Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

flashes of blue light

gordie

something strange has been happening to me and my wife over the last month. i'm writing this with the hope of finding an explanation and/or others who have experienced this. this post may be a bit long but i'd appreciate any and all feedback.

it started just over a month ago. me and my wife were walking home from the store at about 11pm. suddenly a very quick, blue flash [that was angled from the sky just to our left] caught our attention. we stood there confused for a moment and then looked for the source. we could see nothing that could have made that flash. also, the flash was consistently lit, almost like an LED light. it felt focused and almost beam-like. but that also could just be afterthoughts and exaggeration.

anyway, we shrugged it off until a week later when i was walking home from a different store at about 4 am. a was walking on the sidewalk, in front a stores big front window, when that same flash came out of the sky again. it reflected in the window and i swear i saw a little black box at the source, but, that might have also been a trick of the light in the reflection.

about a week after that my wife went to a BBQ in portland [we live in vancouver, wa.] and just after dark she happened to look across the street and saw that blue flash. this time though, there was a flash followed by two bottom flashes, making a triangle. what made this special was that a few of her friends saw the flash as well. she crossed the street to look for the source and found nothing. later that night she went to a bar with some friends and took a table outside. she was again flashed by the same light, angled from the sky.

the last incident happened almost 2 weeks ago when i was walking home from the store again. it was earlier than the other times, about 9pm. just as i left the parking lot of the store i had that same blue flash again. this time there were 2 flashes at the same time, one to my right and one to my left. in the same second 3 car alarms went off and my phone made a loud crazy tone. when i checked my phone it had an error messege i have never seen something about "sorry, cannot access this program". i had to pull my battery to get the tone to stop.

i've considered lightning but this seems unlikely considering how many times we've expercienced these flashes AND that they have happened in other area with other witnesses. also, there have only been a handful of days with weather to produce lightning. ive thought of meteors too, but again the coincidense seems too unlikely.

i'm a big guy, dont get scared much. but this has me pretty concerned for me and my wife's safety. i'm not just looking for some paranormal reasoning but am running out of reasonable answers or thoughts. so please, anyone with any ideas please let me know.

thanks,

gordie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've heard of people seeing lights like this before. Let me look for a link...yes, here's a link in regard to this phenomenon. I can't say as I recall anyone ever coming to a conclusion as to exactly what caused the lights though. Does appear to be quite the mystery.

I think I have had an experience kind of like this.

It starts one night when I was in my sitting room watching a movie (on the laptop), I felt the atmosphere drop and saw something out of the corner of my eye. Yes, this scared me so I said something to this "thing". And after I said this a sharp misty flashing blue light came past me and everything went okay from there. I condensed the story for you.

Ive had stuff like this happen to me before.

on more than a few occasions ive been out at night with friends and see a flash, usually out of the corner of my eye, but sometimes right in direct sight. anyway, when i see it and none of my friends react to anything i ask "did anyone see that?" or if it looks cloudy ill say "was that lightning?" and they always say they didnt see anything.

i have no idea what this could be

Ironically last night I saw a blue flahs of light for the first time (in that way) when I was walking at 9pm near the bombing site, I just happened to be looking up in the direction, not out of the corner of my eye but in plain site what appeared to look like a shooting star because it was going so fast and was blue light, but it was headed right toward the military bombing site..makes you wonder.

Ironically last night I saw a blue flahs of light for the first time (in that way) when I was walking at 9pm near the bombing site, I just happened to be looking up in the direction, not out of the corner of my eye but in plain site what appeared to look like a shooting star because it was going so fast and was blue light, but it was headed right toward the military bombing site..makes you wonder.

Puridilan ,

For yours , there is a strong meteor shower right now :)

For the Op's , I have no idea , or any suggestions for now......Other than if he or his wife look like any famous people , than obviously it is the Paparazzi thumbsup.gif

Very strange thread though , hope something turns up on this.

Again i would say meteors (the perseids peak tonight) but then again the coincidences are too much and you say the flashes were consistant.

What were they like exactly- i mean did the light appear to be an object travelling at high speed with lights? Or did it appear to come from a stationary source?

Again i would say meteors (the perseids peak tonight) but then again the coincidences are too much and you say the flashes were consistant.

What were they like exactly- i mean did the light appear to be an object travelling at high speed with lights? Or did it appear to come from a stationary source?

i dismissed it as a meteor or lightning at first, but what are the odds that these things would happen so vividly and so often? the best i can describe the flash is that it had the quick and sharp characteristics of a bright -very bright- camera flash. the light was blue, but i can't quite put my finger on what shade it was. in every experience the light was stationary. like from a fixed source in the sky. i'd say maybe 5 stories high at the very most. it was high enough that the first time it happened we used the top of an old pine tree to judge it by.

also, concerning the actual light itself, there were strange characteristics that i have a hard time putting into suitable words. the best i can describe it is that within the flash there was a more focused, beam-like light. sorta like the flash surrounded the beam, if you get what im saying. but it lasted the same duration as the flash. as a whole, the light reminded me of the same consistency that a bright L.E.D. light has... only obviously much brighter.

nothing further has happened since the last experience, but we have also not journeyed out much. one thing that may or may not have anything to do with it, but i still find interesting, is that over the last 6 months [really a year, but the bulk is within 6 months] oregon, mostly portland and vancouver [just across the river in washington] has had a significant increase in UFO sightings and other strange things.

i appriciate everyone's feedback. this is still a huge concern for me and it's hard to bring up "wierd flashing blue lights" to your fundamentalist family. i think they start laughing and dismissing before the words leave my mouth. haha.

I immediatly thought of UFOs when reading your description then, still it poses a strange mystery at that. Perhaps get in touch with a group who deal with these things in your area (if you have one)and see if they have noticed these lights.

In my experience i know if no natural phenomenon to cause lights or meteors to do this, so indeed it rules this out. It is more likey to be of a UFO origin than anything else in my opinion.

rich

• 3 years later...

hello i just goggled,"what are the blue flashes of light at night," and it referenced me here. anyway i see the blue streaks often while im on my nightly bicycle ride. by reading others posts i believe we see the same thing. tho i did not read all of them. when i first noticed the blue light i was in a pretty dark area and i caught it out of the corner of my eye. well i started to notice this was a frequent thing. so one night i stopped and just looked at the side of a building where i had seen a blue streak. and there it was every few seconds it would flash by. its really kind of difficult to see it. some one described here as it like a l.e.d. light that seems to make its rounds. thats how i would say explain it to.

the only thing that seems to make sense would be some kind of an alarm of motion detector maybe? I am glad that others have seen the blue streak. i didnt really want to ask anyone in person. lol

• 1 year later...

I saw this too, in Sterling Heights, Mi. I was on the phone with a girl who lives about 15 min SE of me....Anyway, while on the phone she mentioned to me that she had seen a blue flash in the sky. A flash that she said made a loud noise like a transistor had blown. I brushed her off jokingly until I looked outside for a few moments and saw the same blue light flash in the sky as it slowly moved eastward. This went on for about 3 or 4 minutes. During that time the call dropped between me and her.

• 7 months later...

I saw a very similar thing. I'll recount my experience from 2010.

I was returning from Nottingham in the UK to near Sheffield around 1am after dropping a member of staff off in the city, after our evening journey back from working in London. The main road was dark and quiet, heading due north, about 10 miles before Ollerton. I was the only vehicle on the road.

I got quite a shock as about 1/4 mile ahead of me about 100ft from the ground an air craft passed slowly from west to east over the road. It was just a black shape with what looked like windows down the side. Very peculiar though as my impression was of a jet liner lit up windows. I rationalised that it must have been a helicopter being so low, and thought it must have been a Chinook with windows lit up. Anyway a couple of miles further on I saw the craft heading north parallel to me about a mile or two away, over the fields. Again the impression of a jet liner rather than a large helicopter.

I didn't see anything more of the craft, but about 5 minutes later there was the most enormous blue flash. It was brightest to the north horizon, and totally lit up the entire sky with an intense vivid electric blue. It lasted about one second then dissipated. A few miles further as I was driving through Sherwood Forest again the same blue light. Massively bright, lighting up the entire sky, with the brightest intensity to the north.

The only thought I had had was that a jet was extremely low and lost, and that the local airport at Doncaster had set off locating beacons for it to locate the runway. Very strange though as the weather was clear, no moon, and still. So why would a plane get so low and lost in those conditions. The appearance of the aircraft was odd too as it moved much slower than I would expect a jet to be able to keep in the air.

The sight off the odd air craft was enough for me to remember the incident clearly, but then the blue flashes in the sky just after really made me question what on earth was happening.

On 8/10/2010 at 3:20 AM, gordie said:

something strange has been happening to me and my wife over the last month. i'm writing this with the hope of finding an explanation and/or others who have experienced this. this post may be a bit long but i'd appreciate any and all feedback.

it started just over a month ago. me and my wife were walking home from the store at about 11pm. suddenly a very quick, blue flash [that was angled from the sky just to our left] caught our attention. we stood there confused for a moment and then looked for the source. we could see nothing that could have made that flash. also, the flash was consistently lit, almost like an LED light. it felt focused and almost beam-like. but that also could just be afterthoughts and exaggeration.

anyway, we shrugged it off until a week later when i was walking home from a different store at about 4 am. a was walking on the sidewalk, in front a stores big front window, when that same flash came out of the sky again. it reflected in the window and i swear i saw a little black box at the source, but, that might have also been a trick of the light in the reflection.

about a week after that my wife went to a BBQ in portland [we live in vancouver, wa.] and just after dark she happened to look across the street and saw that blue flash. this time though, there was a flash followed by two bottom flashes, making a triangle. what made this special was that a few of her friends saw the flash as well. she crossed the street to look for the source and found nothing. later that night she went to a bar with some friends and took a table outside. she was again flashed by the same light, angled from the sky.

the last incident happened almost 2 weeks ago when i was walking home from the store again. it was earlier than the other times, about 9pm. just as i left the parking lot of the store i had that same blue flash again. this time there were 2 flashes at the same time, one to my right and one to my left. in the same second 3 car alarms went off and my phone made a loud crazy tone. when i checked my phone it had an error messege i have never seen something about "sorry, cannot access this program". i had to pull my battery to get the tone to stop.

i've considered lightning but this seems unlikely considering how many times we've expercienced these flashes AND that they have happened in other area with other witnesses. also, there have only been a handful of days with weather to produce lightning. ive thought of meteors too, but again the coincidense seems too unlikely.

i'm a big guy, dont get scared much. but this has me pretty concerned for me and my wife's safety. i'm not just looking for some paranormal reasoning but am running out of reasonable answers or thoughts. so please, anyone with any ideas please let me know.

thanks,

gordie

It sounds like some kind of atmospheric event not really paranormal. I've seen florescent light blue flashes too and they seem to effect electromagnetic fields sometimes. I've seen green as well, they were meteorites but the blue ones weren't caused by meteorites so I think they are more like aura borealis type of thing only effecting a small area in atmosphere. I brush them off as nature in action when they appear.

My suggestion would be to contact your local power authority - they may have some open air high voltage transformers/switches in that region.  When high voltage lines are switched, there can be a huge and very bright blue arc, and the flash may be seen from some kilometres away...  Perhaps they are doing maintenance on some lines? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

My suggestion would be to contact your local power authority - they may have some open air high voltage transformers/switches in that region.  When high voltage lines are switched, there can be a huge and very bright blue arc, and the flash may be seen from some kilometres away...  Perhaps they are doing maintenance on some lines? 

That really might explain my blue flashes too.  I live very close to a power plant and they are doing many upgrades all the time. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, I hope people are still reading this....

I have seen something quite similar, bright flashes, but in the middle of the day.. 

The first time happened at my parent's home (i was trying to explain ufos to my mom) We were sitting down at the tavle by the window when suddendly a very bright flash of light blinded me and her, my father was sitting in the living, we all remained quite but my heart was racing, my dad: what was that?

We had no clue.

A few days after that while i was sitting in the couch watching The Revenant with my brother and pregnant sister in law, and again it must had been 6:00 pm when we saw thw bright flash coming through our window and blinding the three of us...i explained to them ehat had happened at my parents'.

Then three days after that my bother stood to walk into the bathroom the same flash came through the window, i was in the kitchen but even i saw it..he was blinded for a few seconds and even bumped the door(lol).

We live in a small trailer surrounded by pecan trees..so i doubt it came from the sky ... to this day i still dont know what it's going on.

• 1 month later...

This blue light is still a mystery,this 2016,and i saw a huge blue flash in the tree across the street,it is definitely out of the norm,and scared me

it happened about 5:35 this morning in beach city tx does anyone know what this is

12 minutes ago, s.b. said:

This blue light is still a mystery,this 2016,and i saw a huge blue flash in the tree across the street,it is definitely out of the norm,and scared me

it happened about 5:35 this morning in beach city tx does anyone know what this is

If it takes up the whole sky, most likely something meteorological. Blue flashes are not a mystery in 2016.

If you think you saw it 'in a tree', it could be any number of things. Are there transmission lines close by?

• 1 month later...

Hello all...Im basically going to help set some minds to rest i hope...I myself have seen these mysterious blue flashes of light..I actually joined this community forum today to maybe help out with some of these mystery claims.  So please bare with me...just this evening in the south side of the city of Spokane WA, I was standing up on the balcony outside of my third story apartment building and happened to see a bright blue flash of light out of the right side of my face. At first I was very confused at where this could have been originated from. The weather outside here is cold, overcast and rainy on the cusp of snow and ice. However looking to my right i discovered there is an electrical transformer on the pole. So...Im going to have to debunk this...and toss this to the electric company.

• 7 months later...
On Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 1:35 AM, gordie said:

i dismissed it as a meteor or lightning at first, but what are the odds that these things would happen so vividly and so often? the best i can describe the flash is that it had the quick and sharp characteristics of a bright -very bright- camera flash. the light was blue, but i can't quite put my finger on what shade it was. in every experience the light was stationary. like from a fixed source in the sky. i'd say maybe 5 stories high at the very most. it was high enough that the first time it happened we used the top of an old pine tree to judge it by.

also, concerning the actual light itself, there were strange characteristics that i have a hard time putting into suitable words. the best i can describe it is that within the flash there was a more focused, beam-like light. sorta like the flash surrounded the beam, if you get what im saying. but it lasted the same duration as the flash. as a whole, the light reminded me of the same consistency that a bright L.E.D. light has... only obviously much brighter.

nothing further has happened since the last experience, but we have also not journeyed out much. one thing that may or may not have anything to do with it, but i still find interesting, is that over the last 6 months [really a year, but the bulk is within 6 months] oregon, mostly portland and vancouver [just across the river in washington] has had a significant increase in UFO sightings and other strange things.

i appriciate everyone's feedback. this is still a huge concern for me and it's hard to bring up "wierd flashing blue lights" to your fundamentalist family. i think they start laughing and dismissing before the words leave my mouth. haha.

Where to begin? Well I've always been very intrigued by space n have been star gazing almost every night for the past month or so. I've seen the blue "flashies" (my very technical term for the unidentified blue flashes haha) about 1 to 5 times a night almost every single day I'm out there n I usually only stay for about 2 to 3 hrs. 

The only person here that sounds like they saw what I've been currently seeing is the OP Gordie. And what's even weirder is that there are a ton of similarities between our stories. #1. We both are from Washington State. I'm from Tacoma which is about an hr south of the OP. #2. I'm seeing them at the same time of year the OP was seeing them but 7 years later. #3. He describes them exactly how I would. 

What I'm seeing is bright whiteish blue flashes that are as quick as a camera flash. The light is more brighter like it's more concentrated in the middle with a lighter ring around it. It looks like when you aim a flashlight at the wall. The only thing where the OP and I differ is that I belive they are much higher up like in space or at the the atmosphere. He was seeing them about 5 stories high.  

They can not be seen during the day as its too bright or on cloudy days/in storms as they appear to be way up in the sky above any clouds. They are not paranormal in nature (although I won't rule out the possibility they are alien in nature but I highly doubt it). They are not transformers blowing up as transformers don't blow up 5 times a night or in the middle of the sky. I've seen exploding transformers and while they are pretty awesome to witness it was nothing like what the OP saw and what I am currently seeing. They are not alarms or security systems LEDs. Both me and the friend who always star gazes with me work for a comany that sells (what I do) and installs (what he does) alarm systems, camera systems, security systems all with LEDs. These are not the blue flash!

Now as for the meteor theory. Today is July 25th. We are currently in a meteor shower. Its alot smaller then the big one coming August 11,12,13. This current shower has about 5 shooting stars per hour as opposed to the 150 per hr like the one in August. I've been seeing multiple shooting stars and fireballs every night along with the blue flashies and they seem to be two very different things. I do think we are along the correct line of thinking tho. 

What I think they might be is space junk that is hitting into the atmosphere and burning up before ever entering. That would explain why they appear as a quick flash and don't have a tail like a meteor. Blue is also the color of high intensity heat. 

If anyone else may have any ideas that are plausible I would love to hear them! I can't find anything online that is even close to what I'm seeing.

Sorry to discount anyone. I totally belive you all saw something too it just wasn't the same as what I think I'm seeing or I think the poster saw. We are all entitled to our own opinion and this is mine. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MzMillerZ said:

They are not transformers blowing up as transformers don't blow up 5 times a night or in the middle of the sky. I've seen exploding transformers and while they are pretty awesome to witness it was nothing like what the OP saw and what I am currently seeing.

So that's it?  Did you read the thread?  You are probably simply near a switching substation.  Every time they switch circuits on a high voltage line, for whatever reason, there will be a flash or two ....  There's one near me but they don't do much switching so I have only seen it once - but that would depend on the design of your grid.

What I think they might be is space junk that is hitting into the atmosphere and burning up before ever entering.

Very unlikely, if the flashes are as common as you are claiming.  Space junk re-entries usually look like a meteor/ite, ie there's a trail with only an occasional flash as some component might explode.  In a lifetime of more than fifty years of watching the sky I've seen a few re-entries, and none involved a flash.

That would explain why they appear as a quick flash and don't have a tail like a meteor. Blue is also the color of high intensity heat.

Blue is also the colour of electrical arcing.

If anyone else may have any ideas that are plausible I would love to hear them! I can't find anything online that is even close to what I'm seeing.

As stated above, you probably should have read the rest of the thread, eg this is only a few posts back..

You are in a highly populated area, with lots of webcams recording the sky nightly (why not set up your own - they aren't very expensive.  Go join your nearest astronomy club, tell them what you are seeing and ask them what they are capturing.  Note that there are also several medical conditions that can cause such effects, although most folks would be able to tell that the flashes were not part of reality.  So if you find the astronomy folks are not seeing/recording the flashes, go see an opthalmologist.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have had the same phenomenon happen to me. 

In fact it happened to me just now, but the way Geordie described it seems weirder than my situation. Each time i've seen the blue flash (around 5 times including tonight) i'm just sitting in my room and it only happens when I'm not directly facing my window. A blue flash happens but there is nothing to cause it, no streak left by a shooting star, no transformers blowing up or anything just a sudden bright blue light that goes as quick as it shows up. It comes in varying intervals, mostly once a month. 

As has already been stated, several eye-brain problems may cause this.  Some are very serious.  I might get interested in continuing the conversation when any poster comes back giving us their doctor's opinion, or, better yet, with footage  - ie buy a security camera, or set up your camera/laptop/pc to do it.  It's not very difficult and indeed, can be free...

BTW, please don't dismiss things as solutions without explaining why.. or don't be surprised if we ignore your dismissals... 

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

My wife and I are in Germany in a farm like area with almost no big cities around. We were on our way home just after midnight (everything is pitch black) when a bright blue, laser like flash lit up the near sky in a millisecond. The light seemed to originate somewhere hovering between the clouds and the ground. It was a small, blue colored ball that resembled the color of a blue LED, and it was consistent through and through, never turning white. It appeared to expand in an explosion of light that lit everything up in that blue color, and then went completely black again. There may or may not have been a trail above the ball... the image leftover on my retina showed one, which could indicate downward movement of the ball, or vertical movement of my eyes while it was lit. There was no sound that i could hear made by it.