Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

Riaan

Metrik is from Greek metrike (payment)

But "modaal" - as you mentioned in the post I responded to - is from Latin, "modus".

But "modaal" - as you mentioned in the post I responded to - is from Latin, "modus".

Yes, and related to moderate (dutch: gematigd).

Modaal means average.

When everyone is evenly rich, everyone's wealth is "average".

But that doesn't mean that "evenly rich" = average/ modaal.

Similarly (referring to Knul's translation):

When everyone is evenly rich, people will more likely be "tevreden" (happy, at peace).

But that doesn't mean that "evenly rich" = happy, at peace/ tevreden.

I will continue posting after all the bugs have been caught, lol.

The font is too small, and I can't make it larger.

Edited by Saru
Fixed size - you had "superscript" selected

"Edited by Saru, Today, 05:04 PM.

Fixed size - you had "superscript" selected".

Really? I had selected nothing at all. I simply opened the text window and started writing, clicked on "Post", and that was it.

The fontsize of the letters in that post were minimal and hardly readable. Then I edited, enlarged fontsize to size 12, and then appeared not to have changed.

Edited by Abramelin

Yes, and related to moderate (dutch: gematigd).

Modaal means average.

When everyone is evenly rich, everyone's wealth is "average".

But that doesn't mean that "evenly rich" = average/ modaal.

Similarly (referring to Knul's translation):

When everyone is evenly rich, people will more likely be "tevreden" (happy, at peace).

But that doesn't mean that "evenly rich" = happy, at peace/ tevreden.

I know what 'modaal' means, but I was merely correcting Knul because he responded to a wrong post of mine.

And I still haven't found the meaning for the Dutch family name "Maatrijk".

I have posted about the Firaesi or Phiraisoi here before. They lived on some island according to Pliny or Ptolomy (I could have quoted from an old post, but the search tool is not working great after the update).

Well, I found something new about these Phiraisoi, but I have no access to the pdf:

Firaesi, name meaning “the foreigners” in

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-0092.1988.tb00167.x/abstract

https://www.google.nl/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&q=Firaesi+Phiraisoi+Ptolemy#q=Firaesi+Phiraisoi+Ptolemy&hl=nl&safe=off&prmd=imvns&ei=ZNybT7mXD47pOaaTtfsB&start=20&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a7777d1f43808e8f&biw=1008&bih=527

I am not sure. The idea is, that one should only bow for Wralda, not for anyone else. s. Letterkundige Verlustingen p. 363 http://books.google....uigend"&f=false .

Does one ever kneel when accepting thanks?

That just doesn't make sense IMO.

Your translation says (paraphrased):

"Never kneel when you accept thanks from your friends. They should thank Wralda."

It think that what was ment is this:

"Never let your friends kneel for you out of gratitude. Let them rather thank Wralda."

There is normal "thanks", and there is "kneebending-thanks" or "kneeling-thanks".

You don't want your friends to kneel for you in gratitude, that's embarrassing.

Let them rather thank God and help you next time.

You're not gonna kneel for them either, are you?

From "Frieslands Oudheid" (Friesland's antiquity) by H. Halbertsma (2000), p.33-34 (my improvised translation):

Suetonius writes [...] that Drusus returned to Rome in 11 BC, urged by Augustus [...]. But Augustus' plan, the conquest of total Germania up to the Elbe, had not succeeded yet, so Drusus moved down the Rhine once more in 9 BC, for the fourth time. At this last occasion, he marched through the area of the Chatti and Suebi to that of the Cherusci, in the basin of the mid-Weser. After having crossed this river, he only returned after having reached the Elbe. According to Cassius Dio, he would have made a U-turn, after a Latin speaking, Germanic woman of superhuman dimensions had prophesied his early death. Still deeply in Germanic territory, he broke his fibula when falling from his horse, his blood got poisoned as a result, causing his death 30 days later [...] on the 14th of September in the year 9 BC. Said Suetonius.

Tall, educated women that make prophecies.

Where have we read that before?

Edited by Otharus

Isn't it fascinating that a word that once existed has totally disappeared?

We don't even have a simple word anymore for equally wealthy, or do we?

Not in Dutch, not in English, not in German, not in Frisian.

I wonder if there's any culture left that has a simple word for it.

Maybe the Aboriginal, or the Papua.

We have been alienated from the concept.

We have been programmed to believe that it is normal, that less than 1% of the people have more than 99% of wealth and pleasures.

I said it before:

Language can be a political tool to unite or separate people.

Words can be talismanic.

It may have been a conscious decision to no longer include it in dictionaries and to let it be forgotten.

MÉTRIK = evenly rich, equally wealthy

~ ~ ~

Don't worry, Abe.

I don't think it's a 'conspiracy'.

Or if it is, it's one that has lasted for a few thousands of years.

Some things happen 'automatically'.

LOL

This reminds me of an episode of Simon Stevin's TSamespraeck between Ian and Pieter -> E V E R E D E N H E Y T.

Simon Stevin saw the Duytsch language as most appropriate for science because of the "Duidelijkheid" (Direct Significance) of the words used.

One syllable words are more common in Dietsch than in Latin/Greek.

By this and their clear understanding, he and others claim Dietsch to be older and more authentic.

English Translation of some parts:

P I E T E R. But tell me then, whether they gave the Proportion (on which so wonderfully/amazingly much depend) also a particular name?

[ 156 ]

I A N. Wouldn’t they? It’ so obvious clear that it seems Nature wanted to show her Mastership, when she made the Duytsch language (Diets), because she was called like that, that the name hardly needs any Explanation, but actually from itself can be openly understood, the great covered meaning of it, a thing no other Language we have knowledge of could do the same.

P I E T E R. You are stretching it too lang for me, tell me then first how they called it

I A N. I hope that the un-understandable can be understood by this Understanding (Meaning), E V E R E D E N H E Y T.

P I E T E R. Let me talk a bit , because I think to understand what you want to say can be understood from this word.

The proportion of the Greeks was called Analogia

Explained in Greek as “Analogia esin hè toon logoon homoiotès”,

Explained in Latin as “Proportio est Rationum similitudo” …

And as we in Dietsch would call it Everedenheyt

Explained in Dietsch as “de Evenheydt der Redenen”

It is as you have said, the name is so clear as the explanation itself.

[ 157 ]

P I E T E R. If you ask me it literaly says “Voor-deel” (Advantage, For-Part)

That doesn’t make sense, it seems not to have any common with his base

I A N. It does a little bit, because Proportio comes (in my opinion) from Pro Portione: Quasi pro rationali portione: As in comparing when we have to share something between us two. Hoc est pro tua portione, from there has come the composed word Proportio, meaning fair part for both.

Original:

P I E T E R. Maer seght my doch of sy de Proportie (daer soo wonderlicke veel an ghelegen is) oock eenighe name gaven.

[ 156 ]

I A N. Soudense niet? Ia sy soo heerlick dat het schijnt dat de Natuere haer Meesterstick wilde thoonen, doen sy het Duytsch maecte, wandt sy noemdense soo, dat de naem bycans gheen Bepalinghe en behouft, maer yeghelick cander opentlick uyt verstaen, de groote verborghenheyt der beteeckeninge van dien, t'welck noyt Spraecke van alle de ghene daer ons de ghedachtenis af ghebleven is, alsoo en heeft connen doen.

P I E T E R. Ghy maecket my te lanck, segt eerst hoe sy die noemden, t'ander daer naer.

I A N. Dat Onbegrijpelick begrepen sy in dit Begrijpende, E V E R E D E N H E Y T.

P I E T E R. Laet my nu wat spreecken, want my dinct dat ick alree uyt dit woort al verstae, dat ghy my segghen wilt. De Proportie byden Griecken Analogia gheseyt, wort in haer tale duer Euclides ande vierde Bepalinghe des vijfden boucx aldus Bepaelt: Analogia esin hè toon logoon homoiotès. t'welck de Latijnen aldus over setten. Proportio est Rationum similitudo. Andere (hoe wel æqualitas de Saecke naest ware.) Proportio est Rationum identitas ; Ende als wy Duytschen der ghelijcke deden, souden segghen, Everedenheyt is de Evenheydt der Redenen. Voorwaer soo ghy gheseyt hebt, het Bepaelde is soo claer als de Bepalinghe selfs. Maer siet doch eens als ick tot yemandt segghe, 6. tot 3. is een dobbel Reden, ende 4. tot 2. is oock een dobbel Reden: De Reden dan van 6. tot 3. is even an de Reden van 4. tot 2. daerom 6. 3. 4. 2. maecken Everedenheyt, ofte het sijn Everednighe ghetalen;

[ 157 ]

De Duytsche kinderen verstaen den Grondt der Saecken. Maer der Latijnen woort Proportio dat naar de letter Voordeel beteeckent mijns bedunckens * het en gheraect Poorte Cloot noch Bart; Gans noch Stake, ten schijnt met sijn Grondt geen ghemeenschap te hebben. {*Men verliester int clossen een me.}

I A N. Het doet al eenighe, want Proportio comt (na mijn verstandt) van Pro Portione: Quasi pro rationali portione. By ghelijckenis, of wy yet onder ons te deelen hadden, ick neme Ses Tonnen Schadts (arme lien handelen met kleene sommen) ende dat ghyder twee moest hebben, ende ick dander viere, dat is ghelijck 1. tot 2. alsoo u deel teghen het mijne, nu als ick u dijn deel gave, ick soude segghen, Hoc est pro tua portione, ende daer of is dat t'sameghevouchde woort Proportio ghemaect, wiens sin is Naer behoirlick deel.

P I E T E R. Het schijnt wel soo ghy seght, dan watter af sy der Griecken Analogia comt naerder, maer onse Everedenheyt gadet al te boven. Nu valt my daer recht inde sin dat die duystere namen de Oirsaecke sijn vande inghewortelde ongheschictheyden der Everedenheyt, als 2, 3, 5, 6, ende dierghelijcke, te wesen Ghetals Everedenheyt, die by haer ghenoemt wort Arithmetica Proportio, (teghen de 21. bepaling des 7. boucx van Euclides) alwaer sy Overschot (haer selven bedrieghende) ansien voor Reden; Want hadden sy een woort ghehadt als Everedenheyt, de kinderen (ick late Oude lien varen) souden gheseyt hebben Hoe can dit Everedenheyt wesen, daer en sijn gheen Even Redenen.

Does one ever kneel when accepting thanks?

That just doesn't make sense IMO.

Your translation says (paraphrased):

"Never kneel when you accept thanks from your friends. They should thank Wralda."

It think that what was ment is this:

"Never let your friends kneel for you out of gratitude. Let them rather thank Wralda."

There is normal "thanks", and there is "kneebending-thanks" or "kneeling-thanks".

You don't want your friends to kneel for you in gratitude, that's embarrassing.

Let them rather thank God and help you next time.

You're not gonna kneel for them either, are you?

Here is the analysis by van der Mey:

kniebuigend

OLB, p. 21 sub 2. 'Wralda's geeft mag men alleen kniebuigend dank brengen. . . en sub. 4. Neem nimmer kniebuigend van uw naaste dank aan, NB. de naaste knielt ! Ofschoon we bij deze mededeling denken aan het bekende Friese gezegde uit de geschiedenis:

‘Wij Friezen knielen alleen voor God, heeft de auteur ons meer willen zeggen, dat volgt uit 't. tweede gedeelte van de zin, welke luidt: deze (dank) behoort aan Wralda's geest en (neemt gij deze dank wel aan) dan zouden mijn maagden u betichten van vaderroof. Dit is een zwaar vergrijp, dat ons wordt uitgelegd in de paragraaf die de neiging der mensen bespreekt om zich vader der volken e.d. te noemen welke naam voorbehouden is aan Wralda (OLB, p. 229). Halbertsma zegt hiervan: ‘De knieval als uitdrukking der overmachtige indruk van verbrijzeling en vernedering voor de troon van de oneindige, was het enige gebaar dat de Doopsgezinden maakten.' (HKD, p. 344). Hij kende de zinsnede uit Tacitus' Germania (18) 'De Germanen hebben de gewoonte de vorsten alleen met woorden te groeten niet met kniebuigingen', voldoende gegevens voor het samenstellen van de O. L. B, -tekst.

Here is the analysis by van der Mey:

OLB, p. 21 sub 2. 'Wralda's geeft mag men alleen kniebuigend dank brengen. . . en sub. 4. Neem nimmer kniebuigend van uw naaste dank aan, NB. de naaste knielt !

He says the same as I:

The neighbor/ nearest (naaste) who thanks kneels, not the one who is being thanked, as your translation says.

Halbertsma zegt hiervan: ‘De knieval als uitdrukking der overmachtige indruk van verbrijzeling en vernedering voor de troon van de oneindige, was het enige gebaar dat de Doopsgezinden maakten.'

Compare: Revelation 19:10

And I fell at his feet to worship him.

And he said unto me,

See thou do it not:

I am thy fellow servant,

and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus:

worship God:

for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

(King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.))

This reminds me of an episode of Simon Stevin's TSamespraeck between Ian and Pieter -> E V E R E D E N H E Y T.

Simon Stevin saw the Duytsch language as most appropriate for science because of the "Duidelijkheid" (Direct Significance) of the words used.

One syllable words are more common in Dietsch than in Latin/Greek.

By this and their clear understanding, he and others claim Dietsch to be older and more authentic.

I agree, this is a very good point.

Thank you for the text and your translation, Van Gorp.

Why does it always say Google is reading this? At people below, it says Google, that's weird, Google has been reading this all day. :ph34r:

God I hate 'new and improved stuff' - it's always crap.

Why does it always say Google is reading this?

At people below, it says Google, that's weird, Google has been reading this all day.

I think Google was always 'reading' what we wrote, we just didn't know.

Now we know.

People who are searching the answers we are giving, can get here through Google.

What's wrong with that?

It just feels more and more like Big Brother is watching me, I'm a kinda paranoid person...nor do I like change. Anyway, carry on.

It just feels more and more like Big Brother is watching me, I'm a kinda paranoid person...nor do I like change. Anyway, carry on.

Puzz, there's nothing to worry about. Those are bots, crawlers and spiders. I have sometimes like 6 of those present on my own board, and that's within 5 minutes. These bots gather information for their search engines. That is how people end up on some site when they are surfing the web for information. When you Google and end up here, it's because Google has gathered info from this site.

I'd like to add that you can allow or block them. Well, I can on my own board, and when allowed, they show up as 'registered members'.

Edited by Abramelin

From "Frieslands Oudheid" (Friesland's antiquity) by H. Halbertsma (2000), p.33-34 (my improvised translation):

Suetonius writes [...] that Drusus returned to Rome in 11 BC, urged by Augustus [...]. But Augustus' plan, the conquest of total Germania up to the Elbe, had not succeeded yet, so Drusus moved down the Rhine once more in 9 BC, for the fourth time. At this last occasion, he marched through the area of the Chatti and Suebi to that of the Cherusci, in the basin of the mid-Weser. After having crossed this river, he only returned after having reached the Elbe. According to Cassius Dio, he would have made a U-turn, after a Latin speaking, Germanic woman of superhuman dimensions had prophesied his early death. Still deeply in Germanic territory, he broke his fibula when falling from his horse, his blood got poisoned as a result, causing his death 30 days later [...] on the 14th of September in the year 9 BC. Said Suetonius.

Tall, educated women that make prophecies.

Where have we read that before?

Maybe you'd like this Dutch legend about Koning Ezelsoor (scroll down):

http://www.leidschendam-voorburg.nl/Int/Over-Leidschendam-Voorburg-Historie/Historische-artikelen/Historische-verhalen.html

I think Puzz and Cormac may find the next pdf interesting:

The Genetic Link of the Viking – Era Norse to Central Asia:

An Assessment of the Y Chromosome DNA, Archaeological,

Historical and Linguistic Evidence

David K. Faux

http://www.davidkfaux.org/CentralAsiaRootsofScandinavia-Y-DNAEvidence.pdf

For thousands of years the peoples of the Altai who were largely of haplotype R1a

lineage with smaller numbers of Q and K, and continued to live the nomadic lifestyle of

their ancestors. In the years preceding the birth of Christ there appear to have been

pressures exerted by the Chinese peoples who lived nearby, and perhaps also due to an

explosion in population, some of these Scythian peoples began to move in successive

waves to the west toward the Caspian Sea. Based on the haplotype examination above,

and recognizing that population structure may have changed over time, the tribal groups

and geographic regions that appear to have made the most significant contribution to this

migration include the Altai of the Altai Mountains of Siberia near the Mongolian border,

and the people who today are known as the Khirgyz and Tajiks from Khirgystan and

Tajikistan. They followed the old “Silk Road” to beyond the Aral Sea and the Caspian

Sea to the Don River and the Azov Sea. Here they came directly into contact with the

descendants of a Swedish people known as the Ostrogoths (there still being a city of this

name in Sweden today). These latter people had begun their long march south (as

reflected in the series of dated archaeological sites), and by the 4th Century AD had

absorbed the local Scythian peoples, the Alans or Ases people across the top of the Black

Sea west to the Danube River. Into this mélange in the year 376 came the Scythian Huns

who in turn drove off the western branches of the Ostrogoths and other Germanic

peoples, and subjugated the proximal Ostrogoths. Here they co-existed and according to

some sources the Scythian peoples came to use German as the lingua franca of the day.

Here a leader known as Uldin (Odin in Norse) emerges and makes a name for himself in

the Roman world before disappearing from the world’s stage (i.e., from the awareness of

the classical writers) in 408. The Icelandic Sagas report that the Asir people resided

across the River Don, with their principal settlement being a city wedged along the

Caucasus Mountains, and it is here that Odin’s two brothers stayed with some of their

people as Odin began his northward migration. Thus we should expect to find some

group of people in the area who conform to the descriptions of Snorri. The Azeri people

(Azer being as close to Aesir as one can imagine) are today a group residing in the

mountains of Azerbaijan. Clearly they have intermixed with the local Middle Eastern

population as reflected in the predominance of the haplogroup J signature in the Azeris.

However there is a contingent still present in this population, dissimilar to their

neighbors, who in fact carry the three Asian signatures seen in Shetland (a Norse colony),

and the signatures are more similar between these two northern and southern regions than

any other group between Turkey and Mongolia.

Or:

http://davidkfaux.org/

http://www.davidkfaux.org/Cimbri-Chronology.pdf

http://davidkfaux.org/Angles_England_R_U152.pdf

Puzz, there's nothing to worry about. Those are bots, crawlers and spiders. I have sometimes like 6 of those present on my own board, and that's within 5 minutes. These bots gather information for their search engines. That is how people end up on some site when they are surfing the web for information. When you Google and end up here, it's because Google has gathered info from this site.

I'd like to add that you can allow or block them. Well, I can on my own board, and when allowed, they show up as 'registered members'.

Hmm OK then, thanks for the info.

I just watched my latest DVD in the Ancient Civilizations DVD - called The Pagans, all about ancient people in England and the Orkney Islands have some massive structures there too, just thinking about who must have been there 5000 years ago...

Snorri does say that Odin lived near the Don river originally and that that area was Asaland.

He says, and I quote (from Vikings book by Magnus Magnusson):

"The orb of the world, which mankind inhabits, is riven by many fjords, so that the great seas run into the land from the Outer Ocean. Thus, it is known that a great sea goes in through Norvasund (Straits of Gibraltar) all the way to the land of Jerusalem. From that same sea a long bight stretches toward the North East, called the Black Sea, which divides the three continents of the earth: to the east lies Asia, to the west lies Europe (which some call Aeneus-land) but to the north of the Black Sea lies Greater Sweden or Sweden the Cold (Russia)...

Through Greater Sweden (Russia) from the range of mountains that lie to the north beyond the edge of human habitation, there runs a river properly called the Tanais (Don), which flows into the Black Sea. In Asia to the east of the Tanais (Don) there was a land called Ásaland or Asaheim (Land of the Aesir); it's chief city was called Asgard (Home of the Aesir). That city was ruled by a cheiftan called Odin, and it was great centre for sacrifices..."

He says the same as I:

The neighbor/ nearest (naaste) who thanks kneels, not the one who is being thanked, as your translation says.

I changed the translation.

Hmm OK then, thanks for the info.

I just watched my latest DVD in the Ancient Civilizations DVD - called The Pagans, all about ancient people in England and the Orkney Islands have some massive structures there too, just thinking about who must have been there 5000 years ago...

I know about the Orkneys, but nothing ancient overthere resembles anything described in the OLB.

Snorri does say that Odin lived near the Don river originally and that that area was Asaland.

He says, and I quote (from Vikings book by Magnus Magnusson):

"The orb of the world, which mankind inhabits, is riven by many fjords, so that the great seas run into the land from the Outer Ocean. Thus, it is known that a great sea goes in through Norvasund (Straits of Gibraltar) all the way to the land of Jerusalem. From that same sea a long bight stretches toward the North East, called the Black Sea, which divides the three continents of the earth: to the east lies Asia, to the west lies Europe (which some call Aeneus-land) but to the north of the Black Sea lies Greater Sweden or Sweden the Cold (Russia)...

Through Greater Sweden (Russia) from the range of mountains that lie to the north beyond the edge of human habitation, there runs a river properly called the Tanais (Don), which flows into the Black Sea. In Asia to the east of the Tanais (Don) there was a land called Ásaland or Asaheim (Land of the Aesir); it's chief city was called Asgard (Home of the Aesir). That city was ruled by a cheiftan called Odin, and it was great centre for sacrifices..."

Puzz, I found an online discussion about all this:

http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showthread.php?t=32061

It's as 'friendly' as this thread sometimes is, lol.