Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spirits Calling Your Name

Toolite

From time to time I will hear a spirit call my name... has anyone had this experience and do you know why they do that...

I've been told many times not to answer but, I was just looking for someone that has a resonable explanation as to why that happens..

All The Glory BElongs To God Forever!

• Like 4

I have heard my name being called when there is no one else around, but it ALWAYS happens as I am falling off to sleep, so I put it down to hypnagogia and forget about it lol.

• Like 4

I have heard my name being called when there is no one else around, but it ALWAYS happens as I am falling off to sleep, so I put it down to hypnagogia and forget about it lol.

I still want to know why they do it..

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!

If its a case of hypnagogia it's not caused by spirits but by the human brain. Its a sort of waking dream...you are not fully asleep but still partially dreaming.

I have had all sorts of experiences as a result of hypnagogia including hearing my name being called out, hearing my mothers voice (just after she died) say 'Goodbye my darling', hearing other people talking in the room when I am alone and one night even waking up to what felt like a slap across the face lol.

The slap certainly felt very real as my face was still stinging as I woke but as I was alone in the room and sleeping at the time I assumed I had either slapped myself or I had dreamed it lol.

I just rolled over and went back to sleep lol.

Another similar instance would be when I was lying in bed awake and alone and felt someone blowing on top of my head. I looked up but there was no one there. As I can sometimes have a tendency to actually start dreaming before I'm fully asleep (complex dreams not just odd things like someone calling me) and I am usually aware that I am dreaming when it occurs, I just put it down to the fact that I must have started falling asleep without realising it.

I take medication at night and that can affect things too.

• Like 3

Repeat post made by mistake...

(moody pc this afternoon lol)

Edited by Moonlight_Magic

It's happened to me at various times, various places, in and out of the house. The calling is vey clear, always female, sometimes using my full names, other times just my "every day name", times happy, times stern, Always varies how close or how far away it comes from. If it ever starts wakin' me up, tellin' me it's time to get up and go to work, I am moving, though I doubt I can move awaay fro it.

There was one time when i was younger and heard my something say my name in my parents room. it was night time (so the room was pitch black) and everyone was downstairs. i went to the bathroom, walked by and heard something say my name in a very deep voice. i was kind of frozen for a second, then ran downstairs.

i wrote a story about it later in school and had to share it with the class. the teacher called my mom, and the school counselor had to talk to me about it <_<

Edited by NJ Weirdo
  • Like 2

This happened to me once, I went outside to grab a smoke and a female voice called out my name, I said "what" and then she said it again, I said "WHAT!" but no one was there. As I made my way back inside I noticed my dog had come out of his dog house, I called him over but he wouldn't come, he kept looking at the lower left side of my body and seemed scared, he would not get near me, I looked down to check if something was there (around me) and saw nothing, I got a little scared and went back inside. I have also heard that you're not supposed to answer, don't really know what it means or who or what its actually talking to you, maybe it was that you were doing something bad at the time, can't really think of anything else.

I hear either my name being called or "HEY!" all the time when I am by myself or when no one else is around to say anything. Even when the Tvs are off. It's a Disembodied Voice (lol) ;) . Mediums run in the women on my mother's side of the family so I wouldn't doubt it if it was a spirit trying to get my attention.

I once thought I heard a demonic voice calling my name, but it was during a short period of consciousness after I had been asleep. So I attribute it to just something sleep-related.

• Like 1

I have heard auditory hallucinations after missing a lot of sleep. But those voices were in my head, and not outside noise. If you can understand the difference between the two. Did you hear the voice "in your head", or was it an outside noise? A good way to tell what I mean is, say your name in your head then say it out loud.

My sister and I quite often hear a male voice (that sounds uncannily like our dad's) in our house calling our names. I have only ever heard my name called, but my sister says she has heard both of our names and more often than not it's my name being called (she finds this especially weird when neither my dad nor I are home). I have never had it happen to me when I've been asleep or am about to go to sleep; I am always wide awake and we hear the voice at various times of the day or evening. If this wasn't the case, I would put it down to being sleep-related. We have also tried to debunk it as being TV or radio noise, or sounds carrying in off the street, but quite often we can find nothing to explain the voice.

I've also heard that you aren't supposed to answer a disembodied voice, but the amount of times I've called out 'what?' because I thought it actually was my dad kinda makes me think that nothing bad is going to happen.

I used to hear the name "Debbie" in my head all the time.

I dunno.

I have heard auditory hallucinations after missing a lot of sleep. But those voices were in my head, and not outside noise. If you can understand the difference between the two. Did you hear the voice "in your head", or was it an outside noise? A good way to tell what I mean is, say your name in your head then say it out loud.

Good call.

Thats also common in schizophrenia as well. Who knows if theyre suffering from it or not.

• Like 1

I have heard a voice in my home during the day when I was alone say my name twice, my sister has also heard her name said once also in the day time, it was not like we were sleeping I mean I went to go and see who was in the house ofcourse nobody was home. One night I was on the backporch while my dog was out in the yard and I heard pssst psst come here it freaked me out and I was alone in a fenced inyard I have no explination for where that voice came from.

If its a case of hypnagogia it's not caused by spirits but by the human brain. Its a sort of waking dream...you are not fully asleep but still partially dreaming.

I have had all sorts of experiences as a result of hypnagogia including hearing my name being called out, hearing my mothers voice (just after she died) say 'Goodbye my darling', hearing other people talking in the room when I am alone and one night even waking up to what felt like a slap across the face lol.

The slap certainly felt very real as my face was still stinging as I woke but as I was alone in the room and sleeping at the time I assumed I had either slapped myself or I had dreamed it lol.

I just rolled over and went back to sleep lol.

Another similar instance would be when I was lying in bed awake and alone and felt someone blowing on top of my head. I looked up but there was no one there. As I can sometimes have a tendency to actually start dreaming before I'm fully asleep (complex dreams not just odd things like someone calling me) and I am usually aware that I am dreaming when it occurs, I just put it down to the fact that I must have started falling asleep without realising it.

I take medication at night and that can affect things too.

This I am fully awake.. I had an experience where Gabriel (Arch Angel) came to me in a dream standing over my head directly and I could see his wings which were huge and came to the ground but, as I was waking up I could hear his wings moving in front of the fan now that was amazing.. But, I understand why He came to me..

This happened to me once, I went outside to grab a smoke and a female voice called out my name, I said "what" and then she said it again, I said "WHAT!" but no one was there. As I made my way back inside I noticed my dog had come out of his dog house, I called him over but he wouldn't come, he kept looking at the lower left side of my body and seemed scared, he would not get near me, I looked down to check if something was there (around me) and saw nothing, I got a little scared and went back inside. I have also heard that you're not supposed to answer, don't really know what it means or who or what its actually talking to you, maybe it was that you were doing something bad at the time, can't really think of anything else.

Animals are more sensitive to spirits because they don't have the confusion of over analyzing like we do.. Babies can sense because they haven't been taught to over analyze things.. that's why we miss alot of things because we try to compare it to scientific understanding (the world) but, everyone doesn't get the experience..

I know they are spirits but, I don't know what they want..

I hear either my name being called or "HEY!" all the time when I am by myself or when no one else is around to say anything. Even when the Tvs are off. It's a Disembodied Voice (lol) ;) . Mediums run in the women on my mother's side of the family so I wouldn't doubt it if it was a spirit trying to get my attention.

Yes I am sure that's true.,. I also have been told it takes alot energy for them to talk - plus they have to learn. So maybe they are just excited that we heard and is working on communicating..

I once thought I heard a demonic voice calling my name, but it was during a short period of consciousness after I had been asleep. So I attribute it to just something sleep-related.

When I hear I am awake.. once I was in at a get together with people and loud music. that was amazing..

All The Glory BElongs To God Forever!

When spirits call my name it's like a person outside actually called me.. I've had spirits come to me and no words spoken but, I could feel the message (telepathically).. So since when they call my name it is different I was just wondering if it had a certain meaning..

I've also heard someone call my name, I was at work and waiting to clock back in from lunch. At that time our timeclock was in the middle of the warehouse and waited right by it. I heard a man's voice call my name very clearly and very loud, loud enough that I turned around and said "what?" Only there was no one there, I looked around and did not see anyone and if anyone had been hiding they would have to go past me to go through the warehouse doors as it is the only way in or out of there. There were two guys working that night but both were up front wiht customers. When I told everyone what had happened, no one would go back there by themselves the rest of the night.

I've also heard someone call my name, I was at work and waiting to clock back in from lunch. At that time our timeclock was in the middle of the warehouse and waited right by it. I heard a man's voice call my name very clearly and very loud, loud enough that I turned around and said "what?" Only there was no one there, I looked around and did not see anyone and if anyone had been hiding they would have to go past me to go through the warehouse doors as it is the only way in or out of there. There were two guys working that night but both were up front wiht customers. When I told everyone what had happened, no one would go back there by themselves the rest of the night.

I can relate to that - so maybe it's just to get your attention.. I had spirits calling me before I ever seen people spirits.. I use the term people because they look like people vs the black shadows that are outlines of people with no detail. First, I thought it was just to let you know they are there are let you know you have a gift you can hear and see but, I am still looking for a good reason why they call you..

One time, while under the influence of L?D I heard a voice calling my name while I was in a dark room by myself, then I remembered that I was on L?D and realized I was hallucinating and I laughed and laughed! HAHAHAHA!!

Animals are more sensitive to spirits because they don't have the confusion of over analyzing like we do.. Babies can sense because they haven't been taught to over analyze things.. that's why we miss alot of things because we try to compare it to scientific understanding (the world) but, everyone doesn't get the experience..

I know they are spirits but, I don't know what they want..

That sounds nice, which is why people say it. In reality, it's just your unproven opinion. I only reply to ask that you might write it out as such (your opinion), instead of as fact, as you have here.

I have heard the same things, including the word "Hey!". In my case, it sometimes happened while I was home alone. My dogs ran barking toward where the voice came from.

I have no clue why that happened.