Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sinking oil threatens historic Gulf shipwreck

Galactic

Here's more about the story oil threatens historic gulf shipwreck who knows it be safe or not?.

By CAIN BURDEAU, Associated Press Writer Cain Burdeau, Associated Press Writer – Sun Jul 4, 1:12 pm ET

TIMBALIER ISLANDS, La. – Not just flora and fauna are getting caked in oil. So is the Gulf of Mexico's barnacled history of pirates, sea battles and World War II shipwrecks.

The Gulf is lined with wooden shipwrecks, American-Indian shell midden mounds, World War II casualties, pirate colonies, historic hotels and old fishing villages. Researchers now fear this treasure seeker's dream is threatened by BP PLC's deepwater well blowout.

more about this story below there..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill_shipwrecks

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Galactic

• H.H. Holmes

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the comments on the the link site, I have to agree with many of the posters who said that this should be the least of our worries. When people are losing their livelihoods, aquatic animals are getting inundated with oil, and beaches getting flooded with tar balls, I think that shipwrecks are near the bottom of that list. Plus, from what I gather, the main complaint about the shipwrecks is that divers can't explore them, not that the oil will damage the sites.