Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Great Interview with Dr Richard Haines.

Great interview with Dr Richard Haines from the National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena (NARCAP) which does a good job of dispelling many of the misconceptions and stereotypes made about the UFO/UAP subject - Dr Haines goes into quite comprehensive detail about military/civilian pilot sightings, electromagnetic interference effects and the 3400 actual unknown reports collated from aviation professionals so if anyone hasn't heard it, it's well worth a listen (preferably before posting).

The Paracast - Dr. Richard F. Haines.

942a1eb9a2da.jpg

Dr. Richard F. Haines, Chief Scientist for the National Aviation Reporting Center on Anomalous Phenomena (NARCAP), speaks at length about airline sightings, airline safety, and his extensive research into these strange aerial mysteries.

Link

Papers:

56 Pilot Sightings Involving Electromagnetic Effects

Aviation Safety in America: A Previously Neglected Factor

Other Technical Reports

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• karl 12

• DONTEATUS

• skyeagle409

• booNyzarC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good review of lecture given by Dr Richard Haines on the subject of pilot UFO reports:

Dr. Richard Haines is a Senior Research Scientist at the NASA-Ames Research Centre. He is best known for his work with pilots and their UFO sightings. Over the last 30 years he has been investigating the subject, he has amassed over 3000 pilot sighting reports..

During his 30 years of investigations Dr. Haines has established a percentage break down of what type of pilot has reported a UFO. From his 3000 odd reports from 1916 (WWI) to October 1996, military pilots have reported 52% of these sightings while commercial pilots represent 40%, private pilots 7% and less than 1% for test pilots. Of these sightings, most are seen in good weather and 30% are during the day while the remaining 70% account for the night. Approximately 3% of the total reports have experienced electromagnetic effects on instruments when a UFO is close to the aircraft; even dimming of the cabin lights has been reported. These effects have lasted for 5 seconds up to a staggering 180 minutes of flight time.

Link

Good review of lecture given by Dr Richard Haines on the subject of pilot UFO reports:

Link

Good stuff karl12 ! We Love to keep it up and positive!

Keep Looking Up ! :rolleyes:

post-68971-127361554672_thumb.jpg

Cheers Donteatus -that's one mighty fine looking barbeque you've got there. :yes:

Did you listen to the interview - it's probably one of the best ones I've heard about the UFO subject.

Another very interesting technical report from the NARCAP website dealing with 'under reporting bias' within the pilot community - as Dr Haines mentions in the interview, there are a huge number of military/civilian pilot sightings out there yet many are reticent to report their experiences due to fear of ridicule, damage to reputation, potential unemployment etc..

Aviation Safety in America: Under-Reporting Bias of Unidentified Aerial Phenomena and Recommended Solutions. Ted Roe

More info about Dr Richard Haine's work on Korean War UFO reports as mentioned in the initial interview:

Advanced aerial devices reported during the Korean war / Richard F. Haines - foreword by Jacques Vallee

882da709fe85.jpg

This is a presentation of data of 42 UFO sightings in or near Korea from 1950 through to 1954. Thirty one are official reports from American pilots taken from military records and ten are ground observations taken from Project Bluebook files. One is an interview, conducted thirty six years later with a GI who fired on a UFO in 1951. The descriptions of the events vary considerably in length and detail. The sighting reports are preceded by a brief description of both sides combat planes and capabilities.

Review (pdf)

Listed Korean UFO sightings (pdf)

Nice clip from the 1979 UFO documentary "UFOs Are Real" featuring a very young Dr Richard Haines and witness testimony regarding the Coyne incident.

Statement on the reality of UFOs by Doc Haines.

“Although I do not yet have enough reliable information concerning the relevant characteristics of the UFO phenomenon with which to form a scientific judgment of its “core” identity, I do believe that the phenomenon is objectively real; i.e., I believe that the many thousands of eyewitnesses around the world are experiencing UFO phenomenon in a manner very similar to the way any other human with normal sensory capabilities would perceive it if they happened to be present.”

Dr Richard Haines, NASA scientist, UFO researcher, author of several books on UFOs, expert on pilot UFO sightings

Link

Statement on the reality of UFOs by Doc Haines.

I commend you for your excellent content. Thanks!! thumbsup.gif

SkyEagle, appreciate the post mate - Dr Richard Haines is a very knowledgeable chap and has amassed quite a number of truly puzzling UFO incidents - here he is discussing the subject in a good documentary about pilot UFO reports:

Cheers.

Not only that but the Government has covered up most of the Reports from the late 60s when Skyeagle was in service in Vietnam, HAve a Great Memorial Day Skyeagle an to All our Veterans Here and Abroad.

It always makes me Think of My Dad ! Seezya! :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice chart compiled by NICAP:

What the pilots have seen.

This chart lists over 100 UFO sightings by pilots (AL=Airline pilot; M=Military; P=Private), the majority of whom reported typical geometrical objects such as discs and ellipses. The resulting patterns of the observations, and their strong similarity to reports by other reliable witnesses are readily apparent.

Link

Nice chart compiled by NICAP:

Good morning Karl, and thanks for posting the chart link. I really enjoyed the Paracast in your OP when I listened to it a month or so ago. Richard Haines has a really good head on his shoulders and is one of the researchers that I hold in high regard simply because he approaches this subject in an objective manner as far as I can tell.

Regarding the chart though, it looks like it only lists sightings from 1944 through 1963. I'm pretty sure that NICAP was in operation up until ~1980 or so. Do you happen to know if they might have collected reports between 1963 and 1980 that didn't get included in this chart? Perhaps they are sitting around in a box in someone's attic or something?

Good morning Karl, and thanks for posting the chart link. I really enjoyed the Paracast in your OP when I listened to it a month or so ago. Richard Haines has a really good head on his shoulders and is one of the researchers that I hold in high regard simply because he approaches this subject in an objective manner as far as I can tell.

Regarding the chart though, it looks like it only lists sightings from 1944 through 1963. I'm pretty sure that NICAP was in operation up until ~1980 or so. Do you happen to know if they might have collected reports between 1963 and 1980 that didn't get included in this chart? Perhaps they are sitting around in a box in someone's attic or something?

Hey Boonyzarc, thanks for the reply and you're certainly right about that Paracast interview - truly interesting stuff. :yes:

Regarding the NICAP link and pilot incidents from the intervening years, I don't know if you've seen it before but Domonic Weinstein has compiled a good catalog below and it appears there are quite a number of strange reports:

Catalogue of Military,Airliner and Private Pilots Sightings from 1916 -2000

(pdf):

http://www.ufoevidence.org/newsite/files/WeinsteinPilotCatalog.pdf

There are also these interesting Australian aircraft reports collated by Project1947:

Catalogue of Australian observations of UFOS from Aircraft crew members and passengers:

http://www.project1947.com/kbcat/kbair0505.htm

Aircraft /UFO Encounters prior to 1942:

http://www.project1947.com/jan42.htm

Cheers and a Happy Xmas!

Related documentaries:

Official FAA cockpit recordings of pilot UFO sightings

Black Box UFO Secrets

Pilot Reports / Eyewitness Testimony:

"This thing had to be going double-digit mach making turns that I didn't think were possible, breaking all the rules of physics,

The man that visited me later told me in no uncertain terms to keep quiet. He told me I would lose my pilot's license and it would be the end of my flying days, so for 30 years I've said nothing"

Retired Air Force pilot Milton Torres discussing his F-86D Sabre fighter jet UFO incident in 1957 in which he was ordered to shoot down a UFO hovering over the British countryside.

Air Force Times Interview, Oct 22nd, 2008.

"An object 'like an oblong pearl' drew steadily closer until perhaps a mile away when, right under my gaze as it were, it suddenly vanished. . . .But it reappeared close to where it had vanished. . . .It drew closer. I could see the dull gleam of light on nose and back. It came on, but instead of increasing in size, it diminished as it approached! When quite near, it suddenly became its own ghost. For one second I could see clear through it and the next. . .it had vanished."

Sir Francis Chichester -June 10, 1931 ,Flying in the Gypsy Moth over the Tasman Sea.

"It is impossible for any man-made machine to make a sudden appearance in front of a jumbo jet that is flying 910 kilometers per hour and to remain in steady formation paralleling our aircraft. ... Honestly, we were simply breathtaken."

Japan Airlines pilot Kenju Terauchi in 1986

"Headquarters wouldn't let us go after it and we played around a little bit. We got to watching how it made 90 degree turns at this high speed and everything. We knew it wasn't a missile of any type, so then we confirmed it with the radar control station, and they kept following it, and then it crashed somewhere off between Texas and the Mexico border."

Colonel Robert Willingham, USAF from an Sworn Affidavit in the 1970's when discussing a sighting of a UFO whilst he was navigating an F94 jet on September 6th 1950.

"It appears to be a metallic object...tremendous in size, directly ahead and slightly above.I am trying to close for a better look."

Captain Thomas Mantell, USAF,1948. Last words.

"From their maneuvers and their terrific speed I am certain their flight performance was greater than any aircraft known today".

Colonel Carl Sanderson

USAF, commenting on his sighting of two circular silver UFOs in close proximity to his plane over Hermanas, New Mexico. The UFOs were said to make a series of seemingly impossible maneuvers before disappearing at an astonishing speed and showing up again over El Paso, Texas.

"We had many adventures flying under primitive conditions in the frozen north, but none compared with this." "I looked back and saw something that didn't make sense," "It was nothing like flying machines of that period," "It was hexagonal, flat, and seemingly made of aluminum or some other metal, with no breaks in the surface and no rivets." "At the time, I had a spooky feeling. I can't explain it. It was as if I 'felt' the presence of whoever was inside that craft--and the feeling was hostile."

Lieutenant Colonel Peter Grunnet-Royal Danish Air force, describing incident in H. E. 8 seaplane over Greenland,1932.

"I don't know whether this story has ever been told or not. They weren't called UFOs. They were called enemy helicopters. And they were only seen at night and they were only seen in certain places. They were seen up around the DMZ in the early summer of '68. And this resulted in quite a little battle. And in the course of this, an Australian destroyer took a hit and we never found any enemy, we only found ourselves when this had all been sorted out. And this caused some shooting there, and there was no enemy at all involved but we always reacted. Always after dark. The same thing happened up at Pleiku at the Highlands in '69."

USAF Chief of Staff General George S. Brown

DoD Transcript of Press Conference in Illinois (10/16/1973).

"Based on my experience in fighter tactics, it is my opinion that the object was controlled by something having visual contact with us. The power and acceleration were beyond the capability of any known U.S. aircraft".

F-94 pilot, after encountering a UFO, 1952.

"As we approached this glow it turned to a monstrous circle of white lights on the water. Then we saw a yellow halo, small, much smaller than whatever it was launched from, about 15 miles away. As the UFO approached my plane and flew alongside it, we could see the domed craft which had a corona discharge."

Commander Graham Bethune, U.S. Navy -sighting from military flying from Iceland to Newfoundland,February 10, 1951.

"Pilot of helicopters wished to stress fact that object was of a saucer like nature, was stationary at 2000 ft. And would be glad to be called upon to verify any statements and act as witness".

Emergency Report from Maxwell Air Force Base on air space violation by UFO, 1954.

"It was made and flown by intelligent beings."

Major Shiro Kubuta, of Japan's Air Self-Defence Force (I think). Kubuta and his pilot, Lt. Colonel Toshio Nakamura, were scrambled in an F-4EJ to intercept what they were told was a Soviet Bomber.Once Airborne they were informed that their target was actually a UFO which had been sighted by ground and was being tracked on radar.

When they closed upon the red, disk-like UFO, it began to manoeuvre around the plane, causing Nakamura to take evasive action.

"[Object] described as flat on top and bottom and appearing from a front view to have round edges and slightly beveled ... No vapor trails or exhaust or visible means of propulsion. Described as traveling at tremendous speed.... Pilot considered by associates to be highly reliable, of mature judgment and a creditable observer".

Air Force intelligence report, following UFO sighting by F-51 pilot, 1951

"There was something definite in the sky...If it had proved to be hostile we would have destroyed it."

Major Gerald Smith, USAF--One of the F-106 pilots scrambled under orders from NORAD (North American Air Defense Command) to investigate a UFO over West Palm Beach, Florida on September 14, 1972. The UFO was viewed through binoculars by the FAA supervisor, George Morales, sighted by an Eastern Airlines captain, police and several civilians, as well.

"Suddenly, the lights went out. There appeared a yellow halo on the water. It turned to an orange, to a fiery red, and then started movement toward us at a fantastic speed, turning to a bluish red around the perimeter. Due to its high speed, its direction of travel, and its size, it looked as though we were going to be engulfed.

It stopped its movement toward us and began moving along with us about 45 degrees off the bow to the right, about 100 feet or so below us and about 200 to 300 feet in front of us. It was not in a level position; it was tilted about 25 degrees.

It stayed in this position for a minute or so. It appeared to be from 200 to 300 feet in diameter, translucent or metallic, shaped like a saucer, a purple-red fiery ring around the perimeter and a frosted white glow around the entire object. The purple-red glow around the perimeter was the same type of glow you get around the commutator of an auto generator when you observe it at night.

Captain of Navy R5D aircraft,February 8,1951.

Captain,crew members and passengers on a Navy R5D aircraft witness UFO whilst flying over the North Atlantic ocean,February 8, 1951.

"I was the pilot of the plane when we saw the UFO. Also on board were Governor Reagan and a couple of his security people. We were flying a Cessna Citation. It was maybe 9 or 10 o'clock at night. We were near Bakersfield, California when Governor Reagan and the others called my attention to a big light flying a bit behind my plane. It appeared to be several hundred yards away. It was a fairly steady light until it began to accelerate, then it appeared to elongate. Then the light took off. It went up at a 45-degree angle-at a high rate of speed. Everyone on the plane was surprised. Governor Reagan expressed amazement. I told the others I didn't know what it was...The UFO went from a normal cruise speed to a fantastic speed instantly...If you give an airplane power it will accelerate-but not like a hot rod, and that's what this was like"

Bull Paynter, a pilot with thousands of logged hours, in Sacremento California

Edited by karl 12

Thanks mate, I'll check those out. :tu:

No probs matey and happy reading - there's also a good article below about commercial airline UFO cases such as the Valencia incident, the Goose Bay incident, the Lisbon incident, the Canadian Pacific sighting etc and some other reports which are interesting reading for a

rainy day:

Passenger Plane Sightings

Statistics show that across the world UFO sightings occur at a rate of around one every two or three minutes. Not surprising then that pilots of commercial airliners should be high on the list of people to have most witnessed them. It is a fact that ever since the beginning of flight and commercial aviation strange craft or disk shaped objects have proved the bafflement of many a professional pilot. In many cases the sightings have been witnessed by the entire crew and passengers - literally hundreds of separate witnesses to each individual incident.

In the early days of commercial aviation these sightings proved something of a novelty. Pilots and air crew were happy to recount their experiences to any one who would listen. Gradually however this openness began to disappear. Airlines became increasingly sensitive to these issues, some even going as far as to prohibit their pilots from talking publicly of their sightings.

Link

A REVIEW OF SELECTED SIGHTINGS FROM AIRCRAFT FROM 1973 TO 1978

A REVIEW OF SELECTED AERIAL PHENOMENON SIGHTINGS FROM AIRCRAFT FROM 1942 TO 1952

UFO Sightings by Civilian and Military Pilots

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply matey and hope you have a mighty fine Xmas - as for pilot UFO encounters,I think one of the freakiest incidents has to be this one:

The Disappearance of flight N3808H, Puerto Rico, 1980:

Location. Mona Channel, Caribbean Ocean near Puerto Rico

Date: June 28 1980

At 1810 Jose Antonio Maldonado Torres and his friend, Jose Pagan Santos, took off from Las Americas International Airport in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic in an Ercoupe aircraft marked N3808H.

The Ercoupe was owned by Santo’s father Jose Pagan Jimenez, an Aero

Police officer in Puerto Rico. They were bound for home in Puerto Rico. At 2003 the Las Mesas radar site and several aircraft picked up radio transmissions from N3808H:

“Mayday, Mayday, Ercoupe ocho cero, eight zero, zero, Hotel. We can see a strange object in our course, we are lost, Mayday, Mayday.”

An Iberia Airlines flight IB-976 en route from Santo Domingo to Spain responded to the Mayday and received a reply:

“Ah we are going from Santo Domingo to ah San Juan International but we found ah a weird object in our course that made us change course about three different times we got it right in front of us now at one o’clock, our heading is zero seven zero degrees…our altitude one thousand six hundred a zero seven zero degrees…our VORs got lost off frequency…”

Iberia Flight IB-976 then relayed a message from San Juan Center asking N3808H to turn on their transponder.

N3808H replied that the Ercoupe was not equipped with a transponder. At 2006 Iberia IB-976 asked for their call sing and estimated position and received this reply:

“Right now we are supposed to be a about thirty five miles from the coast of Puerto Rico but we have something weird in front of us that make us lose course all the time I changed our course a second (unintelligible) our present heading right now is three hundred we are right again in the same stuff sir.”

They were not heard from again. At 2012 the Atlantic Fleet Weapons Range verified the last radar position of N3808H as thirty five miles west of Puerto Rico. A search that included Santos’s father was then mounted which centered on this last radar position. It was discontinued after two days when no trace had been found. No trace was ever found.

Flight recording - pilot's last transmission

Video link

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply matey and hope you have a mighty fine Xmas - as for pilot UFO encounters,I think one of the freakiest incidents has to be this one:

Cheers.

e

Indeed It was a Most intresting one ! I really would Like our Gov`s to Come Clean on the actual data they have on Radar Tracks and the real factual events that would Trip the People of this Planet on there Heads!

post-68971-0-17936600-1292796236_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Full version of Dr Richard Haines study into the Korean UFO reports on free E-book format issued on the 13th anniversary of the NICAP web site:

ADVANCED AERIAL DEVICES

reported

DURING THE KOREAN WAR

Richard F. Haines

d53817ee3adc.jpg

The period covered in this book, namely the first half of the Decade of the Fifties, should be of special interest to such readers. Dr. Haines has taken the intriguing and unusual vantage point of the Korean War, a conflict that placed thousands of Americans in a faraway land. Will we find that their experiences with flying disks of unknown origin matched those of the folks back home? With the enormous detection and tracking power at their disposal, what did the U. S. Armed Forces learn about the elusive objects? The answers are clearly important for our understanding of the overall phenomenon..

Many of the cases he cites are fascinating, but the reader will want to study with special care the sighting near Chorwon in the Spring of 1951 mentioned in Chapter Two, an event in which an entire artillery unit fired at a hovering disk displaying remarkable properties. In my opinion it is one of the most significant reports in the entire literature because of the rich combination of physical and physiological facts it provides.

Many other periods in the tumultuous history of UFO reports should be analyzed in the manner used here by Dr. Haines. Now that he has shown us how to conduct such an analysis, it is my hope that others will undertake this interesting and rewarding task.

Jacques Vallee

Table of Contents