Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earthquake felt in Washington DC

susieice

Early Friday morning a 3.6 earthquake centered in Maryland was felt in Washington DC. This is the stongest one to shake the area since 1974.

http://wjz.com/local/DC.area.shaken.2.1808021.html

I'm in the southeast part of Pennsylvania, but it didn't wake me up. Did anyone feel this?

Edited by susieice

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• She-ra

• Torgo

• Eldorado

• susieice

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Centered within 10 miles of where I live, but I was in Boston at the time.

Quakes like this, in the middles of plates away from boundaries, are due to tensional or compressional or shear stress building up on the whole plate. Eventually something somewhere in it has to buckle.

Yup. Here's about the extent of the damage:

210fvxv.jpg

My dogs got up and freaked a little but I just rolled over and went back to sleep. :P

Yeah...Maryland usually doesn't have earthquakes, but only twice in the last 35-36 years...and another national capital: Ottawa, Canada was rocked by a 5 pointer in June. I experienced a few quakes twice the magnitude size of the 3.6 last month and newcomers in California need to get used to them. I thought about how I would react if a tornado approach me and my apartment, I will be scared like hell myself not knowing what to do or how to prepare for tornadoes.

• 1 month later...

I was awake at 5:04 when it hit, it was ridiculous. I have left all my pictures in my room the same since, all crooked from the quake.

Yeah...Maryland usually doesn't have earthquakes, but only twice in the last 35-36 years...and another national capital: Ottawa, Canada was rocked by a 5 pointer in June. I experienced a few quakes twice the magnitude size of the 3.6 last month and newcomers in California need to get used to them. I thought about how I would react if a tornado approach me and my apartment, I will be scared like hell myself not knowing what to do or how to prepare for tornadoes.

Yeah we do. When they hit, they're tiny. It's every few years we get a "big one."

I was awake at 5:04 when it hit, it was ridiculous. I have left all my pictures in my room the same since, all crooked from the quake.

I was asleep in my bed. I felt it along with my stepmom. I thought it was awsome! :D My stepmom said it sounded like a train coming through.

This is reviving a dead topic. :/

Here is my topic.