Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Minot AFB B-52 UFO Incident.

karl 12

Very intriguing witness testimony from pilots and security guards involved in the Minot AFB B-52 incident of 1968 (see video) - the unknown object was confirmed on radar and witnessed by several (separately located) military personnel including the crew of a B-52 as they passed overhead.

The pilot described the object as "a minimum of 200 feet in diameter and hundreds of feet long with a metallic cylinder attached to another section that was shaped like a crescent moon" and the radar operator on the video also makes some very interesting comments about how the object flew in formation along the same heading as the B-52 at about three o clock off their right wing.

MINOT AFB B-52 UFO INCIDENT

1242ba8a5e6d.jpg

For over three hours in late 1968, numerous ground witnesses observed an unconventional aerial object maneuvering over the [Minuteman] ICBM missile fields surrounding Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. During this time, an unidentified object paced a B-52 and was recorded on radar. Later, the crew of the B-52 overflew and observed a large glowing object on or near the ground.

Portions of this incident were recently dramatized in the ABC News Special television documentary Peter Jennings Reporting: UFOs: Seeing is Believing.

Link

Witness Testimony from ground and flight crews begin at 16:10

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1614846387438905636

..We are also reminded of Blue Book case# 12548, in which a UFO was sighted on October 24th, 1968 at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. Airmen on the ground saw a brightly-lit object hovering above the ground. A B52 was flying in the area and was diverted to investigate. The crew clearly saw a structured craft and they appear on camera to describe their experiences. The co-pilot, an Air Force captain, is certain that what he saw was an alien spacecraft. The navigator picked it up on his radar scope and we are shown photographs of the actual blip as it paced the aircraft. When it vanished from the scope, they turned the aircraft in an attempt to locate the UFO visually.They saw it hovering close to the ground. It was described as at least 200-feet in diameter, hundreds of feet long, glowing yellow, with a metallic cylinder that was attached.

The crew of the B52 and sixteen ground witnesses attested that they saw a UFO that night. Blue Book came to the astonishing conclusion that what they actually saw were nothing more than stars!

Link

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• karl 12

• skyeagle409

• DONTEATUS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very intriguing witness testimony from pilots and security guards involved in the Minot AFB B-52 incident of 1968 (see video) - the unknown object was confirmed on radar and witnessed by several (separately located) military personnel including the crew of a B-52 as they passed overhead.

The pilot described the object as "a minimum of 200 feet in diameter and hundreds of feet long with a metallic cylinder attached to another section that was shaped like a crescent moon" and the radar operator on the video also makes some very interesting comments about how the object flew in formation along the same heading as the B-52 at about three o clock off their right wing.

Link

Link

Thanks Karl! thumbsup.gif

I was just telling of that incident on your other thread. Not many people are aware of what has been happening in regards to UFOs and our nuclear facilities. The aircrew of this incident were also featured on ABC News, which was hosted by Peter Jennings.

Edited by skyeagle409

Hey bud -you're not wrong about those nuclear facilities and there does seem to be a disproportionate number of credible UFO reports from these places - Captain Ruppelt from Project Bluebook also seemed to notice a correlation:

"UFO's were habitually reported from areas around "technically interesting" places like our atomic energy installations, harbors, and critical manufacturing areas."

Captain Edward Ruppelt - Project chief of Air Force investigations into UFO phenomena

As for this case I think it's a truly fascinating one and the paragraph at the bottom of this article just about sums things up:

Pilot Transmissions

MINOT AIR FORCE BASE - In Captain Kevin Randle's new book Scientific Ufology he reports on a Project Blue Book case dated October 24, 1968, when missile crews, control personnel and maintenance personnel observed a UFO in the vicinity of the base. The following is the tape between the air controllers and the B-52 crew with call sign JAG Three one...

What we have, then, was a group of sightings made by men on the ground, at the missile sites scattered around the base. There was radar sightings from ground and weather's radar. There were visual sightings from the crew of the B-52, and an airborne radar sighting where the target traveled at 3,000 miles per hour. Scope photographs were taken. There were sightings made by S.Sgt. Bond the FSC at Nov. Flight, S.Sgt. Smith at Oscar-1, Julelt, and Mike Flight Team and a number of men in widely scattered locations. The object landed at location AA-43 and the entire observation lasted for 45 minutes. Fourteen other people in separate locations also reported the UFO.

Link

Cheers.

Edited by karl 12

Hey bud -you're not wrong about those nuclear facilities and there does seem to be a disproportionate number of credible UFO reports from these places - Captain Ruppelt from Project Bluebook also seemed to notice a correlation:

As for this case I think it's a truly fascinating one and the paragraph at the bottom of this article just about sums things up:

Cheers.

I can still remember that Minot AFB, B-52 aircrew who were interviewed on ABC News. When we have highly experienced aircrews talking extraterrestrial flying machines that they encountered, it's time for people to listen to what they have to say.

I can still remember talking about the Minot AFB incident, and shortly afterwards, I flew to California to take part in my chapter's airshow participation at Travis AFB. Amazingly, military officials placed our booth right next to a B-52 from Minot AFB.

Edited by skyeagle409

There are quite a few cases where, if the witness testimony is to be believed, then it's very hard to imagine what else it might be if it's not a craft of some kind. And as Sky is fond of saying, there certainly wasn't then anything like that in our closet, nor is it easy to see why it might behave like this if there was. Same with these triangular devices. So I think this is one of those cases where the most logical explanations - misidentification of something like a planet, weather conditions, etc, do have to be looked at very carefully,. and not just nominated as what it's "most likely to be" without any kind of corroboration.

There are quite a few cases where, if the witness testimony is to be believed, then it's very hard to imagine what else it might be if it's not a craft of some kind. And as Sky is fond of saying, there certainly wasn't then anything like that in our closet, nor is it easy to see why it might behave like this if there was. Same with these triangular devices. So I think this is one of those cases where the most logical explanations - misidentification of something like a planet, weather conditions, etc, do have to be looked at very carefully,. and not just nominated as what it's "most likely to be" without any kind of corroboration.

In the Minot AFB case, a saucer-like object was confirmed, not only by the aircrew, but by military observers on the ground. As the B-52 flew passed the saucer-like UFO, the co-pilot looked through one of the object's windows, so we can now state with certainty, the object was not the result of any natural phenomena, but that of a spacecraft, as indicated by the co-pilot himself.

Edited by skyeagle409

Its cases like this that keeps me interested in the ufo subject. Sometimes people have to hold their hands up and say "i don't know what the hell it was" There is no shame in doing that, it certainly does no mean you believe it to be ET. But some people have a funny way of not excepting that some cases have no logical explanation, and then we start to hear all the explanations concerning planets,balloons etc. Off course there are cases where these explanations fit well, but on certain cases when people use these explanations, its just desperation on not leaving a case as unknown.

Thanks for the replies and I think Morrison makes quite a good point there about some people having a psychological need to 'debunk' UFO cases - even if relevant facts do get in the way.

Although Minot AFB experienced other UFO incidents down the years I think the 1968 one is by far the strangest and Project Bluebook's Chief scientist Dr J Allen Hynek makes some interesting comments below about 'object speed' and 'electromagnetic interference effects'.

Dr. J. Allen Hynek:

Some of the more pertinent details of the sighting are contained in the following excerpts from a Project Blue Book Memorandum for the Record, prepared by a Blue Book staff officer:

At about 0300 hours (3:00 A.M.) local, a B-52 that was about 30 miles northwest of Minot AFB and making practice penetrations sighted an unidentified blip on their radars.

Initially the target travelled approximately 2 1/2 miles in 3 sec. or at about 3,000 mph.

After passing from the right to the left of the plane it assumed a position off the left wing of the 52. The blip stayed off the left wing for approximately 20 miles at which point it broke off. Scope photographs were taken.

When the target was close to the B-52 neither of the two transmitters in the B-52 would operate properly but when it broke off both returned to normal operation.

At about this time a missile maintenance man called in and reported sighting a bright orangish-red object. The object was hovering at about 1000 ft, or so, and had a sound similar to a jet engine. The observer had stopped his car, but he then started it up again. As he started to move, the object followed him, then accelerated and appeared to stop at about 6-8 miles away. The observer shortly afterward lost sight of it.

In response to the maintenance mans call the B-52, which had continued its penetration run. was vectored toward the visual which was about 10 miles northwest of the base. The B-52 confirmed having sighted a bright light of some type that appeared to be hovering just over or on the ground.

The Blue Book files contain the reports by fourteen members of missile maintenance crews from five different sights at Minot AFB who claimed to have seen a similar object.

Link

There are also these images taken from the Peter Jennings programme about the incident:

Image of the object taken from the radarscope:

be87abf29e1b.jpg

Object as witnessed from the cockpit of the B-52:

aa34df5aab24.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by karl 12

Thanks for the replies and I think Morrison makes quite a good point there about some people having a psychological need to 'debunk' UFO cases - even if relevant facts do get in the way.

Although Minot AFB experienced other UFO incidents down the years I think the 1968 one is by far the strangest and Project Bluebook's Chief scientist Dr J Allen Hynek makes some interesting comments below about 'object speed' and 'electromagnetic interference effects'.

Link

There are also these images taken from the Peter Jennings programme about the incident:

Great find!

There have been many such encounters, but the public is largely unaware of what has been going on over their heads because a few people think that the public is not ready to know the rest of the story.

There have been cases where our Minuteman missiles and surround property were tampered with during UFO encounters. In one particular case, a missile had to be replaced.

Edited by skyeagle409

SkyEagle, I think you may be right about that and there certainly are some interesting government documents dealing with the Minot AFB 'incursions' - here's an interesting one which describes several ground maintennance teams witnessing the object for a period of 45 minutes.

The ground witnesses state it was "a very large object, reddish orange in colour with flashing green and white lights" - one of the crew also reports he saw the object separate and go in opposite directions only to return and pass under one other.

LCF personnel sited UFO - Appeard to land:

Link

Therre are also these documents dealing with the 1966 Minot incidents:

In August of 1966 UFOs were spotted near minuteman missile launch facilities (3 separate silos) located at or near Carpio and Grano North Dakota, under the administration of the 862nd Combat Support Group (SAC) Minot AF.

Not only were the UFOs spotted by the personnel of the missile silos, they were tracked by radar; Additionally, the UFOs, according to witnesses "affected radio transmissions," which became more severe when the UFOs were in closer proximity to the launch facilities (silos). During this incident one of the UFOs was reported to "land."

Immediately measures were taken: AN F-106 Interceptor was launched; additionally, an airborne KC-135 was diverted to scan the area. On the ground a strike team was dispatched to the area of the reported landing.

One of the witnesses, a site activation team member made of a drawing of the object which resembled a "classic flying saucer shape:

ed88e1c37897.jpg

5e80fa8d2d37.jpg

Link

Cheers.

Edited by karl 12

Shhh !!!! Dont let the septics read these They will say its Venus,balloons,swampgas,or Big-Foot!

Yes!!..That's another 'Cracker!''Karl'!..And thanks for the links!(more exellent reading!) :tu: ..Whilst it may not be the 'smoking gun', for the sceptics,!...It's pretty close ..for me!...Call me 'gullible'(and many do!)..but , when it comes to testimony of this calibre, from this many proffessional men!....Then ,..I am loathed to call them fools or liars!! :hmm:

Thanks for the replies and 1963 -I wouldn't call all these professional men fools or liars either. :)

Here's yet another government document dealing with the 1966 Minot radar/visual UFO intrusion and it goes into more detail about flight characteristics and electromagnetic effects.

Intrusion at Minot Air Force Base, 1966

Government document:

6d042bc260e1.jpg

One of many classified reports that slipped through the cracks occurred at Minot Air Force Base, in North Dakota, on August 24, 1966. That night, an airman radioed to the base about a multicolored light, very high in the sky. A team went to the location, confirmed the original unknown, then saw a second, white object pass in front of clouds. The base radar tracked the object, which was as high as 100,000 feet (almost twenty miles). The object rose and descended several times; each time it descended, an air force officer in charge of a missile crew found his radio transmission interrupted by static, even though he was sixty feet below the ground. The object eventually descended to ground level ten to fifteen miles south of the area. The Air Force sent a strike team to check. Apparently, they saw the object either on the ground or hovering very low. According to the official report:

When the team was about ten miles from the landing site, static disrupted radio contact with them. Five to eight minutes later, the glow diminished, and the UFO took off. Another UFO was visually sighted and confirmed by radar. The one that was first sighted passed beneath the second. Radar also confirmed this. The first made for altitude toward the north, and the second seemed to disappear with the glow of red.

The incident lasted nearly four hours and was confirmed by three different missile sites.

Twelve Government Documents That Take UFOs Seriously

Cheers.

Edited by karl 12

We may someday get the Low-Down-and-Skinny on UFO`s I cant wait !

Thanks for the replies and 1963 -I wouldn't call all these professional men fools or liars either. :)

Here's yet another government document dealing with the 1966 Minot radar/visual UFO intrusion and it goes into more detail about flight characteristics and electromagnetic effects.

Intrusion at Minot Air Force Base, 1966

Government document:

6d042bc260e1.jpg

Twelve Government Documents That Take UFOs Seriously

Cheers.

Hi'Karl'!..And thanks for the further link!...just had a quick glance..and noticed J Edgar Hoovers name there!..havent had time to read it all yet(busy getting kids settled!)..But..thought it was a coincidence...I was trawling the net earlier and came across this....link ..wondered if you had seen it before?

Hi'Karl'!..And thanks for the further link!...just had a quick glance..and noticed J Edgar Hoovers name there!..havent had time to read it all yet(busy getting kids settled!)..But..thought it was a coincidence...I was trawling the net earlier and came across this....link ..wondered if you had seen it before?

http://ufologie.net/htm/foia26.htm .Sorry about the link c***-up before!

Edited by 1963

SkyEagle, I think you may be right about that and there certainly are some interesting government documents dealing with the Minot AFB 'incursions' - here's an interesting one which describes several ground maintennance teams witnessing the object for a period of 45 minutes.

The ground witnesses state it was "a very large object, reddish orange in colour with flashing green and white lights" - one of the crew also reports he saw the object separate and go in opposite directions only to return and pass under one other.

LCF personnel sited UFO - Appeard to land:

Link

Therre are also these documents dealing with the 1966 Minot incidents:

Cheers.

The Minot AFB incident is truly amazing! Many such incidents are not even reported in the newspapers, so the public is largely unaware of what has been going on around them. Here, we had witnesses on the ground and in the air, whose accounts were verified by electronic means.

The Minot AFB UFO was definitely not the result of any natural phenomena.

Thanks for sharing all this, Karl. It's very interesting. The fact that documents like these are no longer classified is interesting to me too.

Thanks for sharing all this, Karl. It's very interesting. The fact that documents like these are no longer classified is interesting to me too.

And, that is just the tip of an iceberg. There are thousands of such documention on UFO incidents and sightings.

Link

Link

The skeptics should take a look at this case, but, there are those who will try to throw in explanations that just won't fit.

But remember it cant be an Alien driven Craft THe Septics all say so ! So Im sold ! I`ll listen to Logic anyday over what a professional Pilot would say right?

But remember it cant be an Alien driven Craft THe Septics all say so ! So Im sold ! I`ll listen to Logic anyday over what a professional Pilot would say right?

There is such a thing as a skeptical professional pilot, you know. :)

Hazzard - in your capacity as a sceptical professional pilot what would you say the object involved in the 1968 Minot AFB incident actualy was?

Cheers.

DoubtingJessi, thanks for the reply -I don't know if you've seen this presentation before but its a very interesting one and goes into more detail about the subject of government documentary evidence:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7408692026357341951&ei=1NziSt-YKM3F-AbZ_qTABw&q=john+greenewald+junior+

For nearly 9 years, John Greenewald, Jr. has been exploring the archives of the U.S. Government for undeniable proof of the UFO Phenomenon. In those nine years, he has created the largest online archive anywhere in the world. Join John as he sifts through the mounds of Government documents and see the most fascinating results.

Cheers.

There is such a thing as a skeptical professional pilot, you know. original.gif

What did highly-trained professional aircrews have to say about their UFO encounters?