Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Minot AFB B-52 UFO Incident.

karl 12

I've referred to this case many times in my posts, along with quite a few others that are very similar, but once again the "skeptics" are almost always in default of any comments, even to explain what it could be or could not be besides a genuine UFO.

McGuffin, happy New Year mate and I'd certainly agree this case involves a genuine UFO - the paragraph below just about sums it up:

What we have, then, was a group of sightings made by men on the ground, at the missile sites scattered around the base. There was radar sightings from ground and weather's radar. There were visual sightings from the crew of the B-52, and an airborne radar sighting where the target traveled at 3,000 miles per hour. Scope photographs were taken. There were sightings made by S.Sgt. Bond the FSC at Nov. Flight, S.Sgt. Smith at Oscar-1, Julelt, and Mike Flight Team and a number of men in widely scattered locations. The object landed at location AA-43 and the entire observation lasted for 45 minutes. Fourteen other people in separate locations also reported the UFO.

It also seems U.S. Air Force staff sergeant Bill Smith is still sharing his UFO experiences at Minot AFB with other people, quite courageous when you think at the time he was 'ordered never to discuss the incident outside the chain of command' - hats off to him. :)

Standing up to the past

Cheers.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• karl 12

• skyeagle409

• DONTEATUS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The skeptics should take a look at this case, but, there are those who will try to throw in explanations that just won't fit.

You get your wish this time, Skyeagle! :P

I'm not the first to admit it is an intriguing case. The first point I would like to bring up, though, is the discrepancy in what was reported by visual identifaction by the B-52 team, and a 'site activation team member' (ground-based observer).

What the aircrew described was not a 'classic saucer', but more along the lines of the 'dirigible UFO'. Their description is "200 feet in diameter and many hundreds of feet long" which, even with the 'metal cylinder attached to a crescent' addition fits the 'dirigible UFO' much better than a 'saucer UFO'.

However, the ground based observer describes (and draws) a classic 'saucer UFO'.

Granted, they are separate sightings, and so there is no necessity for consistency in the shape of what was witnessed, but we do have to consider why, if we assume a guided vehicle was responsible for the sightings, different vehicles were observed in each instance?

We should use as a basis for comparison, the surveillance vehicles available to our militaries and theorise why different vehicles would be observed? Are we to conclude multiple ET's (hence differing vehicle designs) visiting the same site within the same timeframe? That would seem to be stretching credulity, imo.

It is not impossible for the above to have occurred, it is just, imo, far more unlikely than at least one of the reports being misidentification.

I would like to see the various reports posted on this thread collated to show the sequence of the sightings, and the area over which they occurred, and any link between the observers (i.e. contact between personnel involved or otherwise connected to observers.) This may indicate where in subsequent reports, observers have been 'led' by rumour, etc, of the previous.

Edited by Leonardo

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Your Majesty, this case was beaten to death - no freaking alienz have been found. You can use Search.

In any case I did offer the possibility if some type of experimental, perhaps hybridised blimp. Just like the ones that remains unexplained from the 1800's. If this was a large unexplained solid confirmed craft, the question remains as to why nobody was sent to investigate. If it was confirmed, it would have to be investigated, unless of course the object was known. It may not be the explanation, but I think it beats scratching ones head, and running with the all over explanation of out new gods - ET. A place to start. I feel calling ET is no more helpful then calling them stars. The discrepancies I can see are speed, which could be attributed to parallax error with a large object. However, I do not know the capabilities of a hybradised blimp.

It is interesting to note that Quintanilla felt this was plasma.

Edited by psyche101

In any case I did offer the possibility if some type of experimental, perhaps hybridised blimp. Just like the ones that remains unexplained from the 1800's. If this was a large unexplained solid confirmed craft, the question remains as to why nobody was sent to investigate. If it was confirmed, it would have to be investigated, unless of course the object was known. It may not be the explanation, but I think it beats scratching ones head, and running with the all over explanation of out new gods - ET. A place to start. I feel calling ET is no more helpful then calling them stars. The discrepancies I can see are speed, which could be attributed to parallax error with a large object. However, I do not know the capabilities of a hybradised blimp.

A few years ago, the Air Force set up my exhibition booth next to a B-52 from Minot AFB, and I spoke with the aircrew, and yes, the incident occurred as reported and the object was not a balloon, but of a flying machine that exhibited extraordinary flight characteristics far beyond anything in our inventory.

Edited by skyeagle409

Some old B-52s never Die ! specially the Minot B-52

The B-52 will be around 90 years old when it is finally retired from service. BTW, "Red Tails" is due for opening this Friday, January 20, and I hope to bring Colonel Warren with me. He is doing just fine.

The B-52 will be around 90 years old when it is finally retired from service. BTW, "Red Tails" is due for opening this Friday, January 20, and I hope to bring Colonel Warren with me. He is doing just fine.

Can't wait to see it, Sky thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Badeskov

A few years ago, the Air Force set up my exhibition booth next to a B-52 from Minot AFB, and I spoke with the aircrew, and yes, the incident occurred as reported and the object was not a balloon, but of a flying machine that exhibited extraordinary flight characteristics far beyond anything in our inventory.

I believe that is entirely possible, but we have seen earthly things that do not exist in out inventory, but are being considered and possibly tested before, such as the mystery airships of the 1800's. It's a mystery true, but we only have visual descriptions to work with, and they as we know can be quite shaky.There is also the possibility that the dimensions were not correctly estimated, making ordinary movements appear somewhat fantastic.

But what I find the strangest of all, and why I suspect black ops, is that there was no response. If it was a confirmed sighting, and unknown, why did we not send up reconnaissance?

Mystery Airships of the 1800s

May I offer a "happy birthday" to the B-52, and deep respects to Colonel Warren. And I hope the upcoming event is favorable to yourself as well Sky. All the best.

May I offer a "happy birthday" to the B-52, and deep respects to Colonel Warren. And I hope the upcoming event is favorable to yourself as well Sky. All the best.

Thanks you!! :tu:

I hope "Red Tails" will be shown in Australia. I introduced Donteatus to Colonel Warren while I was in Corpus Christi, Texas, where I had my exhibition on public display, which was shown on the local news stations.

I believe that is entirely possible, but we have seen earthly things that do not exist in out inventory, but are being considered and possibly tested before, such as the mystery airships of the 1800's. It's a mystery true, but we only have visual descriptions to work with, and they as we know can be quite shaky.There is also the possibility that the dimensions were not correctly estimated, making ordinary movements appear somewhat fantastic.

But what I find the strangest of all, and why I suspect black ops, is that there was no response. If it was a confirmed sighting, and unknown, why did we not send up reconnaissance?

Mystery Airships of the 1800s

I can understand how people can misidentify airships, and in fact, a blimp once passed behind my house one night and it was reported as a UFO the next day, but I knew that it was a blimp, which flew from Oakland to Sacramento because I was aware of the schedule for that flight.

In another case, one of our KC-10's was misidentifiied by a couple in Norhern California as a UFO, but with all of its formation lights on, it looks like a real UFO, so that sighting was explained as well. Not far from where I live, there was a case of a crop circle, so I went to the site and headed straight for the center and found what I was looking for, a bore hole. That was all it took for me to debunk that crop circle, which was only a half mile from the Junior College. Later, it was reveal that the circle was a fake.

The majority of UFO reports can be explained and I am suspicious of UFO reports until I have examined the reports in detail. What many people are unaware of, is that the majority of military UFO encounters are not reported, and I found that out in regards to my own sighting in Vietnam and after my trip from Andrews AFB.

I don't think it was hybridised blimp either. IMHO, it was just misidentification: celestial objects seen by ground crews (while with binoculars it wasn't seen from tower), and, most likely, car headlights plus perimeter lights in haze seen by air crew. As for radar readings I think of EAS leaving (bit longer lasting) ionized trail in humid air.

Hi Karl!Perhaps the 'TRUTH' about UFOs monitoring nuclear weapon facilities is finally on it's way! http://knowelty.com/former-air-force-officials-speak-out-about-ufo-sightings/873552/Cheers buddy.

Hey 1963, thanks for the link buddy...very interesting. :tu:

Hey Psyche, interesting in as far as we can now easily discount plasma if Quintanilla used his usual methods to reach said conclusion.

We must remember how he dealt with Portage county. His conversation with one of the officers (witnesses) 'so tell me about this mirage you saw' :w00t: he is not leading much with question is he ? or not obvious he had a preconceived conclusions to hand... :P

at least he has moved away from satellites and venus being the favoured answer :)

I know nothing of this incident at Minot, what is the general consensus amongst the skeptics?

Hey Psyche, interesting in as far as we can now easily discount plasma if Quintanilla used his usual methods to reach said conclusion.

We must remember how he dealt with Portage county. His conversation with one of the officers (witnesses) 'so tell me about this mirage you saw' :w00t: he is not leading much with question is he ? or not obvious he had a preconceived conclusions to hand... :P

at least he has moved away from satellites and venus being the favoured answer :)

Quillius, when it came to Major Hector Quintanilla, I don't think Dr Hynek was too impressed with his (or Sgt Moody's) methods of 'objective' investigation..

"When Major Quintanilla came in, the flag of the utter nonsense school was flying at its highest on the mast. Now he had a certain Sgt. Moody assisting him...Moody epitomized the conviction-before-trial method. Anything that he didn't understand or didn't like was immediately put into the psychological category, which meant "crackpot." He would not ever say that the person who reported a case was a fairly respectable person, maybe we should look into it, or maybe we should find out. He was also the master of the possible: possible balloon, possible aircraft, possible birds, which then became, by his own hand (and I argued with him violently at times), the probable; he said, well, we have no category "possible" aircraft. It is therefore either unidentified or aircraft. Well, it is more likely aircraft; therefore it is aircraft.... An "unidentified" to Moody was not a challenge for further research. To have it remain unidentified was a blot... and he did everything to remove it. He went back to cases from Captain Gregory's days and way back in Ruppelt's days and redid the files. A lot that were unidentified in those days he "identified" years and years later".

Dr J Allen Hynek, Chairman of the Department of Astronomy at Northwestern University and scientific consultant for Air Force investigations of UFOs from 1948 until 1969 (Projects Sign, Grudge and Blue Book).

Cheers.

Quillius, when it came to Major Hector Quintanilla, I don't think Dr Hynek was too impressed with his (or Sgt Moody's) methods of 'objective' investigation..

Cheers.

Cheers Karl.

One other thing, in the case of Portage county, even when Quintanilla seem to accept that Venus and a satellite were not the correct answer, and he said he would change the status back to unknown, he chose to leave it as was (or possibly forgot-admin error)..this leads me to my thought, how many 'explained cases' that give us these wonderful % of unknown cases versus known are actually correct?

If the records show only 5% remain unexplained, then I agrue that this may be a false figure upon which to base discussion.

Very intriguing witness testimony from pilots and security guards involved in the Minot AFB B-52 incident of 1968 (see video) - the unknown object was confirmed on radar and witnessed by several (separately located) military personnel including the crew of a B-52 as they passed overhead.

The pilot described the object as "a minimum of 200 feet in diameter and hundreds of feet long with a metallic cylinder attached to another section that was shaped like a crescent moon" and the radar operator on the video also makes some very interesting comments about how the object flew in formation along the same heading as the B-52 at about three o clock off their right wing.

Link

Excellent video clip. Very convincing. Thanks

Z

I can understand how people can misidentify airships, and in fact, a blimp once passed behind my house one night and it was reported as a UFO the next day, but I knew that it was a blimp, which flew from Oakland to Sacramento because I was aware of the schedule for that flight.

In another case, one of our KC-10's was misidentifiied by a couple in Norhern California as a UFO, but with all of its formation lights on, it looks like a real UFO, so that sighting was explained as well. Not far from where I live, there was a case of a crop circle, so I went to the site and headed straight for the center and found what I was looking for, a bore hole. That was all it took for me to debunk that crop circle, which was only a half mile from the Junior College. Later, it was reveal that the circle was a fake.

The majority of UFO reports can be explained and I am suspicious of UFO reports until I have examined the reports in detail. What many people are unaware of, is that the majority of military UFO encounters are not reported, and I found that out in regards to my own sighting in Vietnam and after my trip from Andrews AFB.

It certainly is an intriguing tale, the part that keeps sticking with me is that we did not respond. That seems very out of character if the operators were convinced that what they had in their sights was something unusual. Would not this basic protocol only be denied if the origin of the object in question was in fact identified?

Thanks you!! :tu:

I hope "Red Tails" will be shown in Australia. I introduced Donteatus to Colonel Warren while I was in Corpus Christi, Texas, where I had my exhibition on public display, which was shown on the local news stations.

I sure hope they can make their way down-under as well, it would be quite a treat for we aussies. Otherwise we have Avalon next year, I might have to wait for that one. - LInk Avalon

Do you have any pictures of your exhibition that you could share? I would love to see your work.

For anyone and everyone interested, the RAF has some neat futuristic wallpapers with a space-bound RAF depicted here LINK

I know nothing of this incident at Minot, what is the general consensus amongst the skeptics?

Hi Quillius

Indeed, Quintanilla does not have a good record of convincing explanations, but he seemed to go the extra mile on this one. Plasma was still quite an unknown, so he must have sought the answer to fit. I find that out of character for him, as such I find the end result somewhat puzzling. Usually he seemed to find an answer he was happy with and that would suffice, this time he seems to have done much more than that. Why this case I wonder?

Personally I think we have an interesting anomaly, but again, the thing is reported as huge, how could it enter our airspace, and our solar system completely undetected? And what sort of system would keep such a massive body of the ground, and maneuver it like that? Regardless of technology, any alien still has to deal with inertia here. As such, I am struggling with the idea of a very large structured craft that is highly maneuverable, picks up speed at an amazing pace, and appears and disappears at will. And even though we have a genuine report, we decided it was not worth investigating. I think jumping to ET is premature considering all this. It is strange, but our actions are every bit as strange as the report itself. I am still thinking black ops. Maybe some attempt at an airborne refueling station or something.

Cheers.

I don't think it was hybridised blimp either. IMHO, it was just misidentification: celestial objects seen by ground crews (while with binoculars it wasn't seen from tower), and, most likely, car headlights plus perimeter lights in haze seen by air crew. As for radar readings I think of EAS leaving (bit longer lasting) ionized trail in humid air.

If we did have some sort of celestial event, surely there would be a record of it? I would think if it was EAS or similar, that some group should be aware of this, and be able to put 2 and 2 together, but in his case, it seems nobody has an alibi.

Also the pilot description of metallic cylinder attached to another section that was shaped like a crescent moon is hard to resolve with a natural event, and also that we simply did not respond to a radar return. The entire event seems well,, uneventful. A genuine confirmed massive UFO should not be.

You did well, I got

404 | Page Not Found!

Sorry, but the page you were looking for is not here.

Although I was only expecting more codswallop from Hastings and Salas.

Cheers.

I am thinking this may have had more to do with ego than misinformation. I do believe that much of the believer/skeptic situation was borne from those early years, and the differences of opinion between those in charge of this area of investigation. I feel this is also much to do with other cases like Roswell, whereby those from NYU and those stationed at the base were often at odds with each other. Had science adopted the investigation from day one, the outlook today may possibly have been quite different.