Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

chemical-licker

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/space/article7107207.ece

Has stephen hawkins been abducted or something?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• DONTEATUS

• Alien Being

• Paxus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, Dr. Hawkins is simply thinking about the characteristics that space traveling aliens might possess:

He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”

There's a good possibility that aliens might be less like the movie ET and more like Independence Day.

Nope, Dr. Hawkins is simply thinking about the characteristics that space traveling aliens might possess:

There's a good possibility that aliens might be less like the movie ET and more like Independence Day.

Totally agree with you Lilly, Dr. Hawkings is one of the most respected scientists of our time,

I can understand that. Most people keep talking about how ET is going to "save us" and "help us" with our problems.

But Im pretty sure that there are predators out there aswell.

I cant wait to see that documentary. If it anything like Alien Planet Im sure I wont be disappointed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453446/

Edited by Hazzard

That's very true. To make matters worse, no one uses Windows 95 anymore so who could re-use the computer virus to win the war again!?

That's very true. To make matters worse, no one uses Windows 95 anymore so who could re-use the computer virus to win the war again!?

Dont sweat it, GW... Im guessing that by the time aliens shows up to steal our stuff (if ever) we could send an armada of battle cruiser to kick their butts all over Neptune.

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

Aliens could be like anything.

We have a lot of dangerous idiots making decisions which could effect us all when it comes to finding alien lifeforms. I think the problem stems from the more arrogant closed mind members of our society who believe in only one type of alien.

Whats to stop aliens turning up next week and announcing that 10 years ago our t.v signals started reaching them. They tell us all that they are very impressed with this Hitler dude and want to form an alliance with him because his ideology is like theirs. When we announce we fought against him and defeated him in WW2 the aliens then turn on us and wipe us out.

See the problem?

Aliens dont have to be Liberals, they dont have to believe in Democracy or freedom. They could be Communists, Fascists, Theologists, Imperialists, in fact anything. Therefore an individual allowing themself to make biased decisions when it comes to our space policies need removing from all positions of influence.

We have a lot of dangerous idiots making decisions which could effect us all when it comes to finding alien lifeforms. I think the problem stems from the more arrogant closed mind members of our society who believe in only one type of alien.

Whats to stop aliens turning up next week and announcing that 10 years ago our t.v signals started reaching them. They tell us all that they are very impressed with this Hitler dude and want to form an alliance with him because his ideology is like theirs. When we announce we fought against him and defeated him in WW2 the aliens then turn on us and wipe us out.

See the problem?

Aliens dont have to be Liberals, they dont have to believe in Democracy or freedom. They could be Communists, Fascists, Theologists, Imperialists, in fact anything. Therefore an individual allowing themself to make biased decisions when it comes to our space policies need removing from all positions of influence.

I would have to agree with this statement. We have a very specific idea on what aliens will be. Beneficial for some, evil for others. Extraterrestrials have been cut and dry in most people's eyes for so long now, that it's almost reached a point in which people take sides.

"Well they are just hiding out, and not showing themselves because of the current state of the world. Would you show yourself to another race knowing their propensity for war and violence, if you were a peace loving race?" - Told to me by a friend (not verbatim)

OR

There comes the next version. The "Earth Harvesting". E.T's, if they were planning on taking our world for their own, is a scary thought. But as A.B. put it, They probably would not know our political structure, no matter what country or creed. It's a very creepy thought. Reminds me (and forgive me for this reference) of hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. If we were in the way of something bigger than us? What could we do about it? I doubt we'd even know before existence as we know it was wiped out.

Until then, I shall remain skeptical. :alien:

Edited by TwilightSilver

I would have to agree with this statement. We have a very specific idea on what aliens will be. Beneficial for some, evil for others. Extraterrestrials have been cut and dry in most people's eyes for so long now, that it's almost reached a point in which people take sides.

"Well they are just hiding out, and not showing themselves because of the current state of the world. Would you show yourself to another race knowing their propensity for war and violence, if you were a peace loving race?" - Told to me by a friend (not verbatim)

OR

There comes the next version. The "Earth Harvesting". E.T's, if they were planning on taking our world for their own, is a scary thought. But as A.B. put it, They probably would not know our political structure, no matter what country or creed. It's a very creepy thought. Reminds me (and forgive me for this reference) of hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. If we were in the way of something bigger than us? What could we do about it? I doubt we'd even know before existence as we know it was wiped out.

Until then, I shall remain skeptical. :alien:

Caution is the best policy because out there there will hostile, empire building aliens.

The sooner we adopt similar imperialist behaviour the better as it will increase our chances of survival galactically. We should be like the Borg from Star trek.

Edited by Alien Being

Dont you just love this guy.

"Ho knows dude, they could be made of water, I don´t even know" "water?" "water man you heard the man, water". :rofl:

Dont you just love this guy.

"Ho knows dude, they could be made of water, I don´t even know" "water?" "water man you heard the man, water". :rofl:

He must have smoked a lot of Salvia to be seeing aliens lol.

We should not talk to aliens, I am all for us discovering them ( from very far away and being undetected) but not a close encounter or screaming into space here we are!!!

Edited by chaoszerg

Whats to stop aliens turning up next week and announcing that 10 years ago our t.v signals started reaching them. They tell us all that they are very impressed with this Hitler dude and want to form an alliance with him because his ideology is like theirs.

Ah, the precept behind Carl Sagan's Contact.

I reckon any intelligent alien life-form viewing us, would think, "Cor, that's a gorgeous planet, nice place to live with lots of potential... shame that lot down there don't appreciate it, maybe we should eradicate the place of their moronic technology and abuse."post-58664-127219902093_thumb.jpg

Very cool story. Stephen Hawkins is probably the smartest person alive and if hes speaking seriously about

aliens coming here shouldn't ufos be taken more seriously ?

I reckon any intelligent alien life-form viewing us, would think, "Cor, that's a gorgeous planet, nice place to live with lots of potential... shame that lot down there don't appreciate it, maybe we should eradicate the place of their moronic technology and abuse."post-58664-127219902093_thumb.jpg

it's not the technology itself that's evil, it's when mankind thinks that it because of its technology it doesn't need to live in harmony with nature that leads to trouble, if you ask me.

Regarding some of the observations that have ben made in this thread, it does seem that people sometimes are keen to wee on the more "fluffy" kind of "Space Brothers" view of any possible extraterrestrials, but they do sometimes seem rather keen to embrace the notion that the aliens might be cold and hard and ruthless, even though that surely is just as much an anthropormorphisation as the "Space brothers" view. People also often say that aliens might be so completely alien to our way of thinking (like the Borg, perhaps) that we might not reognise them as intelligent lifeforms, but when it comes to the chance for some good old pessimism (the aliens will want to stamp us out like termites), they seem to accept that quite cheerfully.

And I don't care if there isn't such a word as anthropormorphisation, there is now.

Dont sweat it, GW... Im guessing that by the time aliens shows up to steal our stuff (if ever) we could send an armada of battle cruiser to kick their butts all over Neptune.

Hazzard the problem will be when they come to take all our resources we will all ,already be gone and will have used up all of earths goodies! Unless there intrested in toxic waste and trash.

Maybe they can collect the old Hadrware from our museums and seel it on Uni-bay or the likes?

Would be nice to of got to Know them right?

justDONTEATUS :rolleyes:

post-68971-127220568641_thumb.jpg

We should not talk to aliens, I am all for us discovering them ( from very far away and being undetected) but not a close encounter or screaming into space here we are!!!

Its funny how 3 months ago people raising concerns of there being more than one type of alien were being dismissed even on these boards by the majority of people. They were all 'aliens must be peaceful because they are advanced' types.

I say we turn off all radio and television broadcasting in the atmosphere and go for a fibre optic system. I think we should send missles to destroy the two voyager space probes. I also think we should scrap SETI and instead develop our telescope technology to the point where we can read the small print on a cigarette packet of some alien on a planet 100's of light years away.

Then we can observe them here from Earth. If they are advanced we should construct a particle accelator for launching microscopic space probes which would be sent to their planet to spy on them and learn their technological advances for our benefit. Then when we are comfortable we could beat them we should conquer and enslave them.

Yeah, when looking at space we tend to forget basic animal instinct. Likely if there's intelligent life out there, they're just as greedy, uncaring, and conniving as we ever were or will be. The Columbus analogy is a really good one. If some technologically superior aliens were to come in and say they wanna use this planet, get ready to bend over.

What's more, we'll be dealing with a race with no common ancestry. Even with most animals on Earth we share some common communication - growling/teeth=back off, low to the ground=submission, etc. We'll be facing the products of billions of years of independent evolution. It'd be like us trying to talk to a jellyfish.

I'm going to just say that at the moment, there is a good chance that no-one actually knows for sure what they are talking about regarding this subject, not Carl Sagan, not Michio Kaku, not even the famous Mr. Hawkings. All we have is theory. Highly informed and educated theories from highly informed and educated individuals, but theories nonetheless. All we have is a concept, and examples of life on one planet. We don't even know how many others there may or may not be. Hell, we do not know if our mathematical processes are 100% correct or not, or if our form of mathematics may even be relevant to a civilization ten thousand, a hundred thousand years in advance of us.

The facts are actually quite simple: if they are to come, there is little we can do to stop them. If they don't want to be here, it is pointless to bait them. And when we reach the capacity to explore space on a scale necessary to reach potential life-rich worlds, especially those that may potentially be home to advanced intelligent life, we had better go in reminding ourselves that we aren't exactly hot sh!t as Hollywood would have us believe. Or, we as a species may be in for a universe of PAIN.

I'm going to just say that at the moment, there is a good chance that no-one actually knows for sure what they are talking about regarding this subject, not Carl Sagan, not Michio Kaku, not even the famous Mr. Hawkings. All we have is theory. Highly informed and educated theories from highly informed and educated individuals, but theories nonetheless. All we have is a concept, and examples of life on one planet. We don't even know how many others there may or may not be. Hell, we do not know if our mathematical processes are 100% correct or not, or if our form of mathematics may even be relevant to a civilization ten thousand, a hundred thousand years in advance of us.

This is relevant to something that occurred to me the other day: our belief of what is and isn't possible is based on the Theory of Relativity and supplementary theories, isn't it; but the only data that we have to go on is what we know to be possible on Earth. How do we know that because something appears to be impossible acording to what we know, that that means that it must be the same everywhere? Are we absolutely sure that the very speed of light is an absolute constant? What if that is different depending on where you are, like gravity? What if, in short, everything is relative, including relativity??? >:-O

What a nice prize Earth is. Almost 7 billion eatable slaves experienced at pillaging resources. The motherships are lining up for indenpendence day just like in the movie, but they don't want to kill us, not until their hungry.

Edited by Astute One

IF and i mean 'IF' aliens do exist out there, then i feel they would be veggies not meaties, as we evolved from carrot munchers to this modern day wreck we call our lives, i feel they would have reverted back to original state :rolleyes:

Edited by Belial

IF and i mean 'IF' aliens do exist out there, then i feel they would be veggies not meaties, as we evolved from carrot munchers to this modern day wreck we call our lives, i feel they would have reverted back to original state :rolleyes:

Hitler was a vegetarian! :w00t:

There is not one shred of evidence or piece of logical thinking to suggest aliens should be vegatarians.

Humans are not nor have ever been vegatarians we are omnivores and eating meat has allowed us to develop larger brains due to the extra proteins and nutrients. Whilst your views are not endangering the species some out there have the same mentality when it comes to aliens being peaceful, loving, caring and friendly.

None of it is based on logic or evidence but the aims, wishes and beliefs of dangerous and foolish fantacists.

Edited by Alien Being