Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO hacker Gary McKinnon's extradition now on

Still Waters

Home Secretary adjournes judicial review hearing to consider issues relating to Scots computer hacker's case.

The extradition of Scots-born computer hacker Gary Mckinnon has been put on hold.

Mr McKinnon, 44, who was born in Glasgow and now lives in London, is wanted in the US for hacking into Pentagon computers.

His legal team confirmed that the Home Secretary has decided to postpone a judicial review hearing into his extradition that was due to be held next week so that the issues surrounding the case can be considered.

Mr McKinnon was arrested in 2002 after American prosecutors accused him of hacking into military computer systems, the Department of Defence and Nasa, as well as sabotaging vital American military systems after the terror attacks of September 11, 2001.

They say his actions caused hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of damage but Mr McKinnon says his motivation for his unauthorised use of sensitive networks was to find information on UFOs held by the US government.

If found guilty, Mr McKinnon could face up to 70 years in jail in the US.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alien Being

• morrison1976

• The Silver Thong

• Hazzard

I suspect he, did not find any thing, or is not being truthful about what he was looking for. IF he really did brake in to find UFO files and then did not post them if he found any I would be surprised.

"Well !...for me...this is really good news!...Since I heared of Mr. McKinnon's plight, I have worried for the mans liberty!...He seemed doomed!..But , from the moment 'Nick Clegg' blagged his way to a 'partial power share!'...I knew that all was not lost!...He's publicly been a supporter of the non extradition movement of Gary McKinnon!!....Besides...I dont really know, what the americans were making such a fuss about?....They should be offering him a job! (Internet security consultant)..instead of a 70 year stretch!! :lol:

I suspect he, did not find any thing, or is not being truthful about what he was looking for. IF he really did brake in to find UFO files and then did not post them if he found any I would be surprised.

1) He's already spoken about what he claims to have found

2) He was on a dial-up connection, as was standard for that time, downloading an image at even the lowest possible colour resolution would've still taken a very, very long time and he was disconnected before he could even do that

Granted, though, he could've taken a print-screen of the very low res image he half downloaded on the remote desktop software he was using, but if he really did see what he thought to be a UFO image then you can't blame him for not thinking of pressing his print-screen button straight away, especially when he didn't know he was about to be disconnected.

I feel for this guy, whether or not he found UFO images is beside the point and nobody will ever know that. It's just a damn shame how he's been treated, he should stand trial here and evidence should be presented for what he supposedly damaged. There is no way you can cause that amount of damage by using remote desktop software. You could claim a small amount back on administrative fees and possible compensation for eradicating the software from the computer, but that would be peanuts.

Still waters,

thanks so much for posting this! I have been trying to follow the case but there's not a lot in the press here. Last I'd heard he had been taken the jail, but I couldn't confirm it and thought it if got to that it would be huge mainstream news.

Now I know where things are at!

Thank yoU!

FREE GARY!!!!!

Still waters,

thanks so much for posting this! I have been trying to follow the case but there's not a lot in the press here. Last I'd heard he had been taken the jail, but I couldn't confirm it and thought it if got to that it would be huge mainstream news.

Now I know where things are at!

Thank yoU!

FREE GARY!!!!!

Why isn't this talked about on cnn ? I kinda question that if we have a secret space program how someone hacks into that. I mean wouldn't it be beyond top secret and be guarded with a number of layers of security ? ? On the other hand why is the government making such a big deal out of this and if true would explain alot of the ufo sightings

Edited by ohio state buckeyes

I'm not sure why we should have pity on a computer hacker. Are the US charges trumped up?

Why isn't this talked about on cnn ? I kinda question that if we have a secret space program how someone hacks into that. I mean wouldn't it be beyond top secret and be guarded with a number of layers of security ? ? On the other hand why is the government making such a big deal out of this and if true would explain alot of the ufo sightings

This is one of those situations where the government doesn't want to draw attention from the general public. If the news media aren't covering, this means they have been tapped on their shoulders and "silenced". But that's just a conspiracy theory on my part.

I'm not sure why we should have pity on a computer hacker. Are the US charges trumped up?

Yeah, I think so. He has lots of youtube interviews. Some are pretty good. Is any of it true? Who knows...From what I hear, the damage he did was minimal, and his curiosity was pretty innocent. Hell, if I knew how, I do it for sure and definitely release all the free-energy plans and secret alien stuff!

What is freaky is the amount of non-alien activity he discovered. Apparently the US military is riddle with all kinds of hackers, and their security was emarrassingly lax. Gary is either an unfortunate scape goat or he found something. Or both.

However, it could also be that the US wants him locked away for 70 years to stop him doing this:

Edited by Murrangurk

Gary McKinnon has no argument.

It is all of our duties to accept personal responbility for our actions in life and this man is no exception. He knew he was committing a crime and as such he should be deported right away.

The argument that we shouldnt hand him over to the Americans because they could make him serve a 70 years prison sentence is ridiculas. The US justice system is fair and his punishment will be appropiate. Furthermore if they did give him 70 years its the scumbags own fault.

"Well !...for me...this is really good news!...Since I heared of Mr. McKinnon's plight, I have worried for the mans liberty!...He seemed doomed!..But , from the moment 'Nick Clegg' blagged his way to a 'partial power share!'...I knew that all was not lost!...He's publicly been a supporter of the non extradition movement of Gary McKinnon!!....Besides...I dont really know, what the americans were making such a fuss about?....They should be offering him a job! (Internet security consultant)..instead of a 70 year stretch!! :lol:

So if someone breaks into your car, you won't prosecute them just hire them right?

So if someone breaks into your car, you won't prosecute them just hire them right?

Hes a criminal scumbag.

I should say a geeky one too as he needs to get a life instead of playing at hacking.

Edited by Alien Being

Cheers for the Free Gary link, I'll definately check it out.

But, damn you to hell for that Wanton Child stuff! Now that's stuck in my head! lol

I dont know why people are supporting the weirdo.

If I was home secretary I'd make an example of him.

"Hold on 'a cotton-picken-minute' there 'digitalartist!'.."...Are you trying to start a 'UFO -HIDING IN -MY-CAR CONSPIRACY!!'....Well you can just cut that out matey!! :lol: ....I mean, Come off it mate!....70years for computer hacking?...Are you for real!?....How long do pimps, murderers and mother rapists get where you come from!!??...No-one! , got killed!...Hurt! or even Cedit card cloned!!....Just a 'bruised Ego' for one of the most powerful organisations in the world!!...Give me a break!...and "GIVE GARY A JOB!!".. :hmm:

"Hacking" is really the wrong terminology to use. He simply logged on to an open system with no passwords involved. If an organization uses open computers, they are fair game for anyone with minimal knowledge.

"Hold on 'a cotton-picken-minute' there 'digitalartist!'.."...Are you trying to start a 'UFO -HIDING IN -MY-CAR CONSPIRACY!!'....Well you can just cut that out matey!! :lol: ....I mean, Come off it mate!....70years for computer hacking?...Are you for real!?....How long do pimps, murderers and mother rapists get where you come from!!??...No-one! , got killed!...Hurt! or even Cedit card cloned!!....Just a 'bruised Ego' for one of the most powerful organisations in the world!!...Give me a break!...and "GIVE GARY A JOB!!".. :hmm:

70 years wow sounds like they want to keep what he saw locked up till he's dead LOL well thats what it looks like, sorta. Ya give the guy 2 yrs and point made imo.

"Hacking" is really the wrong terminology to use. He simply logged on to an open system with no passwords involved. If an organization uses open computers, they are fair game for anyone with minimal knowledge.

So if you should leave your home unlocked it's ok for someone to walk in and poke around, maybe take a few things as well, after all you left the door open.

Amazing what people believe :blink:

Silver Thong Has hit it right on the Head ! The Funny thing is he`s already cut a deal with the Klingons!

And now The Earth will fo sure be Invaded!

I did not say what he did was ok, but hacking is not the right term to use. You obviously do not know what hacking is.

This sad case should be deported as he is a criminal who has comitted a serious crime.

Once on trial the US should assess the damage he has done, the costs involved in catching him, the costs involved in putting right the damage and the sensitivity of any classified data he may have seen.

National Security is more important than some computer hacking loser so if he has had access to classified data which could cause serious problems if it found its way to the Chinese or Russians then by all means the US should lock him up for the full 70 years.

No sympathies for him but the phrase 'get a life' comes to mind.

This sad case should be deported as he is a criminal who has comitted a serious crime.

Once on trial the US should assess the damage he has done, the costs involved in catching him, the costs involved in putting right the damage and the sensitivity of any classified data he may have seen.

National Security is more important than some computer hacking loser so if he has had access to classified data which could cause serious problems if it found its way to the Chinese or Russians then by all means the US should lock him up for the full 70 years.

No sympathies for him but the phrase 'get a life' comes to mind.

It's not a serious crime in the slightest.

The internet is not a house. If you have one of the world's biggest military industrial complexes with entirely open networks and no passwords, but give 70yrs to anyone that walks right in?

Even if you left your house open, and I saw the door flapping in the wind, and I walked in out of curiosity, "what's going on in here? Is everything alright?" Or more to the point - "I heard there was an alien in this house. I'm gonna check it out." And I didn't take or destroy anything, YOU WOULD GIVE ME 70 YEARS?????

The US should eat humble pie and FIX its security system.

What is more terrifying is that while he was in these networks, he came across Russian, Chinese and other hackers. It's like a regular haunt for these guys. Why is gary the only one to get busted?

Because it was SO easy to get in, he didn't bother to cover his tracks. When he was busted, the Govt had been watching him for more than 6 months. They knew he was not a danger. Otherwise they be on him immediately. So they stall any kind of intervention for half a year and then try and give him 70 years? pathetic.

If I raped and murdered my nieghbors, I wouldn't get 70 years. For gods sake get some perspective! The US will make itself a laughing stock if it pursues this, destroy its relations with its ALLIES, let alone its enemies, or worse - confirm it is hiding off-world govt agents and alien contact.

"Why isn't this talked about on cnn ?"

Exactly. Why do you suppose that is? Can you imagine the media uproar that will surely take place if the US govt is stupid enough to extradite him on the charges they quote? Everyone will associate him with UFOs. I see loads of shirts, internet banners, stickers, rallys, etc being done up for this if this goes through.

The absolute dumbest thing the US can do at this time is extradite. if they don't want additional attention brought to UFOs, then they should let it drop and get better computer security.