Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cambodian 'jungle woman' flees back to wild

Still Waters

Cambodia's "jungle woman", who spent 18 years living in a dense forest, has fled back to the wild after struggling to adapt to society.

Rochom P'ngieng, now 29-years-old, first disappeared into thick hilly jungle in 1989 when she was a little girl. She was "discovered" in early 2007 and reunited with her family.

However, attempts to reintegrate her have failed. She has not learnt either of the local languages, Khmer or Phnang, prefers to crawl rather than walk, refuses to wear clothes and has made several attempts to return to the forest where she grew up.

Her father, Sal Lou, a policeman, said that she had been making progress recently, but disappeared on Tuesday evening. "She took off her clothes and ran away from the house without saying a word to any of our family members," Mr Lou said.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistydawn

• Wickian

• BaneSilvermoon

• adrenochromevortex

Well, a woman her age has a right to decide for herself where she wants to be I guess. Just because she doesn't know the language and can't adapt to society doesn't make her mentally handicapped enough to take that right away from her.

I think in my country I would be held in some sort of institution.

Probably, but that would be little more than imprisonment for someone who just wants to live in the wild. I don't think that constitutes as a mental illness.

Hell thong im surprised your not already in one, (Jokin with ya) I think if anyone striped naked up there they would last the first summer if they were lucky, Bears, cyotes, wolves, then they would simply freeze off come autumn, Down here in da southeast where im at the dam ticks would devour ya, lol, oh they are lousy here, As for the OP I believe this woman should just be left alone, its warm all the time there and shes figured out how to live and the society there allows for such thing it sounds like,

Pretty bizzare,

Sounds like she was utterly miserable trying to be "normal."

No doubt she's happier this way.

A child of nature at one with her world. Leave her alone.

"She has not learnt either of the local languages, Khmer or Phnang"

After about the age of 12, if a child has not learned to speak, then they will not become proficient in any language. She is way past that critical period.

Wow!! I've just read the article.... she and her sister both 'disappeared' and her sister has yet to be found. Apparently people had seen her with a naked man with a sword!! The people seem to be drenched in superstition too, what with all the animals the parents are going to sacrifice in a ceremony to get her back.

Did you see the end bit of the article too!!! 34 people hid in the dense jungle from 1979 until 2004!!! I mean 25 years, that must be incredibly dense indeed!

What! omg! I remember watching her on Destination Truth. I wonder what she's doing right now. Hope she's alright. Do you guys think she really was raised by some wild people? I think it's possible.

So very interesting. I hope they leave her alone however, she may be a member of that family but the jungle is her home.

She was young girl ,they didn't specify how young she was..did they? The point is when you are in isolation with no other human speaking no other language, during those critical years 3-7 if you do not pick up language you will not be able to learn language for the rest of your life.

I'd refer to this case as many others, not crazy, just didn't pick up language and now it is impossible to. She is what we'd probably call a 'feral child' tons of them happen each year...usually due to bad or lack of parenting. Who have to live with the animals, and take up their calls, and habits, leaving behind any other mental functioning bc the need to survive is greater. You can actually see brain size different for the rest of their lives, weight about half to a third less than a normal grown adult brains. Yes, they will remain usually unclothed and hunched over..and at this point its just best to let the girl live back in the wild alone from civilization.

Edited by puridalan

The article said she was 8 when she disappeared, she should have already learned their language and then forgotten it.

Well, I'm sure she'll be happier in the wild rather than attempting to learn languages over again or adapt to mainstream life with her parents. :yes:

I wish I could disappear in the wild. Get away from all the unnecessary problems in urban life. :ph34r:

The article said she was 8 when she disappeared, she should have already learned their language and then forgotten it.

The article also said she AND her sister disappeared. She was spotted with some man too, so she probably sees them as her true family.

The article also said she AND her sister disappeared. She was spotted with some man too, so she probably sees them as her true family.

It also said the man was believed to be a naked sword wielding forest spirit in a society that believes sacrificing 4 or 5 animals will bring the girl back. Maybe there is a man in the jungle too. Maybe not.

It also said the man was believed to be a naked sword wielding forest spirit in a society that believes sacrificing 4 or 5 animals will bring the girl back. Maybe there is a man in the jungle too. Maybe not.

Either way, I reckon she ran "back" to someone/something... maybe she was also running "from" someone/something.

Well, a woman her age has a right to decide for herself where she wants to be I guess. Just because she doesn't know the language and can't adapt to society doesn't make her mentally handicapped enough to take that right away from her.

aKuna ma ta da .. . .

Either way, I reckon she ran "back" to someone/something... maybe she was also running "from" someone/something.

/agreed

I contemplate on doing the same thing sometimes. Why would she want to be submerged into a society with rules and ways of "living". Thats not how life should be lived. Living in the woods as a real animal would be incredible

I contemplate on doing the same thing sometimes. Why would she want to be submerged into a society with rules and ways of "living". Thats not how life should be lived. Living in the woods as a real animal would be incredible

But just think of all the benefits she's missing out on.... bank accounts, taxes, voting in Elections, shopping at the 'Mall,' a nice high-rise apartment maybe in the city, sitting in traffic-jams on the tarmac'd roads, nice ready to eat pre-packaged foods with additives,.........

A child of nature at one with her world. Leave her alone.

Perfectly said :tu:

I think about doing it sometimes too LOL.