of discussion.

On January 22, 1958 the Armstrong Circle Theatre created a controversy in the field of Ufology when the audio portion of the broadcast when Maj. Donald Keyhoe attempted to make a statement at the end of the show that had not been a part of the "approved" script. In addition to Maj. Keyhoe, the pilot who had helped to coin the phrase "Flying Saucer", Kenneth Arnold, had been scheduled to appear on the show. However, he declined to take part after he had arrived in New York.

Long John Nebel discussed the controversy surrounding the program on his overnight talk show on March 9th/10th, 1958. The first hour of his four hour program has been converted to .wav format, which includes his telephone conversation with the Producer of the Armstrong Circle Theater, Kenneth Arnold (who declined at the last minute to take part in the program) and others.

I don't recall which of these additional audio archives contained the full statement of what Keyhoe had said, but I think it was the third one.

Some of these audio clips could probably fit in your recent thread about censorship and propaganda as well.

Cheers karl, hope you enjoy these as much as I did. :tu:

Boonster, great post there mate and I'll certainly be giving that one a listen when I get the time - there's also a pretty rare interview with Ken Arnold here and he asks an important question about pilot UFO sightings around 20:20. :yes:

Also, I know we've talked about the book before but Richard Dolan does make some pretty relevant comments below about the CIA's 'penetration' of the U.S. media in the early 1950's taken from 'UFOs and the National Security State'.

..In addition ,the history of the U.S. media shows unsettling developments,not least of which is penetration by the intelligence community.

By the early 1950s,the CIA had cosy relationships with most major media executives in America.

The most significant of these were with the New York Times, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor, New York Herald Tribune, Saturday Evening Post, Miami Herald, Time-Life, CBS News, Scripps-Howard Newspapers, Hearst Newspapers, The Associated Press, United Press International, The Mutual Broadcasting System and Reuters.

In addition ,the CIA had major ownership over many proprietary publications throughtout Europe,Asia and the Americas.

By the early 1970s the agency admitted to having working relationships with over four hundred American journalists.

Consider the possiblities with four hundred strategically placed people throughout the mainstream media.

There is evidence that this relationship continues.

Link

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

SkyEagle, thanks for the post mate and I've always wondered about those Wright-Patterson pics - do you know if the original footage ever turned up?

I don't know, but I do know that a team from Wright-Patterson AFB has been filming UFOs in flight over Alaska.

As for Major Keyhoe and UFOs, it's been claimed that Captain Ruppelt made some interesting comments to him about CIA debunking tactics:

Cheers.

I have long been aware of the CIA's debunking tactics. The CIA has been in the UFO debunking business for years and in many cases, its debunking routine is evident. Check it out.

After Francis Gary Powers was shot down over the Soviet Union during a CIA spy flight on 1 May 1960, NASA issued a press release with a cover story about a U-2 conducting weather research that may have strayed off course after the pilot "reported difficulties with his oxygen equipment." To bolster the cover-up, a U-2 was quickly painted in NASA markings, with a fictitious NASA serial number, and put on display for the news media at the NASA Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base on 6 May 1960. The next day, Soviet Premier Nikita Kruschev exposed the cover-up by revealing that the pilot had been captured, and espionage equipment had been recovered from the wreckage.

7 May 1956

- NACA Director Dr. Hugh L. Dryden issues a press release stating that U-2 aircraft are conducting weather research for NACA with Air Force support from Watertown, Nevada.

22 May 1956

- A second press release is issued with cover story for U-2 aircraft operating overseas.

1 May 1960

- Francis Gary Powers is shot down near Sverdlovsk.

6 May 1960

- U-2 with fictitious NASA serial number and NASA markings is shown to news media to bolster cover story of NASA weather research flights with U-2.

7 May 1960

- Soviet Premier Kruschev announces capture and confession of Powers.

- Dr. Hugh L. Dryden tells senate committee that some 200 U-2 flights carrying NASA weather instrumentation have taken place since 1956.

2 April 1971

- NASA receives two U-2C aircraft for high-altitude research. These were the first U-2s to actually be operated by the NACA or NASA, as opposed to the CIA or U.S. Air Force.

http://www.dfrc.nasa...TML/E-5442.html

In addition, the lawsuit against the CIA in 1978.

1978 GSW/CIA Lawsuit Regarding CIA UFO Documents

Zechel began his career in UFOlogy in 1976 as the National Director of Research for GSW,Inc., a Phoenix-based group specializing in computer enhancement analysis of UFO photos and films. In 1977 while working in New york City as a technical consultant for Scotia-American Productions, an international film company, he filed a Freedom of Information Act [FOIA] lawsuit against the CIA, which had claimed in a letter to GSW that its only interest and involvement with UFOs was the January 1953 Robertson Panel--statements Zechel knew to be totally untrue.

In 1979 the GSW suit achieved a partial victory, although the CIA made numerous false statements about its involvement with UFOs in its Court filings and false claims about its UFO-related files. GSW's attorney, Peter Gersten, attempted to have the CIA cited for contempt to court for its falsehoods, but Judge John Pratt threw out GSW's motion as one day too late, even though the CIA had surpassed it's court-allotted time by 88 days.In 1978 Zechel founded and became the original director of Citizens Against UFO Secrecy (CAUS) and became the editor/ publisher of JUST CAUSE. The seminal issue was the January 1979 issue in which Zechel wrote his classic expose` of the CIA's covert penetration and destruction of NICAP, once the nation's leading and most powerful civilian UFO group.

After 1980, Zechel realized President Reagan was going to gut the FOIA, which he did, and the Golden era of UFO disclosure under Jimmy Carter was over. But, for example, Zechel had forced the release of over 500 documents related to the 1975 Oct/Nov UFO flap over SAC B-52 bases and missile sites from Maine to Montana, during which UFOs had hovered within 10 feet of missiles silos and within 100 feet of nuclear weapon storage areas. Plus the incredible September 1976 Iranian F-4/UFO encounter north of Tehran in which a secondary UFO had attacked a pursuing F-4 interceptor head-on.

http://www.cohenufo....day.Art.79.html

I also remember Donald Keyhoe revealing Project Saucer file # 75 on video during a prepared statement, and it was evident that the government knew all along that UFOs were craft of extraterrestrials.

Edited by skyeagle409