Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Psychological Question

LucidElement

I was asked an interesting question the other day.. "If you read Freud's work or pavlov, ect...., how does their teachings interest your life or my personal aspects on things.?"

I thought about frued and just figured that his findings and recognitions on the unconscious mind were flabbergasting. He is by far (to me, that is) the most intellectual psychologist to come through the game.

What about you guys? would you agree or disagree?? also, if not Freud then who would you choose?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LucidElement

• jrree57

• nohands

• Mr.Thick

my psychologist retired :no:

And my psychiatrist flew back to pakinstan

Edited by nognome

Carl Jung and Alan Watts.

I was asked an interesting question the other day.. "If you read Freud's work or pavlov, ect...., how does their teachings interest your life or my personal aspects on things.?"

I thought about frued and just figured that his findings and recognitions on the unconscious mind were flabbergasting. He is by far (to me, that is) the most intellectual psychologist to come through the game.

What about you guys? would you agree or disagree?? also, if not Freud then who would you choose?

I have not read any Frued, but I totally love C Jung ... I want to get his Red book, I have referenced him sooooo many times along my journey ie) shadows, archtypes

freud, jung, etc....

they all teach us that this earth is just a dream...

if all of us realized it maybe there would be no hunger, pain, war, loneliness...

but again its all part of the dream....

even i cant realize it....

grrrrrrr

nohands.. can you tell me more specifically or find me a website where he talks about that? I never understood him to theorize that?

I like Jung but was intrigued by Freud's early works. By the standards of many, they were quite a challenge. As many know Lucid Element Freud worked with a certain group of women.

Have you ever seen the drawings of women related to his written works?

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

just search jung in the web...

im embarrassed that i neither find a site which composed of all jung's writings..

so just search...

sorry

First off, let me just say that I am majoring in psychology, so I've learned a lot about Freud. With that being said, I absolutely cannot stand Freud ever since I learned his explanation for why people molest young children. His reasoning was, put simply, "they wanted it".

Seriously!? Ugh. That just sickens me. And it's also believed that he molested his daughter, Anna Freud. However, that can't be proven. There is however a letter that she wrote which she doesn't want to be opened until 2020. I wonder what that letter says....

Also, his entire psychosexual theory is ridiculous. To suggest that children have sexual instincts from birth is, in my opinion, complete idiocy. Then, Freud further develops his theory to suggest that all children have a desire to sleep with their opposite sex parent, which is how he came to believe that "children are molested because they want it". That's just sick.

And my last point is that he believes that all of adults problems are because of events that happened in one's childhood. I personally believe that what happened in the past should not be the focus of any patients psychological treatment. Because of this I disagree with psychoanalytic therapy. I believe client centered therapy is the way to go.

Whenever Freud comes up, I can't wait for the module to be over. Even both of my professors cannot stand his ideas, but teach it because it's part of the course.

That being said, I do find his ideas about the "unconscious" mind to be a little intriguing, more specifically the idea that dreams are the "Royal Road to the Unconscious". However, his beliefs about all childhood issues greatly overpowers my curiosity about his other ideas.

A psychologist that I do agree with is Eric Erikson. In contrast to Freud's psychosexual theory, Erikson created his psychosocial theory of development. To me, it makes more sense if you actually read through it instead of believing that children have sexual desires from the moment they are born.

Also, Pavlov's discovery about conditioning is amazing to me. I have done experiments using classical conditioning myself to see if I could get desirable results. It actually works! Pavlov (although accidentally) made a fine discovery.

I'd be interested to know what exactly you guys find interesting about Freud's research though.

Mr. T

2020 isn't that far away from now, I'll still be alive so..10 more years to go, lets start the countdown! lol While Freud did have sparks of genius, he also came up with as you said uhmm not so good reasoning and rather disturbing.

Edited by puridalan

Wasn't Freud also a coke addict ?

Mr. T

2020 isn't that far away from now, I'll still be alive so..10 more years to go, lets start the countdown! lol While Freud did have sparks of genius, he also came up with as you said uhmm not so good reasoning and rather disturbing.

Yes! I'm anxious to find out what is in the letter.

And yeah, like I said I find some of his ideas interesting, but there were more things that were so bizarrely wrong in my opinion.

Wasn't Freud also a coke addict ?

Hahaha.

Well, I haven't heard that one but honestly I wouldn't doubt it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sorry

Freud was a master in his own right,

His ideas on the reality and the mind changed western culture forever. A word-ologist created terms like psychology and para-phraxes, psychosis, neurosis, etc. Now how can someone come up with a names like paranoid, mani n-depresent but these are now house hold word or terms.

I also like Erik Erikson's theories much better than Freud's in regards to childhood development.

http://www.learningplaceonline.com/stages/organize/Erikson.htm

First off, let me just say that I am majoring in psychology, so I've learned a lot about Freud. With that being said, I absolutely cannot stand Freud ever since I learned his explanation for why people molest young children. His reasoning was, put simply, "they wanted it".

Seriously!? Ugh. That just sickens me. And it's also believed that he molested his daughter, Anna Freud. However, that can't be proven. There is however a letter that she wrote which she doesn't want to be opened until 2020. I wonder what that letter says....

Also, his entire psychosexual theory is ridiculous. To suggest that children have sexual instincts from birth is, in my opinion, complete idiocy. Then, Freud further develops his theory to suggest that all children have a desire to sleep with their opposite sex parent, which is how he came to believe that "children are molested because they want it". That's just sick.

And my last point is that he believes that all of adults problems are because of events that happened in one's childhood. I personally believe that what happened in the past should not be the focus of any patients psychological treatment. Because of this I disagree with psychoanalytic therapy. I believe client centered therapy is the way to go.

Whenever Freud comes up, I can't wait for the module to be over. Even both of my professors cannot stand his ideas, but teach it because it's part of the course.

That being said, I do find his ideas about the "unconscious" mind to be a little intriguing, more specifically the idea that dreams are the "Royal Road to the Unconscious". However, his beliefs about all childhood issues greatly overpowers my curiosity about his other ideas.

A psychologist that I do agree with is Eric Erikson. In contrast to Freud's psychosexual theory, Erikson created his psychosocial theory of development. To me, it makes more sense if you actually read through it instead of believing that children have sexual desires from the moment they are born.

Also, Pavlov's discovery about conditioning is amazing to me. I have done experiments using classical conditioning myself to see if I could get desirable results. It actually works! Pavlov (although accidentally) made a fine discovery.

I'd be interested to know what exactly you guys find interesting about Freud's research though.

• 3 weeks later...

I once asked my former psychologist what he though about Freud's teachings. He said that they are very outdated concepts that have no real use in modern day psychiatry.

I would have to agree with him, although I recognize his small contributions to the field. He opened up the discussion about sexuality and it's relation to a person's personality. I don't find many of his theories that credible when taken against the more modern day ones.

What made Freud great was his innovative approach to thinking. The same thing that makes any great thinker great. He shows a different way to look at the same thing. From this different way it is then possible to establish more points of perception to perceive the same thing. This is the result when thinking occurs amongst thinkers.

"The greatest Psychologist" is your own brain.

Well, with Pavlov's experiments, if you act a certain way when you hear a bell ring, you bet it effects your life.Freud and Jung were both ground breakers in the field of psychology, in general, psychological analysis, dream interpertation(if you go for thhat interest), the recognition of the "ID", "EGO" and "SUPER EGO". They were not necessarily the "best" but I think had tthe best insight into thhe human psyche. But I'm just you run-of-the-mill psychologist/therapist, so what do I know? Flashback to too many Psych. classes and doing my disertation. :)

Edited by Graveyard Hound

According to wiki:

Cocaine

As a medical researcher, Freud was an early user and proponent of cocaine as a stimulant as well as analgesic. He wrote several articles on the antidepressant qualities of the drug and he was influenced by friend and confidant Wilhelm Fliess, who recommended cocaine for the treatment of "nasal reflex neurosis". Fliess operated on the noses of Freud and a number of Freud's patients' whom he believed to be suffering the disorder, including Emma Eckstein, whose surgery proved disastrous.[31]

Freud felt that cocaine would work as a panacea and wrote a well-received paper, "On Coca", explaining its virtues. He prescribed it to his friend Ernst von Fleischl-Marxow to help him overcome a morphine addiction acquired while treating a disease of the nervous system.[32] Freud also recommended cocaine to many of his close family and friends. He narrowly missed out on obtaining scientific priority for discovering its anesthetic properties of which he was aware but had not written extensively. Karl Koller, a colleague of Freud's in Vienna, received that distinction in 1884 after reporting to a medical society the ways cocaine could be used in delicate eye surgery. Freud was bruised by this, especially because this would turn out to be one of the few safe uses of cocaine, as reports of addiction and overdose began to filter in from many places in the world. Freud's medical reputation became somewhat tarnished because of this early ambition. Furthermore, Freud's friend Fleischl-Marxow developed an acute case of "cocaine psychosis" as a result of Freud's prescriptions and died a few years later. Freud felt great regret over these events, dubbed by later biographers as "The Cocaine Incident".[citation needed] He managed to move on although some speculate that he continued to use cocaine after this event. Some critics have suggested that most of Freud's psychoanalytical theory was a byproduct of his cocaine use.[33]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud#Cocaine

So who knows.

There is a documentary on Youtube on Freud actually. That's pretty much where my understanding of him stems x).

Jung's take on archetypal personality is right on the money in my experience. Freud was a mess, total freak.