Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
OreoSuicide

Electronic Voice Phenomenon

27 posts in this topic

I have listened to more recordings of electronic voice phenomenon than I care to remember. Many people claim that the recordings are proof of spirits, ghosts or life after death. To be honest, of all the "evidence" that people try to flaunt as proof I think this is some of the most unconvincing. Many of the recordings seem so distorted by interference that you could interpret almost any phrase you want from the noise. The ones where the voice can be heard clearly just don't ring true to me. That probably sounds really narrow minded but I just think these things are too easy to fake. How can we tell that what is heard is the voice of a ghost or spirit? Maybe someone who is more clued up on the technology used could explain how these voices are distinguishable from those of normal everyday living people?

post-10-1090109929.jpg

er...nice picture, Oreo. blink.gif

I'm a confirmed believer in the existence of ghosts, although what they happen to be is another matter. But I think EVP is up there, or should I say down there, with orb photos. Dodgy to say the least.

As you say, the recordings sound either like they could have been done by anyone, or they are just an indistinct noise, open to any interpretation.

I know there have been a few spooky recordings that may have something to them. There is a case of BBC reporters leaving a tape recorder overnight in a haunted RAF base, and the recordings were bloody creepy. But I think the vast majority of EVP, just like the vast majority of orb photos, can be explained away by the mundane or by fakery.

Personally I too am as believer in ghosts andf have captured some very good EVP.I agree that the majority are open to interpretation but what about the small amount that are stunning?? The ones that are clear are incredibly spooky.

So if I wanted to test this electronic voice phenomenon out for myself how would I do it? What equipment would I need? Would I have to use computer technology to analyse any recordings I make or would these voices be immediatly audible when the recording is played back? I have to try this!

post-10-1090153915.jpg

On an investigation back in November we captured a really creepy EVP. Sadly, I dont think it can ever be proven to be the voices of the dead as there a squillions of radio signals all around us............

There are loads of sites that will give you any advice you need Oreo.

Posted (edited)

99% of the time, EVP is bull. I'm a believer in ghosts, but I'm sorry, I just don't believe in EVP. It's easier to fake than orb photos - all you need is a tape recorder. You can make some static by playing with a plastic bag or something, and say something very faintly in a creepy voice, and there you have it - an EVP clip. Anyone can fake it.

Edited by Wings of Selkhet

I've gotten quite a few EVP. I don't even know how you would fake something like that. I don't wanna know but if you want to do it, all you need is a cemetery or somewhere creepy, a recorder with EXTERNAL microphone, a tape and bravery. Voila.

I don't even know how you would fake something like that.

I'm afraid it's very easy to fake EVP. As has already been stated, you need a tape recorder, and someone to do a whispered 'spooky' voice.

As to why anyone would fake it, well, that's a thread on it's own.

I loved this thread. I know it's very old, but I hope some still see it to answer this!

I agree, or: would be easy to fake, anyone with any recording knowledge or even a simple four channel mixing console could make any of the EVP I've heard so far.

But there are people out there that I've heard EVP from that I am confident did not make it up. I just don't see them as that type and can't find any motive to do so. Most even say "I'm not sure what this is". Fakers would say it was for sure, don't you think.

But let's say we go with the 99%BS rule. Ok, so 99% are fakes or easily explained. What about the other 1%? How can we explain those away.

Oh, and I think this is the paranormal phenomenon with the most chance of actual proof of the cause. Some others mentioned these "are down there with orbs". What other types of proof of ghosts do you see having a better chance of being proven?

i think that there is no such things as ghosts or anything like that.

I think people make up things like that to make them selves feel better.

i think that there is no such things as ghosts or anything like that.

I think people make up things like that to make them selves feel better.

429444[/snapback]

so true yes.gif

Sadly, I dont think it can ever be proven to be the voices of the dead as there a squillions of radio signals all around us............

209996[/snapback]

I agree,It seems too confused to prove EVP.Radio waves,mobile phones,internet.etc all contribute to this effect.(aswell as a good imagination)

Its like the rumour if you point a camcorder at a telly turned on static you will record faces etc of the dead! It seems too simple and modern.

I believe in ghosts but there methods of exposure wouldn't be as obvious,Ive never heard an EVP stating caragotakle(?)who they are,when they died,who their relatives are,where the hidden savings are?,or any significant outburst.

I think its garbled messages from around the world and not from the other side

.........maybe the other side of the road from a crossed line! hmm.gif

Surely these things are spiritual and not passed along a wire! blink.gif

But I dont know,I've always wanted to do a EVP and am not a total sceptic about it! thumbsup.gif

i think that a movie about this phenomena is about to be released in the uk.

its called White Noise. It stars micheal keaton

Why would you want to fake an EVP? I'm a big prankster and all, but I would never fake anything paranormal...

Why would you want to fake an EVP? I'm a big prankster and all, but I would never fake anything paranormal...

429959[/snapback]

It's ether someone being a prankster, or someone proving/ showing how it could be done (Non-paranormally) I have faked some pictures to show how it is/could be done, but not EVP's... Maybe I should try.

Am I the only believer here? I think that EVP is very real. The explanation that I've always heard to explain it is this - that the voices claiming to be EVP's are at a super low frequency - much lower than a human voice is capable of. I'm definitely no expert, and I know that isn't a complete or "un-bunkable" explanation...but I believe anyway!

I believe they can process this white noise and always find something. Is it ghosts? No. Just random sounds.

the human voice can go no lower than like 300 (some unit here) and many evps have been found to be on a lower lever than that 300 making it impossible for a human to fake, i do realize that you can say something and put it on a computer and make it more quiet but im not sure how well tht would hold up

I've listened to several recording and have never heard anything close to what the people flaunting the tapes say they hear. I mean, they will have an entire diagloue written out, but none of it sounds close. Sounds more like they are talking to whales in a steel drum. rolleyes.gif

I'd say to all the people who don't believe it is to try it yourself. I thought EVP was kind of flakey too until I tried it myself and got results within minutes. It wasn't radio or tv interference, nobody else was home, house windows were all closed. Someone explain to me the voice that raspily whispered into the microphone of my recorder? Scared the hell out of me and haven't tried it since original.gif

I think the "voices" on the tapes are just demons. They get peoples hopes up, thinking "HOLY CRAP! I just heard my wife/g-ma/g-pa/husband/child/whatever!" Then they go and try to record more, and they get so engulfed in it that they're pretty much searching for demons!

They get peoples hopes up, thinking "HOLY CRAP! I just heard my wife/g-ma/g-pa/husband/child/whatever!" Then they go and try to record more, and they get so engulfed in it that they're pretty much searching for demons

Isn't that the premise of the new movie (White Noise) coming out this week?

They get peoples hopes up, thinking "HOLY CRAP! I just heard my wife/g-ma/g-pa/husband/child/whatever!" Then they go and try to record more, and they get so engulfed in it that they're pretty much searching for demons

Isn't that the premise of the new movie (White Noise) coming out this week?

433143[/snapback]

Thats pretty much what White Noise is about. A guy who hears his wife through an EVP, and becomes obsessed with trying to contact her but it ends up that she isnt the only one trying to get through.

I can say I was like many of you, I thought it must be someone just hearing things or some people making things up. There can't really be any good recordings of "ghost" voices. The one's I found right away in the search engines sure didn't sound like anything to me and you seem to find the same old samples at all the popular sites. But you will find more if you look a little deeper than the first search results page. (or check My Webpage for links to the best and my thoughts on each)

There are many examples to support the "people only hear what you tell them it says" theory: the White Noise movie trailer has two that are real that I know of, but there is some controversy over whether the one supposedly from ruth baxter says "I was seeing the war" since it was taped in an old civil war hospital/prison camp many years ago or "I will see you no more" which fit more with the theme of the movie and this made up hollywood baxter person.

But before everyone jumps to "they are just hearing things" or "I can't hear the voice really says anything so it must be fake or bs" we must admit that people often have trouble making out certain song lyrics (and I know the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan are real live people), not to mention the millions of misunderstood cell phone conversations around the world each and everyday, so I do have to wonder and can't just jump to any conclusions.

I also have to point out: if this really is a way to communicate with the other side, the technology would be similar in development to the earliest telephone systems which were notorious for misunderstood voices and garbled communications depending on the weather! So the poor quality of the recordings could just be caused by the crudeness of the method or inexperience on the part of the participants and not actually indicate nothing is really there.

When your cell phone drops the call, your friend doesn't cease to exist, even if you can't understand what she is saying. We don't blame bad cell phone reception on demons or our imagination because we know it's only young technology and it will get better as time goes by. We accept these amazing "Star Trek" like communication devices as normal everyday objects and almost everyone has at least one now.

But, take a cell phone back in time as little as a hundred years and they would hang you as a witch or a demon for even claiming it could do all the wonderful things modern phones do. Imagine what the people of that time might say: "pictures and voices traveling through the air on invisible waves? it's surely Satan's evil magic!". But using the "magic" of a cell phone doesn't make you an evil supernatural creature, even if the people around you don't understand the technology yet.

I have spent much of the last few weeks listening to EVP samples and learning all I can. I have heard some I didn't believe and I have heard some that will make you jump out of your seat. Hear "The best evp ever" and "a full conversation with a ghost or my fav so far "Marine staff sgt and you might think twice.

Do I know it's not demons or radio waves, pranksters or some other explanation? No. I do know there is something going on and it is pretty freaky.

I don't believe people like Rich Smith, Sarah Estep and Tom and Lisa Butler spend so much time, energy and funds on their studies just to fool some people with very little, if any, monetary compensation. Wouldn't you do a prank with some money in it? I would.

I've accidentally taped cell phone conversations and picked up radio on weird things before, but I never had any of these transmissions answer my questions, tell me where their will was or say my name!

Ghosts, demons, time travel or aliens from another dimension? Who knows, but until we look into it instead of just making fun and jumping to conclusions since "I listened to five or six samples and I didn't hear anything so it's all crazy talk and you could fake it so easily with a computer" (which won't fly because half the great EVP out there was recorded before the PC was even invented!), we shall never learn the truth.

I intend to do all I can to help discover the cause and learn the truth. I'd like to know one way or the other. I can't just discount the phenomenon because I don't understand it.

I hope you won't either.

I also beleive in ghosts but i never heard a recorded voice of a ghost. My friends mother has a very evil baseent, well its evil to me but when she was putting a microphone to the vent thats leads to the basement. She heard this stanic voice say softly, "Their upstairs". But i beleive their house is haunted anyway so it didn't scare me so much...