Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Effort to contain Gulf oil stalls with stuck

Grandpa Greenman

Jun 2, 1:58 PM (ET)

By GREG BLUESTEIN and BRIAN SKOLOFF

PORT FOURCHON, La. (AP) - As the crude crept closer to Florida, the risky effort to contain the nation's worst oil spill hit a snag Wednesday when a diamond-edged saw became stuck in a thick pipe on a blown-out well at the bottom of the Gulf.

Coast Guard Adm.Thad Allen said the goal was to free the saw and finish the cut later in the day. This is the latest attempt to contain - not plug - the gusher. The best chance at stopping the leak is a relief well, which is at least two months from completion.

"I don't think the issue is whether or not we can make the second cut.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Every time I read about another failure I get really p***ed. :angry:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• Grandpa Greenman

• ninjadude

• Black Hound

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really disgusting in my book, I know many have already said this but they certianly should have had a plan in place BEFORE this happened, You would think with all the rigs around the world at least one would have a way to handle this BS, :angry:

Im right there with ya Darkwind,

I would think that when those things are built they would have put in shutoff valves at various stages. That is standard in most industries.

I just hope someone can stop it before it gets into the "open sea" and starts heading up the East Coast.

This is really disgusting in my book, I know many have already said this but they certianly should have had a plan in place BEFORE this happened, You would think with all the rigs around the world at least one would have a way to handle this BS,

They do. They're called BLOW OUT PREVENTERS (BOP). It failed.

Every time I read about another failure I get really p***ed.

because they drilled for oil in the ocean in the first place, right?