Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gathering Information on the Internet

Magikman

Some of you may find this interesting;

"The World-Wide Web or Internet is a vast interconnected storehouse of information, a virtually infinite fount of knowledge, a playground for the mind, the natural home of both intellectuals and seekers after the legendary utopian cornucopia.

You can learn a bunch and have a whole lot of fun. But don't go out without your hip boots. There is some very weird stuff out there! The Web is a fount not only of information but also of misinformation and delusion, and so much of it is not marked in any way that if you tend to believe everything you read (perhaps especially on a computer screen) you will surface from the Web so coated with manure that you will need to shower with a fire hose.

Is there any sign of hope out there? Or must the unwary inevitably come home with their minds soaked in nonsense? The Web is open to all, and it mightily resists censorship of all kinds, sexual, political, and intellectual. (I wouldn't have it any other way.) So the nonsense will remain. It will even increase, probably beyond all belief--at last report, the number of Internet users was expected to double this year, up by 100 million people, and it is not about to stop there.

And then there are the skeptics' groups (briefly, they insist on objective evidence and therefore rule out very little on strictly a priori grounds).

We need these groups and projects and kook collectors. We always have, but in the pre-Web past they had more trouble reaching the public than did the kooks, who were sometimes willing to spend every penny they had to self-publish and proselytize. The Web makes reaching the public easier and cheaper for the kooks, but it does precisely the same for the forces of reason. Perhaps better yet, it makes it easier than ever for the public to be skeptical, to learn what studies have been done to evaluate strange claims and to check plausibility (how long has that Antarctic ice been there?) or technical accuracy (is water really electrically negative? What was that about photon belts? Roboroaches?).

Used properly, the Web can help you stay out of humanity's intellectual cess-pits. Then you can leave those hip boots at home."

Thought it was a well written critique of the benefits and shortfalls encountered when using the internet. Any thoughts?

MAGIKMAN

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magikman

• reese92

• Homer

• Mr-X

Wow,

Right away she turns on me. :'(

And yes, I do have friends. In fact, I'm going to go and call them right now. I have the number right here someplace, here it is 1-800-CALL-ME-BIGBOY.

MAGIKMAN

Guest Guest

:-X  Again with the priviliged information! That number will remain sealed inside my head!!!  You better be glad I am not a stalker, or else you would be in big trouble!!   :-*

:o  Never could I turn on you;  You keep my head spinning, and really isn't that all it's about? :-*

TERESA

Guest Guest

Let's see if you restrain yourself this time, I know you can think of something witty to say too that!! :-*

Teresa,

Proper decorum suggests a gentleman must always maintain a degree of restraint,;) although I find myself failing horribly at this from time to time (we are, in most of our minds anyway, only human, aren’t we?) :-/ Some of the humorous comments, while sometimes feeble, are safety valves used to vent frustration.

Head spinning, by the way, carries some sort of devilish connotation, (among other unspoken inferences) am I correct?:D I assure you, I am not the spawn of Satan, contrary to what others might think. Its nice to know that I am having some positive effect, however limited. Now if I could only get Mr. X to understand that 2 + 2  doesn’t equal 5.

MAGIKMAN

:-*

How did I know that you would catch on to the, "head spinning" comment???  Mr. X, just doesn't have a way with ladies, like you... :-*

Your mystique, is killing me, I would love, and that is not an understatement, to know who you are, and what really makes your head 'spin'.  Let's just say your intelligence; is mysterious, and I will be the first to be human and admit, that, that is the ultimate turn on, for a woman that wants a little intellectual stimulation instead of other stimulating situations.  (I know, I left it wide open there) but I get the feeling you kinda like that in a woman,

TERESA    :-*

Teresa,

No, not mysterious at all, although I must admit it is a desirable persona. I pride myself in being well spoken but am a man of modest intelligence. I am inquisitive, thoughtful, courteous, helpful, dopey, goofy....:D imagine one of the seven dwarfs becoming a boy scout. I'd like to think that I am well read and am somewhat of a history buff. You did correctly surmise my analytical nature, logic has an influence on my perception of reality. Interestingly, I love all things having to do with magic, hence the name, and while certainly not a master of prestidigitation, I can perform some amazing tricks(some seeming to defy logic, what a coincidence, hey?). Being a magician, I am well versed in the areas of deceit and deception, and therefore know of what I speak when it comes to recognizing the same in other people.  Does that help?  

MAGIKMAN

Guest Guest

Yes, it helps.  I guess you could say, I too, am an illusionist as well.  Just of a different nature.  I am intriqued, to say the least, that you can surpass me in the aspect of knowledge.  It is a rarety, indeed.  Respect is given when deserved.

Teresa   :-*

magikman,

2+2=5 Bleep i didnt know that. Thanks for that magikman.

By the way ladies magikman might seem to be GOD like but i always wonder what he actually looks like. Ladies what do you think he looks like.

magikman how old are you????

Another thing i am gods gift to women ha ha ha.

Mr-X 8)

:o

I am sure you are very suave, he has this sort of power in his words, that even you notice.  I am sure he is, purely logical guessing, a man that doesn't go to clubs and all heads turn his way; but to some people intelligence is everything, it opens the pathway for alot of different spectrums.  I imagine him too be older.  I am sure you are a looker, too!   And, dear, God's gift to women is merely making our lucky butts!

I am sure from my writings I appear to people in many differnent lights, maybe weird, unfunctional, all sorts of things.  He, personally, intriques me becuase ge rebute's everything I say.  I am a believer of practically everything impossible, but he along with alot of other people see things as improbable untill proven otherwise, which, is a very good thing to do.  Peace :-*

Mr X

You should know what Magikman looks like, he posted a picture of himself in the "intraducing Magikman!" thread in the general discussion topic when he first made Senior Member.

Hey Teresa, hows it going? I just started posting on this forum right before you took some time off. I have been reading this forum for a couple months before ever becoming a member, so I remember well how you and Magikman used to go at it ;D  Glad to have you back.

Homer[glow=color,strength,width]

Well thanks for the welcome back, Homer.  Yes, we certainly had our share of debates, didn't we??  Ofcourse, that is until he saw the light!!  hehehe

He is going to love that statement.  You know the old saying, keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer.  Hhmmmmmmm???  I had to take some time off, but certainly am glad to be back, if I could get my flipping scanner to work, I could send a picture just so everybody has an idea of what I look like. :o  I think I would shock alot of people, as did Magikman with his picture; you have to admit it took alot of guts for him to crawl from beneath his bridge and finally share what he looks like with others.   I think he has started a revolution, I am now ready for my face to be seen.  hehehehe  Smooches   :-*

• 1 month later...

Which are the best search engines to use?  Are some search engines better at find certain information than others?

The Doctor

Doc,

I personally like the search engine at www.google.com as it accesses the most websites on the internet (currently 1.4 billion sites). Its greatest feature is the advanced search function that allows you to set stricter search parameters. The next most popular would be the yahoo search engine, it does an excellent job of grouping websites with like content. It also uses the google search engine as a backup.

The answer to your second question is yes, some search engines are better suited or specifically designed to handle category specific searches. Click on the link below, it will take you to an informative site that acts as a teaching guide to the use of search engines. It also has an extensive list of search engines for you to use, use the drop down menu's on the left side of the screen. I hope this helps.

http://www.searchengines.com/

MAGIKMAN