Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Taking Philosophy This Semester..

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

I've never really ventured into the concept of it myself, but I've always read scripts and quotes from different philosophers.

Have to drive to USCL every day for the first semester, for one class. Hope it's worth it.

Any advice on how to prepare my self to excel in the studies?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheVeryFirstDinosaur

• Aim4TheHead

• _Only

• Pauly Dangerously

Top Posters In This Topic

Your teacher doesn't understand Aristotle :devil:

Lol, doubt it. We have no actual teacher, just someone who provides the studies and programs. Self-teach class.

She's a religious belligerent idiot.

Any advice on how to prepare my self to excel in the studies?

will tell you all you need to know.

:P

*hic*

study and re-read everything :tu:

I took it about 2 years ago, I don't know how the class will be for you since you say there won't really be a teacher but in my class the homework was easy and the exams were a little hard since it's mostly theories.

I would also take a lot of notes.

Thanks.

I'll just start quoting Kansas lyrics.

Edited by New Ares

My biggest advice: Dabble into every type of Philosophy out there (Logics, Metaphysics, Existentialism, Aristotle, etc.), pick type you like best, and take more in depth courses on it.

For me, I took a liking to Existentialism (Nietzsche in particular) because it actually provided a decent philosophy for living a life that you'd find commendable. It was no longer about "Are we really here?" or "Am I really alive?" like Descartes provided in Metaphysics (fun none the less but not as applicable), it was more about "We are here, now we deal with it and we base our philosophies on the reality around us".

Philosophy will open your mind. I honestly feel that I have grown more intellectually from minoring in Philosophy, than I have majoring in Psychology (don't get me wrong, I have learnt a lot in Psych, but Phil teaches you to think much differently than you ever have before).

Have a blast. I know I did.

Are you really taking a philosphy class? Is any of this really happening at all? Is the whole world just a figment of your imagination? What if you are just a figment of someone else's imagination? Can you prove that any of this is real?

Good luck. Have fun with it and realize there are no right answers.

You know what they say about philosophy. Kind of like theoretical physics.

There are no wrong answers. Good luck!

*edit* - Just read Paul Noise's. Damn, I gotta read posts before replying...

Edited by Jerry Only