Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

Riaan

[160/09]

NV STEM-LÉTH NER GELÁT ...

[Ottema/Sandbach p.217]

Nu het stamelen en de gelaatskleur ...

Now that stammering and blushing ...

could be:

Now that stammering nor expression ...

I think this translation is wrong, and that it should just be:

dutch: stem-geluid

english: (sound of the) voice

Edited by Otharus

I think this translation is wrong, and that it should just be:

dutch: stem-geluid

english: (sound of the) voice

No, at second thought, it must be "stem-leed", literally "voice-grief" (-sorrow or -pain); a hesitating voice, which is like stammering after all.

The expression is used two more times, p.158, line 31, and p.159, line 22.

LÉTH = leed (suffering, grief, sorrow, pain) is used many times in the OLB.

Jesus let himself be nailed to a wooden cross and got stabbed with a spear to finish him off.

This is about Odin:

The generally accepted meaning of Old Norse Yggdrasill is "Odin's horse". This conclusion is drawn on the basis that drasill means "horse" and Ygg® is one of Odin's many names. The Poetic Edda poem Hávamál describes how Odin sacrificed himself by hanging from a tree, making this tree Odin's gallows. This tree may have been Yggdrasil. Gallows can be called "the horse of the hanged" and therefore Odin's gallows may have developed into the expression "Odin's horse", which then became the name of the tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

In Rúnatal, a section of the Hávamál, Odin is attributed with discovering the runes. In a sacrifice to himself, the highest of the gods, he was hung from the world tree Yggdrasil for nine days and nights, pierced by his own spear, in order to learn the wisdom that would give him power in the nine worlds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin

Havamal (Words of the High One)

(W H Auden & P B Taylor's Translation of The Havamal)

(...)

Wounded I hung on a wind-swept gallows

For nine long nights,

Pierced by a spear, pledged to Odhinn,

Offered, myself to myself

The wisest know not from whence spring

The roots of that ancient rood.

They gave me no bread,

They gave me no mead,

I looked down;

With a loud cry

I took up the runes;

from that tree I fell.

(...)

http://www.odins-gift.com/pclass/havamalauden.htm

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/odins_magic.html

http://vikingraiders.yolasite.com/rules-regulations.php

http://runichammer.com/index.html

(and don't forget to read the whole text...)

The cross is probably the tree. Maybe even why the letter t is like a cross. I summised in my Basque thread that the double axe might actually represent the World Tree. The double axe is a t shape as well.

The word for knife in Basque is labana, it has the same lab beginning as labrys. A spear is like a knife.

I'd believe Odin is some kind of Jesus/Buddha.

These swastikas would be before Buddha's time I'd think...

659px-Etruscan_pendant_with_swastika_symbols_Bolsena_Italy_700_BCE_to_650_BCE.jpg

Edit to add pic link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Etruscan_pendant_with_swastika_symbols_Bolsena_Italy_700_BCE_to_650_BCE.jpg

Edited by The Puzzler

Since "Neef Teunis" in the OLB has been one of the main arguments to not take it seriously...

In my Old-Greek dictionary (Halberstadt, 1900);

translations between {..} added by me:

ἀ νεψι ός, ἀ νεψι ά = neef, nicht (broers- of zusterskinderen) {cousin (children of brothers or sisters)}

ἀ νεψι άδης, -άδοῦς = zoon van een neef of nicht {son of cousin}

ἀ νεψι ότης, -ητος = bloedverwantschap {consanguinity}

νέποδες = jongen, nakomelingen {youngs, offspring}

My Latin dictionary (Kramers, 1987):

nepos = 1. kleinzoon, plur.: afstammelingen, nakomelingen; 2. neef; 3. verkwister {1. grandson, plur. offspring, descendants; 2. cousin; 3. waster}

neptis = kleindochter {granddaughter}

On the web ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BC%80%CE%BD%CE%B5%CF%88%CE%B9%CF%8C%CF%82 ):

ἀνεψιός

From Proto-Indo-European *népōts. Cognates include Sanskrit नपात् (napāt), Avestan 𐬥𐬀𐬞𐬁𐬙 (napāt), Latin nepōs, and Old English nefa.

a first-cousin, cousin

~ ~ ~

Conclusion:

The suggestion made in OLB, that the origin of the name Neptune would be cousin or relative Tunis, is not as absurd as claimed by hoax-believers. In fact, it can hardly mean anything else.

Naphtali

(Redirected from Nephthalim)

According to the Book of Genesis, Naphtali ( /ˈnæftəlaɪ/; Hebrew: נַפְתָּלִי, Modern Naftali Tiberian Nap̄tālî ; "My struggle") was the second son of Jacob with Bilhah. (wiki) Greek: Nefthal(e)ím

~ ~ ~

Nephele

Punishment of Ixion: Nephele sitting at Mercury's feet. Roman fresco in Pompeii.

In Greek mythology, Nephele (Greek: Νεφέλη, from νέφος nephos "cloud"; Latinized to Nubes) was a cloud nymph who figured prominently in the story of Phrixus and Helle. (wiki)

Edited by Otharus

One of the most beautiful fragments of the OLB:

[093/13]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ THET ÔTHERA SKRIFT. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ .

FIFTIAN MONATHA NÉI THÉRE LERSTE ACHT.

WÉR ET FRJUNSKIP JEFTHA WINNE MÔNATH.

ALLERA MÀNNELIK JEF TO AN MERY FRU ÀND BLÍDE

ÀND NINMAN NÉDE DIGER THAN TO ÁKANE SINA NOCHT.

THACH VVR.ALDA WILDVS WÍSA

THÀT WÁKENDOM NAVT VRGAMLATH WRDE NE MÉI.

~ ~ ~

TO MIDNE FONET FÉST-FÍRJA

KÉM NÉVIL TO HULLANDE VSA VVRDA IN THIKKE THJUSTERNISE.

NOCHT RUNDE WÉI.

THA WÁKENDOM NILDE NAVT NE KÉRA.

~

THA STRANDWÁKAR WÉRON FON HJARA NÉD-FJURA HLÁPEN.

AND VPPA THA TO PÁDUM NAS NÉNEN TO BISJA.

~ .

THÁ NÉVIL EWÉI TÁCH

LOKTE SVNNE THRVCH THA RÉTA THÉRA WOLKUM VP JRTHA.

ALREK KÉM WITHER UT.

TO JUWGANDE ÀND TO JOLANDE.

THET JUNGK-FOLK TÁCH SJONGANDE MITHA GÜRBÁM

ÀND THISSE OVER-FULDE LUFT MITH SINA LIAFLIKA ÁDAM.

MEN THAHWILA THÉR ALREK IN NOCHT BÁJADE WAS VRRÉD LÁND.

MITH HORSUM AND RIDDERUM.

~ .

LIK ALLE ÀRGA WÉRON HJA HELPEN THRVCH THJUSTERNISSE.

ÀND HINNE GLUPATH THRVCH LINDA-WALD.IS PÁDA.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

NÉVIL

Ottema: nevel

Sandbach: fog

mist, cloud, fog

nifl - oldnorse

nevil - oldfrisian (Richthofen, 1840)

nebbal - oldsaxon

nevel - dutch

newel - afrikaans

niwl - welsch

nebel - german

niebla - spanish

névoa - portuguese

nebbia - italian

νεφέλη - greek

nebula - latin (cloud)

nuvola - italian

nube - spanish

nuvem - portuguese

núvol - catalan

The German Nibelungen — with the corresponding Old Norse form Niflung (Niflungr) — is the name in Germanic and Norse mythology of the royal family or lineage of the Burgundians who settled in the early 5th century at Worms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelung

The Nephilim (plural) are the offspring of the "sons of God" and the "daughters of men" in Genesis 6:4, or giants who inhabit Canaan in Numbers 13:33. A similar word with different vowel-sounds is used in Ezekiel 32:27 to refer to dead Philistine warriors.

Etymology

"Nephilim" (נְפִילִים) probably derives from the Hebrew root npl (נָפַל), "to fall" which also includes "to cause to fall" and "to kill, to ruin". The Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon gives the meaning as "giants" Robert Baker Girdlestone argued the word comes from the Hiphil causative stem. Adam Clarke took it as passive, "fallen", "apostates". Ronald Hendel states that it is a passive form "ones who have fallen", equivalent grammatically to paqid "one who is appointed" (i.e. overseer), asir, "one who is bound", (i.e. prisoner) etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

"probably"?

I don't think so!

Remember that the Greek priests who deified Minerva, and created a mythology around her, told the people that God had sent her on a cloud?

^_^

... prepare for one of the best otharisms so far.

Edited by Otharus

Ever heard of "Indo-European"??

There are words in most European languages that are very old.

We - Dutch, Belgiums, Brittish, Irish, Germans, French, Slavs, Italians, Greeks, Iranians, Indians, and so on split off from a 'mother' branch. And the origin of IE was somewhere between or north of the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea.

Ever heard of "Indo-European"??

You don't get it, ey?

niflung - neveling - nephilim ('giants')

nothing aliens or sons of the gods, just some tall people from the foggy north

Edited by Otharus

You don't get it, ey?

niflung - neveling - nephilim ('giants')

nothing aliens or sons of the gods, just some tall people from the foggy north

I got it, and it's bull.

You will have to prove first that Frisians/Nordics spoke like you think they spoke, thousands of years ago.

The OLB is not anything near proof.

I got it, and it's bull.

No you didn't, and no it isn't.

You will have to prove first that Frisians/Nordics spoke like you think they spoke, thousands of years ago.

Why, I showed that N*V*L / N*F*L / N*B*L words mean fog, mist, cloud in many (including very old) languages, and it makes more sense than the Hebrew "fallen", which is doubted to be the true meaning anyway. The consequences of this other meaning, if I'm right, are HUGE. It is worth thinking about it longer, than just a few nightly hours.

The OLB is not anything near proof.

I don't even need the OLB as proof.

It just inspired me to this revolutionary thought.

You feel insulted or something?

I didn't have the impression that you were a bible-worshipper, but it will probably be deeply rooted in your subconscious LOL.

I respect that your mind doesn't work the same way as mine.

But I hope you can imagine, that not everything that you don't immediately understand, has to be nonsense.

Edited by Otharus

I didn't have the impression that you were a bible-worshipper...

And even if you were, you should be curious of its true meaning, not just of the existing man-made interpretations.

Is it the pride of your Juweish roots that makes you want to believe that bible mythology is older?

Edited by Otharus

Of course I'm not suggesting that the 'Nephilim' from the bible are the Niflungen from the Edda, or the Nibelungen from the 'Nibelungenlied'.

Only that it has the same meaning;

Dutch: "nevelingen"; people from the mist, fog, cloud(s)

Rather than "fallen ones", which is not more than a hypothesis, but loads of people base their belief that they were aliens on it ('those who fell from heaven').

And that it makes more sense that they were just tall people from the North (just like the 'giants' and 'gods' of Roman and Greek mythology), than that they were supernatural giants, aliens or sons of god.

No you didn't, and no it isn't.

Why, I showed that N*V*L / N*F*L / N*B*L words mean fog, mist, cloud in many (including very old) languages, and it makes more sense than the Hebrew "fallen", which is doubted to be the true meaning anyway. The consequences of this other meaning, if I'm right, are HUGE. It is worth thinking about it longer, than just a few nightly hours.

I don't even need the OLB as proof.

It just inspired me to this revolutionary thought.

You feel insulted or something?

I didn't have the impression that you were a bible-worshipper, but it will probably be deeply rooted in your subconscious LOL.

I respect that your mind doesn't work the same way as mine.

But I hope you can imagine, that not everything that you don't immediately understand, has to be nonsense.

Heh, why should I be insulted?

And I don't think the European "NFL/NBL" has anything to do with those 'Nephilim'.

And then again, what has the Bible to do with what I said??

You come to conclusions about me like you come to conclusions about language...

But if there is any connection to Semitic in European languages, it most probably originated with the Phoenicians.

Edited by Abramelin

And even if you were, you should be curious of its true meaning, not just of the existing man-made interpretations.

Is it the pride of your Juweish roots that makes you want to believe that bible mythology is older?

You haven't read what I said a long time ago, I assume.

My roots are: Dutch, German, Basque, Russian-Jewish. Half of Europe added to my genes, lol. Add to that a haeavy load of Frisian, and you should know you are barking up the wrong tree.

Personally I vote for the Bsques as having one of the oldest traditions and language, but not like Puzz is doing in her thread about Trojans/Basques.

I know that I sometimes need some time to make my point, that what I try to say is not always immediately clear to others.

It's not nice when you immediately say that it is "bull", when you don't agree, or don't understand yet.

I interpret that as you being anoyed or otherwise negative.

But I admit there was some teasing (back) in my reply.

Seriously, I don't think the idea that nephil might be related to the word for fog/mist/cloud is nonsense.

If you think it is, please explain why.

Of course I'm not suggesting that the 'Nephilim' from the bible are the Niflungen from the Edda, or the Nibelungen from the 'Nibelungenlied'.

Only that it has the same meaning;

Dutch: "nevelingen"; people from the mist, fog, cloud(s)

Rather than "fallen ones", which is not more than a hypothesis, but loads of people base their belief that they were aliens on it ('those who fell from heaven').

And that it makes more sense that they were just tall people from the North (just like the 'giants' and 'gods' of Roman and Greek mythology), than that they were supernatural giants, aliens or sons of god.

'Nephilim' is a Hebrew/Semitic word and is not an Indo-Euopean word. Whoever tries to prove that the European NBL/NVL words originate in some Semitic language forgets Semitic is non-IE.

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/nevel

I believe that through the Phoenicians many Semitic words slipped into European languages, but not that it (or another Semitic language) forms the basis of European languages.

=

Maybe you have been thinking about the etymologies I posted about 'Nehalennia' of which one was based on Phoenician (nahal + aniah, together forming something like 'to guide boats'). But that was just one etymology: others are based on Celtic, German, and once I even fabricated an 'etymology' based on Finnish ("Maalähelläjään" or "Land near ice", which would once have been an appropriate name for Doggerland).

Edited by Abramelin

Naphtali

(Redirected from Nephthalim)

According to the Book of Genesis, Naphtali ( /ˈnæftəlaɪ/; Hebrew: נַפְתָּלִי, Modern Naftali Tiberian Nap̄tālî ; "My struggle") was the second son of Jacob with Bilhah. (wiki) Greek: Nefthal(e)ím

~ ~ ~

Nephele

Punishment of Ixion: Nephele sitting at Mercury's feet. Roman fresco in Pompeii.

In Greek mythology, Nephele (Greek: Νεφέλη, from νέφος nephos "cloud"; Latinized to Nubes) was a cloud nymph who figured prominently in the story of Phrixus and Helle. (wiki)

Just thinking out loud...

Nef-thalim

Nef-ele

Nef-tunis

=> all descendants from the 'Nef-ilim' or 'Nefil-im'??

=> nef, nep, naf, nap = relative, cousin, grandchild, kinsmen??

'Nephilim' is a Hebrew/Semitic word and is not an Indo-Euopean word.

Do you know the context in which the word is used in the bible?

But I'll bet there are others here who 'know' a lot about those Nephilim (think Sitchin and Von Däniken).

I know, that's what makes my idea highly relevant, as it is much more down-to-earth than those interpretations as well as the mainstream bible-interpretations.

Edited by Otharus

You haven't read what I said a long time ago, I assume.

My roots are: Dutch, German, Basque, Russian-Jewish. Half of Europe added to my genes, lol. Add to that a haeavy load of Frisian, and you should know you are barking up the wrong tree.

Personally I vote for the Bsques as having one of the oldest traditions and language, but not like Puzz is doing in her thread about Trojans/Basques.

I'll give you another word.

PRESTATU - prepare (Basque) /PRESTER - priest

What else is a priest than a preparer.

Don't bother linking me to priest etymology - I don't buy it. If it is in Greek from elder, one should consider where that came from into Greek - presbus as old man/elder, the elders were prestatu, preparers of the ancient rites, elders in cultures like Aboriginals are naturally the 'priests' - they prepare the rites for everyone else to follow...so, the Greeks just pick it out of the sky? Who had preists? Troy had many of them. The Iliad starts with the introduction of Apollo's priest, Chryses.

Big Daddy priest:

An alternative view is that pontifex means "preparer of the road", derived from the Etruscan word pont, meaning "road".[3] A minority opinion is that the word is a corruption of a similar-sounding but etymologically unrelated Etruscan word for priest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifex_Maximus

A PREPARER hey? From some "similar sounding but etymologically unrelated" Etruscan word for priest - I wonder what that word was...

But I'll save it for my Basque thread - just wanted to point out my opinion on the word Prester for priest.

Edited by The Puzzler

I know, that's what makes my idea highly relevant, as it is much more down-to-earth than those interpretations as well as the mainstream bible-interpretations.

I'm a huge believer that they were actually PEOPLE - like tall Nordic men roaming the plains of Mesopotamia or at least some kind of tall Scythian type - like leftover Gutians with their Norse sounding names who rampaged through Babylon with their uncouth ways, imagine, not offering your fish to Marduk first...barbarians.

Edited by The Puzzler

I'll give you another word.

PRESTATU - prepare (Basque) /PRESTER - priest

What else is a priest than a preparer.

Yes, makes sense to me.

Yes, makes sense to me.

:tu: