Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nagas of India

SlimJim22

The valley of Kashmir has been a great seat of learning and erudition from its hoary past. Its beauty and verdure, snow-capped peaks, sparkling waters, rustling leaves of dense forests, lakes and springs, have charmed poets and creative minds to sing its praises, calling it ‘a paradise on earth’. Inspired and motivated by the pristine beauty of the landscape, the genius of Kashmir has contributed to almost all segments of human knowledge and creative ventures.

Among the earlier settlers in Kashmir are believed to be Nagas. There are geological and mythological reasons to believe that the valley was once a vast span of water, similar to a huge dam, walled in by high mountains. The Nilamatapurana records how the valley was elevated out of water and left under the care of the Nagas, of whom Nila, the son of Kashyapa, was the chief. Although legends are legends and do not provide hard evidence in most cases, the present description regarding the drawing of water is reconcilable with the geological scenario of violent earthquakes accompanied by darkness and cloudburst.

It is said that the valley is named ‘Kashmir’ after Kashyapa. The term ‘naga’ stands for spring, chesmah, and negin for small spring. Springs are the main source of water in Kashmir. The five primordial elements (earth, fire, water, air and sky) are, in fact, complementary to the people’s rituals, cognitive system, religious beliefs and sacrificial practices. Interestingly, the auspicious and famous river of Kashmir, the Vitasta (Jhelum) originates from a spring near Verinag and is responsible for the water supply to most parts of the valley. The religious significance of the river is established by the Nilamatapurana when it records the entire land of Kashmir as the material manifestation of Uma and describes her as the divine form of the Vitasta.1

Apart from meaning a spring, the term naga had tremendous theo-cultural relevance for the lives of the people of Kashmir. As the sacredness of water gets echoed in the worship of nagas, the Naga as spring is the source of life. Some scholars have identified the nagas as personified forces of nature.

http://ignca.nic.in/cd_07008.htm

The word Naga comes from the Sanskrit, and nag is still the word for snake, especially the cobra, in most of the languages of India. When we come upon the word in Buddhist writings, it is not always clear whether the term refers to a cobra, an elephant (perhaps this usage relates to its snake-like trunk, or the pachyderm's association with forest-dwelling peoples of north-eastern India called Nagas,) or even a mysterious person of nobility. It is a term used for unseen beings associated with water and fluid energy, and also with persons having powerful animal-like qualities or conversely, an impressive animal with human qualities.

http://www.khandro.net/mysterious_naga.htm

So far we Nagas connected with water management and serpent worship, well I would like to connect the Dravidian-Harappan culture of India as at least partially black asiatic. It seems there is evidence to suggest this group was active in China also.

The Yang-shao, people cultivated millet and rice. They had domesticated the horse, goat and sheep. They made fine black-and-red pottery, such as that found in Kansu, dating to the period between 3000-1800 B.C. The skeletal remains of the people o Yang-shao, show they resembled the Polynesians and Melanesians rather than modern mongoloids.In Chinese literature these Blacks were called Yi and Yueh, according to Shun-sheng Ling, A study of the raft, outrigger, double and deck canoes of ancient China the Pacific and the Indian Ocean.

There were many different Hua tribes. Therefore they had different names for the Proto-Dravidians who formerly lived in ancient China and Southeast Asia.

The ancient Chinese referred to these Proto-Dravidians as Li min 'Black heads', especially those inhabitants of the Hwang-Ho valley . According to T. de Lacouperie "The Black heads of Babylonia and ancient China" (see: The Babylonian and Oriental Record 5, no. 11 (1891) pp.233-246), the term Li min means 'the black people'.

These Blacks were important to the development and stability of Chinese civilization. In the Ode Sang-yu , the Earl of Jay, mourned because "every state is being ruined, there are no Black-heads among the people". This quote indicates the important role the Blacks made in the rise of the Zhou dynasty in China. The Zhou was the first Hua dynasty in China.

Later Chinese referred to the Proto-Dravidians as Man or K'un-lun. This became the general Chinese term for Asiatic and African Blacks. Up to the T'ang dynasty, the south sea area. was called K'un-lun. References in these documents speak of' K'un-lun slaves, K'un-lun people, and K'un-lun language and ships. Triptaka, a Chinese traveler of southern China and S.E. Asia observed that "the Cambodians remind me of the Man, our southern Chinese barbarians; they are coarse-featured and very dark".

http://www.oocities.com/ekwesi.geo/DRAVIDIANS.html

http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.ar/en/essentials_articles/article1.shtml

http://ldolphin.org/semir.html

http://olmec98.net/tamana.htm

http://viewzone2.com/ancientturksx.html

http://www.infibeam.com/Books/info/naval-viyogi/nagas-ancient-rulers-india-their-origin-history-history/9788175362871.html

http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/india.html

As much as possible I have tried to stay away from afrocentric sites but the point at issue for me is whether with the aryan invasion, the black asiatic, Nagas, snake cult left the Indus valley to colonize new lands. This would be around the time of 1,700bce and the dating could mean that they pushed into Mesopatamia as the Kassites, established themselves as the Puni or later phoenicians, consolidated China or settles Australia and New Zealand. Perhaps most significantly could these sea faring predominatly black culture have made into to South America as the Olmecs or Xi (pronounced Shee as in Shiva) maybe stopping by Eatsre Island on the way. Some will say I am trying to connect too many things and I probably am but any one of the above would be pretty significant to the story of history. Unfortunately, for a longtime there has been an agenda to caste the Aryans in the favourable light but the truth is that the most successful culture in ancient times were the serpent cults. They my have started off as black asiatics but I think that over time race became irrelavant and people would recognize one another through love of songs and shamanic practices.

Were these people the Yadus or Yaddavas of India from Ophir who spread out to teach the world the wisdom of the serpent and the wonders of Net-jet (nature). If so what consequence has this retelling got for the Bible and the story of Eden. Was a caucasian or semitic girl corrupted by a Nagas and cast out because of it? Probably making too many speculations for sure by now but short of time. Take what you can from it and see if any of this resonates. Criticisms welcome. :yes:

perhaps they may be linked (genetically) to the aboriginal people of Australia, who migrated across asia.

the vedda of Sri Lanka still exist, and are strongly linked to the first peoples of Australia.

It is possible that these peoples, rather than Africans are the black-headed asians you are investigating.

The Sumerians were also considered black-headed ones, amongst others....we are probably seeing linked ethnicities but with various cultures and differing degrees of social sophistication.

possibly.

It looks like the first two Chinese dynasties , the Xia ( from prehistory till about 1700 BC) and the Shang (until about 1000 BC ) were also black . The Shang dynasty was overthrown by mongoloids from central Asia who founded the Zhou Dynasty.

Edited by lightly

If their whole body was black, why would they just be referred to as "black heads"? If they had the wooly hair, it would make more sense to call them something that made that feature recognizable as it is today. Chinese have black hair. Japanese have black hair, but it's straight isn't it?

Thanks all for the excellent contributions. These black asiatics do indeed seem to be the 'blackheads' of Sumer and possibly of Tamil. There is also strong evidence of them being in China from an early time. The first emperor of China was Shen Nung, he looks like he may have had some afro-asiatic parentage.

http://reefermadnessmuseum.org/chap02/China/China.htm

Admittedly it is hard to say for sure and Q makes a good point about the hair types. Some of the afro-asiatics have wooly or natty hair with beards like the sadhus of India where as some of the blackheads are described as dark haired and beardless like many east asians of today. Safe to say that a fair amount of racial mixing would have been unavoidable so foucssing on race too much will not really be helpful. This is when following the trail of the serpent may be more helpful. In the OT it talks about the tribe of Dan as leaving a trail like a serpent and recall that Samson was of the tribe of Dan with his uncut hair, rather like a dreadlocked Sadhu.

Here is an extract I found that shows how academia has approached the argument over the years.

Before the Chaldean

rule in Mesopotamia, there were the empires of the

Sumerians, Akkadians, Babylonians and Assyrians. The earliest civilization

of Mesopotamia was that of the Sumerians. They

are designated in the Assyrio-Babylonian inscriptions as the black-heads or

black-faced people, and they are shown on the

monuments as beardless and with shaven heads. This easily distinguishes

them from the Semitic Babylonians, who are shown

with beards and long hair. From the myths and traditions of the Babylonians

we learn that their culture came originally from the

south. Sir Henry Rawlinson concluded from this and other evidence that the

first civilized inhabitants of Sumer and Akkad were

immigrants from the African Ethiopia. John D. Baldwin, the American

Orientalist, on the other hand, claims that since ancient

Arabia was also known as Ethiopia, they could have just as well come from

that country. These theories are rejected by Dr. II.

R. Hall, of the Dept. Of Egyptian & Assyrian Antiquities of the British

Museum, who contends that Mesopotamia was civilized

by a migration from India. "The ethnic type of the Sumerians, so strongly

marked in their statues and reliefs," says Dr. Hall,

"was as different from those of the races which surrounded them as was

their language from those of the Semites, Aryans, or

others; they were decidedly Indian in type. The face-type of the average

Indian of today is no doubt much the same as that of

his Dravidian race ancestors thousands of years ago. � And it is to this

Dravidian ethnic type of India that the ancient Sumerian

bears most resemblance, so far as we can judge from his monuments. � And it

is by no means improbable that the Sumerians

were an Indian race which passed, certainly by land, perhaps also by sea,

through Persia to the valley of the Two Rivers. It was

in the Indian home (perhaps the Indus valley) that we suppose for them that

their culture developed. � On the way they left the

seeds of their culture in Elam. � There is little doubt that India must

have been one of the earliest centers of human civilization,

and it seems natural to suppose that the strange un-Semitic, un-Aryan

people who came from the East to civilize the West were

of Indian origin, especially when we see with our own eyes how very Indian

the Sumerians were in type." (The Ancient

History of the Near East, pp. 173�174, London, 1916.) Hall is opposed in

his theory of Sumerian origins by Dr. W. J. Perry,

the great anthropologist, of the University of London. "The Sumerian

stories or origins themselves tell a very different tale,"

Perry points out, "for from their beginnings the Sumerians seem to have

been in touch with Egypt. Some of their early texts

mention Dilmun, Magan and Meluhha. � Dilmun was the first settlement that

was made by the god Enki, who was the founder

of Sumerian civilization. � Magan was famous among the Sumerians as a place

whence they got diorite and copper, Meluhha

as a place whence they got gold. Dilmun has been identified with some place

or other in the Persian Gulf, perhaps the Bahrein

Islands, perhaps a land on the eastern shore of the Gulf. � In a late

inscription of the Assyrians it is said that Magan and

Meluhha were the archaic names for Egypt and Ethiopia, the latter being the

south-western part of Somaliand that lay

opposite." (The Growth of Civilization, pp. 60�61, 2nd Edition,

Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England, 1937, Published by

Penguin Books, Ltd.)

http://www.tamil.net/list/2000-12/msg00591.html

Apologies to anyone who was hoping this would be a discussion of the Anunnaki or reptoids but by all means feel free to contribute along these lines if you can find decent material.

Here is a sort link on the mythology of the Nagas but there is far more to it. They are said to have occupied the Kashmir region, which was originally a great lake. Afterwards they are said to have retreated into the inner earth.

http://www.jh-author.com/nagas.htm

Another aspect of the serpent connection is how many greek myhtologicl figures were part serpent such as Cercrops. Also consider how the word Ophir, perhaps coming from India could correspond to the Orphic tradition of Greece.

Maybe a bit naughty but can we extend the serpent tradition to those of the megalithic builders. Stonehenge predates the druids but they were the 'adders' and made use of the site. Noone is sure who erected the structure. From what I have learnt so far it seems like these Nagas were responsible for Angkor Watt which is an impressive construction and I'm also thinking they were the Olmecs as I already mentioned who were the proto maya and perhaps passed on the secrets of construction. I presume they would have taken the route from east China towards Bolivia rather than west Africa to Brazil as is commonly thought. Just some thougths but the Ziggurats of Sumer and the Pyramids of the egyptian old kingdom were most likely created by these balck asiatics or black heads. That's enough for now but I'll try and make a summary of points of enquiry for the benefit and ease of the discussion. Keep it real.

http://www.seachild.net/atlantis/earlycivs.html

I promised a breakdown of the points that this thread could cover so here goes:

1)Sumerian builders were 'black heads' meaning black asiatics, they built irriation systems and ziggurats,

2)Sumerian culture had peaceful contact with the Dravidians and Harappan cultures for many years,

3)The egyptian builders of the old kingdom were black asiatic rather than exclusively negroid,

4)The history of Africa has been underestimated (see link below),

5)A group of black serpent worshippers retreated to lake Kashmir, they were the Nagas and formed part of indian myth,

6)Black asiatics had a large influence on ancient China,

7)Were the Olmecs a migrating group of these people of afro-asiatic origin?

8)Is there a connection between words Cush, Kush, Kashmir, Ksatriyas, Kassites, Cuthites, etc,

That's about all I've got for now. I will be dissappearing soon but not like our friedn Astrios who seems to have been silenced :lol: (only joking) where are you mate? Hope you guys can dig up some material for my return, especially if it totally refutes what I am saying. Please prove me wrong.

So here is what I found. I know it may seem a bit afrocentric but please consider the information and not be prejudiced against the source or the apparent agenda.

The Sudra were black. They inhabited Pakistan, southern India and Sri Lanka. The Sudra Kingdom, mentioned in the epic of Mahabharata, was one of the ancient Saraswati Valley kingdoms. Herodotus referred to the Sudra/Dravidians as the “eastern Ethiopians” and described them thus: “The Eastern Ethiopians differed in nothing from the other Ethiopians, save in their language, and the character of their hair. For the Eastern Ethiopians have straight hair, while they of Libya are more woolly-haired…” [2]

They buried their dead in wooden coffins with the heads toward the north (symbol of God’s throne and the place of judgment) and the feet toward the south (the symbol of fertility and rebirth). This distinguished the Sudra from other Indians who practiced cremation. This parallels the burial practices at ancient Hierakonpolis[3], where archeaologists have discovered a 3000 B.C. life-sized statue of a Horite priest, a 2300 B.C. golden hawk head of Horus, and a ruler's grave with a triple interment of a bull, cow and calf. [4]

It is not certain that all Dravidians venerated Horus and his Father, Osiris, as divine. In the Horite myth the two are frequently interchangeable - "I and my Father are one", as Jesus explained. (They are also all seeing, even when their eyes are dimmed by blood.) The Vedas speak of falcon-shaped fire-altars. These are associated with Horus, whose totem is the falcon. Vedic tradition teaches that "he who desires heaven is to construct a fire-altar in the form of a falcon." [5]

Temple of Horus

Kingdom Building and Missionary Priests

The oldest Dravidian traditions speak of ancient prehistoric kingdoms in southern India, extending further south into land that is now under the seas. The Sudra didn’t establish cities in the north, but their priests traveled as far as Nepal where they are called "Harwa", the ancient Egyptian word for priest. These ruler-priests are largely responsible for the diffusion of the Afro-Asiatic religious life that took root around the large water systems from west central Africa to the Indus River Valley. It is a religious life that shares eight distinctive features, all of which are found in the Bible and constitute the biblical worldview.

Legacy of the Ancient Afro-Asiatic River Civilizations

The Afro-Asiatic river civilizations built upon a social network of rulers and priests who shared a common worldview. The rulers were regarded as semi-divine beings and they exercised great power over their subjects. Their priests were responsible for the diffusion of the Afro-Asiatic worldview and cosmology across a vast expanse from modern Nigeria to Nepal. They built cities, monuments, temples, shrines and ships. They traded within their territories using the waterways to transport goods and they crossed seas to trade with others.

People who know me may realize I don't want to agree with all of the above but if that is what the evidence says then I will accept it. Is Harappan and the Hurrians named after Horus? I'd like to think not but history is full of surprises.

http://jandyongenesis.blogspot.com/2010/03/afro-asiatic-kingdom-building.html

The four groups of Africoids who migrated to Asia between 100,000 BC to as recently as the settlement of Hu-Na-Kunte on the Loh River Valley in China, were:

1. Tall Negroid types with kinky hair similar to Melanesians

2. Negro-Anu (like the Australian Aborigines and some Tribals of India) and Indo-Negroids with curly and straigh hair similar in appearance to Africa's Tibbou and Anuak and some Ethiopians.

3, Kong-San people whose features are identical to that of East Asian Mongoloids.

4. Pygmoids similar in appearance to the Andaman Islanders, Negritoes of the Philipines, Agta and others.

These are the major groups who first settled Asia between 100,000 to 50,000 years ago. These four types of Black African Negroids are responsible for the creation of all the fairskinned and brown-skinned races on planet earth today.

http://nubianem.tripod.com/blackafroasia/id5.html

What are opinions on all of this and how does it change the telling of history?

What if any is the legacy of this ancient culture on the western world primarily through the development of Greece? The way I see it is that race stopped being an issue in the bronze age or before but this gradually change where it became more of a taboo. Hence the need for the culture of the serpent to go underground so to speak but through interpretation of greek myth perhaps there is a story to be told that reflects history.

If you are immediately dismissing this as nonsense then consider why this is? Is it an unconscious prejudice that we have been conditoned to hold or is it the fact that the evidence does not support any of my claims? The END :ph34r:

• 6 years later...

looks like one . 

Edited by back to earth

This whole thread is on shaky ground, since it's using specifically modern notions about race and projecting them (very) far backwards into the past. Ancient cultures -- and I point here specifically to Egypt, in the hopes people with more specific knowledge (hi, kmt!) can elaborate more effectively -- didn't consider themselves "white" or "black in the simple dyad used commonly today. Hell, even today it's hardly a universal standard, being mostly restricted to caucasian-dominated circle like the USA and Western Europe. Thinking about the past means being aware of using the pasts' understanding, because using our own terms leads to confusion and error.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 2

Shhhhh   !   Dont wake up kmt   for a 6 year old    necro    ( Mummies  need their sleep )  .

• Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 0:55 PM, Clf27 said:

Is this a Naga staff? 

14811367431781732630852.jpg

It is a modern piece made for sale to tourists... so there's no telling what it's supposed to be.

• 4 weeks later...

:D     ... why re post in it again then ?       Do you get sucked in reading the  first post of the page ?

Some lovely assumptions in that ;)