Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare hole In the moon photographed

Still Waters

New photos of the moon have revealed the most detailed views yet of a rare hole in the lunar surface — a pit large enough to swallow an entire football field whole.

High-resolution cameras aboard the Japanese Kaguya spacecraft first spotted the irregularly shaped chasm, located in Mare Ingenii on the moon's southern hemisphere.Now, NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has taken a new, up-close photo of the moon pit from lunar orbit.

"Only three have been discovered thus far, so I believe it is safe to state that skylights (pits) are rare at the 100-meter scale," Mark Robinson, principal investigator for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) at Arizona State University, told SPACE.com in an e-mail.

Mare Ingenii, also called the "sea of cleverness," is best known for its prominent lunar swirls, which are highly reflective surface features that are associated with magnetic anomalies. The new images of the region from LROC show a giant pit measuring about 427 feet (130 meters) in diameter.

The boulders and debris resting on the floor of the cavity are partially illuminated and likely originated at the surface, falling through the pit opening during its collapse. The hole is thought to be the result of a partially collapsed lava tube.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• The Cosmic Fluke

• Admiral Danger

• a vampire wears my boxers

another good reason to put a golf course up on the moon :tu:

Proof that the moon if hollow and these holes are ports for the spaceships to enter and leave :innocent:

noooo! my veggie garden! why why why?!

Edited by a vampire wears my boxers

That's where Moon Poots come from.

Moon Poots? Haha, sounds funny.

Ah... the article blames lava tubes. That is the first thing that came to my mind too.

Don't go in there.... Optimus Prime wouldn't like you poking around in his stuff.

Mid ! Help me get the Minnows off my Back! They are taking over everywhere! Moonies!

another good reason to put a golf course up on the moon :tu:

why??? so you'll never miss a hole in one with a hole the size of a football field :lol: :lol: :w00t:

I just want to see if some exploration there could occur. Who knows what we could find, or not.

Also, who knows, some space slugs could be lurking in there :blink:

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Well in 20 or 30 years maybe the China Space crew will take pictures to show the Americans whats in there!

all i can think of is.. when will the book come out with the 'hollow moon theory'.

Probably someone hiding stuff in there. Like safe sugar substitutes etc.