Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

Riaan

When the romans invaded Wales they destroyed the Ogham libraries on Anglessey. The druids of the celts used a spoken not a written language. If the frisians were connected to some celtic culture then they would most likley have acted in a similar way.

Is there anything from history that could relate to a similar persecution of the ancient running script items?

Here is a link on related themes of the OLB, I have not been through it all but it adds a different angle to what is being discussed.

http://www.coven-of-cythrawl.com/OAM_tradition_and_heritage.htm

Tha thêne Magy

that anda nós kryg , tha nam-er tha skênesta sinar Finna

and Magyara vrlovande ra ky mith golden horna , sa hja

ra thrvch vs folk fata dêdon, afterdam sina lêr vtbrêda.

When the Magy found this out, he took the handsomest of his Finns and Magyars, and promised them “red cows with golden horns” to let themselves be taken prisoners by our people in order to spread his doctrines.

ra ky....red cows?

http://www.archive.org/stream/thetoeralindabo01ottegoog/thetoeralindabo01ottegoog_djvu.txt

That is the OLB writing.

When the romans invaded Wales they destroyed the Ogham libraries on Anglessey. The druids of the celts used a spoken not a written language. If the frisians were connected to some celtic culture then they would most likley have acted in a similar way.

Is there anything from history that could relate to a similar persecution of the ancient running script items?

Here is a link on related themes of the OLB, I have not been through it all but it adds a different angle to what is being discussed.

http://www.coven-of-cythrawl.com/OAM_tradition_and_heritage.htm

Where was Ogham used? Ireland, Wales, England, and Scotland.

But the OLB script must have been used in an area the size of Europe, and if it's all true, even further than that.

The OLB often says something is written on the walls of a citadel. They didn't hide anything, and they wrote books and whatnot. Even if much of it was later destroyed by Christians, that still doesn't make it plausible that the OLB is all that is left of anything written by Frya's people.

Btw, you link to a site that's about the worst you can find about the OLB... When you read it, you will see they created a cult around the OLB.

Tha thêne Magy

When the Magy found this out, he took the handsomest of his Finns and Magyars, and promised them red cows with golden horns to let themselves be taken prisoners by our people in order to spread his doctrines.

ra ky....red cows?

http://www.archive.org/stream/thetoeralindabo01ottegoog/thetoeralindabo01ottegoog_djvu.txt

That is the OLB writing.

No, it's not 'red', it's something like 'them'... "vrlovande ra".

--

It's a know expression here, 'to promise someone cows with golden horns'.

I checked it a minute ago, and according to the translation of Overwijn (1941) it's indeed like I said.

Edited by Abramelin

LOL, just scroll up. amd you will see what YOU quoted from what *I* quoted from the OLB, the "Okke, my son".

Puzz, ruined citadels or not, we still find Roman stones with inscriptions, buried in the ground.

Same thing with Phoenician, Greek, Sumerian and other ancient civilizations.

I'm not sure what you mean but that is my post from page 5 when I joined the thread. I know you just said it too. Did you see my point, it was the same as you now think is a reason for it to be faked, that it's a recent copy but as I also said, that also legits it as well.

Yes, I know, but still, no one ever had a vendetta against Romans, Greeks or Sumerians like the Christians did against pagans.

Look at where you placed that lighthouse, a Roman lighthouse, on top of what? WHat did the Romans build it on? Which they did, numerous times, not to mention they were keen on flattening cities ie; Carthage, enslave everyone and take over everyone language. Also much of Europe is heavily built on now and in many places it just isn't viable to dig up areas. I'm sure many pagan citadels and even writings are long gone by now, burnt by the church or I'm yet to read the link from Slim's post but seems like it might give some reasoning too.

Where was Ogham used? Ireland, Wales, England, and Scotland.

But the OLB script must have been used in an area the size of Europe, and if it's all true, even further than that.

The OLB often says something is written on the walls of a citadel. They didn't hide anything, and they wrote books and whatnot. Even if much of it was later destroyed by Christians, that still doesn't make it plausible that the OLB is all that is left of anything written by Frya's people.

Btw, you link to a site that's about the worst you can find about the OLB... When you read it, you will see they created a cult around the OLB.

I agree that it would involve a complete and utter hatchet job on the previous culture of Europe except for what is contained in the OLB. It is not all that feasable I admit but what do we know of the history of Europe before the christian era. We know stuff but it is quite vague; gauls, celts and the tribes of Wotan. All of this could have been utilized by the OLB hoaxers but maybe it really does refer to an authentic group of 'water folk' in previous times.

The next book I have to read is on Europe in the Dark Ages so I'm hoping that will bring to light some decent facts. Of course they could be facts know by the OLB writers once again but finding a way out of this corner is a hard one.

Either it is real and all other evidence was skillfully erased or it is fake and the writers were incredibly skilled historians and fantasists.

It is a shame the translation was not red bull as I could have made something out of that. Please check my last link and follow the link for 'water witches' at the base of page. It talks about some other things I have mentioned previously.

I'm not sure what you mean but that is my post from page 5 when I joined the thread. I know you just said it too. Did you see my point, it was the same as you now think is a reason for it to be faked, that it's a recent copy but as I also said, that also legits it as well.

Yes, I know, but still, no one ever had a vendetta against Romans, Greeks or Sumerians like the Christians did against pagans.

Look at where you placed that lighthouse, a Roman lighthouse, on top of what? WHat did the Romans build it on? Which they did, numerous times, not to mention they were keen on flattening cities ie; Carthage, enslave everyone and take over everyone language. Also much of Europe is heavily built on now and in many places it just isn't viable to dig up areas. I'm sure many pagan citadels and even writings are long gone by now, burnt by the church or I'm yet to read the link from Slim's post but seems like it might give some reasoning too.

Well, I thought you couldn't remember the quote at the beginning of the OLB.

=

The Romans may have flattend things to build on, but why do we still find many traces of people from before the Roman conquest? Why do we still find Aztec inscriptions? Were the Christains nicer to the Aztecs than to the pagan Europeans??

Lol, you didn't read the link Jim provided, but you are already sure it will give answers............????

Hmm...

I agree that it would involve a complete and utter hatchet job on the previous culture of Europe except for what is contained in the OLB. It is not all that feasable I admit but what do we know of the history of Europe before the christian era. We know stuff but it is quite vague; gauls, celts and the tribes of Wotan. All of this could have been utilized by the OLB hoaxers but maybe it really does refer to an authentic group of 'water folk' in previous times.

The next book I have to read is on Europe in the Dark Ages so I'm hoping that will bring to light some decent facts. Of course they could be facts know by the OLB writers once again but finding a way out of this corner is a hard one.

Either it is real and all other evidence was skillfully erased or it is fake and the writers were incredibly skilled historians and fantasists.

It is a shame the translation was not red bull as I could have made something out of that. Please check my last link and follow the link for 'water witches' at the base of page. It talks about some other things I have mentioned previously.

Jim, I did read that site, long ago. Your 'water people' is about people 'dowsing for water', you know, with 2 bent wires, or a forked branch of a hazelnut tree.

You know, another way to prove anything of the OLB is when they start searching the Frisian islands, or the sea floor in the neighbourhood. If they drag up stones and artifacts with OLB type inscriptions, date it to be like 2000 years old, I will send Alewyn a few bottles of "Sonnema Beerenburg",

http://www.beleeffriesland.nl/typisch-fries/typisch-fries/fryslân-culinair/friese-dranken/de-eigenzinnigheid-van-sonnema.htm?steID=6&itmID=15967

:yes:

EDIT:

OK, they also lived on canals:

http://www.coven-of-cythrawl.com/water_witches.htm

Edited by Abramelin

No, it's not 'red', it's something like 'them'... "vrlovande ra".

--

It's a know expression here, 'to promise someone cows with golden horns'.

I checked it a minute ago, and according to the translation of Overwijn (1941) it's indeed like I said.

Maybe it is red ra is red, in the term of Sun.

Ra looks like his sun is pretty red to me...

220px-Re-Horakhty.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra

It's something like them...in what language? The language of the OLB? What is that language, it's not Old Frisian, so how do you really know what the term ra means in the OLB text? Maybe our English term for red really came from re/ra meaning sun/red. Many languages do not have colours like orange or yellow and basic colour terms are used for many different ranges of colour.

I think it's very likely ra means red.

The manuscript was originally thought to have been written in Old Frisian but according to Jensma "the syntax of this artificial language proves to be completely in line with modern, read: nineteenth-century Dutch/Frisian"

It's not Old Frisian and it's an artificial language he says so how can you translate the word ra, what you have done is translate it to Dutch/Frisian or something.

In Old Norse and English, look at it...

Fylliz fiǫrvi

feigra manna,

rýðr ragna siǫt

rauðom dreyra.

Svǫrt verða sólskin

of sumor eptir,

veðr ǫll válynd

Vitoð ér enn, eða hvat?[10] English:

It sates itself on the life-blood

of fated men,

paints red the powers' homes

with crimson gore.

Black become the sun's beams

in the summers that follow,

weathers all treacherous.

Do you still seek to know? And what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar%C3%B6k

Look at the word for red, it's RAgna. Crimson RAu-om.

Edited by The Puzzler

Well, I thought you couldn't remember the quote at the beginning of the OLB.

=

The Romans may have flattend things to build on, but why do we still find many traces of people from before the Roman conquest? Why do we still find Aztec inscriptions? Were the Christains nicer to the Aztecs than to the pagan Europeans??

Lol, you didn't read the link Jim provided, but you are already sure it will give answers............????

Hmm...

No, I didnt say I'm sure it will give answers, I said it seems like it will give some answers. Big difference. :yes:

It can be red I reckon. I think it's quite feasible most pagan things in Europe were erased. I'm getting to your link now.

Maybe it is red ra is red, in the term of Sun.

Ra looks like his sun is pretty red to me...

220px-Re-Horakhty.svg.png

It's something like them...in what language? The language of the OLB? What is that language, it's not Old Frisian, so how do you really know what the term ra means in the OLB text? Maybe our English term for red really came from re/ra meaning sun/red. Many languages do not have colours like orange or yellow and basic colour terms are used for many different ranges of colour.

I think it's very likely ra means red.

The manuscript was originally thought to have been written in Old Frisian but according to Jensma "the syntax of this artificial language proves to be completely in line with modern, read: nineteenth-century Dutch/Frisian"

It's not Old Frisian and it's an artificial language he says so how can you translate the word ra, what you have done is translate it to Dutch/Frisian or something.

In Old Norse and English, look at it...

Fylliz fiǫrvi

feigra manna,

rýðr ragna siǫt

rauðom dreyra.

Svǫrt verða sólskin

of sumor eptir,

veðr ǫll válynd

Vitoð ér enn, eða hvat?[10] English:

It sates itself on the life-blood

of fated men,

paints red the powers' homes

with crimson gore.

Black become the sun's beams

in the summers that follow,

weathers all treacherous.

Do you still seek to know? And what?

Look at the word for red, it's RAgna. Crimson RAu-om.

You know what? "Ra" is from "Rana", frog.

"Kermit, the Red Cow with the Golden Horns"

Jesus Puzz, are you researching something, or 'channeling' ???

You just want it to mean 'red', because your English translation says it's red, and it offers you another nice way of word-fk.

OK, then it's just Overwijn and me who say the 'ra' in that sentence means nothing but 'them'.

And it's just 17 million people who use a proverb, "to promise cows with golden horns", NOT RED cows with golden horns.

But hey, wait a few 100 years, and you can make up all the word-fk you please because The Netherlands will be gone.

------------

Here's Overwijn's version of the OLB (with original text):

http://94.215.66.137/Het%20Oera%20Linda%20Boek/Het%20Oera%20Linda%20Boek.pdf

Edited by Abramelin

And I have given you many examples of how easily I could translate lines from the OLB into Dutch/Old Dutch. A mere coincidence, no doubt...

I had to read books written in Old Dutch (19th century and earlier) in highschool.

It was so boring I thought I would die, but I do still remember a lot.

Whatever you want to call the language used, it's not ancient like in 1000 or more years old.

If you believe what Jensma said, you should also believe what he said about those linguistic anachronisms.

You want 'ra' to mean 'red', fine. So according to you there existed a proverb 'to promise red cows with golden horns'.

You know, I think they are writing a new edition of the "Van Dale". Maybe you could apply for a job as editor of that huge dictionary? It would sure make for an interesting read... and laugh.

Actually it's interesting that in the Ragnarok they give reference to 3 Roosters.

The völva then describes three roosters crowing: In stanza 42, the jötunn herdsman Eggthér sits on a mound and cheerfully plays his harp while the crimson rooster Fjalar (Old Norse "hider, deceiver"[11]) crows in the forest Gálgviðr. The golden rooster Gullinkambi crows to the Æsir in Valhalla, and the third, unnamed soot-red rooster crows in the halls of the underworld location of Hel in stanza.

I also notice that the word for sun is Sol. sólskin sunbeams

Edited by The Puzzler

And I have given you many examples of how easily I could translate lines from the OLB into Dutch/Old Dutch. A mere coincidence, no doubt...

I had to read books written in Old Dutch (19th century and earlier) in highschool.

It was so boring I thought I would die, but I do still remember a lot.

Whatever you want to call the language used, it's not ancient like in 1000 or more years old.

If you believe what Jensma said, you should also believe what he said about those linguistic anachronisms.

You want 'ra' to mean 'red', fine. So according to you there existed a proverb 'to promise red cows with golden horns'.

You know, I think they are writing a new edition of the "Van Dale". Maybe you could apply for a job as editor of that huge dictionary? It would sure make for an interesting read... and laugh.

Well, I've just about had enough of this anyway, laugh all you like. I know rana is frog from when I told you the Caltha was not a Calendula but a Ranunculus.

The name Ranunculus is Late Latin for "little frog," from rana "frog" and a diminutive ending. This probably refers to many species being found near water, like frogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranunculus

The word red comes from the Old English rēad.[4] Further back, the word can be traced to the Proto-Germanic rauthaz and the Proto-Indo European root reudh-. In Sanskrit, the word rudhira means red or blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red

Red in English comes from blood and the colour red. All those words are ra/re words. You are translating into Latin variations of words, which these words would not be in.

Yeah, I'm sure the word red comes from frog...

Well, I've just about had enough of this anyway, laugh all you like. I know rana is frog from when I told you the Caltha was not a Calendula but a Ranunculus.

The name Ranunculus is Late Latin for "little frog," from rana "frog" and a diminutive ending. This probably refers to many species being found near water, like frogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranunculus

The word red comes from the Old English rēad.[4] Further back, the word can be traced to the Proto-Germanic rauthaz and the Proto-Indo European root reudh-. In Sanskrit, the word rudhira means red or blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red

Red in English comes from blood and the colour red. All those words are ra/re words. You are translating into Latin variations of words, which these words would not be in.

Yeah, I'm sure the word red comes from frog...

I make an obvious joke, you start googling to post a respons and prove I am wrong, hahaha.

All re/re words, come on.

You are stuck on the word 'red', and nothing but a 2 letter word ("ra") can help you with that.

You know what "rad" (Dutch) means? Or 'rathor"?? Or "rader"? Maybe 'red' and 'redder' (more red)??

No.

You know what (old) Frisian for the color red is ? Rad.

You know what? I have a better idea: I will look in Overwijn's book, and see where he translated something into 'red', and then check what the Frisian/Old Frisian/Ingeavoni/whatever-you-like-ian original was.

Edited by Abramelin

Ra - possibly means sun in Egyptian. Sun, red. It depends what language the OLB is in to what the true translation means.

Egyptians call themselves the "Cattle of Ra."

Ra Ky:

Cattle did not originate as the term for bovine animals. It was borrowed from Old French catel, itself from Latin caput, head, and originally meant movable personal property, especially livestock of any kind, as opposed to real property (the land, to also include wild or small free-roaming animals such as chickens, which would be sold as part of the land).[8] The word is closely related to "chattel" (a unit of personal property) and "capital" in the economic sense.[9][10] The term replaced earlier Old English feoh "cattle, property" (cf. German: Vieh, Gothic: faihu).

The word cow came via Anglo-Saxon cū (plural cȳ),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle

Anglo-Saxon word for cows is CY.

Anglo-Saxon word for red is based in READ. Ray ed (Re - also relates to Sun)

RA KY red cows.

Laugh away.

Edited by The Puzzler

NW WIL IK SKRIWA VR ADEL SIN SVNV.

Tha Tartara is en brûn Findas

folk, althus hêten thrvchdam hja alle folka to strida uttarta. Hja send al

hrutar ånd râwar. Thêr fon send tha Twisklândar alsa blod thorstich wrden.

Tha Twisklândar tham thju årgnise dên hêde, hêton hjara selva Frya jeftha

Franka. Ther wêron sêide min brother râda bruna ånd wita mong. Thêre

thêr râd jeftha brun wêron biton hjara hêre mith sjalkwêter [98] wit.

De Tartaren zijn een bruin Findasvolk, aldus genoemd,

omdat zij alle volken ten strijde uittarten. Zij zijn allen ruiters en roovers.

Daar van daan zijn de Twisklanders evenzoo bloeddorstig geworden. De

Twisklanders, welke die boosheid bedreven hadden, noemden zich zelven

Frijen of Franken. Er waren, zeide mijn broeder, roode, bruine en witte

onder. Die, welke rood of bruin waren, beten hun haar met kalkwater

wit.

The Tartarar are a brown tribe of Finda's people, who are thus named because they make war on everybody. They are all horsemen and robbers. This is what makes the Twisklandar so bloodthirsty.

The Twisklandar who had done the wicked deed called themselves Fryar or Frankar. There were among them, my brother said, red, brown, and white men. The red and brown made their hair white with lime-water

Yep, I'm laughing.

---------------------------

More fun here:

Chapter XXI: This stands inscribed upon all burghs -

Brittania was the land of the exiles, who with the help of their burgh-femme had gone away to save their lives; but in order that they might not come back they were tattooed with a "B" on the forehead, the banished with a red dye, the other criminals with blue.

brittanja thät was thät land thêra bannalinga. thêr mith hulpe hjarar burchfâm wêi brith wêron vmbe hira lif to bihaldana. thach for that hja navt to bäk kvma ne skolde. warth er êrost en B to fara hjara stär priked. tha bana mith râde blod farve änd tha ôra misdêdar mith blâwe farve.

========================

O.E. read, from P.Gmc. *rauthaz (cf. O.N. rauðr, Dan. rød, O.Fris. rad, M.Du. root, Ger. rot, Goth. rauþs), from PIE base *reudh- (cf. L. ruber, also dial. rufus "light red," mostly of hair; Gk. erythros; Skt. rudhira-; Avestan raoidita-; O.C.S. rudru, Pol. rumiany, Rus. rumjanyj "flushed, red," of complexions, etc.; Lith. raudas; O.Ir. ruad, Welsh rhudd, Bret. ruz "red"). The only color for which a definite common PIE root word has been found

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=r&p=9

Edited by Abramelin

I don't know why but we are talking about the part of RED COWS.

Tha thêne Magy

That is it in the original OLB writing...

It says ra ky.

The red cows are nothing more than Sun Cows, solar cows.

Ra cows, red cows, Sun Cows - the solar cow of Ra with golden horns.

Geryon lived on an island called Erythia, which was near the boundary of Europe and Libya. On this island, Geryon kept a herd of red cattle guarded by Cerberus's brother, Orthus, a two-headed hound, and the herdsman Eurytion. Hercules set off on for Erythia, encountering and promptly killing many wild beasts along the way, and he came to the place where Libya met Europe. Here, Apollodorus tells us, Hercules built two massive mountains, one in Europe and one in Libya, to commemorate his extensive journey. Other accounts say that Hercules split one mountain into two. Either way, these mountains became known as the Gates or Pillars of Hercules. The strait Hercules made when he broke the mountain apart is now called the Strait of Gibraltar, between Spain and Morocco, the gateway from the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean.

Sailing in a goblet which the Sun gave him in admiration, Hercules reached the island of Erythia. Not long after he arrived, Orthus, the two-headed dog, attacked Hercules, so Hercules bashed him with his club. Eurytion followed, with the same result. Another herdsman in the area reported these events to Geryon. Just as Hercules was escaping with the cattle, Geryon attacked him. Hercules fought with him and shot him dead with his arrows.

Red cattle - Sun cattle - sun cow - solar cow - ra ky. Red Cattle of Geryon.

:sleepy:

It just dropped into place I think - is Akhenaten the son of the Sun I wondered....what with Re and the rays of the sun. It seemed Re could be a son of Ra, the Sun.

What do you know...

200px-MoyraCaldecot_AkhenatenSonOfTheSun.jpg

Son (of) Re Sun ray - exactly what we see coming from Re. Rays.

Akhenaten was probably Phaethon.

OK Abe, ra ky means SUN cows more than red cows. Although sun usually equates with red because of sunset, the Red Cattle of Geryon is said to be because it was in the Western Ocean where the sun was red going down.

It should read sun cattle probably. But since red could mean sun I guess when written ra they translated it as red cattle. Sun red cows.

I don't know why but we are talking about the part of RED COWS.

Tha thêne Magy

That is it in the original OLB writing...

It says ra ky.

The red cows are nothing more than Sun Cows, solar cows.

Ra cows, red cows, Sun Cows - the solar cow of Ra with golden horns.

Geryon lived on an island called Erythia, which was near the boundary of Europe and Libya. On this island, Geryon kept a herd of red cattle guarded by Cerberus's brother, Orthus, a two-headed hound, and the herdsman Eurytion. Hercules set off on for Erythia, encountering and promptly killing many wild beasts along the way, and he came to the place where Libya met Europe. Here, Apollodorus tells us, Hercules built two massive mountains, one in Europe and one in Libya, to commemorate his extensive journey. Other accounts say that Hercules split one mountain into two. Either way, these mountains became known as the Gates or Pillars of Hercules. The strait Hercules made when he broke the mountain apart is now called the Strait of Gibraltar, between Spain and Morocco, the gateway from the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean.

Sailing in a goblet which the Sun gave him in admiration, Hercules reached the island of Erythia. Not long after he arrived, Orthus, the two-headed dog, attacked Hercules, so Hercules bashed him with his club. Eurytion followed, with the same result. Another herdsman in the area reported these events to Geryon. Just as Hercules was escaping with the cattle, Geryon attacked him. Hercules fought with him and shot him dead with his arrows.

Red cattle - Sun cattle - sun cow - solar cow - ra ky. Red Cattle of Geryon.

:sleepy:

But the 'ra' in 'ra ky' doesn't mean 'red'.

You just keep going on about that, but in the OLB râda râd and râde are used for red.

I can't help it.

Abe,

Are you sure this is the link?

I have tried several times but cannot get in

Alewyn

I have downloaded the book from that link.

I just copied the link from my Favorites.

Maybe you try the Internet Archives, http://www.archive.org/index.php, and then enter the url.

20. Kvmth hwa vmb rêd and wêt thju moder rêd,saaeh

hju tham bystonde to jêvane , wêt hju bystonda nên red, sa

mêi hju wachtja lêta sjvgun dêgum. Wêt hju than nach nên

rêd , sa mügon hja hinne bruda , and hja ne mügon hjra selva

navt biklagja, til thju nên rêd betre is than kva rêd.

21. Heth en moder arge rêd jêven ut kvada willa , sa mot

man hja dêja jefta ut of landum dryva stoknaken and blat.

-----------------------

20. If any one comes to the mother for advice, and she is prepared to give it, she must do it immediately. If she does not know what to advise, he must remain waiting seven days; and if she then is unable to advise, he must go away without complaining, for it is better to have no advice at all than bad advice.

21. If a mother shall have given bad advice out of illwill, she must be killed or driven out of the land, deprived of everything.

-------------

That word red is for the Council, raad in Dutch I see.

The council is the judicial system, that is red, it equates to Mars and also Tyr and then to Aries.

That the word red is used instead of council is quite intriguing, it seems to put the original council of Tyr in with the Freyans, which I actually would expect.

Red is Mars is Justice - Mount of Aries again, Tyr's Day, Tuesday, court day in English countries.

The word Red in this case means council - also in Dutch raad - it was Tyr's council. It transfers to the colour of Mars red, the Red planet, it IS red, later seen as blood thirsty warrior.

Martis Thingus. Thing of Mars, ting of Mars - council/court of Mars. Roman Forum.

The Romans say they are descended from Mars through Romulus.

That word Red in those sentences must associate with Mars being red imo. The word ra in the OLB (ra ky) possibly means orange - that being sun red...not blood red or such. Not actually red but sun red - orange.

In any case I don't think it means THEM as you said.

Mars has joined up with a heap of Celtic Gods which you can read at the link.

Mavors (Mavortis, in the genitive case). Old Latin and poetic name of Mars.[/i]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_(mythology)

The name of Mars Thingsus (Thincsus) is found in an inscription on an 3rd century altar from the Roman fort and settlement of Vercovicium at Housesteads in Northumberland, thought to have been erected by Frisian mercenaries stationed at Hadrian's Wall. It is interpreted as "Mars of the Thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyr

Mars of the Council/Court. Mars of the Red. Tyr of the Red. What were those Phoenicians called again by the Greeks, oh Tyrians...or was it Phoenicians because it means....red?? You don't have to answer.

Anyway, I'm off to bed.

Edited by The Puzzler

Hmm.. must be me, but I see no connection with what we were discussing earlier.

I somehow expected you to notice the difference between 'ra' and 'râ' in that sentence about the cows with the golden horns.

Even Ottema translated râ with red ("roode"), but he made a copy error: it wasn't 'râ' in the originl text, it was 'ra'. Nowhere, never is 'râ' or 'ra' used for the color red, and I think he then made a second error, and read 'râde' where there was only 'râ'.