Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Developing Story: Earthquake hits Canada/U.S.

Mr Gold

News reports of a small earthquake are coming in part of Ontario, Quebec and parts of the Northern U.S. The Star is looking into reports of shaking ground in Sudbury.If you felt the tremor around 1:45 p.m., contact the Star to tell us how it felt.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I was just sitting at home and my apartment building started shaking so I grabbed my girlfriend and went downstairs. Nothing seemed different then the shaking stopped. Apparently the local radio is saying there was a 5.5 Earthquake that hit all Ontario, Montreal and parts of Quebec, and some Northern States. Weird stuff, I've never even felt an Earthquake here before ever.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• Mr Gold

• Fernand0

• Sarka

I'm the Niagara region in southern Ontario and my sister and I felt it in our house, my sister was downstairs and I was upstairs. We both thought we were crazy but luckily it was confirmed on The Weather Network as well as my facebook being flooded with status updates talking about it :P Apparently there were no injuries, thank goodness. The last time I felt an earthquake here was about 10 years ago while I was sitting in the doctors office, so getting ones that we can actually noticeably feel is rare.

Just a heads up for anyone else in Ontario (mostly southern) and slightly south of our border, we're in for some nasty weather tonight:

Weather Network Storm Information for Southern Ontario

That link also had more info on the earthquake at the bottom. :)

I'm in NE Ohio and I didn't feel squat, even though they're saying people could feel it all the way down in Cincinnati.

People evacuated buildings in Ottawa and Toronto felt the ground shake as an

earthquake struck a large area that appeared to stretch from Quebec to

southern Ontario and into the northern States Wednesday afternoon.

"Things started shaking on my desk," said Greg Dorval, who works in the

south end of Ottawa. "It felt like a huge truck going by the building, but

multiply that by ten."

QMI Agency's Ottawa bureau reported the earthquake around 1:43 p.m.

The U.S. Geological Survey Earthquake Hazards Program reports the 5.5

magnatude quake hit the Ontario-Quebec border region. The epicentre was just

outside Buckingham, Que.

The seismic monitoring centre in the geological sciences department at Queen's University has been flooded with calls from people reporting the

suspected seismic event.

Link to source

Edited by Karlis
Added source link

Central Ohio here. No quaking of any kind.

I'm in Mass. (south of Boston). I did notice that the pictures on my wall moved a little...I suspect that was a result of the quake. No obvious motion though.

I felt it!! The walls of the hospital went BOOMBOOMBOOM and the baby got a teeny bit of a ride in her incubator LOL My son texted me from Quebec City and said he didn't feel a thing. My sister and middle daughter were in Toronto and they sure felt it. I'm in Peterborough, ON.

Nothing here in Central Indiana, but I'm glad nobody got hurt.

I live in Southern Ontario, and we felt it at work, at first we thought it was the big a/c units on our roof starting up, but then it just kept going. At home, my kid said the entire couch shook and he actually felt sick when it was going on. Also, about a half an hour before it happened, my dog layed down on the floor in front of the upstairs steps, something she's never done before, and absolutely refused to move, no matter what anybody did. All she did was lay there with her ears down and her head low and it didn't matter what anyone did, she just wouldn't move. They say animals sense earthquakes. I guess she knew it was coming.

I felt a small quake here when I was about 10. When was the last one in that region?

There have been UFO sightings associated with this earthquake.

I believe you. That part of Canada and the U.S. have many nuclear power plants plus seismic activity. In conjunction UFO's are often spotted, but that's just what they are UFO's. I wish I could have seen what you did :yes:

I believe you. That part of Canada and the U.S. have many nuclear power plants plus seismic activity. In conjunction UFO's are often spotted, but that's just what they are UFO's. I wish I could have seen what you did :yes:

I look forward to reading about the UFO incidents as they are posted. Hopefully there will be footage, supposedly there have been many sightings.

edit

Today would be a good day to UFO watch in North America.

Edited by Fernand0

There have been UFO sightings associated with this earthquake.

There was also a huge storm across Ontario and a tornado touched down in Midland Ontario. Both Tornado's and Earthquake's are pretty rare around Ontario and this poor city happened to get both within a matter of hours haha.

Maybe there testing H.A.R.P. before the g-20. Take care of all the big boy's when it's starts.

I jest I jest. Very odd though earthquakes, tornado's and floods oh my.

Very odd though earthquakes, tornado's and floods oh my.

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!

Just be glad you don't live here. We have a quake like that almost every year. In fact, there was a 7.6 not so long ago which destroyed a few shops in a town in the North Island and there was a 7.9 or an 8.0 in the bottom of the South Island last year.

The weather has been rather odd in south/western Ontario the past week or so. It almost feels weird to turn on the tv and not see Windsor under a Tornado warning. :blink: There were more storms in southern Ontario again today and there will be more tomorrow. My area has managed to miss out on all but the more mild thunderstorms, which is unfortunate because it is getting unbearably muggy here and we could really use a good downpour. I also wouldn't mind a storm for the entertainment value :P, I love house shaking thunder!

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!

Just be glad you don't live here. We have a quake like that almost every year. In fact, there was a 7.6 not so long ago which destroyed a few shops in a town in the North Island and there was a 7.9 or an 8.0 in the bottom of the South Island last year.

I was actually just discussing something similar to this with my mum the other day. Almost anyone I've come in contact with in the last week has asked me either "did you feel the earthquake?" or "what were you doing when we had the earthquake?" It has been a pretty big deal, but simply because we never ever get one. I've established that it's really quite silly :lol:. Meanwhile, there are places all over the world that have life shattering earthquakes, such as Haiti. And yet, we can't seem to get over our measly 5.0 earthquake that did almost no damage. :P

Apparently Ontario life is duller then we realize, but in a lucky way. ;)

I was just sitting at home and my apartment building started shaking so I grabbed my girlfriend and went downstairs. Nothing seemed different then the shaking stopped. Apparently the local radio is saying there was a 5.5 Earthquake that hit all Ontario, Montreal and parts of Quebec, and some Northern States. Weird stuff, I've never even felt an Earthquake here before ever.

we've been activity here in North Carolina as well. I can even feel the ground shake. It's weird that's for sure.