Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Time traveler" caught in museum photo ?

UM-Bot

LoL. The guy does look like someone who would be time travelling. Trying to fit in with the times.

Most likely he isnt though of course.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pallidin

• DieChecker

• 27vet

• misty55

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Iif that's so, the man in such strange but heroic cape outfit was there performing "Superman" if this was taken in 1950 or the WW2 era sidekick "Captain Canada" on the patriotic war bond drives on the American side on the first recorded Cosplay character custome ever. :lol:

Edited by Archangel Michael

i vote for fake.

the picture is obvious very unnatural . what made the guy so stood up is not just his clothes but also his image is a lot sharper then the rest. the light shading on him is also wrong.

Edited by kobolds

What's is he doing with a bunch of older people?

Maybe he's a reporter or something.

If you take a closer look, it does actually look like its the guy behind him, that has his arms around him... why he has that? now thats the real mystery here! lol

They are a gay couple?

I didn't think that the examples the article gave were similar to what the man was wearing in the photo. The glasses looked similar, but that guy clearly is wearing a t shirt with a sweater over it. I didn't think the camera looked similar either. that's imo. I'm not at all saying that this photo is authentic, it could have been easily faked. But it is interesting all the same.

My question is why wouldnt a "time traveler" do more to disguise himself than put on a sweater.? Another interesting note is that the other people in the photo don't seem to concerned with this strangely dressed man. And for the time I would think that at least a couple of them would be concerned. Even now when we see some one dressed out of the ordinary we look. The reopening of that bridge must have been pretty interesting! :)

I take that back. The young lady with dark hair to the left of the subject seems intrigued.

Edited by Stygean Hugh

I just found something that might add to the fact that he was actually there and is not photoshopped in.

If you look at his head, then go two persons to the left, you will see a small girl staring at him. YES, I know that could very well be a coincidence, but still, there's a man in weird clothes and a girl is staring in his direction. It's kind of like a confirmation that she might be seeing something interesting. I don't know. If you ask me, he was there at the bridge. If he's a time traveler or not... No idea.

It is amazing how many people failed to read the section which states that everything he was wearing was completely available in the 1940's.

:rolleyes:

It is amazing how many people failed to read the section which states that everything he was wearing was completely available in the 1940's.

:rolleyes:

I'm not 100% convinced on the shirt. If you look at the example of the embroidery you can see it pops out some and is distinguishable. That's not so on whatever this guy is wearing. I'm not saying he's a time traveler, though- but the site's explanation for the shirt I'm not convinced on.

I will say he was there and it's not photoshopped, though. My original thought was a possible photoshop- but his shadow appears on the lady's hat in front of him as well as a woman looking at him for wearing strange clothing (or at least appearing to look at him).

He's very out of place, but because of the quality of the picture it's hard to say if he could or could not fit in. Logical solution is that he just happens to go against the fold of fashion (or someone is really really good at photoshop). A more extraordinary solution is that he time traveled, met someone that helped him out and gave him a sweater to fit in and the camera to do whatever it is he needed to do- or to try to "fit in" as a local student.

This was 70 years ago, so if the guy was still alive he'd have to be in his 90s. I'm just waiting for someone to come out and say "oh yeah, that was my grandfather- here's more pics of him."...I'm hoping that happens soon.

The most interesting thing to me is that this cat looks just like Ben Affleck in Daredevil...or is it just me...prop picture from a movie maybe?

Looks like the guy is wearing a hoodie-shirt. Like he is trying to disguise the hood with his sweater but one of the strings is sticking out in front of his left shoulder. Also note this older guy who looks like the spitting image of Mitch Pileggi a k a Walter Skinner from X-Files.

A more extraordinary solution is that he time traveled, met someone that helped him out and gave him a sweater to fit in and the camera to do whatever it is he needed to do- or to try to "fit in" as a local student.

This was 70 years ago, so if the guy was still alive he'd have to be in his 90s. I'm just waiting for someone to come out and say "oh yeah, that was my grandfather- here's more pics of him."...I'm hoping that happens soon.

I don't believe for a second that he is a time traveller, but just for arguments sake, why would he need someone to help him? Unless he couldn't control where/when he was going? Going to the future, yes you would need some help as you don't know what fashions there will be, but if you are going to the 50's... easy peasy!

I reckon if you go to the future, just wear jeans and a t-shirt, that will always be in fashion! lol

Yeah, someone will know who he is... also wonder if there are a number of other photos from that day? Can he be seen again? Is there a tardis nearby? :w00t:

LoL. The guy does look like someone who would be time travelling. Trying to fit in with the times.

Time for the mammoth hunt, dudes!

I've read the article and everything he has on was around during that time so nothing odd. Though, I must say it does look like he is wearing a printed shirt from modern time with a knitted sweater/jacket on.

If the guy in the photo is around today(time traveler or not), let him come forward and clear up the mystery.

I think this photo is so neat.I wish this old man would come forward today and clear this up,and laugh at us. :w00t:

If I wanted to create a controversial fake picture like that I would definetively opt out replacing the camera with an Ipod. I would go for something more subtle but yet quite out of time. Like a ring in the eyebrow or in the nose. Far from being an expert on body piercings I believe it was very unusual for a male to wear ring in the face in the 40's. Maybe he could do it if he was a sailor or a gypsy but the ordinary joes didn't do it. I also believe they did it in the ear lobes only. I know I spotted at least one pirate in the first Pirates Of The Caribean with a nose ring but I perceived that more as an anachronism than anything else.

But let's for a minute play with the fact that he is a time traveller. How would a professional time traveller reason? That it is easy like stealing candy from a child to blend in? Just doing your math and research how they dressed back then? Remember when Marty McFly posed as Calvin Klein and dressed up like Clint Eastwood? He thought he would blend in perfectly but he was wrong. He was sticking out from almost the first moment he arrived in the 1880's. Or let's play with the thought that you want to go back to the court of Elizabeth I and check out some celebs of that day like maybe Drake, Walshingham or John Dee. You check out a few period paintings or so. So you dress up like that with a collar like a plate round your neck and *wham* go back to the 1500's. And you discover that you stick out. Remember, they didn't have cell phones with cameras a hundred years ago. in 1910 going to the photographer was a family event. People dressed up like they where going to the church or something. Therefore I assume people dressed up if they where posing for a painting 300-400 years before too. My point is that how much research you do, you can't be sure to blend in anyway. Unless you're an ultra-experienced traveller, you would likely do the same mistake as McFly.

Edited by Robin_Shadowes

Nope lol

I'm not all that convinced about time travel.

Do i think it would be a great discovery? Yes, but we can't handle that.

Plus, Doctor who is a bit of an idiot :lol:

Maybe humans will become friendlier and more helpful beings in the future, but it just looks like it's all going downhill to me... No time machine will ever change that.

Or maybe it will... Never say Never :tu:

Just supposing he is out of place, as it has been noted, there's the woman and the girl looking at him, right? Maybe the photographer taking the photo intentionally took a picture of that guy just because he thought, "that guy looks a little odd".

• 3 months later...

Hmmm...modern man with hand knit jacket?

Only hippies, but that blokes surely does not look like a hippie.