Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NorthWest Florida Hauntings

gorehound

I was just wondering if anyone out there has any information on urban legands or hauntings in NorthWest Florida/SouthEast Alabame, thanks.

• 10 months later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flashbelieve

• Keel M.

• gorehound

There are plenty of hauntings in the panhandle of florida and south Alabama. There is a person that a few years ago was writting books on the 10most haunted places in Al. Ga. Fl. Te. ky. Mi. There is one about the dancing fiddler, seems that he stands on his grave late in evening just before dark and plays his fiddle and dances. I went there several saturdays listening for him and watching for him. We never did see or hear him, but supposedly several people for many years has seen his apparition and heard his fiddle playing. He died in 1855. he owned a large plantation some 1000 acres. That is just outside of Samson Alabama. I can tell you of several later.

In Newton Alabama just north of town at the bridge that crosses Choctawhatchee River. Years ago a man was hung under the bridge, they hung him from horse back, from him swinging back and forth the rope was a little short so his feet dug out a small hole dragging the ground. People have been going there for over a hundred years looking at the hole made by his feet swinging back and fourth. People will cover the hole and leave, when they come back the hole is open. Nothing will happen as long as you stay and watch. People have even poured concrete in the spot, and when they return it will be pushed out of the hole. My mother went and looked at it back in. 1912.

I meant to say the rope was too long. For info purposes, my mother was born in Holmes Co. Fl. in 1900. My daddy in 1898 in Dale Co. Alabama.

This lady that is writting the books about the 10 most haunted places in all the southern states goes to each site in the state that she is writing about and takes people of recognition with her. She does research on each site and talks to all types of people about what happens. My brother that lived in Geneva Ala. found her book in the library there.I have not looked in any for the book, but i would like to find the time,

There is a house between Boston and Barwick. It is a very large house, two story, it was a plantation back in the 1850s, had several hundred acres. A great nephew inherited it around 1964. He moved in for 3 weeks, he moved out and went to Boston Ga. and rented a room. He had him a smaller house built across the street from the big house. Word spread quickly about how haunted the big house was. Bad enough he couldnt live in it. The only story i heard about it was he was sitting downstairs one night and heard chains rattling. He looked at the stairs and there was a pair of boots with shackels around them with a chain connected to them walking down the stairs. He didnt see anything except the boots and chain walking down the stairs. That was enough seen to make him move out, plus he had heard noises and talking but he knew he was by himself. I went by the house just to look at it. It is an enormous house and looks creepy from outside. That was in 64-65 . I dont know if the house is still there.

This story is mainly about a treasure, but almost every treasure has ghost involved. Just north of highway #2 in Florida, and right on theChatthoochee River just south of Alabama and across the river from Georgia is an 80 acre swamp. This treasure is in the Florida archives. Back about 1820- 1838 there was three indian wars. Andrew Jackson had a milatary group that was fighting the Indians. They got word that a small group of Indians robbing and stealing in the Fl. panhandle and south Ala. The soldiers chased the indians into this swamp. They tried to follow them but hit quicksand. They set up to ambush them when they come out which they did after about an hour. They promptly hung all but one. they sent him to prison. The indians were leading 7 ponies with two sacks tied across there backs filled with gold and silver, along with silver plate. The heading of the story is 7 pony loads of treasure. There were two men back in the 30s, that went there and hired area people to dig ditches to drain the swamp. They dug for 2 weeks, one man dug up 3gold coins. They went home one night and it started raining, it rained for two weeks. It flooded everything they had done. The men went home and never returned. To my knowledge no one haslooked for it since. I would almost bet the area where they hung the indians is haunted. I have went there a few times back in middle 90s.

There is a small house out on highway 177, the Bethlehem highway north of Bonifay Fl. the house is right on wrights creek. No one lives there but the owners live across the road.The house is supposed to be haunted so bad that no one can live in it. It was told that it was built on Indian Burial ground. There has been people that moved in one day and moved out the next. It has set empty many times for long periods of time. The house is private property and posted.

In October of 2009, my friend (who lives just north of Miami) and I met half way between us in a small town called Monticello, FL. We stayed at a haunted bed & breakfast while there. :)

I have been thru Monticello Fl. many times, thereis a lot of old fine two story homes there, There should be a lotof haunted houses there but you would have to talk to local people to find out, preferably to teenagers.They might be the only ones to admit it.