Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fan Voices

antonioooooooo

I didn't hear all this when I was younger and more paranoid. We live in a more uptight world as far as I am concerned.

Very odd. There seems to be more than a normal number of people here reporting that they hear voices in fans. Most of you are saying it happens between awake and falling asleep. It's in that trance like state. Just odd that it has happened to so many people. It makes me wonder about vortexes and if they are some type of disturbance where two worlds meet? It has to be something with all these different posters speaking up?

This sounds (excuse the Pun) like a play on Hypnagogic sounds..

Wikipedia uses the term hallucination, though I tend to think that these kinds of phenomena do not deserve the kind language that treats any experience as dismissive.

The fan creates a white noise effect similar to the gansfield experiment..

Hypnagogic hallucinations are often auditory or have an auditory component. Like the visuals, hypnagogic sounds vary in intensity from faint impressions to loud noises, such as crashes and bangs (exploding head syndrome). People may imagine their own name called or a doorbell ringing. Snatches of imagined speech are common. While typically nonsensical and fragmented, these speech events can occasionally strike the individual as apt comments on—or summations of—their thoughts at the time. They often contain word play, neologisms and made-up names. Hypnagogic speech may manifest as the subject's own "inner voice", or as the voices of others: familiar people or strangers. More rarely, poetry or music is heard.[26]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

I may be able to help... one question (to anyone who hears these hummimg/whirring/groaning sounds...)

May I ask you to check and see whether they tend to happen on or near the hour or half-hour and tend to last only a minute or few thereof..?

There may be a mundane explanation for some/most/all of it... You may be surprised to know that power companies use the power supply to 'talk' to some devices on the grid! Your local situation may vary, but here where I live every thirty minutes on the hour and half hour (and sometimes at other intervals) they send a series of 'ripple signals' at ~1050Hz into the electricity supply grid. These signals, also known here as "Audio Frequency Load Control (AFLC)" are used to switch various automated devices that change tariffs and perform other tasks on demand - eg hot water services and other devices that they may wish to turn on/off to control the load... Problem is, these signals are audible in many devices (like ceiling fans and other motorised devices) and things which contain noisy transformers or sensitive electronics. It doesn't hurt them, but it can be annoying. Some power supply companies may prefer you didn't know about this, because they would rather you don't go chasing them to find out how to fix something that they are causing. You can get filters to stop it, but they can be expensive, and in most cases it is only a minor annoyance..

As they often send several sequences of signals at varying intervals and lengths, it can indeed sound just like muted voices... I hear it most days/nights (hot climate, ceiling fans) and sorta like it... it's quite soothing if you don't think of it in a sinister way..

You can read a discussion about it on a woodworking (!) forum here, and some more information (for those into scientific papers), can be found here...

Thanks for ya'lls help. I have switched to a sound machine and the white noise element of this particular device is all over the 'bandwidth'. I may hear backup singers for some doo-wap group to very muttled conversations. I got too scared of the babbly brook telling me about my doors being locked and unlocked.

I tend to believe the sciences.

I have a neurologist and mentioned an 'issue' I was having (no I am not schizo or bipolor) and she said the brain will try and turn images we see into human form. So 'audio' hallucinations also make sense. I was being treated for epilepsy for years but then she all of a sudden decided my s/s were stress-related. Uh-huh.

Try recording the noise and play it through your PC using internal mic & external speakers? If they are entities, and they ARE trying to communicate, we should probably give them a better chance to do so.

Edited by -Desiderata-

In my experience, whenever something only ever happens when an appliance or device is operating then the appliance or device is responsible. I often hear audio oddities from the combination of motor and fan blade noises combining together.

However, that may not explain all cases of people hearing voices in their head. (not to derail the topic but) I've read in the Bible that the Lord may be heard as a "still small voice". Take from that what you will.

My first experience (2005) with voices from nowhere was a sign post. I was inside hospital grounds awaiting a taxi after visiting a family member. Across the road there was a large metal sign twisting as the wind caught it. It generated a loud screech. Half way through the screech, the tone altered into a tone that I recognised, and just one word was spoken clearly "Sorry" The screech altered back to it's own metal-like screeching immediately. I wished I'd recorded it.

Edited by -Desiderata-

Boy, am I glad I stumbled upon this thread. I thought I was the only one. I also hear voices in the presence of white noise, usually associated with a fan. Not just prior to sleep but anytime it's running. It usually sounds like several people speaking at once. I figured it's just my mind trying to make sense of something, like seeing faces in the clouds. I'm also very prone to seeing faces and figures in any random patterns, like wood grain or marble.

Wikipedia, Pareidolia "is a psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant."

I suppose some people are more prone to this phenomenon than others. I suspect that when I was a child I also had mild synesthesia. I always perceived the days of the week as colors. Other series of things were also perceived as colors but not as persistently. Could there be a connection?

Boy, am I glad I stumbled upon this thread. I thought I was the only one. I also hear voices in the presence of white noise, usually associated with a fan. Not just prior to sleep but anytime it's running. It usually sounds like several people speaking at once. I figured it's just my mind trying to make sense of something, like seeing faces in the clouds. I'm also very prone to seeing faces and figures in any random patterns, like wood grain or marble.

Wikipedia, Pareidolia "is a psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant."

I suppose some people are more prone to this phenomenon than others. I suspect that when I was a child I also had mild synesthesia. I always perceived the days of the week as colors. Other series of things were also perceived as colors but not as persistently. Could there be a connection?

Not sure about the "colours" you speak of. Pareidolia can be accountable for much strange noise suggestive of words, and images suggestive of faces, but I believe there is a lot going on where "Pareidolia" is not the answer.

About "colours" There was a time that whenever I walked on the surface of say a shopping center, I could feel the change of colour in the floor tiles through my feet as I walked. It felt uncomfortable.

• 7 months later...

Three years later and I think I figured out the connection between the voices, music, and the fan. Here is my theory. As the fan blades go around they are cutting into the air, making vibrations. These vibrations could be cutting into a parallel dimension, or the veil that hides whats on the other side or where one goes after leaving this life. It is basic physics actually. What do ya'll think?

I wouldn't be worried about spirits possessing your fan- it is most likely your brain processing the fan's noise in a way that may be familiar or known in anyway to you. I searched and still have no word for this, but I am sure it is due to the neurology of your brain coping with the continuous noise of your fan.

Edit to add: Your neurological functions are trying to relate the noise and function of the fan and translate it into what you can readily relate to or understand in your perceptions..

Edited by SpiritWalker7
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but does anyone(particularly at night) hear things? like for example this only happens when my fan is on. I lay in my bed then out of nowhere i hear some of my thoughts at loud and it sounds like its coming from my fan. I can also think of a song or something and i hear it clear as day coming from my fan. It is very weird and sometimes scary because sometimes i hear weird talking or screaming like a someone dying and stuff so i get freaked out. This only happens at night

Hello,

When I'm hung over or just not slept much due to mania (from Bi-polar) I sometimes hear a faint, intricate, angelic singing whilst in the shower. It is not there before I get in and after I get out of the shower, only whilst in the shower. My assumption is that my damaged brain misinterprets the noise of the water into something nice. Most people don't think of all of the different sounds a shower makes, but there are many like the fire in the boiler, the pump, the water in the pipes, the water coming out of the shower head, the many sounds of the water hitting myself, hitting the bath, hitting the taps, hitting the glass screen, hitting water in the bath, the sound of it going down the plug hole, the sound of it running down the pipe, the sound of the extractor fan etc. Instead of being able to disregard them all my mind has to listen to them all but as I'd probably go mad it makes it into the most amazing music you could ever wish to hear.

My guess is that you have something similar going on in your mind and that your brain is not interpreting the noise correctly and adding more information. Possibly some sleep paralysis going on as well if you are laying down.

Solutions could include putting a separate sound source like a radio or tv at low volume or changing the fan. You can also get little soft foam buds that squash to the shape of your inner ear (they use them in loud factories), they are very cheap and just shove them in if you trying to get some relaxation.

Edited by George Ford

Here's a link to another thread of people reporting the same phenomenon. The brain tries organize random sound giving the impression of voices, music, whatever seems reasonable to the mind. http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1805033/pg1

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but does anyone(particularly at night) hear things? like for example this only happens when my fan is on. I lay in my bed then out of nowhere i hear some of my thoughts at loud and it sounds like its coming from my fan. I can also think of a song or something and i hear it clear as day coming from my fan. It is very weird and sometimes scary because sometimes i hear weird talking or screaming like a someone dying and stuff so i get freaked out. This only happens at night

Slightly off topic. Some nights when lying in bed i would here what sounded like lawn mowers going off outside, now this would be past 11pm at night so logically no one would be out there at that time of night. Thinking i was crazy my recently passed mother in law said she heard the same noise as well asking me why would someone be mowing at that time,

Also i listen to rain noises to help me to sleep on a white noise machine and i have heard voices as wellmainly male voices.

Edited by The Rani
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also i listen to rain noises to help me to sleep on a white noise machine and i have heard voices as well, mainly male voices.

Can you make out any words when this happens?

Can you make out any words when this happens?

Not

so much words but it sounds like several males talking at once

• Like 1

Two nights ago I heard the voices, this time the fan was not on as it is getting cold. I laid there straining my ears and asking myself if I am really hearing it. A man and a woman were having a conversation. No, I could not make out what the words were. This has happened several times before over the years but tonight it really bothered me. I finally went to sleep.

Last night the same thing. It was approx 1:30 am. I was dozing off when I heard the man and woman. It sounded like they were in the basement. I went so far as to get out of bed and put my ear to the floor. Then I went into the bathroom and crouched down in the darkness by an air vent. Sure enough I heard them, also some bumping around. I quietly went to the kitchen and grabbed a flashlight and went into the basement. I left the lights off cause I was gona catch who ever it was. Nobody... There was no one there. I checked every room and the garage. I know this isn't paradonia orin my head. WTF?

• Like 1

Two nights ago I heard the voices, this time the fan was not on as it is getting cold. I laid there straining my ears and asking myself if I am really hearing it. A man and a woman were having a conversation. No, I could not make out what the words were. This has happened several times before over the years but tonight it really bothered me. I finally went to sleep.

Last night the same thing. It was approx 1:30 am. I was dozing off when I heard the man and woman. It sounded like they were in the basement. I went so far as to get out of bed and put my ear to the floor. Then I went into the bathroom and crouched down in the darkness by an air vent. Sure enough I heard them, also some bumping around. I quietly went to the kitchen and grabbed a flashlight and went into the basement. I left the lights off cause I was gona catch who ever it was. Nobody... There was no one there. I checked every room and the garage. I know this isn't paradonia orin my head. WTF?

Spooky.

i think it's time to start recording.

• Like 1

I experience acoustic anomalies when in the shower or with other types of running water. it's where we get the term "babbling brook" I suppose.

• Like 1

I think the bolded sentence alone debunks the idea that you are hearing something paranormal. The mind is a powerful thing. Our brains automatically try to make sense out of visual and auditory experiences when they aren't clear. You're most likely getting apprehensive when this happens and automatically start to think about things that frighten you. I don't think you have anything to be worried about :) . Now if some really unexplainable things begin to happen while the fan is going, well that's another story.

Edited by KNash

Mmm, maybe you're clairaudiance is apparent .

Yeah, the OP ain't gonna be chiming in on this one.

None the less, if anyone is hearing 'voices' when the fan is on but not when it's off, well, i need not explain any further.

• Like 2